Princess Madeleine's Internship at UNICEF in New York: January-June 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you fot he photos Yennie,
Madeleine and Jonas are the coolest young royal couple;)

Wow! Never have we seen photos like this before! Congratulations to both Madeleine and Jonas for their relationship working out like this. I think they will definately marry but probably not until 2008. They are obviously meant for each other.

Oh yes I forgot to say they are so much in love and they look like any other normal couple (minus the bodyguards in tow of course) which is good for them being able to live like any other normal couple for the last four months.

a new photo of Madeleine in New York. There have been so much news about her lately... for a long time we got nothing and then; bang :D

The article says Madeleine lives in a apartment on Murray Hill and Midtown East, close to the Un headquarters. Her rent is 5000 dollar a´month. Including a gym, laundry and cleaning service and a buissness center. Not bad ;)

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,825557,00.html

photo by Pontus Höök

Attachments

• newyork05.jpg
    newyork05.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,232
Last edited:
She really likes wearing headbands lately, and i must say that it really suited her. She somehow looks younger & fresher.

I really hope by the time she's ending her intership at UNICEF, we'll get to see pics of her at work, and probably an announcement of a planned unicef visit. Who knows? One can only hope...

He should let her go into the taxi before him.:D :D She looks very nice!!!

biboquinhas said:
TOTALLY AGREE, HE IS NOT A GENTLEMAN

I was shocked, too as I was brought up rather "old-fashonied". But on thinking about it I realized that you can't judge the situation if you do not know the real circumstances.

If there were bodyguards, it was absolutely proper of Jonas to check out the taxi before he allowed the princess to enter it - after all, it could have been a faked cab. Okay, that's far fetched, but still you never know...
While he checked the cab, the princess was well protected by her bodyguards.

If there weren't bodyguards, he should never have let the princess been unprotected while entering the cab.... It is NYC, after all and they just came back (okay, via some shopping) from a semi-official occassion where it was obviously easy for the media to take pictures. No problem to follow them and try something at a suitable occassion - which Jonas presented in case there were no bodyguards.

But - as I'm convinced there were guards, he behaved even as a "knight in shining armour" - clearing the cab personally instead of letting the bodyguard doing it!

if there were body guards then she would have to sit in the middle of the seat, so it makes sense. 1 bodyguard in the back with them and 1 in the front with the driver. just guessing but otherwise it does seem rude of him to get in first.

lore_lore said:
He should let her go into the taxi before him.:D :D She looks very nice!!!
Maybe he didn't want to make her scoot all the way over to the other side.

I do agree, they look like a cute couple. But what's up with the pink sweater Jonas?! He may be secure with his masculinity but come on, still, a bright pink sweater? :confused: Pick another color Jonas.

Yennie said:
Madeleine is NY-kär (its a "wordtrick"; in swedish NY= new and kär = in love)

For the first time princess Madeleine and her boyfriend Jonas shows their love for eachother in public. During a romantic shoppingspree in Soho they couple hugs and kiss. Now Manhattan waits for the engagement

Madeleine has had a busy week. Mom and dad have visit her in New York. Madeleine attended a dinner in the financial quarters and the start of Volvo Ocean Race. Her parents also payed a visit to Madeleine and Jonas´apartment.
Yesterday when the duties were over Madeleine and Jonas went shopping on southern Manhattan. They strolled along Mercer street and went to galleries and little shops in Soho. They cuddled and kissed and the couple has overcome the crisis. Never before have they been so open with their relationshsip and now one question comes to mind; will Jonas propose to Madeleine? Madeleine is to return to Sweden before the summer and rumours says she wants to get engaged in her favourite city New York. Yesterday an engagement didnt seemed far away.

from www.aftonbladet.se / photo by Scanpix
and www.expressen.se / photo by Finn Fons
I like the photos but for aftonbladet to immediately jump to conclusions re. an engagement, jeez.

First of, the "Now Manhattan waits for their engagement" comment. Please. Manhattanites could care less about this. They couldn't be more live and let live.

And then, to expect an engagement just because Madeleine and her boyfriend seem close, come on now. Madeleine's never been shy when it comes to expressing her affection to her love-of-the-moment. Don't we all remember her walking arm-in-arm with whatsisname, that 'bad' boy who had been in trouble with the law?

And anyhow, close M and J may be, they're both snapped while using their respective mobile phones, I mean, they're photographed together while they're on a call each with third parties! ;)

And yes, that preppy pink sweater of Jonas's should go. It does look good, admittedly, but boy oh boy does it make him look like just another preppy trust fund kid..

Jonas is perfectly right in getting into the cab first. He can then slide over to the other side and Madeleine does not have to do that. Considering how clean NY cabs are it is a very kind thing for him to do.

HRHAmy said:
I do agree, they look like a cute couple. But what's up with the pink sweater Jonas?! He may be secure with his masculinity but come on, still, a bright pink sweater? :confused: Pick another color Jonas.

That's fashionable at the moment, I'm afraid... Hubby bought two shirts in that terrible colour... Seems the princess Madeleine really loves Jonas :)

purple_platinum said:
She really likes wearing headbands lately, and i must say that it really suited her. She somehow looks younger & fresher.
Just like her mother, the Queen, whom also likes those headbands :) And I agree, they do suit her, and it's nice to see mother and daughter sharing something in their fashion, because otherwise Madeleine and the Queen have very different fashion styles (of course). :D
purple_platinum said:
I really hope by the time she's ending her intership at UNICEF, we'll get to see pics of her at work, and probably an announcement of a planned unicef visit. Who knows? One can only hope...
I hope so too, just as we've seen from Victoria's stints at some offices. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

grevinnan said:
Jonas is perfectly right in getting into the cab first. He can then slide over to the other side and Madeleine does not have to do that. Considering how clean NY cabs are it is a very kind thing for him to do.
I just don't understand why a royal princess needs to take a cab anyway, she should be chauffered around and pampered by her servants, not hailing taxis like some office worker on her way to happy hour - she is clearly lashing out by dating this person and ignoring the privileges of her birthright.

I don't know, since the chauffer and pampering servants are paid by tax payers who don't have anything close to the lexury and security Madeleine has, I would think living like a 'normal' person is expected in our times.

PreDoc said:
I just don't understand why a royal princess needs to take a cab anyway, she should be chauffered around and pampered by her servants, not hailing taxis like some office worker on her way to happy hour - she is clearly lashing out by dating this person and ignoring the privileges of her birthright.

Is this meant to be sarcastic? Because I hope it is. Perhaps she wants to blend into the crowd while in NYC and the best way to do that is do what other New Yorkers do; hail a cab to go somewhere. She's not above doing what we do when we need to go somewhere. I applaud her for not being pretentious and for acting like a normal person out shopping with her boyfriend.

I agree I too applaud Princess Madeleine for behaving like any other normal person. If she were to be chauffered everywhere then she would be accused of being a spoilt brat like she has done in the past by the media.

I was just wondering if the cab driver knew who he was driving around?

Aftonbladet today says that Princess Madeleine and some of her girlfriends revived "Sex & the City" this past Saturday when they were out on a lavish shopping spree in Soho, New York.

Apparently, Madeleine and her girlfriends did the brand stores on Prince Street, Spring Street and West Broadway, and she purchased something at Intermix and also at Banana Republic. Her friends bought something at J. Crew. The group ended their day of shopping at Apple's store on Prince Street, were Madeleine stepped out from with a new bag in her hand.

Pictures by Pontus Höök via Aftonbladet.

Attachments

• madde1.jpg
    madde1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 362
  • madde2.jpg
    madde2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Good for her. There is nothing(OK, almost) that makes me feel better than going shopping. lol

Perhaps she bought an Ipod Nano? :rolleyes: I love Banana Republic and J. Crew so it's nice to hear that Madeleine and her friends like to shop there too! :)

There is an article in Expressen today which says that Madeleine wants to return to New York after spending the summer in Sweden, because she found a new anonymous life there. There is also a new photo of her and Jonas.
You find it here: http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=597900

Maybe she will return to study at a college/university or continue her work with Unicef? Or perhaphs take up a different work placement?

Why is Jonas with her? Does he work there also? How can he afford the costs? Does she pays for all????

biboquinhas said:
Why is Jonas with her? Does he work there also? How can he afford the costs? Does she pays for all????

Jonas is with her, because they were afraid that the long distance between USA and Europe would be bad for their relationship. I think he continues his law-studies in New York. Don't worry about his lifestyle, he is not poor...;)
I can imagine that Madeleine would like to find a job in NY after the summer, but I am not sure about the opinion of the Royal House of Sweden of that plans. There is nothing official yet.

sesam said:
There is an article in Expressen today which says that Madeleine wants to return to New York after spending the summer in Sweden, because she found a new anonymous life there. There is also a new photo of her and Jonas.
You find it here: http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=597900
Well I hope she doesn't plan to stay there more than a year, I'd say it's a maximum to stay in New York also during next term (fall and winter), then she should return home. And as it sounded in resent press articles, Madeleine is planning to work for Sweden also in the future and wants to represent and make PR for the country.

But if she's going to stay in the Big Apple also after the summer, I do hope it's like Expressen's "sources" say, that it might be possible for her to extend her time at Unicef, and also make a longer trip to visit their projects. That would be great!

I attach the picture for future keeping, by Finn Fons for Expressen.

Attachments

• 6e8fcc44.jpg
    6e8fcc44.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 717
Nothing will be announced until the last minute, partly due to security reasons. It would be good for Princess Madeleine to get a real job - it will be good life experince for her and a chance to see and live in the real world. Plus the opportunity to live like a normal person, excellent for character building.

I don't see why Princess Madeleine can't stay until 2007.

I know Crown Princess Victoria spent two years there, okay the reason being because she needed peace and quite but I don't see why Princess Madeleine can't do the same if she wanted to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom