Princess Madeleine's Internship at UNICEF in New York: January-June 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They do get some of protection I believe, but foreign VIPs don't stay for months time in NYC. Besides, it would probably be better for Madeleine and her friends when they are with her to be with bodyguards they are familiar with and trust. Besides Madeleine isn't going there to represent Sweden and do any official duties pertaining government work.

I live in NYC right now (between 1st and 2nd, Lower East Side) and I can honestly say that if it doesn't make the news, people won't notice. It's not like she's here for a state visit and tying up traffic or anything, so she should be able to blend in. The ritzier stores, 5th Ave. and Madison Ave. in particular, are known for their discretion towards their patrons and she'll completely blend in down in SoHo. I hope she has a good trip! She'll definitely find it warmer than Sweden is right now :cool:.

Madeleine will probably blend in very well. But she should still be given protection. A couple years ago there were a couple of guys with a plan to kidnap her or something. A move to a busy, foreign place would be perfect for a kidnapper because there wouldn't be so many photographers or people recognizing her. Not saying this will happen but precautions should be taken. It certainly will be warmer but everywhere is freezing for me! :D California has taken to the chills right now, I don't know what to do. My feet are freezing. :D :cool:

soCal girl said:
Madeleine will probably blend in very well. But she should still be given protection. A couple years ago there were a couple of guys with a plan to kidnap her or something. A move to a busy, foreign place would be perfect for a kidnapper because there wouldn't be so many photographers or people recognizing her. Not saying this will happen but precautions should be taken. It certainly will be warmer but everywhere is freezing for me! :D California has taken to the chills right now, I don't know what to do. My feet are freezing. :D :cool:

The US has to pay for Madeleine´s protection (up to the so called "Vienna convention"). Madeleine will practice up from february 4 months at Unicef. She will work with preventive issues (child labour, child soldiers, child prostitution...)

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,764133,00.html

Lena´s comment:
Sounds good (as long as it is a Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm work)

really? she's going to work at UNICEF ?
well... that's a really great news, isn't it? at least she's doing something really productive..

I think it's great news that Princess Madeleine will do a practical/trainee stint with the UNICEF!

Information Secretary Ann-Christine Jernberg at the Information and Press Department with the Royal Court comments to this week's Svensk Damtidning that this will be a part of her long-term education (which sounds to me as they are aiming at giving her a broad education for her future as a representative of Sweden).

UNICEF? wow that impressing! I honesly did not think she would do anything like that... I imagined a english course or something :)

but good for her! I´m sure she will learn alot of things she can use in the future

Brilliant!

That is brilliant news Princess Madeleine will study and learn about such sensitive issues. That will enchance he education a lot. Good on Princess Madeleine. :) :cool:

I'm glad to hear that Madeleine is going to work at UNICEF. She will learn and see a lot of things. This seems to be a very productive and focused stay.

According to our favourite Kändis-reporter, Daniel Nyhlén, Madeleine doesn´t just leave the country to broaden her horizon, no, she also wants to escape from all the attention. The whole situation should have escalated this autumn (court reporter Lena was rather surprised about this extremely dull autumn) Madeleine can´t go anywhere without being watched. There should have been some kind of secret agreement with the press, that she shouldn´t be photographed in clubs. As we all know (golden trashy top) this though happened. Besides Jonas Bergström should have quarreled with a known athlete (I guess that´s it is, what "idrottsprofil" means), who wanted to contact his bestly beloved.

http://www.tv4.se/kandis/438257.html

It's good that while she's running away from the attention, she's going to be doing something useful. As for that golden top, I do not think it is that trashy. It is just a golden sphagetti strap top. I have seen much worse, and if this is trashy, what does Paris Hilton wear? I'm not sure I understand this agreement with the press. Was there an agreement regarding no photographs in clubs and that was violated OR was there no agreement at all but there should have been?

soCal girl said:
As for that golden top, I do not think it is that trashy. It is just a golden sphagetti strap top. I have seen much worse, and if this is trashy, what does Paris Hilton wear?

Princess Madeleine's top what any 20-something year women wears when out clubbing. I know she is a princess, but what do people expect to wear to a nightclub a formal gown?

About security, does anybody know whether Princess Madeleine's regular bodyguards from Sweden will go with her to NY or whether the US government will provide security for her?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the NY Post's Page Six gossip column had a short piece on her visit!! I wasn't able to link to the article (that website was banned at work) but I also wasn't impressed with the picture of her. They did refer to her as "stunning" and that she was sharing the apparently luxury apartment with 3 of her friends. They made it sound like she had two jobs- one with UNICEF and the other as a party girl. They also referenced the Nobel dress where her cleavage was spilling out, I think it was 2002?

Nobody can let that red dress go!!! Everytime a piece is written about her, they have to add that in there somewhere. I'm glad that somebody in the United States besides us posters here at the Royal Forums have some knowledge of her coming. As for partying, as long as she isn't falling over drunk everyday, it's fine. She's 23, pretty, rich, and in NYC.

Could someone give me a link to that golden top, or tell me where to search for it?
Thanks.

janos614 said:
Well, the NY Post's Page Six gossip column had a short piece on her visit!! I wasn't able to link to the article (that website was banned at work) but I also wasn't impressed with the picture of her. They did refer to her as "stunning" and that she was sharing the apparently luxury apartment with 3 of her friends. They made it sound like she had two jobs- one with UNICEF and the other as a party girl. They also referenced the Nobel dress where her cleavage was spilling out, I think it was 2002?

I also heard, via a Norwegian interpretation of the article in VG, that they were referring to the dinner as having taken place in Oslo???

New York move for Princess Madeleine

Published: 19th January 2006 14:23 CET
Sweden's Princess Madeleine is to move to New York - but if she was hoping for some anonymity in the Big Apple she'll be disappointed.

The princess is due to take her final university exam next week and then, along with three pals, will head off to the US.

What exactly she'll do there is not yet decided, according to her mentor at the palace, Lena Ramel.

Full article: http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=2891&date=20060119&PHPSESSID=0ac8151a3c516fb1cba222730c712d82

Last edited by a moderator:
It is true that Madeleine will live in New york?:eek:

Yes, Madeleine will be in NYC! I have mixed feelings about Madeleine trying to flee from the press of Sweden. I want her to have a good time and enjoy living city life without always looking out for cameras, but on the other hand, I do want to see some pictures of her. :(

I wonder if this will last longer than her London stint. But, it is much eaisier in NYC. She would just blend in and not be noticed.

Princejohnny25 said:
I wonder if this will last longer than her London stint. But, it is much eaisier in NYC. She would just blend in and not be noticed.

I don't think Princess Madeleine will be bothered so much in NYC. The paparazzi in England are known for being the most agressive in the world and often print made up stories. In NYC the paparazzi will probably take a some pictures of her on the street and prehaps the local press will write about where she had dinner or when clubbing, but that's it.

Good to hear that Madeleine is going to work for Unicef. I don't know if she is avoiding the paparazzi or not. But its good to hear that she's broadening her education.

How long after her exams are Madeleine and her friends making the big move to the states?

Madeleine has given a interview to TT where she talks about her future. The princess took her exam yesterday and is now heading for New York city to work at UNICEF. She will stay there until june. After that she has "some plans" but she wont say what is it yet.

http://hd.se/inrikes/2006/01/24/madeleine_troett_partyryktet

Madeleine is tired of the party rumours.

Princess Madeleine is fed up with the rumours going around about her as a party girl, she says in a TT interview. Next on her education agenda is practice at Unicef at UN in New York

- I feel sad when I read about the party-articles about me in the papers, she says. There was a time when I went to clubs sometimes, but during the last three years I have focused on my studies. The image of me as a party girl is still strong, but I feel like I have left all that behind.
She finished her studies in art and got a Bachelor of Arts at Stockholm university yesterday. Now she´s heading for New Yoprk to work at UN.
- I will work at a department for protection of children living in countries affected by war, children living in institutions and children who has been sexually abused.
The princess will work in New York until June and she is prepared to work hard fulltime.
- After June we will see what will happend, she says. Perhaps I will continue with my studies and if so, probably in the area of International relations.
But she wont tell us more.
- I have my plans, but I´ll let them grow a bit first (yennie: a hard one to translate :) )
http://sydsvenskan.se/sverige/article137847.ece

Last edited:
Thanks Yennie for the summary/translation of the article.
In his version Daniel Nyhlén of course couldn´t resist to point out, that this what Madeleine said about the past 3 years isn´t completely true, since she was seen the past months several times in the night club "The Plaza". Maybe Daniel and Madeleine should meet, discuss and talk about nit-picking ;)
Sounds promising, what Madeleine tells. When she really fulfills it and also tries to get an idea in the various affected countries, she surely finally would get rid off this partysessan-image. Doings count more than just words.

http://www.tv4.se/kandis/439511.html

Expressen today writes that the plans for Princess Madeleine's move to New York have been altered a bit. In two weeks she's moving across the Atlantic, but she will not only live with her girlfriends, as the plans were first, but now a source tells Expressen that Jonas Bergström will move with her to the Big Apple!

Apparently the couple has realised that the long distance between New York and London would be too far to be able to keep up a relationship, the short distance between Stockholm and London have enabled them to meet on weekend, but to fly across the Atlantic on such a regular basis would be too much.

The source says that Jonas has already moved to New York ahead of Madeleine, and is now preparing a flat they have found close the the UN building, on the First Avenue near the 42nd street.

Jonas will continue with his law studies as well as intern on a law firm in New York.

Information Secretary Ann-Christine Jernberg at the Information and Press Department with the Royal Court has no comment to this article:
- We cannot comment anything about Jonas Bergström, it is not our job.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=513605

well..well..well.. this is definitely a big news!
no more 'sex & the city'-esque for Madeleine, but loving company of her boyfriend. things are definitely more serious for Jonas to take this approach, huh?
is it that easy to move his study from london to new york? just use a credit transfer or some sorts?

Last edited:
GrandDuchess said:
Expressen today writes that the plans for Princess Madeleine's move to New York have been altered a bit. In two weeks she's moving across the Atlantic, but she will not only live with her girlfriends, as the plans were first, but now a source tells Expressen that Jonas Bergström will move with her to the Big Apple!

Apparently the couple has realised that the long distance between New York and London would be too far to be able to keep up a relationship, the short distance between Stockholm and London have enabled them to meet on weekend, but to fly across the Atlantic on such a regular basis would be too much.

The source says that Jonas has already moved to New York ahead of Madeleine, and is now preparing a flat they have found close the the UN building, on the First Avenue near the 42nd street.

Jonas will continue with his law studies as well as intern on a law firm in New York.

Information Secretary Ann-Christine Jernberg at the Information and Press Department with the Royal Court has no comment to this article:
- We cannot comment anything about Jonas Bergström, it is not our job.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=513605

And do you still think he gets this all, because he´s such a good student, GrandDuchess? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom