Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family, General News 2: June 2015 - Sept 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
210px-Madeleinearms.svg.png

Arms of Princess Madeleine

Welcome to the General News of Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill, Princess Leonore and Prince Nicolas, Part 2

June 15, 2015 - September 21, 2017

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
Regarding Chris's looks: he's a very appealing man imo no matter what his weight. :flowers: A more trim and natty presentation would go far, though. ;)

Never thought of Chris as appealing but at the engagement photo he is handsome

Oh, but he is! ;) It's not for nothing that he had a reputation as a player when she started up with him. He is very intriguing. Ha! I look over at hubby and smile. No danger, love. :D

Not my type of man,I dont have to I sleep with him..

For now yes, but they will move to London in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

In the absence of other news on the couple: did anyone see Zorro lately? Is he still OK?
Last time I saw him on pictures was back in NY.

In the absence of other news on the couple: did anyone see Zorro lately? Is he still OK?
Last time I saw him on pictures was back in NY.

I saw a picture of him either the day Nicolas went home or the day after. Chris and Leonore were walking him

Oh, glad to hear he's fine ;-)
Was that picture posted somewhere?

Svensk Damtidning has an article about Chris's Rolex-watches.
Svensk Damtidning har kartlagt Chris klockor _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

In their paper issue Svensk Damtidning writes that when the new Apple watch was released, Wall Street Journal interviewed Christopher O'Neill, who was described as a New York based businessman and avid collector of Rolex watches with about 20 Rolexes. Chris told at the interview that he was going to buy an Apple watch to wear it at a gym and that he is a member of a group that collects mechanic watches. Svensk Damtidning has photos of four Chris's Rolexes, the Daytona "Paul Newman" Chronograph is worth SEK one million, Daytona "Big Read" SEK 300 000 and Submariner SEK 35 000.
SD tells also that Chris is a regular customer at Nymans Ur, the Rolex Expert in Stockholm. There is a photo of him visiting it on 3rd July. On 4th July Chris was seen at the airport to go with a regular flight to London, Madeleine and the children were in Solliden, queen Silvia told that to Expressen then.

So then? What do SD want to tell us? Chris is rich, if he evenwants to purhcase gazillions of watches he is free to do it. Seriously, this "newspaper" really is obsessed woth Chris! What he has ever done to thm? Ah wait... didn't flirt with media and/or cameras...

Chris has given a super long interview to Johan T Lindwall from Expressen:
Here are parts what he said, the rest can be read from the translation.

Earlier this year it became known that Chris, Madeleine and their two children after moving to Europe from New York will now settle in Britain.
- Yes, I've already moved. I moved in April and the rest of the family will come after to London. Getting to Sweden was only temporary. It was never intended to move to Sweden. The plan from the beginning was that we would stay in London, but then came the birth and we planned to be in Stockholm during the period.
Why don't you live in Sweden?
- We would definitely stay in Sweden if it had gone with my job, but I have a new job that requires I'm in London. Until now, I have had three to four flight per week in Europe, mostly to London. It doesn't work in the long run. At the end of New York time I commuted between London and New York. It wouldn't also worked in the long run. I had a while twelve days a month from New York to London. I and Madeleine have now taken the decision that we are going to stay in London so that I can do my work. I don't want to come home to a hotel room alone. I want to come home to my family and eat dinner together. Everything else is not important. It is I who am the breadwinner of the family. I must first and foremost think of our little family.
When Madeleine and the children are moving?
- It will not be for a few weeks, but not longer than a few months, it will be in early autumn.
Where do you live?
- We have a home that we hold on and complete.
Is it the same house as your mother Eva O'Neill bought and renovated?
- No. I know that that has been written, but it's not the house. Where we'll stay is a completely different place.
How long will you stay in London?
- It will be at least a few years. Of course I want that Madeleine and my children will be in Sweden as much as possible. We will spend a lot of time in Sweden and Madeleine will be in Sweden on official business. It will be a good solution for everyone involved.
What is your new job?
- Between I was 22 to 38 years, I sat over 12 hours a day in front of four computer screens, and made business analyzes. It lasted for 16 years and is hard job. What I do now is a new company with a number of partners where we make different business solutions for major corporations in Europe. The company is named Wilton Payments and in brief, we arrange different payment solutions for a number of large companies.
Chris has since July 2013 been "Director" at Wilton Payments Limited, registered in the United Kingdom. His brother in law John D'Abo is the owner and the only shareholder.
- I have ownership interests in several companies, something that is perfectly normal for an investor. Princess Madeleine has no ownership interest or position in any company that pays a dividend or are active in Europe. I have already explained the companies where she has a passive role.
Chris O'Neill has been away from several major royal ceremonies, including the king's birthday and National Day celebration:
- It may be hard to understand, but I will not be able to participate in all major official things. I work hard and it can be that with a major customer, a specific date may collide with an official royal occasion. What should I do? These customers do not have foresight in one month, it may be that I may be grateful that I get a small gap in their schedule.
Why you are seen by some as 'bad boy'?
- I don't know. They don't know me. They have no idea who I am. However, I can regret that I have been so private from the beginning. I should have been more open, but at the same time I don't have the same official role as Madeleine. It is not my role to explain myself. It's like in the rest of life, a lot of plus and minus sides. However, I must get used to being a public figure.
Have you started looking at the christening of little Nicolas?
- Yes, there are several dates we're looking at. It is not only we who decide because there are so many people involved in the baptism and the dates must be in order that everyone can be with.
Where will it be? Sweden or the UK?
- Definitely Sweden. It will not be on Öland, but in Stockholm and Drottningholm Palace chapel where we christened Leonore. It leans to Drottningholm. It will be similar to Leonore's.
Will Madeleine and the children live in Sweden until the baptism?
- No, then they have definitely moved to England. Now we are all together on Öland for the summer. I will soon return to London to work, but first we have to go to Stockholm and then I go on to England.
Chris O'Neill says that they spend in Solliden time daily with the other members of the royal family.
How do you call the king?
- I say the King, His Majesty or Sir. Never Carl Gustaf. Madeleine's parents are the most generous people there are. Lovely, who have released me into the family in a fantastic way. I am extremely grateful that I got to meet them.
Finally, the big question. How's swedish?
- Slowly, but surely, however, a bit slow because of all my travels. But I and Leonore learn together!
Chris O'Neill i stor intervju om livet med prinsessan Madeleine _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

On the cover of Expressen
http://x.cdn-expressen.se/images/c6/34/c6342c255c6946d0833720972030d338/502@70.jpg

Last edited:
Nice interview.

Chris has given a super long interview to Johan T Lindwall from Expressen:
Here are parts what he said, the rest can be read from the translation.

Earlier this year it became known that Chris, Madeleine and their two children after moving to Europe from New York will now settle in Britain.
- Yes, I've already moved. I moved in April and the rest of the family will come after to London. Getting to Sweden was only temporary. It was never intended to move to Sweden. The plan from the beginning was that we would stay in London, but then came the birth and we planned to be in Stockholm during the period.
Why don't you live in Sweden?
- We would definitely stay in Sweden if it had gone with my job, but I have a new job that requires I'm in London. Until now, I have had three to four flight per week in Europe, mostly to London. It doesn't work in the long run. At the end of New York time I commuted between London and New York. It wouldn't also worked in the long run. I had a while twelve days a month from New York to London. I and Madeleine have now taken the decision that we are going to stay in London so that I can do my work. I don't want to come home to a hotel room alone. I want to come home to my family and eat dinner together. Everything else is not important. It is I who am the breadwinner of the family. I must first and foremost think of our little family.
When Madeleine and the children are moving?
- It will not be for a few weeks, but not longer than a few months, it will be in early autumn.
Where do you live?
- We have a home that we hold on and complete.
Is it the same house as your mother Eva O'Neill bought and renovated?
- No. I know that that has been written, but it's not the house. Where we'll stay is a completely different place.
How long will you stay in London?
- It will be at least a few years. Of course I want that Madeleine and my children will be in Sweden as much as possible. We will spend a lot of time in Sweden and Madeleine will be in Sweden on official business. It will be a good solution for everyone involved.
What is your new job?
- Between I was 22 to 38 years, I sat over 12 hours a day in front of four computer screens, and made business analyzes. It lasted for 16 years and is hard job. What I do now is a new company with a number of partners where we make different business solutions for major corporations in Europe. The company is named Wilton Payments and in brief, we arrange different payment solutions for a number of large companies.
Chris has since July 2013 been "Director" at Wilton Payments Limited, registered in the United Kingdom. His brother in law John D'Abo is the owner and the only shareholder.
- I have ownership interests in several companies, something that is perfectly normal for an investor. Princess Madeleine has no ownership interest or position in any company that pays a dividend or are active in Europe. I have already explained the companies where she has a passive role.
Chris O'Neill has been away from several major royal ceremonies, including the king's birthday and National Day celebration:
- It may be hard to understand, but I will not be able to participate in all major official things. I work hard and it can be that with a major customer, a specific date may collide with an official royal occasion. What should I do? These customers do not have foresight in one month, it may be that I may be grateful that I get a small gap in their schedule.
Why you are seen by some as 'bad boy'?
- I don't know. They don't know me. They have no idea who I am. However, I can regret that I have been so private from the beginning. I should have been more open, but at the same time I don't have the same official role as Madeleine. It is not my role to explain myself. It's like in the rest of life, a lot of plus and minus sides. However, I must get used to being a public figure.
Have you started looking at the christening of little Nicolas?
- Yes, there are several dates we're looking at. It is not only we who decide because there are so many people involved in the baptism and the dates must be in order that everyone can be with.
Where will it be? Sweden or the UK?
- Definitely Sweden. It will not be on Öland, but in Stockholm and Drottningholm Palace chapel where we christened Leonore. It leans to Drottningholm. It will be similar to Leonore's.
Will Madeleine and the children live in Sweden until the baptism?
- No, then they have definitely moved to England. Now we are all together on Öland for the summer. I will soon return to London to work, but first we have to go to Stockholm and then I go on to England.
Chris O'Neill says that they spend in Solliden time daily with the other members of the royal family.
How do you call the king?
- I say the King, His Majesty or Sir. Never Carl Gustaf. Madeleine's parents are the most generous people there are. Lovely, who have released me into the family in a fantastic way. I am extremely grateful that I got to meet them.
Finally, the big question. How's swedish?
- Slowly, but surely, however, a bit slow because of all my travels. But I and Leonore learn together!
Chris O'Neill i stor intervju om livet med prinsessan Madeleine _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

On the cover of Expressen
http://x.cdn-expressen.se/images/c6/34/c6342c255c6946d0833720972030d338/502@70.jpg
What a very nice and clear interview. I hope this will still some of the speculations.

The interview is nice. But if he is willing to give such a big interview, photos taken of him when the interview was done would have made it much more personal and warm. Lindwall's brother photographer Sven Lindwall is also in Öland and took the photos from Roxette concert and the royals cycling.

The interview is nice. But if he is willing to give such a big interview, photos taken of him when the interview was done would have made it much more personal and warm. Lindwall's brother photographer Sven Lindwall is also in Öland and took the photos from Roxette concert and the royals cycling.
I can see how he wouldn't be very comfortable with that though... I think it's nice enough with the interview :) Give us a finger and we want the whole hand, or what is the saying?

This confirms his attitude as I suspect it.

He is his own man, but respects his wife's position and her responsibilities in Switzerland and will do his best to support her.

He never intended to live in Sweden.

He is a little troubled by the adverse publicity but doesn't really care about tabloid opinion.

There is NO issue with the SRF.

He is a very decent guy.

Thank you, LadyFinn :flowers:

The essential reason why they don't settle in Sweden makes perfect sense from a family perspective as summarized here: Prinsesse Madeleines mand taler ud: Derfor kan vi ikke bo i Sverige alligevel - Royale | www.bt.dk

I like that he has realized that he is a public figure whether he likes it or not and that he in hindsight should have been less reserved in regards to the press. That indicates a man who has and can learn and that is never a bad thing.
I think this interview will (deservedly) improve certainly Chris' reputation among the Swedes.

The essential reason why they don't settle in Sweden makes perfect sense from a family perspective as summarized here: Prinsesse Madeleines mand taler ud: Derfor kan vi ikke bo i Sverige alligevel - Royale | www.bt.dk

I like that he has realized that he is a public figure whether he likes it or not and that he in hindsight should have been less reserved in regards to the press. That indicates a man who has and can learn and that is never a bad thing.
I think this interview will (deservedly) improve certainly Chris' reputation among the Swedes.
I agree. It shows great character to point on prior "mistaakes" and learn from them.

It makes perfect sense from Christopher O'Neill's perspective and to suit his own personal and professional interests. It doesn't make any sense from the perspective of Madeleine and her children, who, as princes of Sweden, should stay in the country as required BTW by law.

In fact, I find it curious that Chris thinks that commuting frequently between London and Sweden "wouldn't work for him", but he has no problem with his wife's having to do it frequently to do "her job", even though she has two little children to look after. I also found his line about being the "breadwinner" extremely sexist and old-fashioned. Unsurprisingly we also found out from the interview that leaning Swedish continues to rank pretty low on Mr. O'Neill's list of priorities.

Judging from the reactions on this forum, it might. I'm not Swedish and it's none of my business, but, to me, that interview doesn't change anything. It just confirms the profile and opinions I expected from Chris. I am also disappointed the interviewer didn't press him further on the issue of moving out of Sweden to avoid tax disclosure.

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense from Christopher O'Neill's perspective and to suit his own personal and professional interests. It doesn't make any sense from the perspective of Madeleine and her children, who, as princes of Sweden, should stay in the country as required BTW by law.

In fact, I find it curious that Chris thinks that commuting frequently between London and Sweden "wouldn't work for him", but he has no problem with his wife's having to do it frequently to do "her job", even though she has two little children to look after. I also found his line about being the "breadwinner" extremely sexist and old-fashioned. Unsurprisingly we also found out from the interview that leaning Swedish continues to rank pretty low on Mr. O'Neill's list of priorities.

Judging from the reactions on this forum, it might. I'm not Swedish and it's none of my business, but, to me, that interview doesn't change anything. It just confirms the profile and opinions I expected from Chris. I am also disappointed the interviewer didn't press him further on the issue of moving out of Sweden to avoid tax disclosure.

That's probably because he is conservative.
And that does not surprise me at all!
He is the type of man who comes home from work. Kiss his wife who is waiting for him with the dinner. Then he'll play a little with the children before putting on his slippers and evening jacket.
All he needs is a pipe, a newspaper and the wireless next to the armchair he is sitting in. He would fit in perfectly in a middle class home anno 1955.

I think the role as a husband to a royal would not suit him well. In that respect he would find a kindred spirit in Prince Henrik in DK! :p And to some extent perhaps in the Duke of Edinburgh.
While Daniel is well suited to the more egalitarian role he has.

I will also, like you it seems, maintain that Chris O'Neil would find Sweden a trifle too socialist for his taste, not least tax-wise.

But at least he has explained the reasons behind what is being done, whether one agrees with them or not. He is simply arch-conservative.

In the eyes of Chris O'Neil, he is the breadwinner, when he gets a new job, the family moves along and that's it! Madeleine may be a princess, but in his eyes, she is first and foremost Mrs. O'Neil and mother to his children. Whether that has really dawned on her yet remains to be seen.

Very nice interview. As to those questioning things, I would imagine all this came up before they got married. It's evident that Maddie is agreeable to how things are.

He is the breadwinner, has nothing to do with being 1950's. Unless you are trying to say that Maddie could support the family on whatever stipend she gets for her appearances and that she is being prevented from doing so.

Some women like it that they don't have to support the family, they like staying home and being the primary caregiver, they like being in those roles. So everyone stop assuming that he's some sort of sexist pig that is forcing his poor downtrodden wife to make all the sacrifices. Looks to me like it's a joint decision. He didn't just go rogue and do an interview without telling anyone what was going to be said.

LaRae

:previous: Easy now. Who claimed Chris is a sexist pig?

I believe he is very conservative and that he identify himself as and feel comfortable in the traditional male role as the family breadwinner.
I do not believe he would feel comfortable in the role as supporting husband to a royal.

That's how he is. Whether that is good or bad in relation to his marriage is not up to any of us, that's up to Madeleine.

The interview has provided a deeper look into the character and mindset of Chris O'Neil and it has provided an explanation for why they don't settle in Sweden.
Chris does not fit into the politically correct Swedish "feminist husband" but at least he is not a hypocrite and that is good thing.

Having said that, being married to a conservative husband, that's Madeleine's headache. What is interesting to me is what role, if any at all, Chris will have in regards to the SRF.

That's the tone that's coming across and the words 'sexist' were used...because Chris is not a feminist husband this somehow equates to that it is wrong or that there's a problem with him for not being one.

Just like you say being married to a conservative husband is Maddie's headache...she wouldn't of married him if she thought that was going to be a headache.

Enough with the name calling because 'you' (meaning anyone here) don't agree with how a person choses to believe or live.

Looks to me like his role, as has been pointed out all along, is going to be limited to times where he can get away from his job other than family events that he really can't miss (like the baptism etc).

LaRae

What is interesting to me is what role, if any at all, Chris will have in regards to the SRF.

IMO, in the SRF, Chris' role will be a minor, supporting one. Frankly, to me, Maddie herself has a minor supporting role. V&D will increasingly take the spotlight, and will be supported by C-P & S.

That's how he is. Whether that is good or bad in relation to his marriage is not up to any of us, that's up to Madeleine.

The interview has provided a deeper look into the character and mindset of Chris O'Neil and it has provided an explanation for why they don't settle in Sweden.
Chris does not fit into the politically correct Swedish "feminist husband" but at least he is not a hypocrite and that is good thing.

I am sure all of these matters were agreed before the wedding. Chris has a career that requires him to be in the US or in London. Maddie has an increasingly minor role to play in Sweden, and she can commute 4-5 times a year and carry out a few engagements supporting her charities and at key family events. I don't think there is anything particularly conservative about it. If Maddie was the Crown Princess, it would have been different. Actually, if maddie had ever been a particularly hard working royal, things could have been different. This is what she chose. Lets not judge Chris for this.

In Scandinavian context and in particular Swedish context, a husband defining himself as "the breadwinner of the family" is considered a conservative statement and something very few Swedish husbands would dream about saying out loud.
In Sweden it is very common for men to define themselves as feminists.

In that light while some, in Sweden in particular, might fume at what Chris said, I personally can't help chuckle because I find it delightfully politically incorrect. :p - And honest.

This has got nothing to do with Chris being "a sexist pig" or name calling or conservative being a bad thing. It's merely how I look at and interprete what he said based on my cultural background.
- And surely I know better what I mean when I write something, eh? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom