Princess Madeleine's Internship at UNICEF in New York: January-June 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lena

Heir Apparent
City
Mandø
Country
Denmark
Madeleine will move to NYC!!!
On the 23rd of January she will do her final exams and will move then together with her 3 friends Veronica Arp, Louise Gottlieb and Louise De Geer (4 gals in NYC...seems familar...what was that...ah Sex and the city ;) )
Madeleine´s mentor Lena Rammel confirms that, but can´t say more at this point. Some of the girls will work (doing traineeships) there, some will go on with their studies.
Jonas Bergström won´t go with her, he will go on with his studies in London.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=505785

I wonder, what others think on Madeleine´s move. I´m disappointed (at this point of information) It sounds like an other time-out (as if she wouldn´t have had enough)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting news!
wonder what she will do in new york? I mean she is already done with her studies and she has already lived in London to study english....
perhaps it will be some kind of Sex and the city thing :)

no, but I dont think we will have to worry about not hearing any news. There´s many swedes in New York who will probably recognize her and many paparazzis to.

When Victoria was there she was left alone, but that was mostly because she was ill. Madeleine isn´t so there is no such "concerns"

I think these are interesting news. If she will work/do a traineeship or continue with her studies in a competitive enviroment like New York City - I think it would only do her good and would develop both herself on a personal level as well as her professional skills.

I think that some time on her own with a few friends in the Big Apple will do her good. She won't get the "Princess treatment" when she's out on the streets there, and will get to experience what it means to be a normal citizen walking the streets in a city many times bigger the one she's used to. I do hope the international media, mainly the paparazzis, won't let us down. NYC is a big city, so it's harder to track someone down there, and knowing how lazy the Swedish media can be, well let's just say it's not a good omen. :)

I though wonder what they mean with a "more anonymous life". It's not like she doesn't live one in quite a wide extent already, at least in her daily life. When she's out on official engagements or so she gets a lot of coverage by the press, and sometimes they report on her private life - but I would say Princess Madeleine lives an incredible anonymous life already, thanks to the incredible lazy Swedish media. It's not for nothing that we haven't seen a picture of her or the other royal siblings since December!

Yennie said:
When Victoria was there she was left alone, but that was mostly because she was ill. Madeleine isn´t so there is no such "concerns"

Yes, she was left alone. And she wasn´t that much in NYC...at least not the first 2 years, then she at least pretended to study and lived in Stamford, Connecticut.
Actually I´m rather for Paparazzi-pics than against them, but somehow I rather would want to see Madeleine performing duties and not luxury-shopping. :(

I think its like this: When they are in Sweden most people on the streets and in shops etc recognize them and they might get special treatment... But as the swedes are quite "private" there arent that many paparazzis here compared to other countries.

But, In New York she will probably be able to go out unnoticed by people in the streets and in shops and places like that, but she will be followed by more paparazzis because there are more of then in New York.

and yes, I agree with you Lena. It would be nice to see both Carl Philip and Madeleine in public more. Doing threee things a year isnt enough to have the tax payers pay for you ;)

I think its a good thing if she has something REAL to do there like serious studies or a real job, most royals by birth has spent some years abroad

I do not think its a good thing if she is only moving to NY to have a girls party and shop and then do some interior design course once a week to excuse the stay, she will have to bring security from Sweden so it should be to do something real not just to have fun with other rich girls who Im sure have secured plush jobs trough their connections.

I also agree with the above posters that Madeleines life in Sweden is very private, we rarely see pictures of her and she does not overdo it with royal duties, I hope that this move still means she will come home for Nobel and dads birthday and other of the most important events.

Well the King turns 60 this year so I´m sure she comes home then...

Yennie said:
But, In New York she will probably be able to go out unnoticed by people in the streets and in shops and places like that, but she will be followed by more paparazzis because there are more of then in New York.

i agree with this. somehow it's a double-edged sword. In a way, yes, she can live unnoticed by ordinary americans, but my oh my, the papparazzis would probably be at her every move. it seems like she'll finally get some american media attention after these years.

i just hope it wont be a repeat of her london year..;)

purple_platinum said:
i just hope it wont be a repeat of her london year..;)
you mean when she was found three times by the paparazzis :rolleyes:
I still think it was silly by the royal court to complain about the paparazzis and saying how they were the reason Madeleine left London.
She is after all a famous person, a princess. What did they expect?

That sounds exciting for Princess Madeleine! I bet she will have some fun over there! :);) I think she will visit Jonas before she goes to New York in a few weeks time.

I hope the paparazzis don't hound Princess Madeleine and they leave her alone most of the time :mad: :( but it would be nice to see a few photographs of her in New York.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yennie said:
you mean when she was found three times by the paparazzis :rolleyes:
I still think it was silly by the royal court to complain about the paparazzis and saying how they were the reason Madeleine left London.
She is after all a famous person, a princess. What did they expect?

yes... the Princess cannot cope with the paparazzi and left the city earlier than expected. ;)

I'm excited, maybe we'll actually get some royal news in America after all. I'll tell my brother and my sister-in-law to keep a lookout (they live in NYC). But I do hope Madeleine is doing something productive with her time, she is still young and hopefully after her city stay she'll come back ready to do some more official duties. It's a busy, crowded place, so I doubt the common person on the street will recognize her. Hopefully the photographers do but they might be too busy tracking down Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton. :(

GrandDuchess said:
She won't get the "Princess treatment" when she's out on the streets there, and will get to experience what it means to be a normal citizen walking the streets in a city many times bigger the one she's used to. NYC is a big city, so it's harder to track someone down there...

Exactly!

I lived in NYC (upper east between Lex/3rd) for a couple of years and the people there could careless about celebrities. They are more concerned about themselves and their daily lives; Madeleine will most likely be able to roam free without any disruptions.

Hope she enjoys her time here in the Big Apple.:)

I definatly think that she will be left alone in New York, I mean it´s not like she´s a member of the RF of GB, she´s from sweden - a country that most americans hardly can find on a map, not to mention point out a princess who is third in line to the throne... It will be interesting to see what she does in NYC though, hope she do some major studies or..... work :)eek: )

Even though I doubt Madeleine will be "recognized", I"m sure word will get around. I know most Americans are unaware of most royalty except for Great Britain's, I'm sure if a beautiful princess from some far away country called Sweden comes, some people will pay attention. And who knows? There might be some great shots of her dancing at clubs...(is that good or bad? :D)

soCal girl said:
Even though I doubt Madeleine will be "recognized", I"m sure word will get around. I know most Americans are unaware of most royalty except for Great Britain's, I'm sure if a beautiful princess from some far away country called Sweden comes, some people will pay attention. And who knows? There might be some great shots of her dancing at clubs...(is that good or bad? :D)

Dancing at clubs....I would say bad...she would be on a plane home to Sweden faster than you can say IKEA :)

Zonk1189 said:
Dancing at clubs....I would say bad...she would be on a plane home to Sweden faster than you can say IKEA :)

Hahaha.
I´m sure Paris Hilton would give her asylum, when the court would try to catch her ;)

Lena said:
Hahaha.
I´m sure Paris Hilton would give her asylum, when the court would try to catch her ;)

Let's hope Madeleine & Paris don't become friends! :)
I wonder how the New York rags will treat her (New York Post- Page Six & NY Daily News).
If she wants to stay anonymous in NYC she needs to stay far away from the NY Socialites :).

I think Madeleine has enough class to stay away from Paris Hilton. Besides, if there are pictures of Madeleine dancing on top of tables, I'm sure the Royal Court and her parents won't be amused. She's there to work and have fun. So what I'm hoping is to have a good combo of news and pictures of her more serious activities and of her going shopping and clubbing (face it, a 23 year old in NYC, who's not going to party?) But you can still drink and dance and have some class. And I sincerely do hope that someone recognizes her and takes some pictures otherwise we'll be Madeleine newsless for months!

how about bodyguard & security?
will she receive the same security protocol like she did in stockholm?

purple_platinum said:
how about bodyguard & security?
will she receive the same security protocol like she did in stockholm?
Well we don't know that at this time, but I assume that they will send a group of Säpo guards (who can alternate being on duty in groups of two or so) with her to New York. I think that the fact that she's going to a big city can be both good and bad for her security profile.

Johan T. Lindwall (second best gossip after Daniel Nyhlén is these days correspondent in the USA for Expressen) and gives Madeleine tips, where she can hang out in NY.
A statement from him:
If you want to know more, feel free to call me. Your big sister Victoria or her mentor Elisabeth Tarras Wahlberg have my number :D :D :D

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=507436

soCal girl said:
I think Madeleine has enough class to stay away from Paris Hilton. Besides, if there are pictures of Madeleine dancing on top of tables, I'm sure the Royal Court and her parents won't be amused!

Well there already exists some pretty nice dancing pictures of Madeleine, I dont know if she is on the tables but this skimpy gold top speakes for itself
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=209810&d=1131182268
Pic from expressen
Lena said:
Johan T. Lindwall (second best gossip after Daniel Nyhlén is these days correspondent in the USA for Expressen) and gives Madeleine tips, where she can hang out in NY.
You know its a quality paper when they would send someone like Lindwall to be a correspondent in USA:eek: :eek:

Larzen said:
Well there already exists some pretty nice dancing pictures of Madeleine, I dont know if she is on the tables but this skimpy gold top speakes for itself
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=209810&d=1131182268
Pic from expressen
:D How cruel of you Larzen...to dig out this unfortunate shot again ;)

You know its a quality paper when they would send someone like Lindwall to be a correspondent in USA:eek: :eek:
:D very true. I wonder, what he does in NY...probably not reports from the Wallstreet ;)
One thing is clear: Little Madeleine will get the short end of the stick. Now Johan T. has probably only one target in NYC: Madeleine (instead of wallstreet ;) )

Madeleine is young. She can go out and party. That photo however, is really unfortunate. :D I mean compared to some people that is really tame. I think Madeleine needs security. She does have a higher profile than the rest of us, even though she is in a different country/city. Plus, in NYC people get mugged everyday...imagine this: Pretty, blonde, foreign girl with a Gucci purse and Chanel sunglasses.:eek: :( :cool:

soCal girl said:
.. I think Madeleine needs security. She does have a higher profile than the rest of us, even though she is in a different country/city. Plus, in NYC people get mugged everyday...imagine this: Pretty, blonde, foreign girl with a Gucci purse and Chanel sunglasses.:eek: :( :cool:

now, now. ;) Of course <someone> gets mugged daily in a city of 9 million people with a GDP bigger than Switzerland.
But to set the record straight here and defend a city I once called home, New York city is, on the record, one of <the> safest cities in the United States these days. And therefore a great choice for a princess who wants to do her own thing for a bit.

(Check this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City
and scroll down to the chapter titled 'Crime'. Among other info, it contains this quote:
"Since 1991, New York City has seen a continuous fifteen-year trend of decreasing crime and is now the safest large city in the United States. Neighborhoods that were once considered dangerous are now thriving with new businesses and housing, and many residents feel safe to walk the streets late at night. Violent crime in the city has dropped by 75% in the last twelve years")

I doubt, in other words, that Madeleine will have to fend off criminals on a daily basis in New York. But then again, she is the daughter of the monarch of a well-to-do nation, so therefore by default it couldn't hurt to be extra careful, I suppose. So I don't think Madeleine would jettison the idea of schlepping around a beefy body guard or two just yet!

I've been to NYC and have relatives who live there. I know it's pretty safe. I'm just saying Madeleine might be a little bit more susceptible than the rest of us if she doesn't have security. She probably will though.:)

soCal girl said:
I've been to NYC and have relatives who live there. I know it's pretty safe. I'm just saying Madeleine might be a little bit more susceptible than the rest of us if she doesn't have security. She probably will though.:)
soCal, sorry, I misunderstood your comments. :(

Haha. It's fine princess olga. NYC can be pretty intimidating to a first-timer though. But Madeleine has three friends she can lean on. I wonder where she'll live? Probably some posh-apartment, all expenses paid! :D

GrandDuchess said:
Well we don't know that at this time, but I assume that they will send a group of Säpo guards (who can alternate being on duty in groups of two or so) with her to New York. I think that the fact that she's going to a big city can be both good and bad for her security profile.

Don't foreign VIPS (Presidents/Royals/Dignitaries & their families) get Secret Service protection as well? If its not Secret Service I think they get some sort of US Protection.
I could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom