The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Bunte print has an article about the move to London, they claim its for tax reasons: In Sweden, Chris' tax data would have become public knowledge while in London its anonymous. As Chris himself has hinted in an interview, not all businesses are going well. Some of them lose money, his brother in law had to help. They also claim that Chris is doing business with shady companies located in tax havens, letterbox companies. Considering what is happening in Switzerland and a worldwide crackdown on tax evasion going on, Chris' business is a risky business and won't make him any more popular.

Bunte claims that Chris & Madde are moving into a house that is owned by Chris' mother.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Bunte print has an article about the move to London, they claim its for tax reasons: In Sweden, Chris' tax data would have become public knowledge while in London its anonymous. As Chris himself has hinted in an interview, not all businesses are going well. Some of them lose money, his brother in law had to help. They also claim that Chris is doing business with shady companies located in tax havens, letterbox companies. Considering what is happening in Switzerland and a worldwide crackdown on tax evasion going on, Chris' business is a risky business and won't make him any more popular.
If that is true, it doesn't sound good. Chris might end up becoming toxic for the royal family.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Bunte claims that Chris & Madde are moving into a house that is owned by Chris' mother.
There is nothing new, similar thoughts have circulated in swedish press and forums too. And already earlier the swedish and german press wrote about Chris' companies having connections to tax haven companies.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
There is nothing new, similar thoughts have circulated in swedish press and forums too. And already earlier the swedish and german press wrote about Chris' companies having connections to tax haven companies.

My fear is that Chris may drag Madeleine into one of his "shady businesses" and she may end up having legal troubles, just like Infanta Cristina and Iaki.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Aristocracy

I do not believe there is anything shady about Chris's businesses. He is utilizing structures that are 100% legal (offshore locations, tax advantages) and very common among the financial industry. Yet, the common public does not understand these structures and criticizes them without being fully informed.
I think Chris and Madde made the right choice in deciding to move to the UK. He should be somehow transparent in what he does and make sure the annual reports and filings are done on time.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Majesty

It must be galling for Chris to have his private and business affairs trawled through. Are these persons the Inland Revenue representatives of the respective countries? Of course, they are not, they are paparazzi who print what they like.

Chris must feel humiliated that both his business and private affairs are common gossip fodder and that his personal honour and integrity is being impugned with no defence from the SRF. It seems that transperency is your friend and if you are then you have nothing to worry about. Wrong! Absolutely wrong!

The continued speculation that he is "fiddling his taxes" must burn him up. People who are both unqualified and largely uninformed are intimating that all is not well with his business. Hints that he is involved in companies that practice Tax Evasion as opposed to Tax Avoidance continue to harm his business prospects as the paparazzi fail to comprehend the basic financial fact that the former is illegal and the latter is not.

The ongoing attacks on his personal integrity and that of his wife must be hard to swallow without lashing out. Not surprisingly, he has decided to decamp to a country where his wife's position does not necessitate his business being trawled through nor speculated over. As things stand, the continued assault on his business ethics can do nothing but undermine his company, after all, who wants to deal with someone with a big questionmark over the legality or dodgy ethics of their business.

As to Madeleine? What loving husband cannot want to protect his wife from the nasty slings and arrows that seem to be continually raining down on her head. He must want her safe and happy with her privacy preserved from prying eyes and raising their children in a happy and safe environment. In London, she is just another Princess.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Commoner

Please bear with me, I am writing a long post.

All these negative stuff on Chris by the Press, Expressen, Bunte are not doing any good for him, killing his reputation is causing lots of damage to him as a businessman. He has mentioned repeatedly that he is in a unique and delicate position, what he is trying to say is his lips are sealed, he can't reveal anything at all to anyone including Madde and his family.

People working in Finance will understand him because privacy and confidentiality are two most important factors that all working in Finance need to uphold. Chris cannot open his big mouth and telling people or the Press what they want, what his companies are doing, what kind of investments, who are his clients? If he talks, all his clients will lose faith and confidence in him and everyone will run away from him, no one wants to do business with him anymore. One word from one person/client will spread like wildfire and the whole Finance Sector will know and he will be kicked out. His business will fail and then Mr O'Neill ends up jobless. So people in Sweden or whoever it is, do you really want this to happen? Do you know how lucky you are that he remains a private person and does not get a single cent from Sweden.

I think all these criticisms directed towards Chris is because of Madde. She is unpopular and people do not like her. I feel for her as I think she has become more matured and has changed to a better person. Why no one wants to give her a chance? Lots of people, especially Sofia's fans, said that we need to forgive her and forget her past, she has changed and improved. But where is this forgiveness, we can forgive Sofia but cannot forgive Madde? Is Madde really condemned for her whole life? She cannot enjoy happiness and peace, the Press really digging and dragging her and Chris down.

BTW, I think the people in Sweden seemed to know what's right or wrong. Madde received lots of positive comments in her facebook, her new profile pic posted had lots of good wishes and compliments from Swedes. Some even posted good wishes for her and Chris and supporting her move to London. People in Sweden are not dumb, they know what's really going on.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that if Chris didn't expect public scrutiny after his marriage, particularly as he works in the financial sector, then he was deluding himself.

I think that if they'd chosen not to take royal titles for their children and Princess Madeleine had stepped away from receiving an allowance from the royal family, it would be easier on them.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think Chris is partly victim of the worldwide anti-sentiment against investment banking and tax evasion, as people within this business have enriched themselves at the cost of ordinary taxpayers for too long. Plus Madde is not popular for various reasons.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Princess Madeleine had stepped away from receiving an allowance from the royal family, it would be easier on them.
Madeleine gets her expenses paid (tickets, dresses used) when doing official royal duties, the same as prince Carl Philip (and his future wife when they are married), so why should Madeleine pay for those expenses from her own pocket while her brother gets an allowance doing the same duties? Victoria gets her own appanage for her and her husband's expenses. Of course Madeleine could stay away and not do any royal duties and have no expenses, but then she would be criticised for that.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning writes that Madeleine and Chris are looking for a rental apartment in London, because of the high housing prices.
Chris och Madeleine hyr nya hemmet i London _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

In their paper issue Svensk Damtidning tells that an apartment of the same size Madeleine and family are having at the Royal Mews now, would cost in London about SEK 60 million, about GBP 4,4 million.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I thought that Chris said that they already have a house (I remember because he stated that the house in question is not his mother's house)?

Strange to look for an appartement now, and yes, the breadwinner of the family has to work a lot to afford that.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I thought that Chris said that they already have a house (I remember because he stated that the house in question is not his mother's house)?

Strange to look for an appartement now, and yes, the breadwinner of the family has to work a lot to afford that.
I don't think that Svensk Damtidning knows if Chris and Madeleine have already an apartment/future home, they are just writing in a at a general level, that they are renting an apartment and not buying one.
It would seem reasonable that they already have an apartment, because Chris said at the "breadwinner"-interview, that Madeleine and the children are moving in early autumn, before the christening of Nicolas. He also gave the impression that they already have an apartment in London.
I also think that Expressen or Bunte digs soon out where they are going to live, how much is the rent, how much Chris loaned from the bank...
Old 08-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Heir Apparent

London is mega expensive even for royals. Makes a lot of sense for the couple to rent rather than try and buy a house outright.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

It is even more strange when you consider that the official explanation from the Royal Court for Chris moving early to London (back in April) was precisely "to find suitable accommodation for the family". One would assume that, after 3 months or so, he would have already found an apartment the family could afford to buy or rent.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Margareta Thorgren confirmed to Expressen that Madeleine and the children have moved to London. Thorgren says that the move happened just recently and the family is now settling down in their new home in London. There isn't yet any official document registered at the registry office that Princess Madeleine with the kids Princess Leonore and Prince Nicolas has moved from Sweden.
Will Princess Leonore go to kindergarten in London?
- Something like that is not decided in the current situation. Now the family settles down in their new home in London, says Thorgren.
Madeleine och Chris har flyttat frn landet _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation
Old 08-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I thoguht that ,as the christening is set in October, they wouldn't go anywhere and would stay in Sweden until the child would be baptised... Oh well,I was wrong.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:45 PM
Nobility

There is the question of the children living abroad. Isn't there a residency requirement for Swedish royals in order to be successors to the throne?
Old 08-25-2015, 07:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
There is the question of the children living abroad. Isn't there a residency requirement for Swedish royals in order to be successors to the throne?

It has apparently been interpreted by The Court as that they have to have a Swedish education.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-26-2015, 08:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Does it really matter anyway? Not likely they will be needed for the line of succession especially if CP and Sofia have children.

LaRae

Tags
chris o'neill, london, princess leonore, princess madeleine