Princess Madeleine, Current Events Part 9: June 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Message from Princess Madeleine on her Facebook page:
''Each year, it is estimated that 1 in 6 boys and 1 in 4 girls are sexually abused before the age of 18 in the United States. Globally, every year, it is estimated that 150 million girls and 73 million boys experience sexual violence. Despite these astronomical numbers, child sexual abuse is rarely discussed and solutions do not adequately address the public health crisis affecting one tenth of the world’s children. But is not our children’s obligation to keep themselves safe. We, as adults, have an obligation to ensure that our children are surrounded by child protectors.

In 1999, my mother decided to use her voice to speak about children’s rights and founded the World Childhood Foundation. I have always admired my mother’s courage and aim to continue her work in combatting child sexual abuse. Now as a mother of two, I am even more determined to help create a world free from sexual abuse for all children in our lifetime. The first step in combatting sexual abuse is removing the stigma from discussing the abuse, which requires learning the facts, talking about it with our children and investing in prevention. Because of this I am so excited to share with you a new mobile app which is launching today called the “Stewards of Children Prevention Toolkit,” created in partnership with the World Childhood Foundation, Darkness to Light and Ericsson.

I hope that with the availability of this new app, all adults who have caring roles with children, including parents, teachers, coaches, church communities and other youth serving professionals as well as health care providers for children, will take the time to educate themselves about child sexual abuse and everyday protection approaches, and can feel better equipped on how to react when specific concerns about a child arise.

We live in a digital world and it is crucial that technology is integrated in our fight to end child sexual abuse and not for online child abuse. Let us commit together to keep our #EyesWideOpen and ensure that we keep the children in our lives safe from all forms of violence. Please, download the app today: www.SOCAPP.org''

Later today she will attend a seminar and gala in nyc

Princess Madeleine wrote an article in time magazine:
http://motto.time.com/4502596/child-sex-abuse-statistics-princess-madeleine-sweden/
'Princess Madeleine of Sweden: Why I’m Campaigning to End Child Sex Abuse
By Princess Madeleine of Sweden
Sept. 29, 2016
Ending the cycle begins with parental action

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, nearly 60,000 children were sexually abused in the United States in 2014. Globally, 18% of women and 8% of men report being victims of childhood sexual abuse. Despite these astronomical numbers, child sexual abuse is rarely discussed and solutions do not adequately address the public health crisis affecting such a large number of children.

We know that children who are sexually abused are at a greater risk for later mental health and anxiety syndromes, including depression and suicidal thoughts. The societal and economic consequences of not addressing the problem, or investing in prevention of, sexual abuse of children are grave. In 1999, my mother decided to use her voice to speak about children’s rights and founded the World Childhood Foundation, which has since funded more than 1,000 projects in 20 countries. I have always admired my mother’s courage and aim to continue her work in combatting child sexual abuse. Now as a mother of two, I am even more determined to help create a world free from sexual abuse for all children in our lifetime.

But it is not our children’s obligation to keep themselves safe. We, as adults, have an obligation to ensure that our children are surrounded by child protectors.

Child sexual abuse thrives in silence. The first step in combatting sexual abuse is removing the stigma from discussing the abuse, which requires learning the facts, talking about it with our children and investing in prevention.

Learn the facts. We live in a digital world and it is crucial that technology is integrated in our fight. The new mobile app “Stewards of Children Prevention Toolkit” provides tools and educational resources for adults to prevent, recognize and respond to child sexual abuse.

Talk about it. Create a safe environment to talk to your child about sexual abuse, including body safety, anatomical language and personal boundaries.

Recognize the signs. The most common signs of sexual abuse are emotional and behavioral changes, such as “too perfect” behavior, withdrawal, fear, depression, unexplained anger and rebellion. Indirect physical signs can include anxiety, chronic stomach pain and headaches.

React responsibly. If a child shares that they have been abused, stay calm, praise the child’s courage and listen.

As a new school year begins, let us commit together to keep our #EyesWideOpen and ensure that we keep the children in our lives safe from all forms of violence.
HRH Princess Madeleine of Sweden'

Hurray....GO MADELEINE!

