Princess Madeleine & Jonas Bergström Break Off Their Engagement: April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In regards to Queen Silvia's statement and the PR actions of the Swedish Court, I am going to chalk this up to unchartered territory...when was the last time a Swedish royal engagement happened (I am thinking the late Queen Ingrid of Denmark )...and they simply didn't know what do. Plus, the press is vicious when smelling blood in the water in regards to a story.
Have to agree with you Zonk,
Not often the Swedes break their betrothals and I think they have handled it well.Maybe the King had a session of -Andy Hardy's man to man with Jonas and the press release was from the Queen.I think Maddie is going to the States for the reasons you have mentioned here.

Well, I am sure in retrospect the Swedish Court is probably thinking they should have handled it different. And I am sure many (here at TRF, in Sweden, etc.) could probably cite specific examples but where do you start?

Madeline and Jonas were having problems, do you give the couple enough time to work them out before you announce that there are problems? Then how much time do you give them? Who knew the tabloid was going to report the potential affair issue? Was it true? Who asks the fiancee of the daughter of the King of Sweden if he cheated on his Princess? Did Madelaine talk to her parents and/or siblings every day...where they trying to give her space to let her make a decision, etc. Did the Queen think (or was she told by Madelaine that was everything was fine) and it was really not? Then you have all these rumours, and the story is taking on a life of its own.

Take into consideration that Victoria is getting married, and she is the next Queen of Sweden, you don't want to mar her wedding day as a daughter and heir but you need to handle it before she gets married because its not fair that her wedding day gets caught in this nightmare of an engagement....but you have to make sure that your other daughter is taken care as of well. The questions and possiblities are endless.

One thing for sure, its definitely better that it was called off before Victoria's wedding and that Madelaine will not be in Sweden for a while. Hopefully, when she returns some of the interest in the broken enagement will over.

Last edited:
Very sad news! By the way, her name is Madeleine not Madelaine or Madeline. Sorry.

I wish her the best and I am pretty sure that she will find a better man.

I hardly doubt they were "okay" and "fine" when the court initially said that nothing was wrong, and then decided to up and end the engagement less than a week later.

So that begs the question -- why did the court lie and say things were fine, only to have this happen days later? Surely they'd understand people looking at a calendar and realizing that 5 or 6 days between "okay" and "break-up" doesn't really happen, at least in situations like this.

Maybe they were fine before it was announced then decides that it's better to break it off now than later. Had they announced it while Madeleine was still Sweden she'd be stalked by the press! Which is not helpful in this situation, for either Madeleine or Jonas.

There is no getting away from the fact that this will cast a shadow over Princess Victoria's big day. I really hope that this hasn't happened purely because of foolish behaviour on a stag night as it would be too sad for both parties if something so cheap has cost them their long term happiness.

The alleged incident sounds like much more than "foolish behaviour on a stag night," though. If the Norwegian woman is telling the truth, Jonas sought her out at a club, gave her a false name, and left the club with her. All of this allegedly happened before he was even engaged to Madeleine, and if true, it sounds like a calculated decision to be unfaithful rather than just a "foolish" mistake, I'm afraid.

The alleged incident sounds like much more than "foolish behaviour on a stag night," though. If the Norwegian woman is telling the truth, Jonas sought her out at a club, gave her a false name, and left the club with her. All of this allegedly happened before he was even engaged to Madeleine, and if true, it sounds like a calculated decision to be unfaithful rather than just a "foolish" mistake, I'm afraid.

It was not "an alleged" incident.There were several "asides" by Jonas and the one making the biggest headlines with the norwegian who** telling all for money....was even before the engagement.Jonas "promissed" to never do it again.....:whistling:

He fooled the Princess and played with her feelings more then once until apparently Queen Silvia had a long serious talk with her daughter.
It seems her brother and Victoria also talked to her,that the one who didn't know anything untill it was all done and over with was HM The King.

Poor poor dearest Madde,I really feel sorry for her.There is this drop dead gorgious youngest daughter of the King,and this upstart who played tricks on her time and time again.He might as well emigrate now.

This norwegian vulgarity of a creature claming she didn't know who he was?Bull.Cashing in for 12.500 was enough to revive her memory.
They're both trash,Jonas with the pretty face and that creature from norge.

While Madeleine has been through hell, she'll come through fine. She has the support of a loving family and especially her sister. Of the two in this defunct relationship, Madeleine is the better off and Jonas, due to his stupidity will have to live this down for quite a while. Madeleine is a strong young woman.

It was not "an alleged" incident.There were several "asides" by Jonas and the one making the biggest headlines with the norwegian who** telling all for money....was even before the engagement.Jonas "promissed" to never do it again.....:whistling:

He fooled the Princess and played with her feelings more then once until apparently Queen Silvia had a long serious talk with her daughter.
It seems her brother and Victoria also talked to her,that the one who didn't know anything untill it was all done and over with was HM The King.

Poor poor dearest Madde,I really feel sorry for her.There is this drop dead gorgious youngest daughter of the King,and this upstart who played tricks on her time and time again.He might as well emigrate now.

This norwegian vulgarity of a creature claming she didn't know who he was?Bull.Cashing in for 12.500 was enough to revive her memory.

I suppose we can thank the Norwegian girl for spilling the beans before the marriage and showing the true colours of Jonas.

I am not surem if Madelaine and the court were that surprised by the news. There was probably a good reason why they never announced a wedding date (and postponed it for 2011).

Last edited:
apparently Queen Silvia had a long serious talk with her daughter.

Sorry, but this made me smile. Isn't that how it is in so many families - Dad is the LAST person to know ANYTHING? :D

I'm really sorry for Madeleine because this has to be so traumatic - it would be terrible if she were just a normal girl but it's even worse because the whole country's watched it - but at least it came out before the wedding and she didn't marry this loser.

Sorry, but this made me smile. Isn't that how it is in so many families - Dad is the LAST person to know ANYTHING? :D

I'm really sorry for Madeleine because this has to be so traumatic - it would be terrible if she were just a normal girl but it's even worse because the whole country's watched it - but at least it came out before the wedding and she didn't marry this loser.

Yes, I agree. Dad is always the last one you want to talk with, but the first one you want to make be proud of.

Madeleine is so chrming and so young, that wouldn't be too late to leave this jerk.

Aftonbladet writes that the couple had problems last fall: Madeleine heard that Jonas was partying wildly at a place called V, a lyxlounge where only the truly privileged access. She confronted him, but he denied again. Aftonbladet has contacted with a couple of women depicted. They have met Jonas, but say there wasn´t much more than that.
- I met Jonas at a club in London a few years ago, says one.
- Possibly I have been in the same party, says the other.
Jonas was jealous of Madeleine´s trips to New York and that she was getting attention elsewhere.
- It was a little revenge, said one of Madeleine's friends.
When the Nobel Banquet approached Madeleine was forced to come home to Jonas. The couple had a frosty relationship but they came together. Madeleine was beautiful, but stiff. She barely talked with Jonas during the evening.
DÄRFÖR DOG KÄRLEKEN | Bröllopet | Aftonbladet

so, does this mean that madeleine got engaged to someone she knew that cheated on her previously?

i don't think we can be harsh on the girls jonas was seeing. they may not know who he was or even if he had a wife or girlfriend at all. unless they themselves were cheating, the only one accountable is jonas.

as i said previously, it must be hard on madeleine. it was an 8 years relationship, nearly a third of her life. she must have placed such trust in jonas to wait to marry him for so long, only to just see it vanish so quickly after the king allows their marriage. it must be depressing, frustrating for her. i think she will take some time to start seeing someone again.

Jonas the well educated, quasi sophisticated male really is not an idiot lacking common sense. He is a common scab. He should seriously be thinking about migrating far away -- South America might be far enough away from Sweden -- for about 2 years.

as i said before, it's amazing how misleading first impressions can be.

Last edited:
so, does this mean that madeleine got engaged to someone she knew that cheated on her previously?

I've read somewhere in one of these threads, that she knew about him cheating on her before they got engaged. But accepting the proposal as they were going to work on their relationship. :ermm:

What a horrible teeth she has...Anyway, you are so right lumutqueen, they always want something they "can't" have

If they can't have them, then why do they end up getting them? Musn't be much of challenge.

That whole 'they always want what they cant have' should really be 'those they know they shouldn't have, they get'.

What they (those who cheat) don't possess is a moral centre.

I actually made the initial comment about Madeline and the British princes, and I personally don't feel that it was offensive. Its not as if Jonas died, and I was suggesting that the British Princes (or anyone else for that matter) step over the body to date Madeline.
Yes, I don't understand the touchiness.

There is no need to form a kumbaya circle around Madeleine. She isn't reading this, nobody died, this isn't happening to you and you don't even know the girl.

Also, I find it funny that nobody has any problem with suggestions that Jonas should be mutilated or calling that Norwegian girl a prostitute, but imply that Madeleine could find love again soon and you're 'tacky' and 'insensitive'. My...

Not to defend Jonas (he was acting immature and careless. Period), but if Madeleine doesn´t broaden her horizon and does further refuse to see, that "Royalty" isn´t just fun and advantages, this will happen to her again. Mark my words.

My ex-boyfriend cheated on me, I broke our relationship off and he could not figure out why! Men do the dumbest things, not to say that women can't of course.
Better that Princess Madeleine and Jonas split now rather than get married and the marriage fall apart.

I agree with katelinn- Madeleine will be happy for her sister on her big day, and she'll probably be thinking she's glad to be rid of Jonas before they got married and an even bigger disaster occurred. Hold your head high, Maddie, and wait for a real man to come along!;)

I agree if she had not gotten rid of Jonas before the Victoria's wedding then she would have been miserable all throughout Victoria's wedding. Now she can enjoy Victoria and Daniel's wedding.

Ufff, I am somehow relieved, that she did it now.
Yes, the upcoming weeks & months may be a hard time for Madeleine (maybe also in the second, when her sister is making her vows), but now she is free to get a "better man" -- the one, she deserves. And she for sure does not deserve a man, who already cheated her several times prior to the wedding.... it only could have been worse after.
BYe Bine

even if she (Tora) did know- it's still more Jonas' fault than hers! He chose to go with her! that was his decision, and maybe she thought "on his head, so be it! he is cheating, I'm not!" Shes not responsible for his actions, even if they do include her, he did it with his own free will! Yes, she shouldn't have done it because he was cheating, it was a wrong thing to do. But its still more his fault.

If Madeline knew about the cheating and decided at that moment to forgive and forget, you can't blame her. I know many a woman who thinks she can forget such an indiscretion because he loves only her and more importantly, they (the woman) think they can change him.

If he cheats once chances are he will do it again. It is much better that she found this out before marriage.

Onece a cheater always a cheater...i had the same experians with my ex boyfriend..he was 32 and the girl was 17 so in theory he coud be her farther if it was.

if he thought he was clever, now hope he can realize how NOT clever he is, he thoguht he would a "duque", social, level money and a prety wife and princess , well he can kiss goodbye to all of that , he probably is an arrogant,, i am so glad they finish, she will get over and eventually hope she found somebody who really loves her, I think if I was her I would change m y look, and try to meet somebody as a communer, that way I would know they love me for me and not for my title and money! and I think it would be fun too to pretend that!

Back
Top Bottom