The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:26 AM
Majesty

I took it to mean he would rather go home at night to a real family at the dinner table....not a lonely hotel room service meal.

I am not sure how anyone could get "lord of the manor to wifey" vibes from something expressed so clearly.

And I don't know anyone who loves his/her family that could fault Chris for wanting that.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-23-2015, 03:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Chris O'Neill_ „Ich bringe das Essen auf den Tisch_ _ BUNTE.de
chris o'neill_ - Det er jeg som forsørger familien - Se og hør

Old 07-23-2015, 05:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
So I take it that all children are in full time childcare then.
Yes, usually from the time they are around 1,5-2 years old. There is a generous parental leave here that allows parents 480 days paid time off work when a child is born. That would include Madeleine, since she's swedish.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:20 AM
Courtier

And so it begins. This is taken from a major paper in southern Sweden. It's ironic, but it's triggered by Chris' remarks in the interview, as I suspected...

Rough translation:

"A princess of Sweden must be able to live and work in our nation without starving between banquets".

Karl Oskar left Sweden to find a living for his wife and children overseas. (Refers to the US-emigrants in the late 1800's, my remark). Now history repeats itself. Chris O'Neill moves his family to London, where financial soil is more profitable than the poor and unfriendly moors in Sweden. O'Neill has in an interview with Expressen explained that he sees no other way out. The family needs to be supported. As a father and husband he is forced to shoulder the heavy responsibility. "I'm the one who puts the food on the family. I have to primarily think about our little family" (Expressen 21.7).

So it's that bad. It's was all about the basics. The food! In the royal house, someone risks going hungry away from the dinner table. You can imagine the Oliver Twist-like scenes at the castle: "Please, sir, I want some more!"

It simply can't go on like this. The king, the head of the royal house, get an apanage of somewhere between125 and 130 million SKE every year. And the word apanage is derived from the ancient latins "apanare", which means "provide with bread". But apparently the isn't much left over for princess Madeleine, who's private fortune apparently doesn't give them money enough to cover the essentials.

I therefore suggest a national campaign in favor of the distressed family O'Neill-Bernadotte. A princess of Sweden must be able to live and work in the kingdom without starving between banquets.

”En prinsessa av Sverige måste kunna leva och verka i riket utan att behöva svälta mellan banketterna” - Sydsvenskan
Old 07-23-2015, 05:26 AM
Aristocracy

I actually find that article very funny ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-23-2015, 05:28 AM
Majesty

Thanks for the translation, Xenobia

I see from the comments though that few thought this piece of satire was funny.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissRoyal View Post
I actually find that article very funny ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Me too. If you give interviews like this you'll have to take this in your stride
Old 07-23-2015, 05:52 AM
Courtier

Glad I could translate so that the irony didn't get lost in translation :)

Yes, a funny article, and it also shows that the "breadwinning" part of the article is what people catch on to, since it's a strange way to express yourself/live your life in Sweden.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Pardon my ignorance on the subject but does Madeleine have a personal fortune? Does she have money in her own right or is she only rich on handouts from her father?

I took the article to mean that Chris is the only one in the couple working and so the family moves with him to wherever he works.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
Pardon my ignorance on the subject but does Madeleine have a personal fortune? Does she have money in her own right or is she only rich on handouts from her father?

I took the article to mean that Chris is the only one in the couple working and so the family moves with him to wherever he works.
I have today earlier posted to this thread that princess Madeleine has inherited totally 15 million SEK from prince Bertil and princess Lilian. And xenobia has told at her posts about Madeleine's fortune.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:03 AM
Heir Apparent

What difference does it make if Maddie inherited a fortune? It's not Chris's money. I would imagine it's being invested/saved for their children.

LaRae
Old 07-23-2015, 07:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
i

My opinion is that the King insisted that the babies be HRH, and that Madde really wanted out. Chris is the fall guy. He loves her and is trying to make it all work, imo.
Leonore will probably teach him Swedish!
As far as I can recall, Madeleine never said or hinted that she "wanted out". On the contrary, my impression is that she was more than happy to be back to her "normal life" in Sweden after her "exile" in New York.

On Chris "trying to make it all work", I guess he could have said in his interview that leaving New York and moving to London was a compromise on his part so that he could carry on with his work and, at the same time, Madeleine could be closer to Sweden and her occasional royal duties. Readers would probably have bought that version of the story, as it makes sense. The problem is, however, that Chris actually didn't say that. On the contrary, he said in the interview that New York wasn't working for him either as he frequently had to travel to London, and that is why he decided to move.

As I see it, Chris' point of view is very clear. He sees himself as the "breadwinner" and the head of the family, and the entire family has to adapt to suit his needs with no room for compromise, even when his wife is a princess of Sweden, who is not only wealthy in her own right (and hence is not starving for bread ), but also has obligations of her own to the Swedish Crown and the Swedish people.

