Princess Madeleine & Jonas Bergström Break Off Their Engagement: April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am wondering, what will she do with the engagement ring? She surely wouldn't dare wear it anymore, so will it be disposed of? Or will it be kept or put in a museum or something?

I am wondering, what will she do with the engagement ring? She surely wouldn't dare wear it anymore, so will it be disposed of? Or will it be kept or put in a museum or something?
I would think she would just return it to Jonas. It's of no use to her.

If the woman breaks off the engagement, she must return the ring. If the man breaks off the engagement, she can keep the ring. If it's a mutual dissolution of the relationship, I believe the ring can go with either party.

I don't know how many times I've read actual news articles of men taking women to court to either get the ring back or the value of the ring back (monetarily) because they broke off the engagement/ended the relationship and then refused to return it. It's considered poor manners to keep an engagement ring when you're the reason the engagement was called off. It doesn't matter if the guy caused the girl to break off the engagement -- she still has to return it.

I would hope Madeleine won't be tacky and she'll return it.

What else shall she do with it -- other than giving it back? She has enough access to (much more wealthy) jewels. And the look on the ring may create nothing but pain to her (at least at this moment).

This whole issue is deeply embarrassing for the SRF. Not sure why it had to come this far.

Once a cheat, always a cheat. Its better to break off an engagement than being trapped in an unhappy royal marriage - or a royal divorce, much worse.

Not sure I feel sorry for Madeleine, she knew him for many years and if I recall correctly, he once dumped his girlfriend for her, what does say something about his character.

Jonas is the type of guy, good looking lawyer with lots of hair gel, who thinks he can have it all. Very bold to go ahead with THE question despite playing on several ends of the field. Madeleine suited him quite well in the show-off sense, always tanned and dressed in Barbie style. She probably just wanted that ring on her finger, annoyed by the waiting game played by her sister.

Now its a wake up call after having wasted some good years on him. Good luck in finding somebody who may not look as good but is honest with her.

ruthieviews

First of all, I don't think Madeleine would want to keep the ring. I wouldn't. Second, I think she is so angry about being misled by Jonas that there is no chance she will keep the ring or go back with him. He has obviously been partying without her for some time. When she heard gossip about the Norwegian girl, he worked very hard to convince her it was not an affair but just gossip. When things cooled down a bit, he made an end run around her and requested permission from the King to marry her. I'm sure the unsuspecting king was joyful that his "fair haired boy" was going to marry his sweet Madeleine. Jonas took her to Capri and asked her to marry him by assuring her that the King had given his approval. With a big sigh, he must have congratulated himself in saving his place on the red carpet. Of course, the Norwegian girl read this and thought she would out this hypocrit. Her many news interviews and pictures sealed his fate. Madeleine must have had a flash of reality. Instead of looking sad and forlorn, she looked determined and very angry. I am sure that after she laid out the entire plot to her friends and family, Jonas was thoroughly unmasked as a cad. His scheming to cover up by insuring an engagement before she could catch on was a clear picture of his lack of character and crass qualities. She is lucky she discovered this now and saved herself from an very unfortunate marriage. I understand that she discussed this entire matter with her mother and with her parents encouragement, the engagement was disolved immediately. I admire her courage, her intelligence in discovering the plot to rope her into a sham marriage, and her calm and regal response as she left for the U.S.
I wish her joy and a pleasant life. She is sure to meet someone worthy of her in the days ahead.

I see people referring to a talk between Madeleine and her mother, but her mother said "unfortunately" there won't be a wedding. Now if your daughter was cheated on and you were against it, then they would see no wedding happening as a fortunate thing and would not see it as an unfortunate event. Not a women think one affair is reason enough (sadly) to break things off, so we don't know what her mother told her if the did indeed had a "long talk".

My heart goes out to Madeleine! To find out the man she's about to marry isn't who or what she thought he was must be devastating. And if it were me there would always be a nagging thought, wondering if he really loved me for me or wanted me for my position. It might even make me jaded in future relationships. I hope it's not the same for Madeleine.
Her engagement ring was so lovely! I could understand is she didn't want to keep it because it's a reminder of him. On the other hand, if she gave it back to him, he might sell it to the highest bidder as a souvenir item. That would be reason enough to keep it! How long before he sells his story or writes a book? His character is forever damaged by his cheating.

Technically, and in a traditional sense, an engagement ring is given to a lady as a promise in contemplation of marriage rather than a straightforward gift. If the gentleman in question brakes off the engagement, he should not expect the return of ring (unless of course the lady has seen fit to throw it and other things at him!) or it's monetary value. If the lady breaks off the engagement, then it would be seemly to hand the ring back to him. I suspect Madeleine has either already given the ring back or taken it off and put it away.

It's always sad when a couple break up and I'm sure Madeleine will bounce back in time.

What the heck was Jonas thinking in having these alleged affairs!!!!! He should do himself a favour and leave Sweden because he will always be remembered for the dipstick who broke their Princess' heart. Stupid chap. Just as well the Norwegian girl came out with the story so the relationship could end now instead of a couple of years of they decided to get married. Best of luck to Madeleine and to Jonas .....everything that gets thrown at you in the next few months, you probably deserve it.

I see people referring to a talk between Madeleine and her mother, but her mother said "unfortunately" there won't be a wedding. Now if your daughter was cheated on and you were against it, then they would see no wedding happening as a fortunate thing and would not see it as an unfortunate event. Not a women think one affair is reason enough (sadly) to break things off, so we don't know what her mother told her if the did indeed had a "long talk".

Indeed. The story on the talk(s) is btw only based on a post from an other board.

One thing we shouldn´t forget is, that Royal families are very good in image-making.
And there is still the rumour with the Icehockey player.
In the end both may have cheated, decided to go mature and clean up by getting engaged and failed. Not the likliest possibility, but a possibility

If the woman breaks off the engagement, she must return the ring. If the man breaks off the engagement, she can keep the ring. If it's a mutual dissolution of the relationship, I believe the ring can go with either party.

Despite of everything, i'm sure the pair had some good times. I understand that Madeleine is supposed to return it, but I don't see why she can't keep it as a memory of the relationship. Yes she's hurting tremendously at the moment and she wants to throw it out the window or break it. It's a beautiful ring, and i wouldn't give it up, just to give back to my cheating spouse. It was a gift to me, so i'd keep it. :D

Technically, and in a traditional sense, an engagement ring is given to a lady as a promise in contemplation of marriage rather than a straightforward gift. If the gentleman in question brakes off the engagement, he should not expect the return of ring. If the lady breaks off the engagement, then it would be seemly to hand the ring back to him. I suspect Madeleine has either already given the ring back or taken it off and put it away.
This is something that we will probably never know unless Jonas sells or has the ring reset to give to another. He will always be forever mentioned somehow, for the rest of his life, with articles beginning; "Jonas Bergstrom former fiance' of Sweden's Princess Madeleine..................." So, in his viewpoint, he will be forever news worthy. Someone as self centered as he will enjoy. Madeleine had a lucky escape. She is too young and protected to realize that you will NEVER change someone through marriage, especially a cheat. Thank goodness she is still so young [and quite beautiful] and there are many really good men out there for her to meet.

There is only one thing to do with the ring and that is to return it. It does not matter how and/or why or by whom the engagement was broken. Honor and integrity simply rules in these cases. To keep it is an absolutely classless act.

Despite of everything, i'm sure the pair had some good times. I understand that Madeleine is supposed to return it, but I don't see why she can't keep it as a memory of the relationship. Yes she's hurting tremendously at the moment and she wants to throw it out the window or break it. It's a beautiful ring, and i wouldn't give it up, just to give back to my cheating spouse. It was a gift to me, so i'd keep it. :D

An engagement ring isn't a gift, though.....not in a legal sense. It's a promise of marriage and if the marriage doesn't happen, the ring must be returned. So if you kept the ring and your former fiance took you to court to retrieve the ring or the monetary value of the ring, you'd lose.

She's no longer engaged to him, she's no longer even dating him. She has to give the ring back, she has no use for it. It's a promise of a marriage that is never going to happen. Keeping it is tacky.

Jonas is seeking a new apartment from Östermalm. He has taken a few days off from work and is living at the home of one of his friends.
Will Jonas come to the wedding of Victoria and Daniel?
- I have no answers, said palace spokeswoman Nina Eldh with dejected voice.
Jonas Bergström letar lägenhet på Östermalm efter brytningen med prinsessan Madeleine | Bröllopet | Aftonbladet

I cant imagine he would go now. Even though he is a good friend of Daniel's, it would be too much of a distraction, the King and Queen wouldnt allow it I dont think.

I cant imagine he would go now. Even though he is a good friend of Daniel's, it would be too much of a distraction, the King and Queen wouldnt allow it I dont think.

I would be surprised if he was ever seen again at a royal event or at an event that the Swedish royals attend.

I do think he will face some pretty strong public condemnation for some time to come.

In regards to Queen Silvia's statement and the PR actions of the Swedish Court, I am going to chalk this up to unchartered territory...when was the last time a Swedish royal engagement happened (I am thinking the late Queen Ingrid of Denmark )...and they simply didn't know what do. Plus, the press is vicious when smelling blood in the water in regards to a story.

Actually, I think the SRF handled it very well from a PR perspective. Whether Jonas cheated on her or not, the SRF's best way to preserve Madeleine's (and the family's) image is to throw Jonas under the bus. Deservedly or not, he's the villain in all this. That's a good outcome for the royals.

In fact, everything that came out all week has supported the "It's all Jonas's fault" theme: the queen was sad the wedding wouldn't happen this year, the king was mad at Jonas and met with him, the Other Woman suddenly appeared, and Madeleine is getting whisked off to America.

All that may seem like the royal family was confused or caught by surprise, but more important, it makes the king, the queen, and the princess look blameless. That's good PR for a bad situation.

It could be that this all unfolded this way by chance, but I'm skeptical. I think *someone* was leaking it all out on a very specific timeline to ensure that the SRF came out OK. That's really good PR.

I applaud Madeline's decision to end it now, and get it over with. This would be hard for anyone, especially when you consider the media and the world coverage....I'm sure she is angry and hurt, but think how terrible to go thru with the marriage and watch it fall apart.
I think Daniel and CarlPhilip will miss Jonas the most...the three of them were very friendly...and Jonas is now the odd man out......................he really did miscalculate if he thought all would be forgiven so as not to cause a scandal.................
I think he really was looking forward to being a Prince/Count and just loved all the bling that came with Madeline

A Swedish royal wedding has been called off after a Bournemouth student claimed she had a fling with a princess's fiance.

I didn't know she was being educated in England. :ermm:

'I had an affair with Madeleine’s fiancé,' Miss Uppstrom Berg told Norwegian gossip magazine Se Og Hor.
'We were intimate. He followed me home in a taxi at four o’clock in the morning.'
She claims not to have known who her lover was.

Those two things contradict themselves, she claims she had an affair with Jonas, then says she didn't know who he was. :ermm:

The encounter happened at a swedish nightclub, and he followed her home whilst she was on a ski trip.

Miss Berg said yesterday she regretted going public about the fling.

Yeah right, i'm sure she has a made a mint from this. The article also says that it may cast a shadow over the June Wedding. :ermm:

An engagement ring isn't a gift, though.....not in a legal sense. It's a promise of marriage and if the marriage doesn't happen, the ring must be returned. So if you kept the ring and your former fiance took you to court to retrieve the ring or the monetary value of the ring, you'd lose.

She's no longer engaged to him, she's no longer even dating him. She has to give the ring back, she has no use for it. It's a promise of a marriage that is never going to happen. Keeping it is tacky.

Thats your opinion, Jonas taking Madeleine to court, ha don't make me laugh.
1. Taking a royal to court, not going to happen.
2. After what he's done, if Madeleine wants to keep the ring, he should let her. Sell it, and buy a bag.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/201004263368/princess-madeleine/jonas-bergstrom/split-affair/1/

Hello Article.

Well, pity but maybe that's better.
I hope that Madeleine will find a new love someday and will be happy.

Thats your opinion, Jonas taking Madeleine to court, ha don't make me laugh.
1. Taking a royal to court, not going to happen.
2. After what he's done, if Madeleine wants to keep the ring, he should let her. Sell it, and buy a bag.

One, I didn't say Jonas was going to take Madeleine to court. I said he had the right to, not that he was actually planning on doing it. I'd hope she'd have the class not to keep it and has already returned it. Two, it's not my opinion....it's how the law works. An engagement is a contract. The ring is a promise that the contract will be seen through. If the woman breaks the engagement (contract), she has to make the other party whole by returning the ring. If the man breaks the engagement, then he has to make the other party whole by letting her keep the ring. I'm not pulling this stuff out of my butt or thin air. Three, I'm not trying to make you laugh or tell jokes.

It doesn't matter legally what Jonas did to cause the engagement to be terminated. If she broke off the engagement, she has to return the ring. She has no use for it and she doesn't need the money that could come from selling it. Keeping it makes her look vengeful, spiteful and classless, regardless of whatever it was Jonas did to her. She should come out looking better than him, not worse.

One, I didn't say Jonas was going to take Madeleine to court. I said he had the right to, not that he was actually planning on doing it.

It doesn't matter legally what Jonas did to cause the engagement to be terminated. If she broke off the engagement, she has to return the ring. She has no use for it and she doesn't need the money that could come from selling it. Keeping it makes her look vengeful, spiteful and classless, regardless of whatever it was Jonas did to her. She should come out looking better than him, not worse.
I was just told by an attorney that is only an American "law/tradition" and not world wide. Could someone from Sweden [or any other country] tell us if true in your county. If it is not an actual law [even just case law] it is just common sense to return an unwanted ring that means nothing anymore. I have never heard of someone not returning the symbol of trust, loyality and committment, which is actually the old reason for giving. That being said, I am sure she would have taken GREAT delight in returning it to his own hand.

I don’t think Jonas will go to Victoria and Daniel’s wedding. In Britain where I live if a person gives someone a present (including money) then it legally becomes their property and has no legal obligation to return that present to the person who gave that present to them. If Madeleine had been in Britain she would be under no legal obligation to return the engagement ring to Jonas because the ring is legally her property.

There is only one thing to do with the ring and that is to return it. It does not matter how and/or why or by whom the engagement was broken. Honor and integrity simply rules in these cases. To keep it is an absolutely classless act.

Oh, agreed on that point. A lady always offers the return of the ring. A gentleman has the choice to either accept it back, or to insist that the lady keep it in friendship.

In the instance of one of my friends, both she and her fiance were very well situated (his family in the manufacture of auto parts, and hers in horsebreeding.) They agreed to donate the ring to a charity auction for a cause that they both held dear.

As a poster on a French board put it - and this applied to two situations that were being discussed - "You see the quality of the people involved and the value of their feelings, by their actions in response to events." But of course, having been written originally in French, it sounded much better. :D

Classless/legal or not, I wonder why someone would even want to keep it.
Why hold on to something that is linked with such bad memories?!? :ermm:

I don´t think that Princess Madeleine will kep a ring she recivede from a man who have been cheating on her.. And why shout she ?
She´s abel to wear jewels with a mutch more class and style than a simpel ring from a man who did not love her at all..

Back
Top Bottom