Princess Madeleine's Internship at UNICEF in New York: January-June 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.hola.com/abonados/casasreales/2006/01/30/magdalena-usa/?auth=yes

Princess Madeleine is already in New York. Happy, smiling and with an infinity of plans in her mind, the Princess has landed in the Big Apple, where, during the next months, she will work in the UN offices and will live with her boyfriend, Jonas Bergström, in an apartment located at street 42, close to the emblematic building.

"It is fantastic to be here. I am going to enjoy my time at one hundred percent and I am going to make tons of things", said the Princess at her arrival. Princess Madeleine travelled to the city of the skyscrapers in a SK 903 airplane of SAS, accompanied by a bodyguard and her intimate friend, Louisa de Geer. Originally, her trip to NY was to be a trip of girls (Madeleine and her girlfriends took months preparing their adventure in New York), but, at last, Jonas (who’s already been in the city for a couple of days) joined the group as well. Apparently, both thought that the distance would spoil their relation, so Jonas decided to continue his Law studies in a New York lawyer’s office, while the Princess works in UNICEF.

For security reasons, Princess Madeleine flied in first business class, unlike her friend who went in tourist class. However, she was able to chat several times with Len, as she calls her. Shortly after 1:00 PM, the Princess (with a radiant expression, as if she had not spent almost eight hours in an airplane) arrived at the airport of Newark, New Jersey, where she was received by the stuff of the Swedish consulate and three bodyguards. During some moments, the Princess answered the questions of the journalists, who were waiting for her:
"It was been a very calm flight. I am very contented to be here. I have visited the city not very often, so I am no expert. But the little that I have seen enchants me very much. During my stay here, I am going fuscous in my work in UNICEF. Later, I hope, that I will have some free time", answered Madeleine.

Her first public appearance in New York has not longed too much. Madeleine and her boyfriend, Jonas Bergström, were two among thousands of spectators who attended last night the ice hockey party in Madison Square Garden, which faced the New York Rangers and the Philadelphia Flyers. The couple, who bought popcorns, followed the party from the VIP seats, but the truth is that they paid more attention to each other than to the game. They made no effort to hide their feelings, as did not stop glancing, embracing, caressing each other... Their continuous samples of affection showed that their relationship is absolutely serious.

Attachments

• magdalena-a.jpg
    magdalena-a.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 633
  • magdalena-2a.jpg
    magdalena-2a.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 466
  • magdalena-1a.jpg
    magdalena-1a.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 584
Well I just hope Scooby doesn't get annoyed by Jonas following her everywhere she goes. I know they like each other or whatever but still people need space.

Gita said:
i think Jonas has moved to NYC with Princess Madeleine. I read here that he has a credit transfer and he is doing an internship with a law frim in New York.

Jonas transferred? Aww, that's cute. If he had a credit transfer then I wonder what law school he's attending now, NYU? Columbia? Somewhere else? Perhaps a SUNY school? An internship at a law firm will also be very helpful; I know Jonas can speak English but is he fluent? I guess he would have to be to intern at a NYC law firm. It seems as if Jonas and Madeleine are both doing productive things in NYC. Good for them.:)

Yeah I wonder if the NY press will discover the beautiful Swedish princess in their midst. She is not famous in the US...yet.

Yennie said:
I dont think they will be left alone, and now that they are there together I think there will be a higher interest for photos of them.

Aside from the blurb in the Page Six column of the NY Post that announced her arrival, there hasn't been any mention of her or her activities, and I check several local news sources everyday.

As for Jonas, if he's getting credits from either Columbia or NYU law schools, then I'm impressed. Those are high-caliber law schools in the U.S. and not easy to get into, let alone receive credits from.

I am a JD 2005 graduate of University of Connecticut.
I am not an expert but here in the USA there are many opportunities for law students to attend law school abroad and vice versa. A lot of times it is just for a semester and sometimes its a year. You get credits for the classes you take but some of the classes can be very difficult (even for me a native english speaker much less a foreigner). In addition it can be difficult depending on what country you are from. Maybe not for Jonas, as he was studying in London where they follow the Common Law as opposed to France where they do Civil Law. It shouldn't matter though he won't get regular grades (foreign students are graded on a different scale so that B+ would be a Very Good)
He'll be fine. Most likely, he will be at either Columbia, NYU or Fordham. Those are the top tier schools. The others in NY are tier 2 and tier 3 (50-100 and 100-150 respectively).

Ingyk

Poor Madeleine is ill with a cold and has fever so she had to cancel a dinner with the swedish consul in New York yesterday. The princess had been on a visit to the UN during the day and wanted to rest so she didnt got worse.
Today, friday February 3rd Madeleine will start at UN so hopefully she feels better

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,772826,00.html

Last edited:
one more photo of Madeleine and Jonas at Madison Square Garden.

from Aftonbladet/ Magnus Wennman

haha it almost looks like she´s covering her ears and says "lalala, I can´t hear you" :D

Attachments

• hockey2.jpg
    hockey2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 3,666
Last edited:
:rolleyes:
Yennie said:
one more photo of Madeleine and Jonas at Madison Square Garden.

from Aftonbladet/ Magnus Wennman

haha it almost looks like she´s covering her ears and says "lalala, I can´t hear you" :D

It does seem like that:p . But I think she's actually cupping her ears to try and hear him better. Hockey games can be very noisy.:rolleyes:

soCal girl said:
:rolleyes:

It does seem like that:p . But I think she's actually cupping her ears to try and hear him better. Hockey games can be very noisy.:rolleyes:
Perhaps! But to me it looks like she´s talking to someone on her cell

Yennie said:
Perhaps! But to me it looks like she´s talking to someone on her cell

Oh! You're right;) . I looked at the photo closer and in her right hand I can sort of see a cell phone. She's probably plugging her other ear to shut out some of the noise.

WOW, Iam sorry, but this is news to me.When did she move to New York? Why did she move? What is studing? In the states, there hasn't been much news--or any---for that matter about her move. Thanks to whoever answers my questions.:) ;)

Laraib said:
WOW, Iam sorry, but this is news to me.When did she move to New York? Why did she move? What is studing? In the states, there hasn't been much news--or any---for that matter about her move. Thanks to whoever answers my questions.:) ;)
We first heard about her move to New York in early January I belive and on January 27 the princess landed in New York.
She will stay in New York for 6 months and work at Unicef

So she's arrived in NY - gr8t as for the paparrazi. The swedish photographers will still follow her around, but other press will leave her alone. Afterall she's not that famous in other countries.

I wonder though, once she has completed her work with the UN, will she come back to Sweden and take on a bigger role in terms of her royal duties?

I do hope so - she's in her mid twenties now isn't she? So it would be nice!!! Besides there is only so much work experience and studying someone can do in their lifetime.

According to an article in today's Expressen, Princess Madeleine started her work at Unicef in New York yesterday morning. Jonas walked to work with her, appearing on the streets just like any other normal young couple in love.

- She will be with us for four months and Unicef is very happy to have Princess Madeleine in the organisation, commented Kate Donovan from Unicef to the newspaper.

The original & full article (in Swedish) can be found Here.

Picture by Finn Fons via Expressen.

Attachments

• Madeleine Finn Fons Exp.jpg
    Madeleine Finn Fons Exp.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,256
GrandDuchess said:
According to an article in today's Expressen, Princess Madeleine started her work at Unicef in New York yesterday morning. Jonas walked to work with her, appearing on the streets just like any other normal young couple in love.

- She will be with us for four months and Unicef is very happy to have Princess Madeleine in the organisation, commented Kate Donovan from Unicef to the newspaper.

The original & full article (in Swedish) can be found Here.

Picture by Finn Fons via Expressen.

WOW, her hair is REALLY pretty.Wonder who her stylist is? :rolleyes:

Does anybody know where I could find more pictures of Madeleine on her first day of work? The photographers could not have only taken one, and I'm sure they published them somewhere. Thanks! :)

soCal girl said:
Does anybody know where I could find more pictures of Madeleine on her first day of work? The photographers could not have only taken one, and I'm sure they published them somewhere. Thanks! :)
I havant seen any more than the one posted here... and I´m sure, if somebody finds more photos I think (and hope :) ) they will post them here

Princess Madeleine in New york

NYHETER-09s09-09dragareNY-908_438.jpg

Fantastic! Finally a photo of her and Jonas where thay are both smiling, looking into the camera and ot those paparazzi shots.

I wonder howcome Madeleine is invited to all these parties... Fashion week isnt swedish asociated is it? I thought Madeleine wasnt that well known in the states?

But good for her! and for us to :D

Summary of the article to the picture:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,775610,00.html

Princess Madeleine is healthy again and attended yesterday with Jonas the after-show party of the label Carmen Marc Valvo in the Bryant Park Hotel. Since she´s busy with her traineeship she couldn´t attend the actual fashion show.
"Unfortunately I could not see the fashion show, since my days are full of the work I do at Unicef. The Fashion week is great fun, since I’m very interested of fashion and design"

Madeleine was dressed in a kimono-inspired silk blouse, jeans and high heels
"There are fantastic clothes here in NY that you can’t find at home in Sweden. Often I find it difficult to find a dress in Stockholm and have to go abroad or need to get tailored something for special occasions" says Madeleine*

How do you like New York?
"I like it a lot, it’s a fantastic city" says Madeleine with a big smile and it´s obvious, that she enjoys the cosmopolitan city

What have you managed to see except the fashion week?
"I have suffered from the flu for several days so have not had time to see so much, but I have visited the MoMa and it was fantastic"

With what does the princess work at Unicef?
"I work at Child Protective Services, I chose it myself since the work they do is so important, among others children in war zones, trafficking, sexual offences towards minors" says Madeleine, who is just like her mother passionate about children’s rights

Aftonbladet asks Madeleine about the rumours on an possible engagement
"Jaha, there you see. We did not even know that ourselves"
We read it on TV4.se?
"Its good that there are places to keep track of such things"

Notes by me:
All is fantastic, eh :rolleyes: ;)
* Now I know, why the Swedes are so often protrayed naked in foreign ads, clips, sketches etc. They simply don´t have enough clothes. Next time, when I go to the clothes drive I will add a note "Please send it to Sweden" :p

Last edited:
Lena said:
"Unfortunately I could not see the fashion show, since my days are full of the work I do at Unicef. The Fashion week is great fun, since I’m very interested of fashion and design"
Its so unfortunat when work comes in the way of fashionshows:p atleast she has her prioreties straight for now...
Lena said:
Notes by me:
All is fantastic, eh :rolleyes: ;)
Maybe all is fantastic for bottled blonds, Mette-Marit also thinks everything is "fantastic" Maybe I should dye my hair as well:D

I wonder how Madeleine got invited to this event, I recon you cant just show up there, maybe she has bought dresses from Camen Marco Valvo before. His designs looks like things Madeleine would wear (ie, they have generous clevage:p ) she is so far not in his celebrety scrap book though;) http://www.carmenmarcvalvo.com/celebgallery/gallery.php

One more pic from Aftonbladet

Attachments

• madde210.jpg
    madde210.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 801
Last edited:
Larzen said:
I wonder how Madeleine got invited to this event, I recon you cant just show up there, maybe she has bought dresses from Camen Marco Valvo before. His designs looks like things Madeleine would wear (ie, they have generous clevage:p ) she is so far not in his celebrety scrap book though;) http://www.carmenmarcvalvo.com/celebgallery/gallery.php

One more pic from Aftonbladet

Usually the PR agencies who promote these events know who is in town at that time and send invitations. I'm sure the person responsible for this show simply read the information in the paper and send a invitation via the Swedish embassy. When a celebrity agrees to attend, she/he is asked if they mind pictures or not or they are informed that photographers are at the event, so they know in advance.

Thanks everyone!

Thank you to everyone who has posted photos of Princess and Madeleine and Jonas. And thanks to Lena for the article. :)

Princess Madeleine looks so happy. :)

NEW YORK - FEBRUARY 8: Princess of Sweden Madeleine and Carmen Marc Valvo attend the after-party for Carmen Marc Valvo Fall 2006 fashion show hosted by the Bryant Park Hotel on February 9, 2006 in New York City. (Photo by Andrew Walker/Getty Images for PMK/HBH)

PS. The Queen of Norway is going to open an Edward Munch exhibition on MoMa on the 14th, maybe Madeleine will be there then, since she said she like the museum

Attachments

• 56798048.jpg
    56798048.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Jo of Palatine said:
Usually the PR agencies who promote these events know who is in town at that time and send invitations. I'm sure the person responsible for this show simply read the information in the paper and send a invitation via the Swedish embassy. When a celebrity agrees to attend, she/he is asked if they mind pictures or not or they are informed that photographers are at the event, so they know in advance.

Yes, I'm sure PR agencies somehow found out about it and found some way to contact her. Madeleine is very influential in Sweden for fashion and maybe even Europe. This is a great way for Carmen Marc Valvo to advertise his designs in Sweden. Besides, I'm just loving the photos! And I'm sure Madeleine couldn't resist a good after-party! :p

I don't like her outfit very much, but she looks pretty anyway and happy... I guess NY will be good for her:eek:

Great to see Princess Madeleine out and about in New York City, and what a lovely good picture of her and Jonas from the party! I hope we'll see much more of her in the time to come. Nice choice of party, Carmen Marc Valvo is a great designer.

Knowing that Princess Madeleine is so close makes me want to fly to New York. I hope she has a wonderful time it's a great city.

I dont like what Madeleine is wearing in the photos from the fashion party... it looks like a nightgown :rolleyes:

The colour is ok on her, but the shape and fitting is bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom