Princess Madeleine & Jonas Bergström Break Off Their Engagement: April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This story tells very well that you never know about someone. I recognize the comments for the two engagements last year and everyone favored Jonas as a fiancee for a princess than Daniel. And now we see that the so very well educated and sophisticated young guy has done the worst thing he could ever do and the less educated and comming from the little town Ocklebro Daniel is doing a much better job.
Fathers money and high education doesn't help tho get a character.

Good and sad news but in six weeks everything would be clear for Crown- Princess Victoria's wedding and I hope the King of Sweden will smile again on that day!

Well we don't have official proof that he cheated, that's why I asked if there was proof.

I would agree that all that glitters isn't gold.

Very sad, but that's what long engagements are for. Much better to find out now that they're incompatible.

I don't condone Jonas cheating on Madeleine -- if that happened in this case -- but I'm sure that princesses aren't the easiest people in the world to live with, either. Aside from the media pressure, I would imagine that anyone who has grown up with such an entitlement would be difficult to deal with from time to time.

Takes two to make (or break) a relationship.

This is sad.

However, when there were reports that Jonas proposed to Madeleine in order to save his relationship, I immediately thought that was foolish, if true. If that's the case, then both need to realize what it really takes to save a relationship, not plan to get married. As I said once before, that is like a woman getting pregnant to save her marriage.

I agree with Kalnel. I have read the comments on the tabloid reports, and some people were saying Madeleine could be a brat. I don't mean to bash her, but it does take two to tango.

How awful that it has come to this, i did say that if it happened they wouldn't wait until after the wedding, just for appearances sake. Better now than a few years down the line with possible children.

Wow Im shocked! I literally gasped when I read this. Just like CP and Emma, I thought they'd be together forever, after all these years. So sad for Madelaine, especially if Jonas cheated on her. I think it was smart of them to announce it after she left for the U.S., so she can avoid the media glare in Sweden till this settles down a bit.

This story tells very well that you never know about someone. I recognize the comments for the two engagements last year and everyone favored Jonas as a fiancee for a princess than Daniel. And now we see that the so very well educated and sophisticated young guy has done the worst thing he could ever do and the less educated and comming from the little town Ocklebro Daniel is doing a much better job.

Very good post, IMO.

I hope all the best for Madeilene's future.

This is so disappointing. They looked like a lovely match! Well, all the best to Madeleine and I hope she finds her true love.

We haven't heard anything from the posters that advocated for Victoria marrying Jonas because he was such a prince material and Madeleine settling for Daniel.

I was one of the posters saying this and I have posted all over this thread, so you have heard from me :flowers:

I still believe that Jonas is better Prince material than Daniel. Jonas is well educated, sophisticated, smart- everything that you need in a Prince Consort and everything Daniel is NOT! Jonas's alleged behavior in no way makes Daniel more qualified for the job.

Jonas may have allegedly cheated but that he would not have been the first royal husband to do so and will hardly be the last. For all anyone knows Daniel is cheating left,right and center and Victoria just chooses to look the other way!

I feel for the Duchess if HRH was infact cheated on, knowing only to well, what that is like...

In saying that, they were together for what, 7 years before they were engaged? And now to not even be engaged for a year, he makes one tux debut and now it's off? That's really quite embarrassing.

i do have a question: if he cheated before the engagement, and the princess knew about it, and then he proposed to save the relationship and she accepted - why? and then why break the engagement now, after 9 months? did he cheat again? or did she find out now, and not before the engagement (as it is being said)?

I think that this was the right decision. And about the cheating of Jonas, he is a lawyer, he could have sued this Tora if it is a lie.
The announcement was made shortly after Madeleine´s plane had left from Arlanda airport.

Jenny Alexandersson from Aftonbladet is not surprised by the decision,
Jonas and Madeleine have had problems for years, this week's media coverage was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. This is primarily a private grief for the royal family. Now the family can concentrate to the Crown Princess's wedding in June. Alexandersson thinks also that Madeleine will not be sad for this too long.
”Sympatierna ligger hos Madeleine” | Nyheter | Aftonbladet
Johan T Lindwall from Expressen thinks that the break was Madeleine´s decision. He also says that Jonas was confronted by a Norwegian journalist on the night with Tora Uppström Berg just two weeks later than it happened last April. Jonas went to Madeleine and told what he was accused of. Jonas said that he might have met her but nothing more. Despite of this Madeleine and Jonas got engaged, but the incident of Åre has been there all the time. Madeleine confronted him again and again. She hasn´t really been able to forgive him. And then it became public. Lindwall is sure that their friends have known about it.
"Ett beslut från en person - och det är Madeleine" - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen

i do have a question: if he cheated before the engagement, and the princess knew about it, and then he proposed to save the relationship and she accepted - why? and then why break the engagement now, after 9 months? did he cheat again? or did she find out now, and not before the engagement (as it is being said)?

I heard somewhere that Madeline forgave him before accepting the proposal and agreed to work on the relationship.
It is said he has been cheating during their engagement and she has finally finished him.

It is much better to call off an engagement than to divorce later. I hope that Princess Madelaine will find her true soul-mate.

I think that they already had problems but that the publication of that article killed the relationship.

I still believe that Jonas is better Prince material than Daniel. Jonas is well educated, sophisticated, smart- everything that you need in a Prince Consort and everything Daniel is NOT! Jonas's alleged behavior in no way makes Daniel more qualified for the job.

And yet it makes Jonas appropriately qualified?...lol.

Jonas may have allegedly cheated but that he would not have been the first royal husband to do so and will hardly be the last.

With all due respect to you personally, that is a nonsensical response.

By your own admission, you suggest that a cheating man (if he is one) would make a worthy Prince Consort because he slicks his hair well and looks good in a suit. Also, to talk of Daniel in such a manner as to insist he is neither intelligent, nor suitable to fulfill the role of consort, is really quite poor when I fail to see what it is you have that suggests he is neither of those things. Credible sources which support the indictment would be of interest to many here, I'm sure...

For all anyone knows Daniel is cheating left,right and center and Victoria just chooses to look the other way!

You really think Victoria, in the position she is in, would willingly wish to marry a man she knew to be cheating on her? What kind of morals, or there lack of, judging by your post, do you think the King and Queen failed to instill in their children?

Victoria could well have been an unmarried head of state for as long as she chose to be, and I believe (from what I've seen of her, read about her or the way in which I've seen her converse in various interviews about various topics) that if she had to choose between an unfaithfull husband and being single, then she'd certainly choose being single. Any women with a brain would. Crown Princess or no Crown Princess. Queen or no Queen.

There are a few disturbing comments in this thread.

Whether or not Madeleine is a brat is utterly irrelevant when it comes to discussing infidelity. If Jonas was unhappy with her attitude, he should have confronted her about it and/or ended the relationship. I fail to see how having mistress(es) is in anyway a justifiable reaction.

I agree that since they were a couple, they both bear the responsibility of their failed relationship. However the responsibility of the cheating, if it indeed occurred, rest solely on the cheater.
Odd comment.
You make a point of saying appearance can be misleading so why do you assume Daniel has been as loyal and upstanding as he looks?
I agree with the posters saying Jonas' duplicity may make Daniel look good in comparison, but that doesn't make him anymore qualified/suitable.
You really think Victoria, in the position she is in, would willingly wish to marry a man she knew to be cheating on her? What kind of morals, or there lack of, judging by your post, do you think the King and Queen failed to instill in their children?
Again, odd comment.
According to reports, Madeleine was willing to marry Jonas even after learning of his infidelity, so that answers your question (or maybe you think Madeleine is brainless?).
Aslo, cheaters are good at lying, by definition, so they can go on living double lives for a long time before being found out.

These are very sad news but they've been waiting on the door ... so sad, madeleine and jonas seemed a truly happy couple, and it's also truth, everyone thought jonas better than daniel and ... So sad, I hope maddie can heal her wounds and go on in life.

It is sad; they were together for 8 years.

I commend the Royal Family in the their actions and decisions.

I feel so incredibly sorry for her and can imagine how she must feel now. What hell it must be for her now that the wedding preparations for her sister have reached the hot phase. In situations like this I don't envy people who live in the limelight. We should give her the time to regenerate and leave her alone.

really thanks for this valuable post:flowers: , I was thinking the same regarding Daniel and Jonas (preferring the 2nd as royal husband )

I was also quite shocked as I heard about the news. Well, on the surface they made without a doubt a wonderful couple... Whatever problems led to this break off it must have been insurmountable problems. And therefore it is really better that they decided not to marry... Madeleine is only 27 - IMO she still has quite a few years to find her real soulmate. :)

While I agree that it takes two to tango it only takes one person to cheat.You are never driven or forced to do it.It is of your own volition that you choose to cheat and usually because you don't have the balls to leave the relationship in the first place.This was Jonas's choice and his alone .As for Daniel I think that the primary qualification you need to be a Prince consort is to love your wife.Everything else is just a skill you can learn just as all the crown Princesses have shown, eg: Mathilde maxima and Mary have demonstrated.It is a difficult task to be a sovereign but to know that when you come home at the end of your day you are met by a spouse that loves and supports you that is the ultimate task of a spouse.

I agree with the posters saying Jonas' duplicity may make Daniel look good in comparison, but that doesn't make him anymore qualified/suitable.

And according to the poster who's post I replied to, they seem to think someone lacking a decent moral centre is better qualified because they are 'apparently', sophisticated and smart.

To make possible assumptions about Daniel, or his virtue as an honourable partner, is quite out of line. And should a consort not be consort first and foremost for their honourable commitment to their spouse? I believe so!

Again, According to reports, Madeleine was willing to marry Jonas even after learning of his infidelity, so that answers your question (or maybe you think Madeleine is brainless?).

Yes, in that instance it would have certainly been naive of her if she thought he'd either change or that she'd be able to move on from it, herself. Once doubt creeps it's way in to a relationship, it stays for a long time and in many circumstances, it often never leaves. Brainless? No. Idealistic? Yes.

Aslo, cheaters are good at lying, by definition, so they can go on living double lives for a long time before being found out.

That's very true. But every dog has their day.

i think its been in the pipeline for a long time (well, a couple of weeks), and they just chose not to announce it until she was out of the country. The palace probably announced that they were together and should be left alone because she wanted to leave first and not deal with the pressure and media. They probably just announced that to give her some respite, and then a few days later they announce that its over so she can have peace in usa.

Wow poor Madeleine! At least she knows now rather than later than when they're married with children.

Back
Top Bottom