Dutch Abdication & Inauguration: Fashion Choices

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great evening, great robes and - hach - TIARAS..... so I am really, really happy.

Highlights:
Maxxxx is stunning as always, but the tiara even would hev been better with hair up - at least the front part.
Letizia - simply stunning!!!! Even in black. And finally a tiara again.
Mary - great dress, but smaaaaaaal tiara, hey Daisy, there are so many in the Danish vaults, give her another one.
Lalla Salma - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmh, how wonderful.

Lowlights:
Mette-Marit: OH MY GOD!!!! WHAT WAS THAT? I remember those wonderful times at CP Victorias wedding, where have they gone?
Camilla: hm, it really shows the difference in age between the "young" CPs and Camilla, who is simply one generation older ..... great jewels though.

BYe Bine

Anybody knows who Princess Irene is with here?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's her sister Princess Christina, Princess Beatrix's youngest sister

HRH the Duchess of Cornwall looked stunning in every photograph - every inch the future Queen she will be !

The Duchess looked so elegant & poised. I'm proud that {God willing} she will be the next Queen of my country

I'm confused by Princess Mabel's choice of gown for the Inaugeration. Is she in mourning for her husband or not? Today's dress says 'yes' but yesterday's said 'no'.

Crown Princess Mary's choice is not my cup of tea. Her dress is a very very awkward interpretation of the kimono.

Sheikha Mozah's ensemble is somewhat gloomy.

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, and Crown Princess Mette-Marit looked blocky in their ensembles.

Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie's hat could have been better. A lighter hat would have made her ensemble elegant and feminine.

I liked Lalla Salma's green caftan. Crown Princess Mathilde 's ensemble is soft feminine.

Last edited:
My tops and disappointments at the dinner on Monday

Tops
1. Letizia 2. Victoria 3. Mathilde 4. Lalla Salma 5. Camilla
Disappointments
1. Mette-Marit 2. Stephanie 3. Mabel 4. Laurentien 5. Maxima
Not top or disappointment - Mary

Today at the church

Tops
1. Maxima 2. Victoria 3. Letizia 4. Mathilde 5. Masako
Disappointments
1. Mette-Marit 2. Mary 3. Stephanie

Wow...what happened?? With the exception of Letizia and Mathilde I didn't like any of those outfits. Sheikha Mozah(?) in particular looked terrifying..like a sort of female Darth Vader! :eek:

My review on the royal ladies for this Investiture.

Letizia: She looked great, but she choose a bland color, a bit of red and she would have looked amazing. But she still looks great, althought the dress is somewhat similar to what she wore yesterday. Nice hat, not my cup of tea, but it suits her.

Stephanie: Not amazed by her choice today as well, her hat looks something like Beatrix would wear. But I like her hairstyle.

Masako: Oh Masako, my Dear! I'm so happy you're there! She looks very traditional but she looks really happy as well.

Mathilde: Mathilde looks very blah to me, I'm not impressed by her outfit, I love that shade of pink, but the dress itself is simple and doesn't have any interesting cut. Hat = boring. But I like her curly Up-do.

Mette-Marit: Finally a upgrade, even though its not MM at her best, I like this dress and I really like the print. About her "hat" or whatever is there (flowers ornament it seems), I like when she goes on "adventures" and wears something diferent on her hair (like in Stephanie&Guillaume), but at these events...it makes her look weird when everyone is wearing hats or fascinators. But still, she dressed way better than yesterday, so that's enough for me.

Camilla: Camilla and her feather hats...she looks OK this time! Light blue suits her.

Lalla Salma: A very beautiful and grogeous green caftan, I'm happy she went for some color this time. Her belt is recycled but I love her gold and emerald jewels. And WOW to her shoes!!!

Mary: I have mixed feeling about Mary's outfit, looks a bit oriental to me, but a bit to the hideous field, dare I say? I would've have liked better if she opted for a Hat instead of that fascinator though.

Victoria: A very stunning Victoria, she looks beautiful in cream, I Love her dress a lot but her hat is TOO HUGE! Love her hairdo.

I still have to see better pictures of the other royal guests, and I want close-ups of the jewerly.

2 great days of bling bling and amazing fashion! I wonder if they'll take part in the evening events and wear another attires.

Well, Edouard Vermeulen of Natan proved that sometimes he does a good job :)

Maxima's dress at the abdication was soft, charming and very Maxima.
Together with her king and the 3 A's shining as 3 sunrays on the balcony, lovely. Where the yellow dresses also Natan?

The little princesses looked really cute in the church in their Natan dresses.
Their dresses looked the same, but the tops were different. And they complimented their mother and grandmother in royal blue!

Mabel's dress moved me. The white sleeve and sash looked like a part of her wedding dress and then the rest in black...such a sad situation.

Mathilde was my favourite of the foreign royals and Irene of the Dutch royal family.
I also liked Victoria's dress, but not her hat.
Don't know what to think of Mary.
Stephanie looked like she borrowed a dress and hat from Beatrix. Did like how the jacket and the sash were entwined, though.

And then Maxima...STUNNING!!! A true queen. How radiant can you be!
The saphire tiara is beautiful on her and Jan Taminiau made her a wonderful dress: the lace, the coat that floated behind her when she walked.
Would the shoulder pads have been a wink to the former queen?

Last edited:
Mette Marit had a slight improvement during the investiture (I especially liked her hairdo and flower combination)....
Great Maxima, Letizia, Victoria, Mathilde --- ohhh, and the little princesses, all royal ladies in blue, really great!

BYe Bine

Well, Edouard Vermeulen of Natan proved that sometimes he does a good job :)

Maxima's dress at the abdication was soft, charming and very Maxima.
Together wither her king and the 3 A's shining as 3 sunrays on the balcony, lovely. Where the yellow dresses also Natan?

The little princesses looked really cute in the church in their Natan dresses.
Their dresses looked the same, but the tops were different. And they complimented their mother and grandmother in royal blue!

Mabels dress moved me. The white sleeve and sash seemed to be a part of her wedding dress and then the rest in black...such a sad situation.

Mathilde was my favourite of the foreign royals and Irene of the Dutch royal family.
I also liked Victoria's dress, but not her hat.
Don't know what to think of Mary.
Stephanie looked like she borrowed a dress from Beatrix. Did like how the jacket and the sash were entwined, though.

And then Maxima...STUNNING!!! A true queen. How radiant can you be!
The saphire tiara is beautiful on her and Jan Taminiau made her a wonderful dress: the lace, the coat that floated behind her when she walked.
Would the shoulder pads have been a wink to the former queen?

Maxima has kind of disappointed me with many of her grooming choices in the last few years. But she has more than made up for it over the last couple of days. That photo of she and W-A along with their little girls all in yellow has floored me! Everything looks gorgeous on Max....hair, makeup, color..just beautiful!:flowers:

I think Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie has been poking around Princess Beatrix's hat cupboard!!

I love Mary's dress today!! It was soft and romantic, the craftsmanship is beautiful, and I love that she played with contrast by choosing a light blue hat (playing off one of the colors in the fabric).

for church ceremony my list

CP Letizia
Queen Maxima
CP Mathilde
CP Victoria

My tuppence:

Princess Beatrix: Elegant, stately, polished. It wouldn't have been the same without her own particular style and though sometimes her gowns can look a bit like curtains and her hats get replaced by chickens roosting in her hair, today she looked every inch the proud mother. I loved what she was wearing.

CP Masako: She could have worn a potato sack and I'd have been thrilled to see her. But she didn't, she wore a very elegant gown and I think the colour choice was appropriate. I'm not too fond of the hat but hey people....she was there!

Letizia: Is it me or has Letizia suddenly turned super model? She's looking incredibly thin and her new nose slims her face alot (not that she was ever chunky). I think her hat was a bit impractical as it seemed to shield one side of her face entirely but she is stunning. Totally beautiful.

Mary: A tad disappointing. I don't think white is ever a good choice for this sort of event and the black floral detail was cut in two by her sash. It just looked a little awkward.

Camilla: Beautiful in blue and I loved the leafy feathery thing in her hair. Well matched to her sash colour and the little hint of yellow from her RFO. For her first major international royal gathering not on home turf, I think she looked wonderful but most importantly - she just seemed to appear incredibly regal. Queen Camilla is going to be force to be reckoned with!

Victoria: I actually loved her outfit last night but this definitely makes it look shabby by comparison. The hat gave her height which in turn gave her quite an imperious look. Wonderful choice! And Daniel looked very handsome too.

Sophie: I know Liechtenstein is tiny but they are living in the same decade as us aren't they? Red and green should never be seen? Except if you're a Christmas tree. And she isn't. I like green. But vivid green? Wimbledon called. They want their tennis court back.

Mathilde: Safe and pleasant but nothing award winning.

Stephanie: From drag queen to future queen (well, Grand Duchess) in a matter of hours. I loved the whole ensemble and though the hat was a bit rigid, it was very Beatrix and that struck a chord. She's fast become one of my favourite royals. Elegant, understated and appears to be a genuinely lovely lady.

Mabel: You've got something on your arm dear....

Margriet: Now this is how you wear a green frock! A lovely mint colour, the hat complimented her features and I love the structured collar. Sometimes the older members of the family put the young to shame.

Maxima: Well Your Majesty....TRULY STUNNING. I actually did a "Oh. My. God" when she first appeared in that beautiful blue gown with it's lace detail and overjacket. The tiara was magnificent, the gown proving that some Queens don't need ermine and red velvet to remind us of their royalty. She simply IS the Queen now. Calm, quiet, steady but with breathtaking glamour. The Netherlands is truly lucky to have Queen Maxima.

I thought the ladies did mostly pretty well.
I liked Victoria's outfit but thought the hat might better have been saved for Ascot. I would not want to have been seated behind her.
Sophie Liechtenstein needs to get out of Vaduz more often to do her shopping.
Camilla looked lovely and age appropriate. Carries off big events well.
Stephanie Luxembourg, well I didnt have high expectations so was not disappointed but please do not wear Beatrix's cast offs again.
Masako, well she was there and dressed pretty much as you would expect the IHA to dress her.
Mabel dear, when you first walked out of the palace I thought you had your arm in a cast. I know you love bows, but it didnt quite work.
Laurentien, red dress with yellow sash doesn't really work so well.
Not a hope in hell that anyone would outshine Maxima on this day and she did not disappoint. Great dress, fantastic jewels, dazzling smile and personality plus.

Rather surprised that neither Frederik or Victoria have received Dutch orders yet in their careers. Guess King WA will take care of that when he begins state visits.

Any photo of Crown Prince Billah & Crown Princess Sarah of Brunei?

Does anyone have a picture of Princess Sarah? I think she wore pink in one of the pictures, but was to far to tell.

Everyone looked good. It was really nice to see Princess Masako and her husband looked extremely happy to have her with him to such an amazing event. I guess Masako has a close relationship with the Dutch family.

And did everyone receive the Dutch order for attending?

My favourite of today was...of course Maxima!Everything about her apperance was absolutely regal and pretty,I am especially happy that she chose such a great tiara and Nassau-blue for this event!
After a long pause.....I would list CP Letizia (her outfit looks much better in movement on tv than on pictures),our beloved Beatrix and also Princess Aimee! Her materny gown is stunning and glamourous, I never expected pregnancy wear to be so pretty! I remember that Maxima has worn the same dress during pregnancy,this dress should definitely stay in the family,I like it a lot:)
Stéphanie also looked spectacular,the nice fit and silhouette plus the beautiful embroidery details in such a charming colour made her outfit perfect.
On a different note,I am so glad to see Masako again!Such a wonderful appearance,she looked happy and relaxed,I am very happy that she found the courage and came to watch the inauguration.

@4 Pam-Yes,Crown Princess Masako has a special relationship with the Dutch,her father is a diplomat and she had lived in Holland for some time, she also seems to have a good relationship with the new reigning couple. This event is Masako’s first official overseas trip since she and her husband visited New Zealand and Australia in 2002.

Last edited:
Sheikah Mozah looked like a Evil Dark Queen from a fairytail!

I think Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie has been poking around Princess Beatrix's hat cupboard!!

I think so too,that hat did not look good on her,nor did it really go with her outfit.Perhaps it was her personal tribute or nod to Beatrix but another no no for Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom