The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Abdication & Inauguration 2013

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I wonder who, if the UK does get invited, will they send. I would think it would be Charles and Camilla but Sophie and Edward went to Albert's enthronement in 2005.
I think Charles and Camilla will come.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
You don't know who Pippa is?
Says GracieGiraffe with tongue firmly planted in cheek!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post

Says GracieGiraffe with tongue firmly planted in cheek!
I do hope so, else someone clearly cannot read

I hope Charles and Camilla make the effort, this is the first crowning of a King in Charles' generation. Although I can't help thinking he wouldn't want to go, age difference an all :P
Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Enthronements/coronations etc. are tradionally not attended by other heads of state. Though there has been exceptions, the most recent one in Luxembourg where King Albert II and Queen Beatrix attended the investure of Grand Duke Henri.
Didn't Albert & Beatrix only witness Jean's abdication, and not the actual installation of Henri?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I wonder who, if the UK does get invited, will they send. I would think it would be Charles and Camilla but Sophie and Edward went to Albert's enthronement in 2005.
Charles did attend Beatrix's installation in 1980 so I suppose it is quite possible he will be back for the same ceremony in 2013.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Didn't Albert & Beatrix only witness Jean's abdication, and not the actual installation of Henri?
It seems they did attend the investure too:
The Throne Accession of Grand Duke Henri; October 7th, 2000
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/luxenthronement/part7.html

It was the Cathedral service that Albert & Beatrix did not attend. Jean and JC also did not attend the Cathedral service to mark their sons enthronement.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really hope Charles goes, particularly if he attended Beatrix's.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Commoner

I think Queen Juliana was technically known as Princess Juliana after her abdication, and Queen Wilhelmina became Princess Wilhelmina, so I assume they'll do the same.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I think Queen Juliana was technically known as Princess Juliana after her abdication, and Queen Wilhelmina became Princess Wilhelmina, so I assume they'll do the same.
There is no choice to it. Under the Act on membership in the royal house it says that an abdicated monarch reverts to becoming Prince/Princess of The Netherlands. After they die people again start talking about them as Queen Wilhemina or Queen Juliana.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Are there any spectacular tiaras we haven't seen for a long while that Queen Maxima can delight us with?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Royal Highness

Maxima will be Queen, it was announced on her 40th birthday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Are there any spectacular tiaras we haven't seen for a long while that Queen Maxima can delight us with?
the ones that have been only reserved for Queen Beatrix, so i believe Maxima will now have the chance to wear them once shes Queen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H
Queen Wilhelmina became Princess Wilhelmina through her abdication because as she was born a Princess, she wanted to die as such. Queen Juliana just followed her mother steps, but this is not mandatory, Queen Beatrix might not want to be a princess again and be known as the Queen Mother. we shall wait and see...

i believe that some royals will attend, its a new King after all!!!
i wonder if Amalia, Alexia and Ariane wil attend as well, does anyone knows?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would like to know if the A team will be present too.
And will it be a proclamation as well for Amalia as Princess of Orange?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
Queen Wilhelmina became Princess Wilhelmina through her abdication because as she was born a Princess, she wanted to die as such. Queen Juliana just followed her mother steps, but this is not mandatory, Queen Beatrix might not want to be a princess again and be known as the Queen Mother. we shall wait and see...
Beatrix doesn't get a choice. It is now part of Dutch law that an abdicated monarch reverts to their former title of Prince/Princess.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Likely some of the foreign heirs will attend on April 30th as they did in 1980 but the dress code did not include tiaras for the guests. For the ladies it was gowns and hats, for the men it was uniforms or white tie with decorations. Only Beatrix wore a tiara. This is a civil installation ceremony not a coronation.
So my hopes for a splendiferous coronation have just been dashed and all I can expect is some dreary civil ceremony is a city hall somewhere? I guess seeing how my favorite foreign royals interpret gowns-with-hats still holds some appeal.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I really hope Charles goes, particularly if he attended Beatrix's.
Only if he can keep his gnashing of teeth in envy quiet enough not to be picked up by the cameras! Remember when Earl Spencer died and all he had to say to untactfully remark repeatedly was how lucky the new Earl was 'to have inherited early'.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Royal Highness

thought theres no coronation, the upcoming ceremony is regal enough, unlike Denmark's.
the dress code is a special one, since The Netherlands are the only royals who use it (one time per year), it will be nice to see some european royals follow this old dress code tradition (and the one i love the most, even though i love tiaras).
its a nice change.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I expect most heirs + spouses will attend, apart from the UK perhaps. As it is a state event I do not expect we will see multiple people representing one family. So no Astrid, ánd Laurent, ánd Philippe + spouses, but just Philippe and Mathilde. I am also not convinced that much non-reigning royals will be invited.
That's what I was thinking too Marengo.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Royal Highness

this are the 2 Tiaras that Maxima didnt wear yet, maybe one of the 2 will be worn at the ceremony?
http://i48.tinypic.com/2j5z2mp.jpg
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
That's what I was thinking too Marengo.
While the inauguration is not a Coronation as such, I really hope to see most fellow Monarchs (or at the very least, the Heirs) at the ceremony as well. And this is also the one occasion Prince Charles and Camilla can't really be excused to miss, especially if all other heirs attend.

The more I think about it, the more this Dutch model makes sense to me. Now, Willem-Alexander and Maxima will be able to enjoy their big day without the burden of a loss of a beloved family member. And Queen Beatrix will always be there to offer guidance and advice. In many ways, it really is better than "The King is dead. Long live the King" scenario.

Closed Thread

Tags
abdication, crown prince willem-alexander, enthronement, king willem-alexander, prince of orange, prince willem-alexander, queen beatrix