The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Abdication & Inauguration 2013

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water View Post
I admire Queen Beatrix making a very smart decision. The Dutch royal house is very modern. Abdication is the best way to pass the crown to the next generation. I wish Queen Beatrix has very peaceful days after that and enjoy with her family. Wish WA and Maxima and their family get well with the new positions soon. WA and Maxima are the earliest to become king and queen among the European royals. Amalia will be the crown princess~~~

Queen Beatrix took the right decision. After almost 33 years of reign, she found it right to pass the batton to the next generation. Willem-Alexander and Maxima are well prepared for the task.
I do hope that this decision will inspire other monarchs to do the same.
Good luck to the future monarchs of Netherlands.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM

This is the beginning of a new era for European monarchies. 10 years from now, many of the other aging monarchs will reduce their workload more or actually step aside for their heirs. The new generation of monarchs is at hand.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
This is the beginning of a new era for European monarchies. 10 years from now, many of the other aging monarchs will reduce their workload more or actually step aside for their heirs. The new generation of monarchs is at hand.
I think we should talk about 20 years.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa

I think we should talk about 20 years.
Then those monarchs will be in their 90s, if they make it that far.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Courtier

Can there not be peer pressure for other monarchies to follow suit. This is a Dutch tradition. My main problem with this is Beatrix going back to being a Princess. It just doesn't sound right.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Majesty

Did Juliana have health problem when she Abdicated. What was her role efter Abdication.

Did Beatrix and Claus have a introduktion years so to speak visisting all contys in the nertherlands?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm wondering if Willem-Alexander will wear the wonderful royal mantle that previous monarchs have worn at the Investiture Ceremony and also if there's one for the queen consort?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Serene Highness

I'm curious to see it aswell. The last time it was outed for Beatrix inaugration it was in a bad condition.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I'm wondering if Willem-Alexander will wear the wonderful royal mantle that previous monarchs have worn at the Investiture Ceremony and also if there's one for the queen consort?
According to the website of the RF, he will wear it.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I can see some foreign royals attending - edward and sophie from britain, phillippe and mathidle from belgium, guillame and stephanie from luxembourg, victoria and daniel from sweden, haakon and mette-marit from norway and fred and mary from denmark, Maybe albert and charlene from monaco

Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Info from the special meeting of the government:

HM the Queen does NOT want a national present, as is customary. She thinks that this is not appropriate in the present economic circumstances

A special commission under the direction of former (D66) minister and former AkzoNobel CEO Hans Wijers will organise the parties around event. A special commission chaired by the prime minister will organise the actual ceremonies.

Koningin Beatrix ziet af van geschenk - Binnenland | Het laatste nieuws uit Nederland leest u op Telegraaf.nl [binnenland]

Apart from the IOC membership, the new king will also lay down his UN functions. At the moment he is the chairman of the UNSGAB, a UN advisory board about water & sanitation.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/12364...ies-neer.dhtml
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
According to the website of the RF, he will wear it.
Thanks I must have missed that part,looking forward to seeing it again!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Commemorative flags have been issued in Holland

http://i45.tinypic.com/2dkzchs.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/iye6ur.jpg
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

Yes he will.White tie and the Royal Mantle,except the original was lost after 1948,so the one Queen Beatrix used was fake...just as well nowadays...with all being green and animal awareness groups.

Commemorative flags:

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1399010

@ Josefine,No,Queen Juliana didn't have health problems.
And the young Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus visited all the Provinces in the year after Beatrix became Queen,as will Willem Alexander and Máxima as well as visits to the Dutch Caribbean countries of Curacao,Aruba and St.Maarten and the Municipalities of Bonaire,Eustatius and Saba within a year.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Majesty

I just think it's good that Queen Beatrix is stepping down on a good and healthy note, rather than for bad health reasons or because of her passing.

Also, it's good to see the throne being passed down to the younger generation of royals.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Yes he will.White tie and the Royal Mantle,except the original was lost after 1948,so the one Queen Beatrix used was fake...just as well nowadays...with all being green and animal awareness groups.
Do you know if there's a consorts mantle?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Courtier

Suggestion for Maxima: Have Valentino make your inauguration dress, he did such a great job for your wedding dress!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Can there not be peer pressure for other monarchies to follow suit. This is a Dutch tradition. My main problem with this is Beatrix going back to being a Princess. It just doesn't sound right.
A bit off-topic but should Queen Elizabeth ever abdicate, she would be known as Her Royal Highness The Princess Elizabeth (Duchess of Edinburgh) as well.
The precedence was clearly set by Edward VIII's abdication; once a Monarch abdicates, he/she reverts to the titles he/she automatically held from birth and/or before ascending to the Throne. As daughter of the Sovereign, the Queen was The Princess Elizabeth, as wife of the Duke of Edinburgh she is also The Duchess of Edinburgh - and those would be her titles should she ever step down (which personally I don't think she ever will do).
Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
A bit off-topic but should Queen Elizabeth ever abdicate, she would be known as Her Royal Highness The Princess Elizabeth (Duchess of Edinburgh) as well.
The precedence was clearly set by Edward VIII's abdication; once a Monarch abdicates, he/she reverts to the titles he/she automatically held from birth and/or before ascending to the Throne. As daughter of the Sovereign, the Queen was The Princess Elizabeth, as wife of the Duke of Edinburgh she is also The Duchess of Edinburgh - and those would be her titles should she ever step down (which personally I don't think she ever will do).
The Duke of Windsor didn't hold the title of the Duke of Windsor from birth or before he ascended the throne- it was created for him in the aftermath of the abdication.

It doesn't much matter though since we all know it's never going to happen. Queen Elizabeth will be queen til the end of her life.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Majesty

I think Queen Elizabeth II will only step down and let Charles take over if she's not capable to carry on her role as Monarch due to a horrible illness or something. Other than that, I really don't see her abdicating either.

Then again, we really don't know what will happen in the future.

Tags
abdication, crown prince willem-alexander, enthronement, king willem-alexander, prince of orange, prince willem-alexander, queen beatrix