She is wonderful, I admire her a lot for being a champion for the horrific plight of those poor little girls, same for Mabel von Oranje.:)

This such a great cause, one I believe we have seen her at events for. They should be emphasizing her work, the Royal circular, this cause needs the attention. A lot of amazing women involved like Mabel and Mary Robinson. :flowers:

Statement from the Princess
'I was saddened these last days when I read of reports of pictures of abused children online... it is very important that this issue are raised! I think about my own children, and all the other kids I meet. What can one do to help strengthen them? Through my involvement in Childhood I've learnt some very important things.
This in particular:
It is possible to prevent sexual violence against children, online or offline. The first step is to have safe, engaged adults in the child's vicinity. Parents, teachers, an aunt or grandmother who strengthen the child by being there, to talk and listen to him/her.'
https://www.facebook.com/PrincessMadeleineOfSweden/

From the website of the Swedish embassy:
H.R.H. Princess Madeleine of Sweden to read with children at the children’s library Room for Children at Southbank Centre on Tuesday.
Room for Children is a Swedish library concept with the child in focus. Newly opened it will stay open at London’s Southbank Centre throughout 2017 as part of the ongoing Nordic art and culture festival Nordic Matters.
H.R.H. Princess Madeleine of Sweden will visit the library on Tuesday to read with children.
Room for Children's library shelves boasts with renowned Nordic authors such as Elsa Beskow, Astrid Lindgren and Thorbjørn Egner. The library aims to inspire children aged 0-10 to read and discover. The majority of the books are in English but some Nordic language books can also be found.
“Good literature gives the child a place in the world and the world a place in the child,” Swedish author Astrid Lindgren once said. Good literature allows children around the world to further their understanding of one another. Therefore it’s important that there’s literature that all children feel part of, and have access to.
Children’s literature is important, and popular, in Sweden. Several prestigious children’s literature prizes are awarded every year, including the world’s largest – the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award (ALMA). Last year’s ALMA winner was Londoner Meg Rosoff.
Room for Children is a concept developed by the Swedish Institute and Kulturhuset/Stadsteatern Stockholm, and has been built together with the Poetry Library and Embassy of Sweden in London, with the assistance of the Nordic Embassies and Representations in London, UK and Swedish publishers as well as Ikea.
Princess Madeleine at London’s Southbank Centre | SwedenAbroad

The courts article about todays engagement:
Prinsessan Madeleine invigde barnbiblioteket Room for Children - Sveriges Kungahus

On Tuesday, 14 February Princess Madeleine Children inaugurated the Library Room for Children at the Southbank Centre in London. The library is part of the festival Nordic matters that will continue throughout 2017. Upon arrival at the Southbank Centre Princess Madeleine was met by, among others, Tamsin Ace, who led the work of the Nordic Festival and South Bank Mini-Makers Festival, and some 10 children aged 10.

During the inauguration ceremony Carina Einarsson performed music by Georg Riedel. Princess Madeleine also had the opportunity to meet with children in the library and talk about books and reading.

Nordic Matters

Throughout 2017 the festival Nordic matters will take place at the Southbank Centre in London . The project is one of the largest international investments in Nordic culture and ideas ever. During the year, Nordic art, music, design, literature, performing arts and ideas are presented. In addition there is the children's library Room for Children at the South Bank Centre open throughout the year. The library is developed by Room for Children in Stockholm.

A video from the visit:
Här hanterar Madeleine situationen som ett proffs – se härliga filmen! | Svensk Damtidning -''Madeleine handled the situation like a pro!''

She also gave a very big and quite revealing interview to expressen:

Madeleine: 'Chris gets very undeserved criticism''

Princess Madeleine has been criticized for being the member of the royal family who works least.
In an exclusive interview with Expressen she now back hits at critics, talks about her dyslexia and about her great love of Chris O'Neill - denies reports that the couple is in crisis.
- As a couple, we have it so very well, so it feels so strange.

Camera flashes light like never before.
- You have more patience than I have with this, whispers Princess Madeleine to the children gathered beside her.
Madeleine is at the Southbank Centre in London to make her first official engagement of the year.
She inaugurated the "Room for Children", a Nordic children's library, whose concept is inspired from the Kulturhuset in Stockholm.
- It's really fun to see how many incredibly talented Swedish and Nordic writers we have, especially in children's literature. It is fun. And they are relevant still! Pippi and Emil for example. All children just love those characters even today, says Princess Madeleine afterwards.
Children - large and small - sitting with Princess in the small library, showing off their favorite books. They also ask Madeleine if she has a crown, how many languages ​​she can speak and whether she likes prinsesstårtor ( a cake) - which incidentally was served to the children as a snack.

