Princess Madeleine's Internship at UNICEF in New York: January-June 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, so now Madeleine and Jonas will do a "Victoria and Daniel I" and have a romantic stay in New York! Great news :)

I dont think they will be left alone, and now that they are there together I think there will be a higher interest for photos of them. A certain London photo comes to mind (but I would say that Jonas is a more of a gentleman than Erik ever was :rolleyes:)

Lena said:
And do you still think he gets this all, because he´s such a good student, GrandDuchess? :rolleyes:
Yes, of course he does! He's not a royal, and he wouldn't have been accepted to a special law course at the Queen Mary University in London via any other way than his own grades - since the course he attended only accepts very few students per year (8 at the time of his admissions process)...

Now he might get perks as the boyfriend of a princess here in Sweden, getting access to certain circles and places - but that's a completely different thing. I don't believe that the academic world would treat his applications differently merely because the fact that he's the boyfriend of a princess from a small Scandinavian country whom most people have never even heard of...

purple_platinum said:
is it that easy to move his study from london to new york? just use a credit transfer or some sorts?
Yes, I was wondering the same thing. But since we don't know that much about his previous studies, it's hard to say how the arrangements have been done. But a credit transfer perhaps, and the article says he will also intern at a law firm - so perhaps he's getting ready to finnish his studies in a not so distant future.

Princess Madeleine's Internship at UNICEF in New York; January-June 2006

Madeleine arrived at Newark airport in New York city yesterday!

Together with her friend Lovisa de Geer she left Stockholm early on Friday morning and arrived in New York at 13.00. She was welcomed at the airport by Johan Lindwall, reporter at Expressen.
- It´s fantastic to be here. I am going to enjoy the time here and do lots of things, Madeleine said.
Yesterday morning Madeleine boarded SAS flight SK 903 to New York in company of her friend Lovisa de Geer and a bodyguard.
During the flight Madeleine sat on seat 1a in buisness class while her friend flew coach. But she went to talk with Madeleine several times during the flight.
When the plane landed in New York at 1 o´clock, Madeleine was welcomed by staff from the swedish consulate and three bodyguards from Secret Service.
Madeleine and Lovisa laughed and were in high spirits when they passed the passport control.
Madeleine smiled when Expressen was the first who welcomed her on American soil.
- Thank you, one could´ve guessed you would be here and say hello, she said laughting.

Madeleine was in high spirits and there was no sign of tiredness after the almost 8 hour long flight.
- This is going to be so much fun, she said while she stowed her bags in the car
Have You been in New York many times before?
- A few times, but I´m definitely no New York expert.
What are you planning to do here?
- Unicef primarily. But I hope I will have some time off aswell
Anything special you wish to do during your time here?
- I don´t know... I think I have to "land" first. Then perhaps I can tell you.
A week ago Expressen gave the princess some good "what to do in New York" tip. Have you read them?
Madeleine laughts:
- I saw that, but I haven´t have time to read them but perhaps I will now that I´m here.
Madeleine laughts again:
- Now we have to go, she says and takes a seat in the car with her best friend Lovisa de Geer.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=514918

photos from expressen

Attachments

• newyork27januari.jpg
    newyork27januari.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 739
  • newyorkairport27januari.jpg
    newyorkairport27januari.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,117
Last edited:
These are great news! I hope we will see many pictures of Princess Madeleine in New York, hopefully Johan T has the energy to keep track of what she's up to. :)

I must say I think Princess M looks so much better without the tan. I do hope she will enjoy her time in New York. I wonder if the press will try to turn her into the next Ingrid Bergman. Try to build her up as this royal swedish bombshell. I hope she can maintain a low profile.

Unicef

Thank you for the interview and photos. :)

When will Princess Madeleine start work at Unicef?

Thanks.

Bodyguards for Princess

Does America have to provide bodyguards for her? This is ridiculous. Why do we have to pay for that?:mad:

Our Secret Service is supposed to guard our own government officials. Thankfully this is not a presidential election year so the Secret Service is not as busy.

I think she is a beautiful girl but I still think she should bring her own bodyguards and leave ours alone!:(

The Secert Service is in charge of diplomatic protection and UN security. I doubt the US government wants foreign soilders (or whoever guards the a government offical) running around New York armed. That is why each government provides security to foriegners who need it such as Princess Madeline. If Jenna Bush was in Sweden I am sure that Swedish authorities would be providing her protection.

tenngirl said:
Does America have to provide bodyguards for her? This is ridiculous. Why do we have to pay for that?:mad:

Our Secret Service is supposed to guard our own government officials. Thankfully this is not a presidential election year so the Secret Service is not as busy.

I think she is a beautiful girl but I still think she should bring her own bodyguards and leave ours alone!:(

I feel the itch to start a discussion on what other nonsense the USA spends money, but I can hold it back.
As I let shine through often, I´m a little skeptically about this stay, but I´ve no problems with her being guarded of american security. As it seems there´s an agreement called Vienna convention (I think it´s the one from 1961 and on diplomatic relations), saying that the receiving country has to care for the security of official persons coming from an other country. In other words, when an official from the US would stay in an European state, this state would also care for his or her security. I think this is a smart principle. It would be far more complicated to bring own bodyguards or to pay american security guards (one would need to adjust to their standards and pay for their standards)

The gaurd also probably knows NewYork and can show her where to go and where not. It is much easier for an american service agent than one from her own country who wouldn't know his or her way around.

I'm surprised she arrived so early. Don't they have graduation ceremony for undergraduates? Has Madeleine took part on this?
what is the custom for graduation? i'm sorry if this has been explained it before.. i probably missed it..

Last edited:
purple_platinum said:
I'm surprised she arrived so early. Don't they have graduation ceremony for undergraduates? Has Madeleine took part on this?
what is the custom for graduation? i'm sorry if this has been explained it before.. i probably missed it..
This is what it said on Stockholms universitys website: It basicly says that she got a diploma at a cermony in Aula Magna at the university and after that a dinner is held at Lantis
(and some more things but, sorry, my english isn´good enough to translate things like this :) )

"En examen är något att fira. Därför anordnar Stockholms universitet kandidatdiplomering och magisterpromotion för nyblivna kandidater respektive magistrar. Dessa högtider äger rum i Aula Magna och efter ceremonin anordnas middag på Lantis.
Vid högtiden får kandidaterna och magistrarna mottaga ett diplom som ett minne från tiden vid Stockholms universitet och högtiden (det egentliga beviset för erlagd examen skickas hem tidigare"

http://www.su.se/pub/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=177&a=170

thank you for your answer, yennie.
it's too bad we don't see any pictures of her graduation. perhaps she wanted to keep this as private?

purple_platinum said:
thank you for your answer, yennie.
it's too bad we don't see any pictures of her graduation. perhaps she wanted to keep this as private?
Yes perhaps, or perhaps there will be some photos in some magazines in a few weeks time...
Or maybe some of her fellow graduates took some pics and post them online :)

I haven't been here in a couple of days but glad to see Madeleine made it to NYC safely! Glad to see photographers on top of their game after their little hiatus. I just hope they don't scare Madeleine away. As for Secret Service taking care of Madeleine, I don't really have a problem with that because it's an agreement with all the countries. It really would be complicated if Madeleine's guards came from Sweden. This way it's safer and less complicated for everyone.

soCal girl said:
It really would be complicated if Madeleine's guards came from Sweden. This way it's safer and less complicated for everyone.
I think she will have her Säpo guards plus the Secret Service agents (we could also see the Säpo agents behind her at Newark Airport)... This is how it usually is, the Säpo guards travel with the royals wherever they go. When the Crown Princess used to live in the US, she had a group of Säpo agents with her, working in shifts of two at a time.

At least the Sapo guards are working with the Secret Service to make sure Madeleine is safe. I guess it makes sense to have guards that you are familiar with to be with you in a foreign country. It would be tough to have two, armed guys you've never met before following your every move to keep you safe.

Yesterday Madeleine went to Madison Square Garden to see a hockey game. She was with Jonas and her girlfriends and according to witnesses Jonas and Madeleine looked very happy, kissing and holding hands.
- They didn´t tried to hide their feelings, Jonas is the best that has happend to Madeleine. He is a great guy. They love eachother
Madeleine said she was very impressed by swedish Rangers player Niklas Lundqvist and that the game was very exiting.
Aftonbladet writes that Madeleine will stay in a apartment close to MSG so perhaps there will be more hockey for the princess

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,771012,00.html

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=516436

yennies note: I´m sorry to say this, but I dont think Madeleine will be left alone in New York. I think we will get to see photos like this very often (good for us, bad for her!)

Attachments

• hockey30jan.jpg
    hockey30jan.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 928
  • hockey30januari.jpg
    hockey30januari.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Thank you Yennie for the new pictures, Madeleine looks cute and babe blond hottie as always

Yennie

Thanks for the photos Yennie. :) :cool: Do you know if Princess Madeleine has already started at Unicef?

She looks happy she left Sweden. Who knew she likes hockey. (it's so boring)

Gita said:
Thanks for the photos Yennie. :) :cool: Do you know if Princess Madeleine has already started at Unicef?
My guess is that she starts tomorrow or perhaps monday. Her work at Unicef starts in February according to the royal court

Pictures of Madeleine! I think it's very ironic that we're getting good pictures of her doing stuff in NYC and not really in Sweden. Were these pictures taken by the American or Swedish press? I know, stupid question....

Thanks for the picture purple_platinum. I wonder if any of the Americans sitting around her knew they were near a Swedish princess....my guess is probably not. Better for her but photographers still managed to hunt her down. :D :p :rolleyes:

your very welcome, socal girl!

here're 2 more from hola (but nothing new)

n1350p.jpg
n13ptk.jpg

i wonder the same thing as well, i also wonder whether the pictures were taken from american or swedish press?
i think sooner or later, the american papparazzi will realize the princess' presence and follow her around.
i hope her 1st day at unicef will be available for photos and interview.

My guess is also Swedish press at the present. The American press right now is trying to get photos of Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan (I don't know why) and they probably don't know about Madeleine. Maybe a beautiful, princess from Sweden will grab the attention of American journalists in a little while and then perhaps after she does some work at UNICEF, there will be lots of positive press on her and the good she's hopefully going to do. Plus, there might be some great clubbing pictures. :D I hope Madeleine takes advantage of all the great museums and galleries in New York, that's probably the best place to get a taste of all sorts of cultures in America.

They are taken by a swedish photographer, the credit says Sven Lindwall, which is accually the same last name as the slimy Mr Johan T Lindwall who met and talked to her at the airport, maybe his brother? Johna T Lindwall works as a correspondend in america but I guess his main target is now Madeleine and he wont spend much time on the Wall street, he is a gossip journalist afterall. And seeing that Hola has already bought the pictures I think we can expect many more pics of Madeleine in NY, more than from Sweden

Jonas

i think Jonas has moved to NYC with Princess Madeleine. I read here that he has a credit transfer and he is doing an internship with a law frim in New York.

soCal girl said:
Pictures of Madeleine! I think it's very ironic that we're getting good pictures of her doing stuff in NYC and not really in Sweden. Were these pictures taken by the American or Swedish press? I know, stupid question....
I never got that... they always complained about the attention in Sweden and how nice it is to be incognito and living abroad... yet I have never seen so many "private" photos as I did during the time when Madeleine lived in London and when Victoria lived in NYC. But perhaps they ment that people in general doesn´t recognize them and because of that they can feel more private, even if there is a photo or two taken of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom