Abdication of Queen Beatrix & Inauguration of Willem-Alexander: Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to send a little card and gift. We have a fabulous Hallmark nearby. I'm hoping that I can find an "On your Royal Investiture Ceremony," but what if all I can find is "On your Coronation?" Would it be gauche to send the latter?

Anyone know if there's a Precious Moments figurine of a guy with a crown? I have enough Gold Crown points to get one.

I remember reading somewhere that Juliana personally phoned each of the reigning monarchs to tell them of her intentions to abdicate. If this is the case, I believe that Beatrix would do the same.

Has anybody read something about official reactions of the other royal houses?
I rembember that sometimes they congratulate each other officially with for instance an anniversary of reign.

I wondered: will Beatrix continue to attend official events like Prinsjesdag, incoming State visits and so on?

I wondered: will Beatrix continue to attend official events like Prinsjesdag, incoming State visits and so on?

i've been wondering the same, just how and many and what engagements/duties will Princess Beatrix carry out. Personally I think it best she doesn't attend such events as state visits, Prinsjesdag etc for the first year or two so as to allow the new King and Queen to settle in. And to be honest whats the point in abdicating just to then carry on as before?

What did her mother and father do after the 1980 abdication? I do think the new King & Queen should be allowed time to establish themselves, especially on state occassions, without the ex monarch hovering around.

No,there's no consorts mantle,Máxima isn't inaugurated ,only her hubby..:)

And to some other posters

THIS thread is on Willem Alexander and Máxima,not aunty lillibeth and her offspring...next time...This is The Netherlands,not the islands off our coast...grin...

Since it has been a very long time since The Netherlands had a Queen Consort I looked at what previous Dutch Queen Consorts wore on the big day. Anna wore an ermine trimmed gown and a robe that was also ermine trimmed. Sophie wore an ermine trimmed gown as well.
Siince it has been so very long since there was a Queen Consort I think Maxima has a pretty free reign as to what she will wear on April 30th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where will Princess Beatrix be placed in gatherings involving members of various royal families? Weddings, christenings, funerals, etc?

:previous:
I think that largely remains to be seen. Abdication is not something that is all that common anywhere else but the Netherlands so I don't think there are any strict protocol rules. My guess (not supported by any evidence ) is Beatrix's ranking will be below that of the reigning monarchs but above or equal to that of heirs apparent and presumptive.

Last edited:
That's an interesting wording; it's almost as if the foreign crowned Heads of State are effectively banned from attending (won't receive an invitation).

As a rule Reigning Monarchs are never invited to Enthronement ceremonies.Only on the islands off our coast...grin..:)

Saw a question further down on Prinsjesdag,No,Princess Beatrix will never attend Prinsjesdag again.After her Abdication she is "dead" .
Her mother used to watch the procession from the window at the Cabinet of the Queen close to the Hall of Knights.She was often seen there with the grandchildren and daughter Christina.

As for other future Royal gatherings,the then Princess Beatrix will almost most certain have a place that honours her,ie,among her "former collegues" just as was the case with then Princess Juliana abroad who always was 'the guest of honour" and thus in the middle,amidst the Monarchs.

She might be in attendance during some incoming ( Royal-) State Visits but apart from that will have no part in official functions per sé any longer.None.

Since it has been a very long time since The Netherlands had a Queen Consort I looked at what previous Dutch Queen Consorts wore on the big day. Anna wore an ermine trimmed gown and a robe that was also ermine trimmed. Sophie wore an ermine trimmed gown as well.
Siince it has been so very long since there was a Queen Consort I think Maxima has a pretty free reign as to what she will wear on April 30th.

The then Queen Máxima will wear a long robe & diademe,but not a ermine trimmed mantle or anything of the kind,no,only HM The King will.:)

Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien will stay in Brussels after the abdication. The RVD said that they will assist the new royal couple 'within the limits of their carreer'.Prine Constantijn is working for Euro commissioner Neelie Kroes, while Laurentien is a communication advisor. The prince and princess have to provide a living for themselves and do not receive any money from the government. Because of this, the prince already said before that it would be difficult to stop working.

Constantijn en Laurentien blijven in Brussel - Nieuws | Altijd op de hoogte van het laatste nieuws met Telegraaf.nl [Troonsafstand]

Last edited:
Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien will stay in Brussels after the abdication. The RVD said that they will assist the new royal couple 'within the limits of their carreer'. Prince Constantijn is working for Euro commissioner Neelie Kroes, while Laurentien is a communication advisor. The prince and princess have to provide a living for themselves and do not receive any money from the government. Because of this, the prince already said before that it would be difficult to stop working.

Constantijn en Laurentien blijven in Brussel - Nieuws | Altijd op de hoogte van het laatste nieuws met Telegraaf.nl [Troonsafstand]

Thanks for the info.

I was also wondering how the abdication would affect Constantijn and Laurentien. Until Amalia, Alexia and Ariane come of age someone basically needs to fill the void (i.e.royal patronages, events, tours, etc.). Wilhem and Maxima provided great support to Beatrix in regards to royal activties, and since they are essentially taking over, and Beatrix stepping to the side, I wondered who would fill the void.

Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien will stay in Brussels after the abdication. The RVD said that they will assist the new royal couple 'within the limits of their carreer'.Prince Constantijn is working for Euro commissioner Neelie Kroes, while Laurentien is a communication advisor. The prince and princess have to provide a living for themselves and do not receive any money from the government. Because of this, the prince already said before that it would be difficult to stop working.

I always thought the Dutch royals had very significant private wealth... not that well off people don't also choose to work, but my impression, (incorrect, apparently), was that Beatrix's sons didn't need their jobs to financially support themselves.

In any case, I'm not surprised Constantijn and Laurentien won't be uprooting their lives come April.

As a rule Reigning Monarchs are never invited to Enthronement ceremonies.Only on the islands off our coast...grin..:)

It is not the tradition in the UK (aka those islands off your coast) either. The "monarchs" who attended in 1953 were not monarchs of independent nations but of British protected states like Tonga and Zanzibar.

I always thought the Dutch royals had very significant private wealth... not that well off people don't also choose to work, but my impression, (incorrect, apparently), was that Beatrix's sons didn't need their jobs to financially support themselves.

In any case, I'm not surprised Constantijn and Laurentien won't be uprooting their lives come April.

They indeed do not need the money they get from work,but making yourself usefull and deploy ones talents is far more important to them...And an example...!

Even tho Constantijn and Laurentien will continue to live in Brussels....for the time being...They will be at the disposal of the King if he needs them just like all other members of the Royal Family,including Princess Beatrix,just as is the case now.And maybe gradually take up more of a supporting role....They don't need to move to The Netherlands for that,Brussels isn't that far.

Some more info on the National Investiture Committee and added info on the Royal House website:

Abdication and investiture in Amsterdam | News item | Government.nl

Pressemitteilungen - Het Koninklijk Huis

News - Het Koninklijk Huis

I doubt that finances are the real reason. It seems that the prince and the princess enjoy their professional carreers. And besides, the new king and queen can also ask 'support' from Princess Beatrix, Princess Margriet and Prof. Pieter. They won't be retiring from public life. However, in 10 years from now things may have changed.

Last edited:
Yes, yes, this is all such interesting information.

But if I were Dutch, this would be the burning question: Do we get the day off work and school????? :cool:

Fashion

What are the Fashion AND Hat-Designer of the dutch Royal Family and what are the favorits for the coronation?!

Yes, yes, this is all such interesting information.

But if I were Dutch, this would be the burning question: Do we get the day off work and school????? :cool:

As is usual on Queensdays,schools yes!Work,depends what you do and if any collegue asked the day off earlyer then you...in healthcare fe......grin...

Last edited:
The new head of state and his wife plan to visit the entire Kingdom, 29 January 2013

Within a year of ascending the throne, King Willem-Alexander, accompanied by Queen Máxima, will visit all the Dutch provinces and the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom.
Can someone tell me how many Duch provinces there are, or point me to the information. Just how large is the Netherlands in square miles/meters. I am trying to get a visual of how many visits this will be.

The new head of state and his wife plan to visit the entire Kingdom, 29 January 2013

Within a year of ascending the throne, King Willem-Alexander, accompanied by Queen Máxima, will visit all the Dutch provinces and the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom.
Can someone tell me how many Duch provinces there are, or point me to the information. Just how large is the Netherlands in square miles/meters. I am trying to get a visual of how many visits this will be.

Great! They get to fly into St. Maarten! The people can stand on Maho Beach and wave to them. So exciting.

The Netherlands has a total area of 41,526 square kilometers (16,485 square miles) Apparently it's the same size as Maryland, USA.

And if they were to visit every province only, it would be about 12 visits as we have 12 provinces, the Caribbean parts not included.

Thanks for the information. It help me visualize things. I live in Wisconsin and my son lives in Maryland. That is 1000 miles away. A 20 hour drive. Where i grew up in Missouri is 600 miles from where i now live. You can see my problem in visualizing a small country.

The Netherlands has a total area of 41,526 square kilometers (16,485 square miles) Apparently it's the same size as Maryland, USA.

And if they were to visit every province only, it would be about 12 visits as we have 12 provinces, the Caribbean parts not included.
As a comparison Denmark is approximately same size and Sweden 175,000+ square miles. Holland is a rather small country landmass wise.

We are one of the most densely populated country in the world though. (397 per km²)

That's an interesting wording; it's almost as if the foreign crowned Heads of State are effectively banned from attending (won't receive an invitation).

In Blauw Bloed, a dutch royalty TV program, it was explained that it is protocol.
A new souvereign has to visit the other souvereigns first in their country and then they will visit him and his country.

Thank you for the information, cdm.
I never knew about that particular protocol rule. Do you know whether it's unique to the Dutch Royal House, all Monarchies?

I think tis is a great news!! why betrix not will be queen mother? it's for protocol????
May be she can be more time with friso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom