Princess Madeleine & Jonas Bergström Break Off Their Engagement: April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your assessment of Daniel seems right to me, but it's easier to help someone become more at ease with a public life, in terms of how they interact with people and work with others, than it is to make them a good husband. Daniel's often-times uneasiness can be worked on and I'm sure Victoria would be more than happy to help him with that.

I'm not Swedish but I'd still rather see Victoria with a good and decent man who may not be the smartest person in the world or the most eloquent, than see her with someone who can charm the parka off an eskimo but can't keep his pants zipped.

I agree entirely - loyalty is key when it comes to marriages, especially high-profile ones. He can learn to overcome some of his awkwardness -- and I'm sure the Swedes would also be okay with him taking more of a background role, supporting Victoria rather than competing with her.

If the reports are right, and Jonas wasn't loyal to Madeleine, it's better to cut ties now rather than risk more heartbreak and embarassment later.

I´m very sorry for Madeleine but i think this is the right decission. It´s good that the news came now two months before Victoria and Daniels wedding, it would have been inhuman to ask Madeleine to mask her and Jonas problems and attend the wedding like nothing was wrong under enormous media coverage and everyone trying to see a hint of signs of trouble between them.

Now lets hope that she can put this behind her quickly and move on with her life and then later meet someone who is better for her (maybe some brittish prince... :p)

Sister Morphine
If she was so bad, what was he thinking whent he stayed with her 8 years? :ROFLMAO:

I agree with both of you, if you don't like someone, break up, but don't cheat it hurts the other person, and maybe the "other woman" (if she doesn't know!).

Let's not bring Prince Harry into this. I highly doubt he and Madeleine will be a couple. So it's absurd to even write it. Madeleine will most likely want someone who is low-key and out of the spotlight anyway.

Besides, when a womans heart is broken she either becomes depressed and forget to live life, date someone else as a rebound, or learn from the situation. Being a celebrity is a problem because you just dont know if that person loves you for you or for your 'status".

This is a tragic event for both of them. They have been spending eight years together and formed their lives around each other and respective families. Madeleine is still a swedish princess and part of the royal family and its social circle. Jonas on the other hand have been almost within reach of becoming a Duke and marrying into the royal family. He will have some considerable obsticles to overcome. Being a lawyer is not only a good education and legal skills. Being successfull at a reputable lawfirm also includes your network, professional and personal as well as the social circle you move in. Over time everything will be forgotten but short term he will have a hard time presenting himself as a sophisticated and smart professional after having behaved as an impulsive adolescent.

I hope they both get over the hurts and turbulence. Stockholm upper class is a very small group of people and they will more in the same circles unless one of them leaves the country permanently. They will both eventually meet the right life partner and move on.

Is really sad for her, but lets face it, he might did something completely wrong, but I'm sure he is suffering too, they dated for 8 years!! That person is a part of your life!

I'm sorry but Madeline has been split with Jonas officially for less than a day, and we're starting to talk about her dating Harry and William.
Can't we wait a little longer?

Is really sad for her, but lets face it, he might did something completely wrong, but I'm sure he is suffering too, they dated for 8 years!! That person is a part of your life!

It's the second long-term partner gone from the Swedish royal family in the past two years, as well (CP and Emma broke up in March '09). When the couple has been together for nearly a decade, it really is like a divorce -- many complex bonds between not just the two partners but also their parents, siblings, and friends.

I don't envy any of them -- this will not be an easy break. But if Jonas has betrayed Madeleine's trust as has been reported, it's necessary.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but Madeline has been split with Jonas officially for less than a day, and we're starting to talk about her dating Harry and William.

No one is talking about Madeleine dating William or Harry. Someone made a joking comment that Harry likes pretty blondes, of which Madeleine is one and I just commented that it would be the first time a princess from another royal house married into the BRF since the late Duchess of Kent. It was just an observation on a joke.

My thoughts exactly!! At this point, she's not problably not even thinking about another relationship:eek:.

No one was seriously discussing Madeleine dating either of the Wales boys.

Blindness

This may sound cynical, but I have to wonder if the story about Jonas having a fling with the Norwegian woman (whether or not it's true) may have been played up as part of the royal house's strategy for announcing this break up.

It certainly offers a convenient way to make Jonas the bad guy and Madeleine the victim, which helps maintain her image and builds public sentiment for her.

Just seems a little strange to me that the media found the woman he supposedly cheated with -- more than a year ago -- the same week the queen made her comment about the wedding being postponed until next year. (It's especially odd if it's true that the tabloids had this story months ago.) And all of this happened the week Madeleine is leaving the country.

The whole thing seems a little too convenient to have happened by chance.

Witty thinking but you forget something here. Something, journalists and so-called royal observers should have noticed earlier.

When the rumours of a clash in the couple started to spread public weeks ago, one of the first comments by HM The Queen was quote "Madeleine is ok" unquote...

Few were striked there on how many local and international magazines but also news agencies have changed it to "Madeleine and Jonas are ok". Nevertheless Queen Silvia sent a clear message in that sentence : Jonas was no longer welcome in the Royal Family. A message towards which many media kept completely blind !!!

The further statements, though more official, were PR's misleadings of the issue. Very bad ones if you want my opinion ! Picture it : April 21th, they are still together ; three days later : the break-up !

The same story occured for Prince Hamzah of Jordan's divorce which could have been easily anticipated on the occasion of his last birthday because there was no more mention of his wife anywhere...

Sometimes journalist have to investigate or read between the lines instead of swallowing PR's bull****s...

No one was seriously discussing Madeleine dating either of the Wales boys.

Just pointing it out, that i don't think it's right to even joke after Madeleine has been through a very long relationship with Jonas, and now has broken of her 9 month engagement. Someone has already started discussing Madeleine in the British thread.

I'm really sorry for Madeleine. Didn't she say she wanted to start a family very soon after the marriage? Until she finds a new (and better) guy that she wants to marry and to start an own family with could pass years...

Bluntness

New information of Tora, she told to Se og Hor:
Tora and Jonas exchanged phone numbers while they met in Åre. Jonas introduced himself as Jacob Bernström. Soon Tora realised that Jacob was Jonas. She sent Jonas many text messages: Why did you pretend to be someone else? Jonas never answered.
Nytt avslöjande i Norge - Toras sms till Jonas - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen

Picture it, my name is Jonas Bergström, I am a public figure and I choose to a have a sex date anonymously because I am engaged to a princess. I could have pretend to be Carl Gustafsson or anything quite anonymous. No I went by the name of... Jacob Bernström :eek:

DID THAT GUY BEG FOR BEING CAUGHT WHILE CHEATING ?!!!

Just pointing it out, that i don't think it's right to even joke after Madeleine has been through a very long relationship with Jonas, and now has broken of her 9 month engagement. Someone has already started discussing Madeleine in the British thread.

Well, that person is being a tad insensitive if that's the case. My only involvement in that aspect of the discussion was pointing out the late Duchess of Kent.

It´s so strange with those long lasting relationships: My brother had a girlfriend for eight years and they were happy together and one and a half year after the wedding everything was over.
Wonder whether Madeleine had broken off the engagement if nothing was made public of Jonas cheating at her before the engagement. I mean she knew about his cheating with that Norwegian girl but still accepted his proposal.
Before this engagement video appeared I had seen Jonas only on photos. But when I saw him moving in that video I got a totally different impression of him - and no good one....

Well, that person is being a tad insensitive if that's the case. My only involvement in that aspect of the discussion was pointing out the late Duchess of Kent.

I'm not attacking anyone personally, just making a point that musings between Madeleine and the British Princes can be left for a while. :)

i was a bit shocked seeing the news, although i had the impression it would happen after all those rumours. also, i thought madeleine waited for so long to marry jonas as the king wanted victoria to marry first, hence the rapidity with which her engagement was announced. it must be hard for madeleine also, after spending 8 years with someone in all your youth it must be hard to restart dating, specially since she is a princess. i guess she must feel quite betrayed.

i just find it funny that even the queen stepped into the spotlight to say that they were fine - when they were not. in this case, i guess it's best to keep quiet and ignore the rumours than to say they are wrong in public. now, the credibility of queen silvia is damaged, at least to me.

so i assume that the rumours are true and jonas cheated on madeleine? if so, silly boy - he should have known better: his career, his network, his future relationships, his family.. will all suffer the consequences of this. it couldn't be quicker to have gained such a bad reputation in sweden.

last, i cannot help but feel very happy for victoria - with all the criticism daniel received when compared to jonas at the beginning. daniel had it hard to be accepted by the king, while jonas had his positive opinion very easily (probably because of their backgrounds). time has shown how erroneous first impressions can be. daniel is clearly someone that makes her happy, despite not being the "prince stereotype".

Witty thinking but you forget something here. Something, journalists and so-called royal observers should have noticed earlier.

When the rumours of a clash in the couple started to spread public weeks ago, one of the first comments by HM The Queen was quote "Madeleine is ok" unquote...

Few were striked there on how many local and international magazines but also news agencies have changed it to "Madeleine and Jonas are ok". Nevertheless Queen Silvia sent a clear message in that sentence : Jonas was no longer welcome in the Royal Family. A message towards which many media kept completely blind !!!

The further statements, though more official, were PR's misleadings of the issue. Very bad ones if you want my opinion ! Picture it : April 21th, they are still together ; three days later : the break-up !

The same story occured for Prince Hamzah of Jordan's divorce which could have been easily anticipated on the occasion of his last birthday because there was no more mention of his wife anywhere...

Sometimes journalist have to investigate or read between the lines instead of swallowing PR's bull****s...

this is a good point, but are you sure she said "madeleine is okay"? i thought she said it was all good between them.

Last edited:
I had said somehow I do not see these two as a couple and I hope these pity parties for Madeleine will stop because I do not think any of us would like to have been married to man that has been unfaithful at all.Jonas needs a pity party because he just lost a wonderful girl and many dreams. Instead he will go back and forth to work for the rest of his days like the rest of the humanity when all he had to do was actually love Madeleine .PM on the other hand is still a Princess and the world is her oyster.Good riddance to Jonas if he was unfaithful and disgraced the family;and if he was such on gal like PM I think he needs therapy.
Meanwhile I wish Pm the best and I hope she finds her Prince Charming soon.with that happy ending just around the corner.

This is so very, very sad. I had thought that Jonas looked like a solid, young man. I can't imagine how Maddie will feel when she feels her older sister walking down the aisle in June. OMG, the heartache!

This is so very, very sad. I had thought that Jonas looked like a solid, young man. I can't imagine how Maddie will feel when she feels her older sister walking down the aisle in June. OMG, the heartache!
Maddie should be proud of her sis when she walks down the aisle and glad she is not going to tie the knot with a man not true to her.For all we know he may have a woman somewhere other than the one he was cheating with.I pity Jonas he lost a terrific girl................Maddie is free again crazy free independent me again time to have a party. a party...............

I think that Madde will be very happy for, and so proud of her sister, and not have Jonas in her thoughts at all that day.

I agree with katelinn- Madeleine will be happy for her sister on her big day, and she'll probably be thinking she's glad to be rid of Jonas before they got married and an even bigger disaster occurred. Hold your head high, Maddie, and wait for a real man to come along!;)

I also want to add that if Jonas really did cheat on Madeleine, then he is a real idiot. Jonas may be sophisticated and educated, but that doesn't equal common sense.
Jonas the well educated, quasi sophisticated male really is not an idiot lacking common sense. He is a common scab. He should seriously be thinking about migrating far away -- South America might be far enough away from Sweden -- for about 2 years.

I actually made the initial comment about Madeline and the British princes, and I personally don't feel that it was offensive. Its not as if Jonas died, and I was suggesting that the British Princes (or anyone else for that matter) step over the body to date Madeline.

The fact is that for whatever reason, Madeline and Jonas are not together. And since musings were made when each were in a relationship with other people, why not now?

Regardless, I doubt that Madeline will go quickly into another relationship, she did date Jonas for 8 years and needs time to grieve the end of this relationship. Hopefully, she will focus on Madeline.

On the other hand, I am not that familiar with Sweden, and if the upper class is as small as suggested, I woudn't be surprised if Jonas is suddenly transfered out of the country. Its one thing to break up when you are dating, quite another to break up after a public engagement.

Last edited:
In regards to Queen Silvia's statement and the PR actions of the Swedish Court, I am going to chalk this up to unchartered territory...when was the last time a Swedish royal engagement happened (I am thinking the late Queen Ingrid of Denmark )...and they simply didn't know what do. Plus, the press is vicious when smelling blood in the water in regards to a story.

I think the next coursthip should not be as long as eight years as it was with Jonas. I also feel the it was not solely infdility thatled to the split.I would not be surprised if Maddie gets or swept off her feet by a royal - which one I do not know.But everyone should keep their eyes open.

Back
Top Bottom