Being pregnant gave Madeleine a perfect excuse to stay in Sweden over the spring and summer, but now that is over and Chris made it clear that the family won't even wait for Nicolas' christening to move out. The problem remains, however, that Swedish law requires that Leonore and Nicolas live permanently in Sweden by the time they are of school age (or, at least, that is the Court's interpretation of the text of the law). Based on what we know and have heard from Chris over the past years, he is unlikely to compromise and, at that point, Madeleine will have to go with "out" (i.e. her children losing membership of the Royal House and succession rights), or else she and Chris will have to split. Sorry if I may sound too blunt, but that is realistically how I see it.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow what a lot of red ink over an "emotionally loaded" loaded term like breadwinner. He is trying hard to support his family and I took it to underline he is not sponging off the taxpayers. If the extent of madde fortune is fifteen million sek, which is about one and 3/4 million US dollars, that is a nice nest egg but does not make her fabulously wealthy if she had to live off that alone with the very low rates of return.
As marg asked, what do the other women in her rarified circle do? The aristocratic women of Sweden? By any definition, she is not a typical swedish woman, she is a royal princess
Old 07-23-2015, 08:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Wow what a lot of red ink over an "emotionally loaded" loaded term like breadwinner. He is trying hard to support his family and I took it to underline he is not sponging off the taxpayers. If the extent of madde fortune is fifteen million sek, which is about one and 3/4 million US dollars, that is a nice nest egg but does not make her fabulously wealthy if she had to live off that alone with the very low rates of return.
As marg asked, what do the other women in her rarified circle do? The aristocratic women of Sweden? By any definition, she is not a typical swedish woman, she is a royal princess
As Xenobia said, her prenup agreement put her net worth at about 3.5 million dollars and, as I mentioned, CelebrityNetworth.com puts it at 10 million. The truth is that we don't really know her true income or net worth, but, in any case, as that ironic article on the Swedish press put it clearly, it is ludicrous to assume that a princess of Sweden needs a husband to put bread on the table.

I admit that Chris meant it well and probably didn't anticipate the negative reaction that his poor choice of words would attract. The fact remains, however, that his words reveal his own view of marriage as an unequal partnership where the husband provides for the family and the family conforms to the husband's will and needs.

Chris is not the first person to marry into a royal family and not take up a title or official duties. That in itself would be perfectly fine. He is, however, the first person I can recall who married a king's daughter expecting her to give up her royal life or her future children's succession rights. To be fair, judging from the interview, Chris seems to have realized that was an unrealistic expectation on his part and that he will have to live with Madeleine's retaining some kind of residual official status, even if he would simply prefer her to be at home in the evening when he comes back from work.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

This is my question. Does Sweden have 'Sloane Rangers'?
Old 07-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
This is my question. Does Sweden have 'Sloane Rangers'?
I had to google that. If I understand the phrase, it refers to upper class women who spend their time taking care of their kids and doing charity work. My answer would be that there might be one or two, but most upper class women work. Some in high paid lines of work (like lawyers or researchers), others with more upper class culture jobs (like art galleries or opera/theater). But yes, almost all women work even after they marry and have kids. Even upper class women.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

"Open Letter to Chris O'Neill"

With all due respect, Mr. O'Neill, I and my girlfriends, present women in Sweden 12-84 years thank for the frank interview in which you convey your dedication and your love as father and husband of Princess Madeleine. But that is something that chafes. "I am providing for my family, it's me that puts food on the table!" Are the words that I and my friends wish had never been said...
The whole letter
Öppet brev till Chris O'Neill - News55
Translation

At the article is a poll. At the moment 84 % of the readers think Chris's words are out of date.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Why am I not surprised....see this is the problem. Chris is not allowed to have his views, someone feels the need to publically chastise him for daring to not appear to be on board with their views.

Further does the woman even think how she must appear to women who happen to agree with Chris's views? How her words may hurt them? Physician heal thyself.

LaRae
Old 07-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Majesty

Thanks, LadyFinn.

And here the good Chris is being compared to a caveman by a PR expert.
PR-experten: O'Neill framstår som en grottman - News55

I'll spare you the translation but talk about a cultural clash here!
Interesting actually.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Well, there aren't many of those in Sweden (almost none), so heaven won't be too busy helping them

I suspect that this won't go away as easily as the court would like. I don't know if the PR-department is doing a lousy job again, or if Chris is totally unaware of how the swedish society works.

In any case, several of us saw this coming as soon as we read the interview, so you can't say you haven't been warned.
My mother was home for a while with me (until 4 maybe) and met no problem. And there are a few bloggers as well that are "housewifes" and as any blogger recives critique for their choices but no more than other bloggers about their choices. We are not saying it's forbidden or very much frowned upond (sometimes curously questioned such as "are you not afraid of having a lower pension when old" "What happens if you divorce") just that it's just more "normal" to work. It's nothing you think about because that's how your mother did and she was amazing. We also have much longer maternity+paternity leave than many countries so it's not like mothers leave them when they're 2 months old.

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, prince nicolas, prince nicolas of sweden, princess leonore, princess madeleine