Princess Madeleine & Jonas Bergström Break Off Their Engagement: April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what? If a woman is "difficult" or doesn't like that he works long hours, that gives him the right get drunk and sleep with another woman? You're basically saying that it happens all the time, he was unhappy, he was drunk, she was being difficult.....you're essentially rationalizing it.

I've said it before in this thread; Madeleine could have been the world's worst girlfriend. The two of them could have argued and fought from sun-up to sundown. That doesn't mean he gets to screw around on her. If they were that unhappy or if Madeleine was really that bad, he should have just dumped her.

Please, please, please stop making excuses for this guy.

Oh please! :lol: Sorry to give you a wake up call but yeah: it happens all the time. People cheat!!! Men and women!

I don't think anyone here believes that it's a good thing and if Jonas really cheated on her and if it's the only reason why they broke off their engagement then that's it. And good for Madeleine that she found out and got rid of him!!!

Oh please! :lol: Sorry to give you a wake up call but yeah: it happens all the time. People cheat!!! Men and women!

I don't need a wake up call. Thank you anyway. I know infidelity happens all the time, and I know that both men and women cheat. I never said otherwise. What I said was not to make excuses for why Jonas cheated on Madeleine. That it didn't matter what kind of girlfriend she was, or whether she complained about his work schedule. That if she was really a horrible girlfriend and he just couldn't take it anymore, he should have dumped her.

Nowhere in my post did I say that cheating DIDN'T happen or that only men cheat or that only women cheat. Don't put words in my mouth, please.

So guys do we know wherether he was at Victorias wedding or not?

I think that as bas as cheeting is there is much more to this breakup and I wouldn't put the whole blame on Jonas. YES he did cheet, YES it is horrible and uneccusable. But then they had problems before, some sources even sugest that Maddie was angry with his working hours. She is also believed to be a difficoult person. He was overworked, stressed and unhappy, drunk some alcohol and BANG. It happens all the time all over the world and people somehow manage to deal with it. I think that if it was just that one-nighter and it didn't go public they could work it out. I'm not trying to make excuses for the cheeting but I just don't agree with the way this situation was handled by the media and "royal-fans".

No he did not attend Victoria's wedding.
There is no excuse for cheating.
If he had problems with Madeleine being difficult, he should have finished her.

This was discussed a while back, and rumoured to be another reason for the break-up.
If he got a co-worker pregnant, than it's his problem.
If he hasn't, then the papers shouldn't create lies like this.

I don't need a wake up call. Thank you anyway. I know infidelity happens all the time, and I know that both men and women cheat. I never said otherwise. What I said was not to make excuses for why Jonas cheated on Madeleine. That it didn't matter what kind of girlfriend she was, or whether she complained about his work schedule. That if she was really a horrible girlfriend and he just couldn't take it anymore, he should have dumped her.

Nowhere in my post did I say that cheating DIDN'T happen or that only men cheat or that only women cheat. Don't put words in my mouth, please.

Dont worry. I'm not keen on putting words in your mouth. I hate it to get personal, but you should learn to accept the opinions of others. If people here try to make excuses for Jonas Bergstroms behavior, let them live. If you find it inexcusable (and I have no doubt about it) then that is your opinion and you dont have to persuade others. This forum is a discussion board and to me it is natural that different opinions are part and parcel of a discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no excuse for cheating, none... But there is also no excuse for the fact that Madeleine knew he was cheating and accepted a proposal from him, none. He's the jerk, but they are BOTH immature. They are better off apart, thank god!

If he had problems with Madeleine being difficult, he should have finished her.
Errr, surely you mean finished with her. :ohmy: :ermm:.... :lol:
That's not a very good point, imo. Rape and thief happen all the time too, that doesn't make them more acceptable.

But I agree with the general point you and other people are making.

Jonas is 100% responsible for his infidelity, but the responsibility for the failure of the relationship is most likely shared (maybe not evenly but still) because, from what has transpired, it's very unlikely that it was the only problem they were having.

People who say that Madeleine also had a role in the breakdown of the relationship are not saying it's ever OK to cheat. They simply are saying that there are many reasons why a relationship can be doomed, and infidelity is only one of them.
It's not that hard a concept to understand.

^err, sorry to get pedantic but that's not the same meaning.

Finished her = killed her
Finished with her = terminated the relationship

My remark was meant as an humorous and harmless jab, btw.

Jonas is 100% responsible for his infidelity, but the responsibility for the failure of the relationship is most likely shared (maybe not evenly but still) because, from what has transpired, it's very unlikely that it was the only problem they were having.

People who say that Madeleine also had a role in the breakdown of the relationship are not saying it's ever OK to cheat. They simply are saying that there are many reasons why a relationship can be doomed, and infidelity is only one of them.
It's not that hard a concept to understand.

that is exactly what I ment, thank you very much:)

That's not a very good point, imo. Rape and thief happen all the time too, that doesn't make them more acceptable.

I'm sorry if my contribution did sound to you as if it makes cheating okay because it happens all the time. That wasnt my intention at all.

To me, and thats perhaps subjective, some people here almost sound as if he was the first man who cheated on a woman and this surely isn't the case. We are all grown up and know that such things happen. Not only to princesses.

I can only recur, if the cheating has been the only reason for the separation then it is the best thing that could happen that its over now.

My view on Jonas is that he wanted it both ways. He wanted to party and have women on the side AND be the future Duke and member of the Swedish Royal Family. He would rather cheat than break up with Pss. Madeleine b/c he didn't want to give up his future in the royal family. He is a social climber.

What boggles my mind is how did he think his affairs would not come out in public. Hello, you are dating a member of a ruling royal family!!!! They are constantly chased by the papparazzi and you think that they would somehow not catch onto your philandering!!!

I hope Pss. Madeleine finds a better guy. Her boyfriend before Jonas had issues as well. His name was Erik Granath. I remember the mini-scandal about the picture of him gropping her breast while the two were walking outdoors. Erik also had a police record and been found guilty of assault. He was also rumored to have bullied Prince Carl-Philip during high school. Everybody was relieved when Jonas came along...

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8682/erikgk6.jpg

PRINCESS MADELEINE OF SWEDEN SPLITS UP WITH HER BOYFRIEND

I really like Pss. Madeleine but she strikes me as a shallow girl who is into shallow guys. Shallow men don't make good boyfriends/husbands. Jonas cheating was not her fault but the men she picks seem dodgy from the get go.

No, there is no excuse for cheating. But usually both partners are to blame, its not only about cheating but also about sticking to the cheater, even getting engagaged to him. If Jonas is the serial cheater some posters believe him to be - why on earth did the engagement happen at all? To believe that a leopard does change his spots is pretty naive, especially when in the public eye.
I found it strange from the beginning that the King and Queen of Sweden did not appear with the couple - as if they already knew what might be coming.
Madeleine and Jonas were together for many years and nobody knows what went on behind the scenes during that time. Only because it became public that Jonas cheated once, it doesnt mean the relationship was a happy fairytale and it happended out of the blue. It appears that the relationship was already in trouble a long time ago and two very immature people went ahead with an engagement that was bound to fail in the circumstances. It's a home made nightmare, therefore I dont feel sorry for any of the protagonists.

Madeleine surprised me pleasantly yesterday. Although it was pretty clear that she hasn't got over the whole situation, she managed to look so decent and graceful at her sister's wedding. Victoria deserved it - many congrats to Madde! :flowers:

I know I’m late here, but I want to second what NoorMeansLight has said. I was one of the ones questioning the wisdom of Madeleine canceling so many engagements before the wedding. I didn’t understand that she would be participating in some events in the run-up to the wedding. And I think now that she was gone just the right amount of time, and came back exactly when she should have. She acquitted herself perfectly at the wedding, and was clearly supportive and happy for her sister and Daniel.

^err, sorry to get pedantic but that's not the same meaning.

Finished her = killed her
Finished with her = terminated the relationship

My remark was meant as an humorous and harmless jab, btw.

Well where I come from, and pretty much all over england, finished her has the same meaning as finished with her.

I never thought finished with her could mean killed her.

I thought the same thing ashelen. Of course, everybody knows when the time comes for Madeleines brollopet, that he will be sitting there thinking of everything his one/or more cheats cost him. That he will go on having to watch Madeleine marry, have children, her charity events and happiness.

At best he is going to be a forgotten lawyer (depending on how much lawyers make) in a middle class apartment with a possible child with a co-worker, provided he choses to stay at Virje law firm for much longer.

Forever in the shadow of the "once-upon-a-time" I think the closest he is ever going to get to Kungliga Slottet much less Drottningholms Slott again is through the open weekly tours if even that. But Madeleine will go on in life and one day be happy.

Haha, that´s EXACTLY what I thought, too. His eternal punishment now is, that he permanently reads/hears/sees the news about Madeleine and her future life. He cannot get rid of it (except he´s going to Australia :whistling:) ... while he remains a "nobody" and a "Ex of Madde" whereas he so desperately wanted to climb the stairs to (financial & social) "heaven"....

He truly deserves it
BYe Bine

Ok, it seems Jonas behaved in a bad way. But it doesn't means he's going to be unhappy all his life just because he and princess Madeleine broke up. If he really-really wanted to marry a princess he would never do what he did... he is a smart man, he should know the risk was too high. So maybe he's happier now... who knows?

I wish Madeleine open her eyes next time and choose a better man for her, and I hope Jonas doesn't hurt any other bride as he did with the princess. That's all

Well, I wish BOTH of them happyness and great relationships without all that drama.

Exactly elizab, Both of them a lots of happiness.

For years I had a dream that this stunning young Swedish princess would bump into Prince William at some function and....KABOOM! Can you imagine the media frenzy? The wedding if these two came together?

Sigh...I know it won't happen, but a person can dream.....:whistling:

She´d better bump into Harry since he´s a fan of blondies. And I feel there is some similar character between Chelsy and Madeleine....:cool:

Madeleine with one of the British Princes.:rolleyes: Not bad at all, but highly unlikely. Isn't she currently involved with a Swedish athlete? Or this is old news? :)

Stefanie, tell us more about those feelings.;)

The athlete (Henrik Lundqvist) said, that him and Madeleine aren´t an item and that he is very happy with his girlfriend of many years.
He might be a liar, but his words did sound convincing IMO.

Thanks for replying! :flowers: So, there may be something between them. Perhaps it's too early for both of them. I don't know, I'm not that convinced.:whistling: Just kidding.

Well, it´s no secret that Madeleine has got a certain talent to bump into men of certain circles she´d better stay away. That´s IMO the most interesting fact concerning the broken engagement. And any time I see Harry and Chelsy I "feel" they´d "feel" very comfortable in those circles.....;)

I suggested William because he is heir to the throne, and the idea of a beautiful Swedish princess eventually becoming Queen of England sounds very appealing to me. If she married Harry and William married Kate Middleton, Madeleine would technically have to curtsy to her once Wills ascends to the throne...and that just feels wrong for some reason! :ermm:

Besides, before Kate didn't William enjoy blondes as well? I have a feeling he probably still has a soft spot for them.....

ruthieviews

Before we all bundle up Madeleine and send her off COD to the Brits, let's take a look at her choices so far. That creep prior to Jonas was crude and rude. Groping her while their picture was taken gives us a picture of his character. Add his criminal record and his bullying of her brother and you can see that he should have been "thrown overboard" sooner.

Jonus, while exhibiting more style and class, was nonetheless a cheating, scheming piece of work. After viewing the "Wales Boys" falling out of pubs and into non-stop partying does not bode well for them either. Let's stop and take a few steps back and look at this entire situation again.

Princess Madeleine needs to relocate and find herself and her true path. She would greatly benefit from some therapy to change her expectations about men. If her sign says "sleazy jerk wanted, apply here," that's what she will get. She needs a new sign and a new attitude about what she expects and what she will or will not tolerate in a partner. It is certainly not too late to change the dynamics of her relationships. She is a lovely woman who deserves only the best.

Back
Top Bottom