Princess Madeleine & Jonas Bergström Break Off Their Engagement: April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry, why would the King of Sweden interfere with Jonas' employment? Why would the King of Sweden interfere with anyone's employment? Jonas cheated on his daughter, they broke their engagement. That's it. If Carl Gustaf tries to get him fired or keep him from being hired anywhere else, don't you think that's overstepping his authority? He has no right to do that.....what monarch would even bother getting involved? Jonas Bergstrom is nothing to him now, he has no vested in his life anymore.

because he is the king and that is his daughter. I don't think he would end Jonas' career, but if it was me well I would be saying Guillotine.

NYC (Manhattan) isn't that big, I was really surprised when I went there. Even with that I think she should be fine, then she will be off to Seattle. I have a feeling that most people in the Pacific NW will leave her alone or won't know who she is.

The cnn article was quite good
Royal wedding called off amid cheating claims - CNN.com

I wish her and her family the best.

He will do fine. That is if he is a good lawyer. No one will care about his private life. She is knock down gorgeous. She is also a princess. She will do fine. People go one.

because he is the king and that is his daughter.

And? That gives him the right as a monarch to interfere with Jonas' employment how exactly? He's the King, not a dictator. He can't just call Jonas' boss and say "fire the bastard". He has no authority to do that. I don't know specifically what powers the King of Sweden has, but I'm pretty confident in saying that's not one of them.

I hate the fact that I'm defending this guy but come on. Yeah I said he should be castrated and that was going too far, I apologize for that -- some of you are going waaaaay overboard here.

I agree Morphine. I at least feel he is going to have to live with EVERYBODY knowing what he's done and his own concience for the rest of this life. I mean the probably the embarrassment he has caused his parents. And you know the people he work with know, that's the way of employees. His friends everybody knows and he is just going to have to hang his head and live with the foolish disgusting choices he has made. That possibly everytime he turns on the television he will watch Madeleine marry someone else, have a family and live her life in the spotlight and will always possibly regret for what he could have had and what he has now lost. Just my own opinion. Hope I haven't offended anybody.

And? That gives him the right as a monarch to interfere with Jonas' employment how exactly? He's the King, not a dictator. He can't just call Jonas' boss and say "fire the bastard". He has no authority to do that. I don't know specifically what powers the King of Sweden has, but I'm pretty confident in saying that's not one of them.

I hate the fact that I'm defending this guy but come on. Yeah I said he should be castrated and that was going too far, I apologize for that -- some of you are going waaaaay overboard here.

I agree Morphine. I at least feel he is going to have to live with EVERYBODY knowing what he's done and his own concience for the rest of this life. I mean the probably the embarrassment he has caused his parents. And you know the people he work with know, that's the way of employees. His friends everybody knows and he is just going to have to hang his head and live with the foolish disgusting choices he has made. That possibly everytime he turns on the television he will watch Madeleine marry someone else, have a family and live her life in the spotlight and will always possibly regret for what he could have had and what he has now lost. Just my own opinion. Hope I haven't offended anybody.

Well said. Why would the King threaten Jonas and his professional life? He's out of the picture now and they can go on. IF that did happen, by hypothesis, the press would sniff it out and a whole pandora's box of woes would open up. The King and Queen are too wise not to interfere with Jonas like that.
It wouldn't surprise me if Jonas would take a legal position out of Sweden to escape the scene and let things cool down. In time he'll be forgotten as in the case of Stephanie of Monaco's husband, not a peep about him from the press for several years and they were already married.

An employee can't get fired for his love life, so as long as hes good at his job he will be fine. But it may reflect badly in terms of up coming promotions, but he wont lose his job. It should only affect his personal reputation, but his professional one long term wont be tanked, (assuming he got his job on merit and not position). Just look at how many politicians cheat and are still able to carry on with there careers.
If a lawyer is hired based on the assumption that he/she will bring lots of new clients which usually is a function of who you know and the social circles you move in, and suddenly you no longer have the same ability to bring in business you most certainly can get fired. A lawyer that can not keep his family life in order will not be in line for partner in a high quality firm.

Well I think you missed the next sentence which is he won't. What I meant is that he might want to like most parents, but IMO the King is a nice guy and above that. What I meant to say is that if I was the King I would be beyond peeved like any parent would be and I would try to get him out of the spotlight or something. I do believe the king does have more power than we think. Its like power of money, prestige and authority. I can't think of any examples to compare of from the US except the Kennedys, Bushes and other wealthy families like the Hearst family. Hearst might be more relevant, but they have enough to sway people. In that I don't know if the King could get him fired, but he could make his life a living hell. I could also see Jonas being transferred out of Sweden or "layed off" due to the small social circle.

I agree with grevinnan, and IMO he has no chance of becoming a partner in a good amount of Swedish firms. It takes more than just money to buy into a partnership they need to trust you and it sounds like there is more than just cheating going on, but a whole double life. He didn't just insult the Princess, but the whole monarch who represents the country

If a lawyer is hired based on the assumption that he/she will bring lots of new clients which usually is a function of who you know and the social circles you move in, and suddenly you no longer have the same ability to bring in business you most certainly can get fired. A lawyer that can not keep his family life in order will not be in line for partner in a high quality firm.

Yes, but he already has the job, and has had it for a while, a change in status is not enough to get him fired alone there would have to be another underlining cause (such as not being good enough at what he does). However promotions and advancements may be a different story if he doesn't have the skill to overcome this. I might not be too sure on this, but I don't think he deals directly with clients or attacking them anyhow, so hes not the public face of the firm.

And as for the King getting invovled, that would be a gross overstepping and abuse of power (that he doesn't even have!), which he would get in trouble for and rightly so! You can't go around making someones life unbearable because they cheated on a love one, its immature. Everyone that lives in Sweden (and many who don't)knows what he did, that's a bigger punishment than any other ever cheater gets.

I think some people see the act in it's self of what Jonas did as being more rotten because Madeleine is a princess and it is not! He may be an idiot, but hes not any bigger of a bad guy then any other man that cheats on his girlfriend (which as the time is what she was). The only think that makes this case special is that attacks media attention. Don't take this as my not feeling bad for Madeleine because I do, he really humiliated her publicly and that must be difficult, I just think that people (not just people here but over all) are taking this to another level because shes royal. :hiding:

A bit dramatic and always the US shows report on what we already know here at TRF.

Can I just say one thing about the woman, I am so sick of these Jesse James, Tiger Woods and now Jonas woman selling their stories and saying they had no idea who he was, that he was married, etc. You knew it when you sold your story! And yes, the ultimate responsiblity is with the man who was is a committed relationship, but let's be real....he knew what was at risk...he was never going to tell anyone! So take a little responsiblity for that! And spare me the second thoughts on how sorry you are for what you did to Madeleine, Sandra and Elin...I don't buy it.

Well, the spotlight on Madeline will soon fade, it will revive a bit when Victoria gets married as we get the Poor Madeleine, what Madeleine is thinking, the tears behind the smiles stories. But I imagine she will do okay, she will throw herself into her obligations, support her sister and hopefully meet a nice guy one day and marry him.

And Jonas? I wish Jonas good will also. He will look back at this time (like Jesse James and maybe Tiger Woods not so sure about him) and realize that he had a good woman who loved him and blew it. There is no need to wish bad on him IMO. Like Sandra Bullock every move that Madeleine (moreso Madeleine because who she is) takes will be reported in the press. He will know when she meets the love of her life, when she marries and if and when she has children. No loss of job, potential law suits, etc ever are going to remove the sting of that. That he blew it...he had a good woman who loved him, a nice cushy life planned, etc and its all gone because of his actions. I think that is called Karma or at least my version of it.

Last edited:
A bit dramatic and always the US shows report on what we already know here at TRF.

Can I just say one thing about the woman, I am so sick of these Jesse James, Tiger Woods and now Jonas woman selling their stories and saying they had no idea who he was, that he was married, etc. You knew it when you sold your story! And yes, the ultimate responsiblity is with the man who was is a committed relationship, but let's be real....he knew what was at risk...he was never going to tell anyone! So take a little responsiblity for that! And spare me the second thoughts on how sorry you are for what you did to Madeleine, Sandra and Elin...I don't buy it.

Well, the spotlight on Madeline will soon fade, it will revive a bit when Victoria gets married as we get the Poor Madeleine, what Madeleine is thinking, the tears behind the smiles stories. But I imagine she will do okay, she will throw herself into her obligations, support her sister and hopefully meet a nice guy one day and marry him.

And Jonas? I wish Jonas good will also. He will look back at this time (like Jesse James and maybe Tiger Woods not so sure about him) and realize that he had a good woman who loved him and blew it. There is no need to wish bad on him IMO. Like Sandra Bullock every move that Madeleine (moreso Madeleine because who she is) takes will be reported in the press. He will know when she meets the love of her life, when she marries and if and when she has children. No loss of job, potential law suits, etc ever are going to remove the sting of that. That he blew it...he had a good woman who loved him, a nice cushy life planned, etc and its all gone because of his actions. I think that is called Karma or at least my version of it.

:ohmy:Wow! I completely agree. I don't think anyone said the way you said it Zonk. These women are foolish and I blame the men for being so stupid! In a way I do feel bad for Jonas because he will never escape "knowing" whats going on with Madeleine. He will see her life move forward. I think Tiger Woods, Jesse James, Jonas Bergstrom and whole army of men who have yet to get caught, are STUPID. The sad thing is they will probably realize what they have when its too late:bang:. I feel sorry for them:sad:.

As much as Carl Gustaf would like to have Jonas guillotined- there is nothing he can do about it. If this was a few hundred years ago- Jonas' head would be on a pike outside Dottringholm by now.

Jonas will have to live with this for the rest of his life. This is now public record and no matter where he goes- all it takes is for someone to do a Google search on his name and the whole sordid thing will be before them.

Jonas can be assured that he will be dating no one anytime soon (or even ever) that will be interested in Jonas Bergstrom the person. It will be publicity hungry women from now on. Any serious prospect will, like someone else said in this thread, think what the chances of him staying loyal to her are given than he cheated on his beautiful, vibrant partner of many years (never mind that she was a real life Princess to boot!).

Daniel is the one that is actually caught between a rock and a hard place in all of this- he seemed to be friends with Jonas and now that friendship must end. Given how close the Swedish royal siblings are I really doubt that Victoria will let them remain friends.Emma is a different story- she did not hurt CP,nor he her.

Yeah, that report was kinda dramatic, but that is American news for ya . I also highly doubt she "fled to NY." Someone made a good point about this girl who spoke to the press. She hasn't recieved much backlash yet. Which seems surprising. In the end though it was probably the only she could do and it was probably better because I don't think there is anyway for her to get a hold of the princess or the royal court. As someone said a broken engagement is better than a broken marriage. Great quote!

But still, poor Madeleine. How embarassing this must be for her. And may I just say... who in their right mind cheats on a PRINCESS OF SWEDEN?? Really! I have never liked Jonas for Madde. He seemed sleazy to me from the start.

As time goes by and we do not really know what was their relationship really like, I dont see a problem for them staying "friends" one day. I know quite some people who even after their divorce stayed friends. That would be a prove that they handeled it all well and most important in a mature way. But I have to agree that this is difficult, even more when the press is involved all the time.

He cheated on her. Would you stay friends with a man who cheated on you?

Depending on how we were in the relationship, and how it ended, they could stay friends. And i may stay friends with an ex if he cheated on me, depending on how everything ended. :)

Will Jonas come to the wedding of Victoria and Daniel?

I cant imagine he would go now. Even though he is a good friend of Daniel's, it would be too much of a distraction, the King and Queen wouldnt allow it I dont think.

I would be surprised if he was ever seen again at a royal event or at an event that the Swedish royals attend.

I do think he will face some pretty strong public condemnation for some time to come.

Apparently he is still on the guest list
Google Translate

Whether he will come is a different matter. :whistling:

As time goes by and we do not really know what was their relationship really like, I dont see a problem for them staying "friends" one day. I know quite some people who even after their divorce stayed friends. That would be a prove that they handeled it all well and most important in a mature way. But I have to agree that this is difficult, even more when the press is involved all the time.

Depending on how we were in the relationship, and how it ended, they could stay friends. And i may stay friends with an ex if he cheated on me, depending on how everything ended. :)

He cheated on her. Would you stay friends with a man who cheated on you?

At this point in the relationship, they won't be friends. It'll take some time for that to happen. The only way I can see them being friends again is if Jonas and Daniel remain good friends. If Jonas is isolated from the royal family then I doubt there will be friendship in the future. I remained friends with my ex because he and my brother are best friends. So it just depends on the degree of the situation. I've read more than once, from royal court personnel, that Madeleine is very decisive and once she's made up her mind, it made up. That may not be a good thing for Jonas:).

I think even if Jonas is still invited to the wedding it would be respectful of him not to go.

There's no way I could be friends with a man who cheated on me. Being cheated on is the ultimate sign of disrespect. If you can't respect me as your girlfriend, you surely can't respect me as just a friend.

Obviously everyone's lives are different and what works for you, works for you.....but I couldn't do it. I can't and won't associate with people who would treat me like that.

Jonas will have to live with this for the rest of his life. This is now public record and no matter where he goes- all it takes is for someone to do a Google search on his name and the whole sordid thing will be before them.

Jonas can be assured that he will be dating no one anytime soon (or even ever) that will be interested in Jonas Bergstrom the person. It will be publicity hungry women from now on. Any serious prospect will, like someone else said in this thread, think what the chances of him staying loyal to her are given than he cheated on his beautiful, vibrant partner of many years (never mind that she was a real life Princess to boot!).
Ah! But there ARE women out there who thrive on this sort of thing. Russo thinks to John Bryan and Fergie where after their photos were all over the place Mr. John had invitations into bedrooms of all sorts of loose titled women. Princess Hermine de Clermont-Tonnerre comes to mind . . .:whistling:

Jonas attending the wedding is absurd. I think he will be a distraction. It would be best to just forget, move on and don't show up at the wedding. Jonas should have known all of this before he made his wild decisions.

Back
Top Bottom