The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Abdication & Inauguration 2013

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
The Duke of Windsor didn't hold the title of the Duke of Windsor from birth or before he ascended the throne- it was created for him in the aftermath of the abdication.

It doesn't much matter though since we all know it's never going to happen. Queen Elizabeth will be queen til the end of her life.
I was referring to the title he held after his abdication and before he was created the Duke of Windsor - The Prince Edward - which was automatically his as the son of the Sovereign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think Queen Elizabeth II will only step down and let Charles take over if she's not capable to carry on her role as Monarch due to a horrible illness or something. Other than that, I really don't see her abdicating either.

Then again, we really don't know what will happen in the future.
To be honest, I don't see Queen Elizabeth abdicating under any circumstances, including a severe mental or physical ilness.
Should the Queen be unable to carry out her duties for whatever reason, Prince Charles will be made a Regent but for the British, abdication just isn't a option.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Do you know if there's a consorts mantle?
No,there's no consorts mantle,Máxima isn't inaugurated ,only her hubby..

And to some other posters

THIS thread is on Willem Alexander and Máxima,not aunty lillibeth and her offspring...next time...This is The Netherlands,not the islands off our coast...grin...

Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
No,there's no consorts mantle,Máxima isn't inaugurated ,only her hubby..

And to some other posters

THIS thread is on Willem Alexander and Máxima,not aunty lillibeth and her offspring...next time...This is The Netherlands,not the islands off our coast...grin...
We did go off-topic a bit, sorry.
Is there any role at all for the Sovereign's Consort during the Inauguration ceremony or Maxima will just basically sit next to Willem-Alexander throughout the ceremony?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Is there any role at all for the Sovereign's Consort during the Inauguration ceremony or Maxima will just basically sit next to Willem-Alexander throughout the ceremony?
I was curious about that too. And is there any ceremonial garb for the consort?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
No,no other role then to be present...and impress no doubt!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I was referring to the title he held after his abdication and before he was created the Duke of Windsor - The Prince Edward - which was automatically his as the son of the Sovereign.

To be honest, I don't see Queen Elizabeth abdicating under any circumstances, including a severe mental or physical ilness.
Should the Queen be unable to carry out her duties for whatever reason, Prince Charles will be made a Regent but for the British, abdication just isn't a option.
Right, that's what I'm trying to get at. If The Queen is unable to carry on her job as Monarch, she will most likely step aside and have Charles take over. Not really talking about an actual abdication.

I really try facing reality and realize Elizabeth II isn't the same 26 year old who look like she can go on forever. She's approaching her 90's and there's really no guarantee that her health will remain as it is now (hoping that she will remain healthy). I do think Charles will likely become a Regent.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
No,no other role then to be present...and impress no doubt!
And that she will do very well (impress) !
Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Majesty

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the ceremony. I think it will be streamed Live online and TV.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert
Can there not be peer pressure for other monarchies to follow suit. This is a Dutch tradition. My main problem with this is Beatrix going back to being a Princess. It just doesn't sound right.
If this was directed at me, I was only saying that this could be the start of a new royal era. Maybe the aging European monarchs will still be alive and robust 10 years from now, but some are already showing signs of declining health. King Juan Carlos is one. King Harald V has had cancer and heart surgery. My point is, Europe's monarchs are aging and they'll have to scale back their work, leaving room for their heirs to take over. Maybe some will abdicate, it remains to be seen.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

The only Head of State in Europe who's crowned these days is the British one. The rest have inaugurations or enthronements or proclamations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
So my hopes for a splendiferous coronation have just been dashed and all I can expect is some dreary civil ceremony is a city hall somewhere? I guess seeing how my favorite foreign royals interpret gowns-with-hats still holds some appeal.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

If that will be , but I really don't think we will have a King of the Netherlands, King of Denmark, King of Great Britain . Kings of Belgium, Norway and Spain and only one Queen Queen Victoria of Sweden.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm hoping that at the upcoming Investiture Ceremony of the King that we'll get to see all 3 of Queen Beatrix's sisters and members of the extended Dutch royal family!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
If that will be , but I really don't think we will have a King of the Netherlands, King of Denmark, King of Great Britain . Kings of Belgium, Norway and Spain and only one Queen Queen Victoria of Sweden.
Not sure what you mean here. The future heirs are indeed as you wrote above so what are you expecting to change?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
Suggestion for Maxima: Have Valentino make your inauguration dress, he did such a great job for your wedding dress!
There is no doubt that Maxima will look very regal and every bit a queen whatever she wears. It wouldn't surprise me if she chose something inspired by the inauguration costumes of Beatrix or Juliana - an unadorned (apart from jewels) plain silk creation in white or sapphire blue!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Majesty

I'm excited that I will get a chance to watch this ceremony and share in the experience with you all.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Courtier

Do you think other monarchs and royal houses were told in advance? In some ways I'd be very surprised if they were as the news could leak out but on the other hand wouldn't they need to give notice to other Royals so they can make sure they are free to attend the ceremony (if they are going to). With the BRF wedding we heard that other Royal Courts has been faxed a save the date note before the date was known.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Do you think other monarchs and royal houses were told in advance? In some ways I'd be very surprised if they were as the news could leak out but on the other hand wouldn't they need to give notice to other Royals so they can make sure they are free to attend the ceremony (if they are going to). With the BRF wedding we heard that other Royal Courts has been faxed a save the date note before the date was known.
I do believe the other royals were given notice ahead of time. It's such a major event so yeah I think so.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was surprised but shouldn't have been as it is their tradition.
Every time I see her out on so many trips and formal occasions I really feel for her and admire her for keeping going. It must be so hard for her because of Frisco.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I do believe the other royals were given notice ahead of time. It's such a major event so yeah I think so.
I remember reading somewhere that Juliana personally phoned each of the reigning monarchs to tell them of her intentions to abdicate. If this is the case, I believe that Beatrix would do the same.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I'm hoping that at the upcoming Investiture Ceremony of the King that we'll get to see all 3 of Queen Beatrix's sisters and members of the extended Dutch royal family!
Yes,they will all be in attendance at the ceremony in the Nieuwe Kerk in the afternoon,and no doubt the same for the Signing of the Act of Abdication at the Royal Palace in the morning,but not all as prominent then since the Mozes Hall of the Palace,can't hold all of them plus the government,officals plus plus plus...grin..

Tags
abdication, crown prince willem-alexander, enthronement, king willem-alexander, prince of orange, prince willem-alexander, queen beatrix