- It is a place where one could sit indefinitely, exclaims Madeleine before she gets up and says goodbye to the children.
It is this type of commitment - to showcase Sweden and Swedish culture in Britain - that she has previously spoken about wanting to spend their time on.

'We feel good in London'

The Princess and the family, her husband Chris and children Leonore, 2, and Nicolas, 1, are residents here since the fall of 2015.
- We do well in London. It is clear that we miss Sweden. But London ... It's so easy to go home, so it's not as hard. And the kids, I also get on well.

Sometimes the princess gets criticised for not representing Sweden often enough

- Yes ...

Can the princess respond to that criticism? How do you react when you read'see it?
- While I also understand, the criticism does upset me, but now I have chosen to invest in these early years of my children, but of course, as they get older, I want to do more official engagements.
Both she and the court of Communications Margareta Thorgren, were present during the interview, the press officer also said that Princess Madeleine formally has no obligation to represent. She does not receive appanage for a full-time job - but receives money in proportion to the tasks she performs.
In practice, it is the head of state, the king, which distributes tasks among family members.

''I want to be a present mother''

Princess Madeleine has previously stated in SVT's "Skavlan" that she had a loving upbringing - but the king and queen were rarely home because of royal duties.
She wants, she says, to try to avoid it.
- I think it's very important to be a present mom if I can. But it's definitely a balancing act. With time, I will take on on more engagements. But it's not that I do not do anything at all.
Madeleine addresses, her commitments to Childhood she also reveals that she plans to release a book.
- I'm also working on a separate project, my book project.

What is it about?

- Yes, said the princess laughing and she said that she can not say anything more for the moment.
- But it is a children's book. So we'll see, in the future, what it will be. You will get to know more.
The Children's Book Project is an initiative of Princess Madeleine and the creative process of the project will last about a year.
- At the moment I can only say that it will be fun. It feels great.

What children's books did the princess read during her childhood? Did you read a lot?

- Yes, we read a lot. But then I too have dyslexia as do Victoria, and Carl Philip, so we found other ways of enjoying books. We listened very a lot to book recordings, and looked much about books. So yes, books are and were incredibly important. It opens one up to imagination and one learns a lot, both facts and more.

-Books are really something you where one can invite all parents to sit down with their children, enjoying the moment and reading a book together.

What does the princess read at home now that she has children?

- Previously Leonore did not really have the patience, but now she is becoming more and more fond of books, which is great fun. It is a cozy moment one has together. We of course read Pippi in the beginning, but we mostly read picture books until recently.
Leonore had no patience and Nicolas is her polar opposite, says Madeleine as she smiles.
- He has always loved books! So when you can not find him ... he is crept up in a chair and sitting with a little book by himself, upside down, like he was trying to look in. It's very fun, so he will probably be a bookworm!

A Million followers

Although Madeleine lives in London, the Swedish people and the media often see small glimpses of family life. Princess Madeleine has a Facebook page with just under a million followers.
- It's been fun to see that there are so many who think it is fun to follow me on facebook. I post about many issues that lie close to my heart, for instance Childhood and children's rights- tough topics. So I think it's great to see that people do not close their eyes to these things, but they read the articles that I feel are important.
But it is of course a place where I post some personal pictures.

As recent as last week Princess Madeleine shared pictures of a walk she and Leonore took along the streets of London.
- It's fun to share glimpses of our life, since we do not live in Sweden. I understand that people wonder how our lives are and perhas are curious. I try to be as accessible ass possible, but then one can not exaggerate either.

How do you find the right balance on facebook?

- I doing it for the Swedish people so that they are able to follow Leonore and Nicolas and be part of their lives, but also to avoid paparazzi from chasing us, since we feel that we'd rather put out a picture ourselves. I think Chris is okay and is comfortable with it, rather than being chased around town and taking pictures of Leonore and Nicolas that we do not want.

'Completely normal in London'

To constantly live in the spotlight is something that Madeleine grew up with it. But when she walks out on the balcony to meet photographer Olle Sporrong to take photographs she states herself that in London they actually be "ordinary".
- Look, they sit there wondering "who is that person they are taking pictures of," she says smiling referring to the cafe guests through the panoramic windows where Madeleine posed for cameras.

How long will you live here? Do you plan to move?

- We are very happy here right now. This is where Chris works and has his business, but there's nothing which says that we will be here forever. We are also discussing about moving home to Sweden. That is something which is definitely not out of the question.

Speaking of Chris, how is he?

- He is well, thank you!

How's the Swedish coming along?
- "It is going well," says Princess Madeleine mimicking Chris' accent.
- No, but it is difficult, or whatever it is, that he says ... But it's going ok! It will be easier for him when he spends more time in Sweden. But just to have kids at home, looking in books with them, makes him learn more. He understands some.
Those who never met Chris may have an image of a "bad boy" and it is an image that Madeleine would like to correct.
- Sometimes I think Chris gets much undeserved criticism. It's very boring to see some headlines that are written. I feel that as a couple we have it so very well together, so it feels so alien to read the headlines back at home that 'he's angry' and he's this and that, says Madeleine, looking out over the Thames.
- It is not like that! It's a bit sad that such things are spread.

The Princess has grown up with such writing, but how does Chris deal with it?

- I think he learns more and more how to handle it. It was a bit difficult in the beginning. He is a very emotional person, so it was a little difficult at first, but now I think he handles it very well, there's a difference now that we live here in London, for it is not the same kind of pressure when going down to the streets do something.
The situation is different in Sweden, she says.
- But Chris likes to be in Sweden, he has many friends there, and he likes the Swedish culture and food. So I absolutely believe that we will end up in Sweden in end. It's just a question of when not if.

Im very surprised at how open and direct she is in this interview, a very good one indeed!

Last edited:
A
How long will you live here? Do you plan to move?

- We are very happy here right now. This is where Chris works and has his business, but there's nothing which says that we will be here forever. We are also discussing about moving home to Sweden. That is something which is definitely not out of the question.

Speaking of Chris, how is he?

- He is well, thank you!

How's the Swedish coming along?
- "It is going well," says Princess Madeleine mimicking Chris' accent.
- No, but it is difficult, or whatever it is, that he says ... But it's going ok! It will be easier for him when he spends more time in Sweden. But just to have kids at home, looking in books with them, makes him learn more. He understands some.
Those who never met Chris may have an image of a "bad boy" and it is an image that Madeleine would like to correct.
- Sometimes I think Chris gets much undeserved criticism. It's very boring to see some headlines that are written. I feel that as a couple we have it so very well together, so it feels so alien to read the headlines back at home that 'he's angry' and he's this and that, says Madeleine, looking out over the Thames.
- It is not like that! It's a bit sad that such things are spread.

The Princess has grown up with such writing, but how does Chris deal with it?

- I think he learns more and more how to handle it. It was a bit difficult in the beginning. He is a very emotional person, so it was a little difficult at first, but now I think he handles it very well, there's a difference now that we live here in London, for it is not the same kind of pressure when going down to the streets do something.
The situation is different in Sweden, she says.
- But Chris likes to be in Sweden, he has many friends there, and he likes the Swedish culture and food. So I absolutely believe that we will end up in Sweden in end. It's just a question of when not if.

Im very surprised at how open and direct she is in this interview, a very good one indeed!

It looks to me that Madeleine would rather move back to Sweden, but lives instead in London because of Chris. By the time her children are of school age, she will have to make a choice though: either the kids stay in London and lose their succession rights and titles under the terms of the Act of Succession, or they move back to Sweden and keep their membership of the Royal House.

Personally, I think Madeleine wants Leonore and Nicholas to remain HRHs, but it will be difficult to persuade Chris to move permanently to Sweden. That conflict will inevitably put a strain on their relationship, even if Madeleine denies it as she did again in that interview.

Last edited:
:previous:

It remains to be seen whether the king will authorize his grandchildren to keep their titles or their membership of the Royal House if and when they lose their succession rights. The Act of Succession affects only succession and the king is not bound by his predecessors' actions as regards titles and membership.

Last edited:
Expresen published a new part of the interview which Madde gave during her engagement at the southbank centre in London:
'Princess Madeleine has made an active choice to stay at home as much as possible with her children.

Expressen talks about her conscious strategy to educate children - and reveals that Leonore just started kindergarten.

- For me it is important that they get a Swedish upbringing even though we live abroad.
Princess Madeleine is in London when Expressen meets her after she inaugurates the Nordic children's library "Room for Children" at the South Bank Centre.

During the opening ceremony Madeleine is joined by several children who show her around in the library and the princess looks to be delighted by the children's presence. Their own children are Leonore, 2, and Nicolas, 1 - she tries to spend as much time with them as possible.

- For me it is important to talk about Sweden to them, and to push on with the Swedish language. It is important that they get a Swedish upbringing even though we live abroad. We have a Swedish nanny, for example, and Swedish is a big part of our lives, she says.

Much of the time in London Madeleine spends at home with the children

- But Leonore has just started nursery scholl. Finally, I say ...

Is it so bad then?

- No, says Princess Madeleine, laughing.
- But she needs a lot of stimulation! It has been great, she goes from 9 to 12 so far. So the day is short, there is still a large part of the day to be filled with activities and stimulation.

Much of the time Madeleine spends with the children is spent outdoors.

- It is also something Swedish I want to instill in them. That despite the rain, and the park being completely empty it is important to spend time outdoors, says Madeleine and smiles.

- It is only us Swedes out there with our rain gear on.

During the interview, Madeleine also states how important it is for her to protect children from the photographers. Therefore she and her husband Chris O'Neill themselves take pictures of the children, which they often share via Madeleine's official Facebook page.

- I also do it for the Swedish people to be able to follow Leonore and Nicolas and take part of their lives. But also to avoid the paparazzi chasing us. We feel that we'd rather put out a picture that Chris and I think is okay and are comfortable with, than being are chased around town resulting in pictures of Leonore and Nicolas that we do not approve of.'
Madeleine: Så uppfostrar jag barnen utomlands | Nyheter | Expressen

Princess Madeleine will be inaugurating the European Equestrian Elite Competition at the Ullevi arena in Gothenburg on the 21st of August. Madeleine is a keen a equestrian she has participated in several equestrian competitions in the past using a pseudonym, she has her Stockholm residence in the building of The Royal Mews, and has undertook several horse related engagements over the years.
Ulf Brömster, the chairman of the Swedish Euqestrian Federation said, 'We are extremely excited and honored, that the Princess has accepted our invitation.'
https://translate.google.com/transl...eleine-inviger-em-hedrade/&edit-text=&act=url
Madeleines nya uppdrag på hemmaplan | Svensk Damtidning

Heres an old photo of her competing
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/18....14/1390581384130/PRM-hästhoppning-280-187.jpg

Princess Madeleine will be inaugurating the European Equestrian Elite Competition at the Ullevi arena in Gothenburg on the 21st of August. Madeleine is a keen a equestrian she has participated in several equestrian competitions in the past using a pseudonym, she has her Stockholm residence in the building of The Royal Mews, and has undertook several horse related engagements over the years.
Ulf Brömster, the chairman of the Swedish Euqestrian Federation said, 'We are extremely excited and honored, that the Princess has accepted our invitation.'
https://translate.google.com/transl...eleine-inviger-em-hedrade/&edit-text=&act=url
Madeleines nya uppdrag på hemmaplan | Svensk Damtidning

Heres an old photo of her competing
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/18....14/1390581384130/PRM-hästhoppning-280-187.jpg

The engagement has been added to her page on the court calendar
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
Madeleine at the opening ceremony of Longines FEI European Championships Gothenburg 2017 at Ullevi Stadium.
Prinsessan Madeleine inviger EM
Madeleine i Göteborg _ Svensk Damtidning
IBL Bildbyrå
Belga Image

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYEB_zqA6-w/?taken-at=427094658
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYECQ_Vlz5f/?taken-at=427094658

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia attend at the final of the Championships on Sunday.

Here are some additional photos from the opening of the Longines FEI European Championships in Gothenburg.

PPE Agency

Extracts from an interview with svenskdam

On Monday, princess Madeleine was in Gothenburg to inaugurate the European championships in equestrian sports. She made her entrance at the Ullevi Arena in one of the Royal Mews' own carriages and she was certainly in her territory!
- It's great to be here in Gothenburg and that the championships are being held in Sweden. I myself have been involved in equestrian sports for as long as I can remember. It has meant a lot to me, just as it does for so many.

This royal engagement suited the princess like a glove. Madeleine is a good old horse girl and she thinks it's fun to be an equestrian.
- It is the second biggest youth sport, so this is a championship that many young girls and boys will follow, says the princess who also says that riding is one of the most popular sports for persons with disabilities and that these riders are important role models for many child viewers
Madeleine ridsports EM | Svensk Damtidning.

She looks wonderful and happy. Beautiful Madeleine!?

Princess Madeleine will be visiting the Swedish embassy in London to hold meetings with Swedish companies that have offices in England later today. I hope there'll be some coverage/photos. No information regarding the time of the engagement, but I'll be looking at news sites from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom