Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill & Family, General News Part 3: Sept 2017 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Article in Svensk Damtidning

The mystery surrounding Madeleine is puzzling: "Nobody understands what's happening"
Madeleine's conditions changed fundamentally a year ago. Then it became clear that the royal house was shrinking, following a decision by King Carl Gustaf. But what did this mean more concretely for Madeleine?
Well, it is clear that Madeleine has very few royal assignments. The big exception is the work with the World Childhood Foundation, which was founded by her mother, Queen Silvia.
- What she does is digital, she is a member of the American board and they have a board meeting in November, Åsa Andreasson, communications manager at World Childhood Foundation, told to Svensk Damtidning.
Madeleine is also part of the organization around the Childhood Prize.
- There she is a member of the jury and all our jury meetings this year take place digitally. The first start-up meeting has already taken place and she has participated, says Åsa.
But what else does Madeleine do? It is this question that eludes the most ardent royal experts. Ellen Myrgård Lindén, reporter at Svensk Damtidning, is one of them.
- When the king made the decision to shrink the family with titles, there was no doubt that the royal couple and Victoria and Daniel would be the magic four, in the representation work. But then came the corona virus and our head of state made a quick decision to leave the capital for an isolated existence at Stenhammar Castle. Carl Philip and Sofia had to step forward more - otherwise the Crown Princess couple's work would have been far too heavy. But where was Madeleine?, many people asked themselves, says Ellen.
- Of course, many believed that she would go in and relieve her siblings, and in the long run help her parents, but there were no performances from Florida - neither physical nor digital. Madeleine had taken a clear step away from the spotlight (despite the corona virus) and no one understood what was happening.
Prinsessan Madeleine – stora gåtan i hennes liv _*Svensk Dam

Margareta Thorgren said to Svensk Damtidning that due to covid-19 there are stricter restrictions in Florida that apply. And Madeleine's family follows them. Therefore they can not come home to Sweden at Christmas.
prinsessan madeleines sorg –*hovet bekräftar _*Svensk Dam
I wish Svensk Damtidning would leave Madeleine and her family alone. Without SD's constant made up controversies about the family and their frequent inquiries to Margareta Thorgren about things that nobody else really cares about the O'Neills would largely be left to live the life in private that they've seemingly always wanted.

Last edited:
On slow news days they do the same as any other paper. Rehash older stories and make them sound new again.

Expressen's article with photos taken in August
Autumn has been tough for Madeleine and Chris O'Neill.
At the same time as a second wave of pandemics has swept the world, Chris' companies have continued to lose money, according to Svensk Damtidning.
For Princess Madeleine, it has been hard not to be able to meet the family at home in Sweden - she misses Christmas and was not allowed to say goodbye to her mother's brother Walther Sommerlath who passed away during the autumn.
Chris och Maddes tuffa månader med varandra _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

It seems Chris's Company is losing money for a long time. Once I think I read in the SD that his brother in law bailed him out, since he also was or is part owner. It maybe a bit harder at present with the Pandemic. Hope his co recovers. Madeleine missing her family is understandable. Hope 2021 is better for everyone.

Madeleine and Chris's apartment at the Royal Mews was renovated in 2014, but now Expressen tells that there was another renovation in 2019.

Madeleine and Chris O'Neill's overnight accommodation in Stockholm has been quietly expanded and top renovated - at the expense of the state. The couple has had the help of Madeleine's best friend, Louise "Lussan" Thott.
The final bill was twice as high as planned: SEK 5 million.
The project led to disagreement about how the bill between the National Property Board and the court should be distributed. Property Board's legal director Mats Wiberg confirms that there was a discussion about whether the royal family would pay anything.
The Property Board's own internal audit has also specially examined the redevelopment of Madeleine's home, both the one carried out in 2014 and the most recent where planning began in autumn 2018 and was carried out in 2019.
The latest renovation began in the autumn 2018. Why the family suddenly needed a larger home is not known. Margareta Thorgren says that there are several reasons, it has to do with logistics and security aspects, security issues are not commented on by the court.
Madeleine and her family live for free at their apartment with reference to the royal right of disposition as Madeleine is part of the royal family.
Thorgren says that Louise Thott has partly participated in the project and acted as a helping hand to Madeleine. No cost for her work has been charged to the National Property Board.
Budgeten sprängdes när prinsessan renoverade
Translation

Princess Madeleine had her luxury apartment in Stockholm renovated. This led to a conflict.
Prinsessan Madeleine renoverade i smyg – stort bråk _*Svensk Dam

Last edited:
Allt om kungligt writes about that renovation, that a new revelation shows that Madeleine's apartment at the Royal Mews has been renovated again. The cost of SEK 5 million must be paid by the Swedish taxpayers.
In 2014, the floor was renovated at a price of SEK 6.8 million. The National Property Board provided for the necessary while Madeleine and Chris O’Neill paid for the more luxurious extravagances.
In 2018/2019 it was time again to make the apartment bigger, Madeleine's apartment was built together with an adjacent one and a large walk-in closet was made. According to information, the National Property Board built a new bedroom, dressing room and another bathroom, in addition to the walk-in closet. The budget was 2.5 million, but the renovation cost five million, as Madeleine is said to have demanded a higher standard.
Svenska folket fick betala Madeleines renovering - Allt om kungligt
Translation

Last edited:
A basic upkeep expense I can see being paid for by the Country. Any extra expense should be paid by Princess Madeleine and Chris O’Neil, especially if Madeleine demanded higher end furnishings. Now comes into play will the King pay for the extravagant and unnecessary upgrades? Reading in a prior post here Madeleine and Chris may be having money issues due to his business problems\Covid, they may not have monies to pay for Madeleines higher end choices (and now moving back to England because of his company problems). Perhaps like others, they need to cut down on expenses. No matter what country, the citizens do not like to see their taxes/monies spent on unnecessary items by family members of royal or non Royals, when citizens need help themselves. Money could be used for better issues. Also she no longer is a working active member of the royal family representing her father is she? So some of these benefits need to be taken away. JMOO

Also she no longer is a working active member of the royal family representing her father is she? So some of these benefits need to be taken away. JMOO

I suppose the trickiness might be that she remains a member of the Royal House and formally is considered a working royal still. See the communiqué on the changes to the Royal House last year, which also covered the roles of Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine.

https://www.kungahuset.se/press/pre...mdetkunglhuset.5.18cc416116d61fe304a878b.html

A basic upkeep expense I can see being paid for by the Country. Any extra expense should be paid by Princess Madeleine and Chris O’Neil, especially if Madeleine demanded higher end furnishings. Now comes into play will the King pay for the extravagant and unnecessary upgrades? Reading in a prior post here Madeleine and Chris may be having money issues due to his business problems\Covid, they may not have monies to pay for Madeleines higher end choices (and now moving back to England because of his company problems). Perhaps like others, they need to cut down on expenses. No matter what country, the citizens do not like to see their taxes/monies spent on unnecessary items by family members of royal or non Royals, when citizens need help themselves. Money could be used for better issues. Also she no longer is a working active member of the royal family representing her father is she? So some of these benefits need to be taken away. JMOO

Are they moving back to England?

A few pages back, someone mentioned on here they were moving back to England for Chris’s job. Maybe the person who posted can post again please? I was surprised because of health restrictions right now.

The family is not moving to England. Madeleine and Chris bought a big house in December 2019 in Pinecrest, Florida, and the family moved there in the beginning of this year.

Svensk Damtidning writes that Madeleine and Chris have a new car. They have previously had BMWs and Range Rovers, now they have upgraded to a luxury model, a Cadillac Escalade.
Prinsessan Madeleine visar lyxköpet på nya bilderna _*Svensk Dam

Last edited:
The family is not moving to England. Madeleine and Chris bought a big house in December 2019 in Pinecrest, Florida, and the family moved there in the beginning of this year.

Svensk Damtidning writes that Madeleine and Chris have a new car. They have previously had BMWs and Range Rovers, now they have upgraded to a luxury model, a Cadillac Escalade.
Prinsessan Madeleine visar lyxköpet på nya bilderna _*Svensk Dam

Thanks for confirming, I knew that they had bought a house in Florida and seemed to be very settled there so I was doubtful of the “moving back to England” news (plus it seems like Chris prefers living in the U.S. as opposed to Europe).

Svensk Damtidning has found Debbie Bancroft's blog/New York Social Diary, where she writes about Madeleine as Madeleine O'Neill.
There is a photo of Madeleine at the blog
"Beautiful Madeleine O’Neill made her way here from Sweden, via London.
We all celebrated Valentine’s Day early at a three-hour ladies lunch. We don’t luxuriate that way in New York. I’ve also noted that women seemed to have taken control of their own Valentine’s Day. No disappointment that way!"
https://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/24.jpg
Debbie's Week at a Glance_ All for the Gators, Stand up and holler! _ New York Social Diary

Princess Madeleine - the pictures show the luxury life in Florida
Prinsessan Madeleine lever lyxliv under annat namn _*Svensk Dam
Translation

Svensk Damtidning has found Debbie Bancroft's blog/New York Social Diary, where she writes about Madeleine as Madeleine O'Neill.
We all celebrated Valentine’s Day early at a three-hour ladies lunch. We don’t luxuriate that way in New York. I’ve also noted that women seemed to have taken control of their own Valentine’s Day. No disappointment that way!"
Debbie's Week at a Glance_ All for the Gators, Stand up and holler! _ New York Social Diary

Quite a surprise after the announcement when they married that she would keep her own name and Prince Nicolas being registered as Bernadotte rather than O'Neill at the time of his birth.

Is she using O'Neill as an alias or has she legally changed the last names of herself and her children?

Not really surprised that Madeleine apparently goes by 'O'Neill' in daily life - that will surely help in being 'one of the crowd'; although still a rather privileged crowd.

Not really surprised that Madeleine apparently goes by 'O'Neill' in daily life - that will surely help in being 'one of the crowd'; although still a rather privileged crowd.

I'm not sure how much of a noticeable difference there would be. I suspect the name of Bernadotte wouldn't be recognizable to the average American, who may not even be aware Sweden has a reigning monarchy.

I know that it is rather common in certain countries, e.g. the Netherlands, for a married woman to use her maiden name in a legal or professional capacity and her husband's name in her social life, but I have the impression that most Swedish and American women use the same last name in every area of life. So I was surprised to see the princess calling herself O'Neill in her social life after using Bernadotte for her children's book and other professional activities.

I'm not sure how much of a noticeable difference there would be. I suspect the name of Bernadotte wouldn't be recognizable to the average American, who may not even be aware Sweden has a reigning monarchy.

I know that it is rather common in certain countries, e.g. the Netherlands, for a married woman to use her maiden name in a legal or professional capacity and her husband's name in her social life, but I have the impression that most Swedish and American women use the same last name in every area of life. So I was surprised to see the princess calling herself O'Neill in her social life after using Bernadotte for her children's book and other professional activities.

In the US it is most common for a woman to take her husband’s last name and to switch to using that last name both personally and professionally (although more and more women keep their last names or use their last name professionally and their husband’s privately- I personally plan to do this when I marry). Most Americans would not associate “Bernadotte” with the Swedish royal family- in fact, most of them don’t even know Sweden HAS a royal family!

Is it known what last name the children use at school? I know they were given the last name Bernadotte but do they use it or O’Neill?

You are probably right that for the average American the difference between Bernadotte and O'Neill is non-existent; and that mostly the same name is used in various situations. However, Madeleine is not an average American or Swede. She seems to carefully distinguish her official/professional life (which already consists of two identities: princess of Sweden and Bernadotte) from her private life; and maybe for her this is another way of creating a larger distance between her various roles?!

I guess most Americans would expect the whole family to go by the surname of the father and husband. When we lived in the States some people were a little confused that I used a hyphenated name (according to Dutch tradition: husband's surname-maiden name) and my husband did not (his surname)... So, at times they would address is both with the hyphenated name; while we would always address ourselves (if combined) with only my husband's surname.

It's always interesting to see the various traditions; and in this case, try to guess how Madeleine (and her children) go about their naming customs.

Princess Madeleine - the pictures show the luxury life in Florida
Prinsessan Madeleine lever lyxliv under annat namn _*Svensk Dam
Translation

Is Madeleine O'Neill her legal name or the name she is using in the US now?

In Sweden, she is still " Hennes Kungliga Höghet Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine, Prinsessa av Sverige, Hertiginna av Hälsingland och Gästrikland". Her Swedish documents have a xxx on the surname field.

Curiously, the NY social blogger who called her O'Neill maybe doesn't even know she is the King of Sweden's youngest daughter.

EDIT: Meghan and Harry could get a clue from Madeleine not using her royal title/style in America.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom