The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_platinum
how about bodyguard & security?
will she receive the same security protocol like she did in stockholm?
Well we don't know that at this time, but I assume that they will send a group of Säpo guards (who can alternate being on duty in groups of two or so) with her to New York. I think that the fact that she's going to a big city can be both good and bad for her security profile.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Johan T. Lindwall (second best gossip after Daniel Nyhlén is these days correspondent in the USA for Expressen) and gives Madeleine tips, where she can hang out in NY.
A statement from him:
If you want to know more, feel free to call me. Your big sister Victoria or her mentor Elisabeth Tarras Wahlberg have my number

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=507436

Old 01-17-2006, 07:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
I think Madeleine has enough class to stay away from Paris Hilton. Besides, if there are pictures of Madeleine dancing on top of tables, I'm sure the Royal Court and her parents won't be amused!
Well there already exists some pretty nice dancing pictures of Madeleine, I dont know if she is on the tables but this skimpy gold top speakes for itself
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...0&d=1131182268
Pic from expressen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
Johan T. Lindwall (second best gossip after Daniel Nyhlén is these days correspondent in the USA for Expressen) and gives Madeleine tips, where she can hang out in NY.
You know its a quality paper when they would send someone like Lindwall to be a correspondent in USA
Old 01-17-2006, 07:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
Well there already exists some pretty nice dancing pictures of Madeleine, I dont know if she is on the tables but this skimpy gold top speakes for itself
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...0&d=1131182268
Pic from expressen
How cruel of you Larzen...to dig out this unfortunate shot again

Quote:
You know its a quality paper when they would send someone like Lindwall to be a correspondent in USA
very true. I wonder, what he does in NY...probably not reports from the Wallstreet
One thing is clear: Little Madeleine will get the short end of the stick. Now Johan T. has probably only one target in NYC: Madeleine (instead of wallstreet )
Old 01-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Royal Highness

Madeleine is young. She can go out and party. That photo however, is really unfortunate. I mean compared to some people that is really tame. I think Madeleine needs security. She does have a higher profile than the rest of us, even though she is in a different country/city. Plus, in NYC people get mugged everyday...imagine this: Pretty, blonde, foreign girl with a Gucci purse and Chanel sunglasses. :(
Old 01-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
.. I think Madeleine needs security. She does have a higher profile than the rest of us, even though she is in a different country/city. Plus, in NYC people get mugged everyday...imagine this: Pretty, blonde, foreign girl with a Gucci purse and Chanel sunglasses. :(
now, now. Of course <someone> gets mugged daily in a city of 9 million people with a GDP bigger than Switzerland.
But to set the record straight here and defend a city I once called home, New York city is, on the record, one of <the> safest cities in the United States these days. And therefore a great choice for a princess who wants to do her own thing for a bit.

(Check this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City
and scroll down to the chapter titled 'Crime'. Among other info, it contains this quote:
"Since 1991, New York City has seen a continuous fifteen-year trend of decreasing crime and is now the safest large city in the United States. Neighborhoods that were once considered dangerous are now thriving with new businesses and housing, and many residents feel safe to walk the streets late at night. Violent crime in the city has dropped by 75% in the last twelve years")

I doubt, in other words, that Madeleine will have to fend off criminals on a daily basis in New York. But then again, she is the daughter of the monarch of a well-to-do nation, so therefore by default it couldn't hurt to be extra careful, I suppose. So I don't think Madeleine would jettison the idea of schlepping around a beefy body guard or two just yet!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Royal Highness

I've been to NYC and have relatives who live there. I know it's pretty safe. I'm just saying Madeleine might be a little bit more susceptible than the rest of us if she doesn't have security. She probably will though.:)
Old 01-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I've been to NYC and have relatives who live there. I know it's pretty safe. I'm just saying Madeleine might be a little bit more susceptible than the rest of us if she doesn't have security. She probably will though.:)
soCal, sorry, I misunderstood your comments. :(
Old 01-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Royal Highness

Haha. It's fine princess olga. NYC can be pretty intimidating to a first-timer though. But Madeleine has three friends she can lean on. I wonder where she'll live? Probably some posh-apartment, all expenses paid!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Well we don't know that at this time, but I assume that they will send a group of Säpo guards (who can alternate being on duty in groups of two or so) with her to New York. I think that the fact that she's going to a big city can be both good and bad for her security profile.
Don't foreign VIPS (Presidents/Royals/Dignitaries & their families) get Secret Service protection as well? If its not Secret Service I think they get some sort of US Protection.
I could be wrong though.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Royal Highness

They do get some of protection I believe, but foreign VIPs don't stay for months time in NYC. Besides, it would probably be better for Madeleine and her friends when they are with her to be with bodyguards they are familiar with and trust. Besides Madeleine isn't going there to represent Sweden and do any official duties pertaining government work.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Aristocracy

I live in NYC right now (between 1st and 2nd, Lower East Side) and I can honestly say that if it doesn't make the news, people won't notice. It's not like she's here for a state visit and tying up traffic or anything, so she should be able to blend in. The ritzier stores, 5th Ave. and Madison Ave. in particular, are known for their discretion towards their patrons and she'll completely blend in down in SoHo. I hope she has a good trip! She'll definitely find it warmer than Sweden is right now .
Old 01-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Royal Highness

Madeleine will probably blend in very well. But she should still be given protection. A couple years ago there were a couple of guys with a plan to kidnap her or something. A move to a busy, foreign place would be perfect for a kidnapper because there wouldn't be so many photographers or people recognizing her. Not saying this will happen but precautions should be taken. It certainly will be warmer but everywhere is freezing for me! California has taken to the chills right now, I don't know what to do. My feet are freezing.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Madeleine will probably blend in very well. But she should still be given protection. A couple years ago there were a couple of guys with a plan to kidnap her or something. A move to a busy, foreign place would be perfect for a kidnapper because there wouldn't be so many photographers or people recognizing her. Not saying this will happen but precautions should be taken. It certainly will be warmer but everywhere is freezing for me! California has taken to the chills right now, I don't know what to do. My feet are freezing.
The US has to pay for Madeleine´s protection (up to the so called "Vienna convention"). Madeleine will practice up from february 4 months at Unicef. She will work with preventive issues (child labour, child soldiers, child prostitution...)

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhete...764133,00.html

Lena´s comment:
Sounds good (as long as it is a Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm work)
Old 01-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Heir Apparent

really? she's going to work at UNICEF ?
well... that's a really great news, isn't it? at least she's doing something really productive..
Old 01-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it's great news that Princess Madeleine will do a practical/trainee stint with the UNICEF!

Information Secretary Ann-Christine Jernberg at the Information and Press Department with the Royal Court comments to this week's Svensk Damtidning that this will be a part of her long-term education (which sounds to me as they are aiming at giving her a broad education for her future as a representative of Sweden).
Old 01-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

UNICEF? wow that impressing! I honesly did not think she would do anything like that... I imagined a english course or something :)

but good for her! I´m sure she will learn alot of things she can use in the future
Old 01-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Courtier

Thumbs up Brilliant!

That is brilliant news Princess Madeleine will study and learn about such sensitive issues. That will enchance he education a lot. Good on Princess Madeleine. :)
Old 01-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Royal Highness

I'm glad to hear that Madeleine is going to work at UNICEF. She will learn and see a lot of things. This seems to be a very productive and focused stay.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

According to our favourite Kändis-reporter, Daniel Nyhlén, Madeleine doesn´t just leave the country to broaden her horizon, no, she also wants to escape from all the attention. The whole situation should have escalated this autumn (court reporter Lena was rather surprised about this extremely dull autumn) Madeleine can´t go anywhere without being watched. There should have been some kind of secret agreement with the press, that she shouldn´t be photographed in clubs. As we all know (golden trashy top) this though happened. Besides Jonas Bergström should have quarreled with a known athlete (I guess that´s it is, what "idrottsprofil" means), who wanted to contact his bestly beloved.

http://www.tv4.se/kandis/438257.html

Tags
new york, princess madeleine, unicef