The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Courtier

It is sad; they were together for 8 years.

I commend the Royal Family in the their actions and decisions.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

I´m one who has always liked Daniel more than Jonas... actually I have never liked Jonas, because I have thought that he loved the Duke title more than Madeleine.
Hola! La Casa Real sueca anuncia oficialmente la ruptura del compromiso matrimonial de la princesa Magdalena de Suecia y Jonas Bergström

Old 04-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Courtier

I feel so incredibly sorry for her and can imagine how she must feel now. What hell it must be for her now that the wedding preparations for her sister have reached the hot phase. In situations like this I don't envy people who live in the limelight. We should give her the time to regenerate and leave her alone.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
This story tells very well that you never know about someone. I recognize the comments for the two engagements last year and everyone favored Jonas as a fiancee for a princess than Daniel. And now we see that the so very well educated and sophisticated young guy has done the worst thing he could ever do and the less educated and comming from the little town Ocklebro Daniel is doing a much better job.
Fathers money and high education doesn't help tho get a character.
really thanks for this valuable post , I was thinking the same regarding Daniel and Jonas (preferring the 2nd as royal husband )
His soul was too great to be contained by the camera's lens ,yet his images radiate his love for his family , his faith , his pride on his country and people the world over who shared his commitment to peace and his joy in life . Queen Noor
Old 04-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I was also quite shocked as I heard about the news. Well, on the surface they made without a doubt a wonderful couple... Whatever problems led to this break off it must have been insurmountable problems. And therefore it is really better that they decided not to marry... Madeleine is only 27 - IMO she still has quite a few years to find her real soulmate.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Nobility

While I agree that it takes two to tango it only takes one person to cheat.You are never driven or forced to do it.It is of your own volition that you choose to cheat and usually because you don't have the balls to leave the relationship in the first place.This was Jonas's choice and his alone .As for Daniel I think that the primary qualification you need to be a Prince consort is to love your wife.Everything else is just a skill you can learn just as all the crown Princesses have shown, eg: Mathilde maxima and Mary have demonstrated.It is a difficult task to be a sovereign but to know that when you come home at the end of your day you are met by a spouse that loves and supports you that is the ultimate task of a spouse.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I agree with the posters saying Jonas' duplicity may make Daniel look good in comparison, but that doesn't make him anymore qualified/suitable.
And according to the poster who's post I replied to, they seem to think someone lacking a decent moral centre is better qualified because they are 'apparently', sophisticated and smart.

To make possible assumptions about Daniel, or his virtue as an honourable partner, is quite out of line. And should a consort not be consort first and foremost for their honourable commitment to their spouse? I believe so!

Quote:
Again, According to reports, Madeleine was willing to marry Jonas even after learning of his infidelity, so that answers your question (or maybe you think Madeleine is brainless?).
Yes, in that instance it would have certainly been naive of her if she thought he'd either change or that she'd be able to move on from it, herself. Once doubt creeps it's way in to a relationship, it stays for a long time and in many circumstances, it often never leaves. Brainless? No. Idealistic? Yes.

Quote:
Aslo, cheaters are good at lying, by definition, so they can go on living double lives for a long time before being found out.
That's very true. But every dog has their day.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Madeleine on her way to board an SAS flight to New York from Arlanda airport.
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Old 04-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Courtier

i think its been in the pipeline for a long time (well, a couple of weeks), and they just chose not to announce it until she was out of the country. The palace probably announced that they were together and should be left alone because she wanted to leave first and not deal with the pressure and media. They probably just announced that to give her some respite, and then a few days later they announce that its over so she can have peace in usa.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow poor Madeleine! At least she knows now rather than later than when they're married with children.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Royal Highness

Like others have said I am very sad for Madeleine. Even if she made the decision to break off the engagement it will still hurt her deeply to see their 8 years go down the drain.

However I hope for Victoria's sake this all dies down before her wedding. I'm sure the day will be one of happiness and maybe slight sadness for Madeleine thinking about what could have been
Old 04-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Nobility

Open secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
I was also quite shocked as I heard about the news. Well, on the surface they made without a doubt a wonderful couple... Whatever problems led to this break off it must have been insurmountable problems. And therefore it is really better that they decided not to marry... Madeleine is only 27 - IMO she still has quite a few years to find her real soulmate.
It has been well known since last fall, when the last time the pair were together at a public event, that there were cracks in the relationship between the princess and Jonas Bergström.Prinsessan have been indignant at the fact that Jonas is working and partying instead of spending time with her and the Royal family. Meanwhile, the rumor that the Jonas Bergström, a man who stays with more women become increasingly strong. For my own part was not the issue if they were separate, but when ...
Old 04-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Moderator Emeritus

That so sad... I feel very bad for Madeleine now.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Aristocracy

better now than after the wedding...
Old 04-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Like lots of other people here, I am shocked and very moved by the whole sad story. As much as we like to speculate on rumours in the media, something gives us hope that all will be well even if we think there is a problem, yet when reality strikes it's still a great surprise. I do feel for Madeleine, especially seeing the pictures of her at the airport, head held high on her way to escape the attention. In a strange way, I feel abit for Jonas, if he has tried to appeal to Madeleine to stay together following an affair. He has possibly thrown away the chances of great happiness and one day will realise what he has lost. I think the announcement came at exactly the right time to ensure a smooth wedding for Victoria and Daniel.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well I agree better now than divorce and she will get along with life quite quickly as she's had quite a while to manage the whole situation before the media announcement let's hope she doesn't do a Princess Margaret though that would be sad IMO
Old 04-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
While I agree that it takes two to tango it only takes one person to cheat.You are never driven or forced to do it.It is of your own volition that you choose to cheat and usually because you don't have the balls to leave the relationship in the first place.This was Jonas's choice and his alone .As for Daniel I think that the primary qualification you need to be a Prince consort is to love your wife.Everything else is just a skill you can learn just as all the crown Princesses have shown, eg: Mathilde maxima and Mary have demonstrated.It is a difficult task to be a sovereign but to know that when you come home at the end of your day you are met by a spouse that loves and supports you that is the ultimate task of a spouse.
I agree with you 100% and you have worded this situation perfectly. Without complete love and integrity in a marriage, it just isn't worth the paper it is written on.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
And according to the poster who's post I replied to, they seem to think someone lacking a decent moral centre is better qualified because they are 'apparently', sophisticated and smart.

To make possible assumptions about Daniel, or his virtue as an honourable partner, is quite out of line. And should a consort not be consort first and foremost for their honourable commitment to their spouse? I believe so!
Well, I don't share that 'Barbara Cartland' view of monarchy. When it comes to royal marriages, my view is that love isn't all you need.
We're not just talking about an union between two people but a lifelong commitment to public service and being an ambassador to an entire nation. It takes a bit more than being a nice guy, which is why I have still my reservations on Daniel.
As for Jonas, he looked 'good' on paper (good presentation, clever, worldly) but apparently didn't have enough impulse control and the moral fiber necessary to be a good husband. Daniel seems the exact opposite (good husband material, poor presentation, lack of education, always looks out of place).

I would agree however that loyalty is a prime quality you must possess if you are to enter any royal family. So far, Jonas seems to have failed miserably while Daniel has passed the test. So far...

Old 04-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Nobility

This may sound cynical, but I have to wonder if the story about Jonas having a fling with the Norwegian woman (whether or not it's true) may have been played up as part of the royal house's strategy for announcing this break up.

It certainly offers a convenient way to make Jonas the bad guy and Madeleine the victim, which helps maintain her image and builds public sentiment for her.

Just seems a little strange to me that the media found the woman he supposedly cheated with -- more than a year ago -- the same week the queen made her comment about the wedding being postponed until next year. (It's especially odd if it's true that the tabloids had this story months ago.) And all of this happened the week Madeleine is leaving the country.

The whole thing seems a little too convenient to have happened by chance.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

New information of Tora, she told to Se og Hor:
Tora and Jonas exchanged phone numbers while they met in Åre. Jonas introduced himself as Jacob Bernström. Soon Tora realised that Jacob was Jonas. She sent Jonas many text messages: Why did you pretend to be someone else? Jonas never answered.
Nytt avslöjande i Norge - Toras sms till Jonas - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen

Tags
engagement, princess madeleine