Skavlan/SVT interview with Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill: December 11, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JR76

Heir Apparent
City
Malmö
Country
Sweden
According to Svensk Damtidning Madeleine and Chris will be interviewed in the talk show "Skavlan" which is broadcasted and produced in both Sweden and Norway. The interview will be made in front of a studio audience and will be transmitted next weekend in the programs season finale.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
SVT confirms the interview. The other guest at the show is Adele. The timing is very bad. The Nobel events are one of the most important events for the royal family, and whole Sweden. This is overshadowing the coming Nobel week at the press. And the broadcast is on SVT on 11th December at 21.00, at the same time when the king is hosting his dinner in honor of the Nobel Laureates.
Prinsessan Madeleine och Chris O'Neill gästar Skavlan _ svt.se

Last edited:
SVT confirms the interview. The other guest at the show is Adele. The timing is very bad. The Nobel events are one of the most important events for the royal family, and whole Sweden. This is overshadowing the coming Nobel week at the press. And the broadcast is on SVT on 11th December at 21.00, at the same time when the king is hosting his dinner in honor of the Nobel Laureates.

Woah bad timing indeed unless they will be providing different live links for both events then damn.

Not only the timing is bad, why do they mix with celebrities?
Madeleine, the rarely-working royal and Chris, the private person, who is there because he is Mr. Madeleine. What is the point?

I'd understand an exclusive with the couple, but a TV show? Royals in a TV studio don't go well together imo.

Their PR decisions are really, really strange.

Woah bad timing indeed unless they will be providing different live links for both events then damn.

The Laureate dinner is not broadcast live, I believe (well, certainly the dinner isn't broadcast, but I don't believe the entrance is). Iirc from previous years, we just wait on photographs.

No, the king's dinner isn't broadcasted live, but the timing is still bad. There is enough to write for the press about Nobel events, there is no need for a TV-program with a member of the royal family on the same day.

I don't like royals at a TV-studio with live audience who are clapping when they are told to.

Princess Märtha Louise was in "Skavlan" in 2009.

Last edited:
Just seems a very odd decision

I am personally looking forward to hearing what they have to say... After months of being hitted by the press, I hope they give it back to them...is it live or a recorded program?

Last edited:
I personally lok forwar to heat what they have to say... After months of being hitted by the press, I hope they give it back to it...is it live or a recorded program?

It's recorded in front of an audience

It's recorded in front of an audience

maybe it was the tv's decision to braodcast it at such bad timing... not everything is M&C's fault!:bang:

This should be interesting, this interview. I believe SVT is going for it because the Princess Couple on TV is rare and it looks like a ratings grabber. An audience too? Will audience members be allowed to ask questions?

An interesting decision, doing a tv interview, for a couple that insists that they are mostly private people.

Expressen has now updated their article with Margareta Thorgren's comments:
The interview was recorded in London on Thursday and will be aired on SVT on 11 December.
- Recording was today (Thursday) in London. There was an audience, Margareta Thorgren said.
It will be the couple's first television interview together about life as a princess couple and life in London, where they moved in August.
- Princess Madeleine and Chris saw the recording as positive, said Thorgren.
Can you tell us something of what they talked about at the program?
- The Swedish people will get to see that next Friday, there's nothing we go out with in advance.
Madeleine och Chris gästar Skavlan _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Svensk Damtidning writes that the interview was made at the ITV Studios in London, and Adele was there. And Jamie Oliver. "It sounds like a program beyond the ordinary", writes Damtidning.
Madeleine mötte en superstjärna hos Skavlan _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Last edited:
Skavlan/SVT interview with Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill - 11 Dec. 2015

SVT has taken Adele away from their information...
Prinsessan Madeleine och Chris O'Neill gästar Skavlan _ SVT.se

Press secretary Daniel Urso from the court said to Aftonbladet: "We can confirm that the interview has taken place. Beyond that, we let the interview speak for itself".
Madeleine och Chris intervjuas i Skavlan _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

That is very weird. Would her brother and sister-in-law or her sister and brother-in-law give an interview, some tidbits would be given out in advance.
Now with them suddenly the interview has to speak for itself?
Is this interview supposed to be Madeleine and Christopher's "gift to the Swedes"? That is what I call presumptuous.

No, the king's dinner isn't broadcasted live, but the timing is still bad. There is enough to write for the press about Nobel events, there is no need for a TV-program with a member of the royal family on the same day.

I don't like royals at a TV-studio with live audience who are clapping when they are told to.

Princess Märtha Louise was in "Skavlan" in 2009.

Princess Märtha Louise is in a slightly different position than Madeleine, though. She is no Royal Highness anymore and her husband and children aren't titled.

Expressen has now updated their article with Margareta Thorgren's comments:
The interview was recorded in London on Thursday and will be aired on SVT on 11 December.
- Recording was today (Thursday) in London. There was an audience, Margareta Thorgren said.
It will be the couple's first television interview together about life as a princess couple and life in London, where they moved in August.
- Princess Madeleine and Chris saw the recording as positive, said Thorgren.
Can you tell us something of what they talked about at the program?
- The Swedish people will get to see that next Friday, there's nothing we go out with in advance.
Madeleine och Chris gästar Skavlan _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Svensk Damtidning writes that the interview was made at the ITV Studios in London, and Adele was there. And Jamie Oliver. "It sounds like a program beyond the ordinary", writes Damtidning.
Madeleine mötte en superstjärna hos Skavlan _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

I don't recall such secrecy around anything Victoria and Daniel and Carl Philip and Sofia have done.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that they are trying to get some positive press. Carl Philips interview in Hellenius hörna last fall was very successful, and really helped the public image of him. (Yes, I'm one of those who saw it and got a very positive impression).

I hope everything goes well, but there are big differences between the two interviews. Hopefully it doesn't backfire.

My guess is that they are trying to get some positive press. Carl Philips interview in Hellenius hörna last fall was very successful, and really helped the public image of him. (Yes, I'm one of those who saw it and got a very positive impression).

I hope everything goes well, but there are big differences between the two interviews. Hopefully it doesn't backfire.
I agree with your whole statement. I was very impressed with CPs interview and it did great things for him. I think they're expecting this interview to do the same. I'm not fully sure but I really hope it does! I am one of those who has a little icky/non positive view of Madeleine but I also accknowledge that we don't know her or her life so who am I to judge. So I hope to be positively impressed!

I can't get over the buzz about this interview with Madeleine and Chris in the media. It's basically about their life in London, but it sounds as if people are looking for big reveals. If the palace is aware of the interview I doubt there will be any.

I can't get over the buzz about this interview with Madeleine and Chris in the media. It's basically about their life in London, but it sounds as if people are looking for big reveals. If the palace is aware of the interview I doubt there will be any.

Of course the palace is aware of the interview. From what I know about the King he would be furious if something like this happened without his knowledge.

Expressen has released a picture from this fridays Skavlan showing Madeleine and Chris together with Skavlan, Jamie Oliver and the amazing Adele.
Madeleine och Chris i Skavlan – här är bilden | Nyheter | Expressen

Here is the original photo at the website of SVT
Prinsessan Madeleine, Chris O'Neill och Adele till Fredrik Skavlan _ svt.se

Madeleine von Schweden & Chris O'Neill_ Talkshow-Auftritt gegen ihr angekratztes Image_ _ BUNTE.de

Because Madeleine and Chris haven't given TV-interviews and Madeleine doesn't speak with the royal reporters who write about the work of the members of the royal family, everything Madeleine and Chris will say will be news. That is why the press is excited, the interview doesn't have to have any "big" news.

Last edited:
I wonder what they have to say at all and why they don't do it properly in Sweden, in a royal context. I don't get what they have to say in a celebrity talk show, are they celebrities as well? Chris claims to be a private person and a serious businessman, what is he doing there? And Madeleine? We'll, mingling with Adele is certainly popular these days and much more exciting than doing royal work.

Ouch... Just seen they were there with Adele and other guests... this doens't sound good, but I will hold judgement until i see the interview... maybe the were merely all put together to take a group photo!

I wonder what they have to say at all and why they don't do it properly in Sweden, in a royal context. I don't get what they have to say in a celebrity talk show, are they celebrities as well? Chris claims to be a private person and a serious businessman, what is he doing there? And Madeleine? We'll, mingling with Adele is certainly popular these days and much more exciting than doing royal work.
I'm not sure... but isn't Skavlan a bit more than a celebrity show though? I seem to remember a bit of heavy subjects and people being involved in it, but I might be wrong.

I dislike seeing royals in such tv-shows TBH. It devaluates them to just another celebrity. Some Van Vollenhovens also appeared as guests of talkshows here in The Netherlands,but never as informal as this AFAIK, to talk about certain causes they support. Of course the style of the Swedish court is different and as posters said the approach did work for for prince Carl-Philip. I actually prefer the Belgian approach: no interviews at all, just a tidbit here and there about a cause and the rest stays a mystery.

Does anyone know where/ how to watch this interview online?

Does anyone know where/ how to watch this interview online?

You might try the websites of SVT or NRK.

Back
Top Bottom