Princess Madeleine & Jonas Bergström Break Off Their Engagement: April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's true, he is just plain stupid. He will get what he deserves I don't have a doubt about that.

Nothing has been decided at all yet. Give the guy a break....she is obviously very difficult to deal with anyhow...it's sad how , after many years, that Jonas and Emma have been treated so badly.....

What has not been decided? If the his lover is going to have an abortion or not? Or if Jonas and Madeleinde have not broken up?

Even if Madeliene is the most overbearing woman in the world she doesn't deserve to be humiliated publicly is she? :nonono:

Nothing has been decided at all yet. Give the guy a break....she is obviously very difficult to deal with anyhow...it's sad how , after many years, that Jonas and Emma have been treated so badly.....
But that is life. If one breaks up with someone [even after a many years relationship], it is always better to not include the "outsiders" in family gatherings. This get too uneasy because people just don't know how to act around them. That goes for an simple break-up of a couple just growing apart, or worse, in a nasty cheating humiliating breakup. The feelings of family have to be considered over the feelings of the old love interest.

They have split and thats it. Any speculation about getting back together is just written to be sold.

I dont like the black and white view regarding this couple - the bad bad Jonas who cheated and poor poor Madeleine. They were together for many years and obviously deserved each other. Nobody deserves to be cheated but as somebody already said, Madeleine certainly isnt easy to deal with. At times she looks very spoilt, used to get what she wants, luxury lifestyle.
I am not trying to make an excuse but I dont believe that the story is that simple, Jonas the bad guy and Madeleine the Kings daughter, sweet and innocent.

I dont like the black and white view regarding this couple - the bad bad Jonas who cheated and poor poor Madeleine. They were together for many years and obviously deserved each other. Nobody deserves to be cheated but as somebody already said, Madeleine certainly isnt easy to deal with. At times she looks very spoilt, used to get what she wants, luxury lifestyle.
I am not trying to make an excuse but I dont believe that the story is that simple, Jonas the bad guy and Madeleine the Kings daughter, sweet and innocent.

Hate to break this to you, but it doesn't matter what kind of attitude Madeleine had.....or any woman has, for that matter.....there's no excuse for infidelity. None. And trying to say that it's not black and white or that she's not easy to deal with or that she's used to getting what she wants is in essence, rationalizing his degrading behavior.

No woman (or man) deserves to be cheated on. Doesn't matter what they did or didn't do, said or didn't say. If Madeleine was that much trouble or Jonas found himself unable to be with her anymore, he should have been the bigger person and broke up with her. Because that's what an adult does. If you can't be with someone anymore, you tell them to their face that the relationship isn't going to work anymore and maybe it's best you split up. You don't go dropping your pants for the first (or several) floozy that comes along. It's immature and disrespectful.

So please stop trying to parse why he did what he did, as though there was a good reason for it, tucked away somewhere. There is none. Period.

They have split and thats it. Any speculation about getting back together is just written to be sold.

I agree with Sister M.
I can't stand when men do wrong things in relationships then try to blame it on the woman.
Jonas is wrong. Bottom line. I don't care how much of a "brat" Madeleine is, he's still wrong.
I was under the impression that men like to "spoil" their women. Madeleine is a princess...get over it. You're making it seem like she was a demon girlfriend or something. Jonas was wrong and whether we like it or not, from now on, Jonas will be known as the "bad guy" and Madde will be known as the "sweet princess".....cause thats just the way the world works.;)

ruthieviews

Sister Morphine is right! There is absolutely no excuse for infidelity. If you cannot keep it zipped, then leave the relationship. I suspect that Jonus has been cheating off and on throughout the entire relationship. It is implied that she had forgiven him when he proposed - assuring her that this was the King's wishes. What a guy! The rag magazine article covering the bimbo from Norway was bad enough. Now the rumor is that there is a young woman working at his law firm who is pregnant by him and refuses to get an abortion. Is this true or just another rag magazine "extra?" If true, that may have been the real reason the royal family announced a split.

I am glad she behaved in a modest manner during the wedding celebrations. Her bahavior while abroad left something to be desired. Perhaps moving to the U.S. or another country will give her time to recoup and a chance to choose a better path. Her family deserves her best behavior right now. And, more importantly, she deserves time to heal and make some changes in her life.

I wonder what Jonus Bergstrom thought when he saw the wonderful wedding program on TV. I hope "what could have been" flashed through his brain. He must now know what all he threw away. :ermm:

It amazes me so much that some people here aren't able to discuss - they just preach... :nonono:

Madeleine surprised me pleasantly yesterday. Although it was pretty clear that she hasn't got over the whole situation, she managed to look so decent and graceful at her sister's wedding. Victoria deserved it - many congrats to Madde! :flowers:

:previous:

I second that.

I also agree with DoM. Do we know them personally? Not likely. Do we know what happened exactly, besides his cheating(s) I mean, how they talked and acted with each other in private? If we assume that Madeleine is a good girl and with the knowledge that she spent years with Jonas - then he must have good qualities as well. The world isn't black and white, there are shades of grey as well, IMO. ;)

I also agree with DoM. Do we know them personally? Not likely. Do we know what happened exactly, besides his cheating(s) I mean, how they talked and acted with each other in private? If we assume that Madeleine is a good girl and with the knowledge that she spent years with Jonas - then he must have good qualities as well. The world isn't black and white, there are shades of grey as well, IMO. ;)

Of course there are shades of gray in life. Where there aren't however, is in matters of infidelity. There is no excuse for what he did, it doesn't matter what kind of girlfriend she was to him.

If he found her unbeareable he could have broken up with her. Although there is still something shady about their break up.

According to the article it is said that Jonas is going to be a father to a child with his co-worker.
This isn't a comment on Jonas in particular (since I don't yet believe this report), but just a general note.
I can get over cheating, it's low and everything, but I can get over that. What I don't and won't ever understand or rationalize is people who cheat without using protection.
In this day and age it's pure madness for your own health, but it's downright criminal to risk bringing a potentially incurable or even lethal disease in your household.

There's disloyalty, and then there's pure contempt, imo. This latest episode, if true, would fall in the later category.

As for the current debate, I didn't read Duke's post as a rationalisation of infidelity. I actually don't thing his and Sister's views are incompatible.
Basically, it's blatant that his infidelity(ies) brought an end to the relationship (and rightly so), but he alone can't bear the full responsibility of its failure.
But I agree with your general point Sister, chronic infidelity is a coward's way; adults end things and move on.

Sister Morphine #606 Perfectly written---flowers to you.:rose:
Melibea -- I don't see anything shady about breaking up with a cheater even if the man had already asked her father for her hand and expressed to her that the King was OK with him. That just makes him more of a shady character. Seems to me that he probably thought that she wouldn't have the nerve to cause a scandal so close to her sister's wedding. But, after spending hours watching the wedding, I realized what a close family they are --Royal or not--and I am sure the weeks prior to the wedding was well orchestrated. Madeleine was doing exactly what her mother and father suggested. The Royal Family was fine with Madeleine. It was the rest of the world and the media that was finding fault in what she was doing.

Basically, it's blatant that his infidelity(ies) brought an end to the relationship (and rightly so), but he alone can't bear the full responsibility of its failure.
I disagree. He should bear 100% of the responsibility for cheating. There is no excuse. Even if she was the biggest bi-ch in the world he should have left the current relationship before running after another. He would only be staying around her then for the money, fame, high life, etc., if he didn't. That would be another reason to get rid of him. Actually the nice looking lawyer seems to be lacking morals. She will do much better.

Yes he can. Had they split up for any other reason, I'd agree with you. It takes two to end a relationship.......unless one cheats on the other. Then it's all on them.

Madeleine may have been the world's worst girlfriend. That's a total possibility. You know the old saying, "no matter how beautiful the woman is, there's always a man sick of her ----." In other words, she could have treated him horribly. Could have put him down, flaunted her position in life, flirted with other men, spent loads of money, bitched and nagged him all the time....the list goes on. None of that behavior would give him the right to cheat on her, though. That's not how a man (or a woman) handles their business. You dump them. Say that's it, I'm through. You pack your bags and you get the hell out. Tell her parents it's been swell, but you just can't marry her. You don't cheat on her, embarrass her and her family and then think you're going to come out smelling like roses.

Has it been proven that HE cheated on HER ???????
I thought we were not allowed to disrespect anyone one this board , yet I have seen several posts which refer to Mr. Bergstrom as "an idiot"..and "a loser" etc......???

she is a princess....so she is always right ?? ....is that it ????

The morality aspect of this whole story is what's confusing the arguments. And it's an emotional reaction, I think, which is also understandable. In a perfect world we would not have these problems, but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.

His behavior is reprehensible. However, he's a human being prone to personal failure as is everyone. It's obvious he was reckless and irresponsible. I think it's very easy to blame him for what went wrong and he brought all that on himself. But I don't think we should forget that psychology/level of maturity should be considered here. One thing is for certain, they were not right for each other so it's all for the best. Hopefully they will both emerge from this stronger and better people.

How he moves forward with his life will attest to whether or not he learned something from the experience. However, luckily for him, we won't be around to judge him one way or the other.

Has it been proven that HE cheated on HER ???????
I thought we were not allowed to disrespect anyone one this board , yet I have seen several posts which refer to Mr. Bergstrom as "an idiot"..and "a loser" etc......???

she is a princess....so she is always right ?? ....is that it ????

One, no one said that because she's a princess, she's always right. Two, Jonas' wandering eyes (and other body parts) have been common knowledge in the news both in Sweden and Norway (where the other woman is from) ever since the break-up was announced. Also, news surfaced shortly after that he had cheated on her during their relationship PRIOR to the engagement and that she agreed to an engagement to try and "save" the relationship. Three, calling a man that cheats on his fiancee an "idiot" or a "loser" is actually not disrespectful. It's merely stating fact, no different than saying the sky is blue and 2 + 2 = 4. Four, relax.

I was wondering what he was thinking during Victoria wedding? if it wasn't for his cheat, he was going to be there enjoying the party, i bet he regreted now!

I thought the same thing ashelen. Of course, everybody knows when the time comes for Madeleines brollopet, that he will be sitting there thinking of everything his one/or more cheats cost him. That he will go on having to watch Madeleine marry, have children, her charity events and happiness.

At best he is going to be a forgotten lawyer (depending on how much lawyers make) in a middle class apartment with a possible child with a co-worker, provided he choses to stay at Virje law firm for much longer.

Forever in the shadow of the "once-upon-a-time" I think the closest he is ever going to get to Kungliga Slottet much less Drottningholms Slott again is through the open weekly tours if even that. But Madeleine will go on in life and one day be happy.

He should bear 100% of the responsibility for cheating.
And where did I state the opposite?
Had they split up for any other reason, I'd agree with you. It takes two to end a relationship.......unless one cheats on the other. Then it's all on them.
Well, there lie-in the problem.
You assume that the sole reason why the relationship was a failure is because of his cheating. I don't believe that.

Yes, the cheating was the final nail in the coffin but I doubt all was rosy and perfect before-hands. The reports that have appeared in the press after the cheating scandal exploded painted the picture of a dysfunctional relationship, imo. I don't know just how reliable they are but personally, I doubt that relationship was healthy or would have survived into a long, happy union even if Jonas had managed to keep his fly zipped.

I believe they are both better off without each other, Madeleine especially so.

One, no one said that because she's a princess, she's always right. Two, Jonas' wandering eyes (and other body parts) have been common knowledge in the news both in Sweden and Norway (where the other woman is from) ever since the break-up was announced. Also, news surfaced shortly after that he had cheated on her during their relationship PRIOR to the engagement and that she agreed to an engagement to try and "save" the relationship. Three, calling a man that cheats on his fiancee an "idiot" or a "loser" is actually not disrespectful. It's merely stating fact, no different than saying the sky is blue and 2 + 2 = 4. Four, relax.

When you can PROVE that is was HIM that cheated on HER, then you may tell me to relax....."common knowledge" doesnt proove anything......there's plenty of "common knowledge" about the Royal Family too.........:whistling:

^^
And what about the interview to Jonas' lover? She had proof of her relationship with Jonas, so you say that we can't believe her or all the magazines that say the same story? :blink:

When you can PROVE that is was HIM that cheated on HER, then you may tell me to relax....."common knowledge" doesnt proove anything......there's plenty of "common knowledge" about the Royal Family too.........:whistling:

It's also common knowledge that the earth revolves around the sun and that the moon affects the tides.....but hey. Common knowledge doesn't prove anything, right?

We are NEVER going to be able to prove that he cheated.
Unless someone here can get to be best friends with either Madeleine or Jonas.
Everything we talk about is speculation, we take it with a pinch of salt.
But it is fact they broke up, it is speculation, strong speculation that they broke up because Jonas cheated.

I'm sorry but are you Jonas' publicist or something?
You've barely arrived and you are already displaying such aggressivity.

Jonas' cheating at this point cannot be much doubted.
Neither the Swedish court nor, more tellingly, Jonas' camp have made any effort to deny (officially or unofficially) the reports about his fling with the Norwegian. The girl herself has given some material proof to support her story and, beside, Jonas' hard partying and wandering eye have been notorious for years. We're way past the 'benefit of the doubt' here.
It's a Tiger Wood situation, really: we all knew the reports about his affairs were true even before he admitted it himself because the evidences kept piling up.

The exact dynamic of his relationship with Madeleine might never be known but at this point it's fairly futile to try and pretend he wasn't disloyal to her.

So guys do we know wherether he was at Victorias wedding or not?

I think that as bas as cheeting is there is much more to this breakup and I wouldn't put the whole blame on Jonas. YES he did cheet, YES it is horrible and uneccusable. But then they had problems before, some sources even sugest that Maddie was angry with his working hours. She is also believed to be a difficoult person. He was overworked, stressed and unhappy, drunk some alcohol and BANG. It happens all the time all over the world and people somehow manage to deal with it. I think that if it was just that one-nighter and it didn't go public they could work it out. I'm not trying to make excuses for the cheeting but I just don't agree with the way this situation was handled by the media and "royal-fans".

I think that as bas as cheeting is there is much more to this breakup and I wouldn't put the whole blame on Jonas. YES he did cheet, YES it is horrible and uneccusable. But then they had problems before, some sources even sugest that Maddie was angry with his working hours. She is also believed to be a difficoult person. He was overworked, stressed and unhappy, drunk some alcohol and BANG. It happens all the time all over the world and people somehow manage to deal with it. I think that if it was just that one-nighter and it didn't go public they could work it out. I'm not trying to make excuses for the cheeting but I just don't agree with the way this situation was handled by the media and "royal-fans".

So what? If a woman is "difficult" or doesn't like that he works long hours, that gives him the right get drunk and sleep with another woman? You're basically saying that it happens all the time, he was unhappy, he was drunk, she was being difficult.....you're essentially rationalizing it.

I've said it before in this thread; Madeleine could have been the world's worst girlfriend. The two of them could have argued and fought from sun-up to sundown. That doesn't mean he gets to screw around on her. If they were that unhappy or if Madeleine was really that bad, he should have just dumped her.

Please, please, please stop making excuses for this guy.

But then they had problems before, some sources even sugest that Maddie was angry with his working hours. She is also believed to be a difficoult person. He was overworked, stressed and unhappy, drunk some alcohol and BANG. It happens all the time all over the world and people somehow manage to deal with it..
Never, ever an excuse for cheating. Only a self centered ego loving person [male or female] would ever cause that type of pain to anyone they had true feeling for. Overwork, stress, unhappy, drunk is just excuses for doing what he wanted to when he knew it was wrong. Not a fully mature person, only self loving. Been there years ago [with two children and 12 years of marriage] and know exactly what it was like. If Maddy is lucky, like I was, her true prince will eventually come along.:)

Back
Top Bottom