The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Good grief, The man's finances should be his own and private He is not a public figure, just married one. Yes he did inherit money from family, no one's business [except his wife's] As long as he can pay bills and not asking for public hand-outs, good for him. Don't know anything about the man personally, but he seems to be doing well and the way he and wife wants it. Hope they are both happy, healthy and content.
I agree that his personal finances are nobody's business. Personally, I have an issue though with his infamous "breadwinner" interview, as I found it demeaning to his wife.

If the figures that LadyFinn quoted are accurate, Madeleine's inheritance from Prince Bertil alone would exceed Chris' net worth and she probably has other assets as well as her net worth at the time of her wedding was estimated as being at least 3 times what she had inherited. I don't know how that would translate into actual income, but clearly Chris and Madeleine are much closer to "equals" as far as personal wealth is concerned than a "breadwinner" vs "housewife" situation.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Good grief, The man's finances should be his own and private He is not a public figure, just married one. Yes he did inherit money from family, no one's business [except his wife's] As long as he can pay bills and not asking for public hand-outs, good for him. Don't know anything about the man personally, but he seems to be doing well and the way he and wife wants it. Hope they are both happy, healthy and content.
Chris' finances came under scrutiny because he 'forgot' to pay taxes in the US and he didnt want to live in Sweden permanently, because in this case his income/taxes would have become public knowledge.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If the figures that LadyFinn quoted are accurate, Madeleine's inheritance from Prince Bertil alone would exceed Chris' net worth and she probably has other assets as well as her net worth at the time of her wedding was estimated as being at least 3 times what she had inherited. I don't know how that would translate into actual income, but clearly Chris and Madeleine are much closer to "equals" as far as personal wealth is concerned than a "breadwinner" vs "housewife" situation.
At Expressen's researches they found out that Chris's father Paul O'Neill had had a fortune with company AEON Management Establishment in tax haven in Liechtenstein, that was totally outside his official testament. The assets consisted of large stakes in a variety of American and English companies. Chris and his sisters started take money out from the company in 2012. The company was empty in 2014 and the siblings closed the company. How much money was at the company, that isn't known.
Chris okända rikedom i skatteparadiset _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation
Old 09-18-2015, 04:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Chris is self-employed, isn't he ? I guess that pretty much rules out his expenses being charged to his business.

Chris' finances are indeed shrouded in mystery. There have been reports in the past that his business ventures were not doing so well and he might even have had some financial trouble, but no concrete evidence has ever shown up. Madeleine, on the other hand, is a millionaire in her own right and might be footing part of the bill. There is always speculation that she may also get some money from her father although, if she does, the money probably comes from Carl Gustaf's private funds and not from the State appanage.

The appanage itself is a block grant paid to the Royal Court of Sweden and currently divided up between the King's Household, the Queen Consort's Household, the Crown Princess' Household, and the Royal Mews. A separate block grant is destined to the maintenance and operation of the Royal Palaces. Madeleine and CP do not get any money directly from the Swedish taxpayers, although they may be reimbursed from appanage money when they perform official duties on behalf of the King. As mentioned before, Madeleine's wedding and the renovation of her apartment in the Royal Mews were partially paid for with State funds.

Royal Finances - Sveriges Kungahus
I disagree. People that are selfemployed are the ones that mostly write it off as buissness. Like the family car because you also need the car for work etc.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I disagree. People that are selfemployed are the ones that mostly write it off as buissness. Like the family car because you also need the car for work etc.
What I meant is that, if he wrote it off to his business, he would ultimately be charging his expenses to himself as he is actually his own business. It is not like "perks" that big corporation employees have where their companies actually pay their rent, or give them a car, etc.

I must admit though that, since I am just an academic, I don't understand much about the corporate world.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
What I meant is that, if he wrote it off to his business, he would ultimately be charging his expensives to himself as he is actually his own business. It is not like "perks" that big corporation employees have where their companies actually pay their rent, or give them a car, etc.

I must admit though that, since I am just an academic, I don't understand much about the corporate world.
True, but they get tax cuts for it. At least here. If you buy through a company you don't have to add the taxes.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I think Chris and perhaps even the SRF itself were more than a little unprepared for the gross intrusion into Chris's life and, in particular, his private finances. I think that naivety was the final nail in the coffin of living happily ever after in Sweden, After all, who wants every man and his dog knowing his private affairs. Certainly here and in many other countries, such an intrusion would be deemed utterly disgusting and not a little vulgar.

Chris doesn't strike me as an overly gregarious sort of person but rather a very private man with a somewhat reserved manner. To such a person, having your private business headlining the scandal rags must have been deeply humiliating and that is not because he is or was hiding anything or was up to some nefarious financial skulduggery, but just because his family's privacy was violated on all levels.

As to those still hung up on "the breadwinner" comment, take it as it was meant, namely that he and Madeleine were not primarily royals and he was going to continue working and Madeleine, who has never even had a job let alone a career, was lucky enough to stay home with the children.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

What kind of a weird article was quoted here? With "pompous" windows in their living room? How do the reporters know what kind of wallpaper and curtains are in their apartment?

To clarify, it is much better to have an expense billed to your company, like a car, than to write it off if you are self employed, that simply reduces your tax burden to the percentage of your income that is taxed. If you are in the fifty percent tax bracket for example, fifty percent of the item would be deducted from your taxes, not 100 per cent
Old 09-19-2015, 12:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
What kind of a weird article was quoted here? With "pompous" windows in their living room?
I saw that, too. Huh?
Old 09-19-2015, 01:06 AM
Majesty

How do "pompous" windows look, as opposed to, say..demure ones?

Anyone can sketch us some photos??

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-19-2015, 01:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
How do "pompous" windows look, as opposed to, say..demure ones?

Anyone can sketch us some photos??
It is funny. Maybe they were trying to say 'prominent windows'.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:35 AM
Majesty

Lady N., I'd like to give the author the benefit of the doubt. But knowing the snide, accusatory tone the European press seems to customarily take with Chris and Madeleine, I tend to believe there was no gaffe.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-19-2015, 02:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

I wrote that "pompous" windows. I would like to kindly remind everyone, that english isn't everyone's native language here and our text isn't perfect. I have to use a dictionary sometimes when I write in english. Like I used this time when I read that swedish article and wrote that then in english. Maybe my choice of word wasn't perfectly correct, but perhaps that window thing wasn't the most important thing at the article.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:33 AM
Courtier

I don't believe and it might be my being niave LadyFinn that anyone meant to criticise your translation. I have always found your post's interesting and insightful and I doubt I am alone. However I suspect that some posters myself included would like to have a word with some journalists and tell them to write better print. I suspect the posters thought it was a direct quote from a journalist and not a fellow poster. I have to thank you or the translator for the 'pompous windows' quote however as it did make me smile :)
Old 09-19-2015, 04:37 AM
Serene Highness

Princess Madeleine and Family Moving to London, 2015

While not being a first language English speaker myself I must say that your English always looks very good and correct to me Ladyfinn. I always enjoy reading your insightful and spot on posts so keep up the good work.

Btw I just read the article in SDT and I'd translate the windows as being "grand" or "imposing" instead of pompous.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-19-2015, 04:40 AM
Courtier

I also should have said LadyFinn that part of one of my first degrees is in English Literature and it is my first language. I believe your English is excellent. Please don't keep going because I would miss your posts immensely.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I wrote that "pompous" windows. I would like to kindly remind everyone, that english isn't everyone's native language here and our text isn't perfect. I have to use a dictionary sometimes when I write in english. Like I used this time when I read that swedish article and wrote that then in english. Maybe my choice of word wasn't perfectly correct, but perhaps that window thing wasn't the most important thing at the article.
Had not been aware that you are actually doing the translations, LadyFinn. As some posters mentioned, I was one who thought it was a direct quote in English. Sorry about that. The vagaries of language! And thank you for your translation!!!!

BTW, the translation of pompous would be along the lines of 'self important', basically describing someone who thinks they are better than others, but in a very stuffy way. A blowhard. So as you can see the choice of that word conveyed a lot of baggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Btw I just read the article in SDT and I'd translate the windows as being "grand" or "imposing" instead of pompous.
So when I suggested 'prominent window' I was close to the mark.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Courtier

LadyFinn is a legend and goes out of her way to post interesting and unusual things that I know living in England that I would never know about if it was not for her.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Off topic, but some of us for whom English is a first language have problems with composition. UK grammar and US grammar do not always agree. Heaven knows about other countries that choose English as a first language and their choices about gerunds, participles, spelling, etc.

And I for one (there are others) cannot type to save my soul. So there is a lot potential for error and for us to be generous toward one another and our posts. At least I hope so.

Post away politely, all and a hat off to all of those you brave enough to put yourself out there in English.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I also think you have very good English, LadyFinn. Even I as a native English speaker make mistakes every now and then.
I am impressed that you translate all the articles you post yourself, most of the time I have no trouble in understanding them. I think it is nice when our members do this as it's more accurate than Google Translate and other internet translations, which I often use.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank

Tags
chris o'neill, london, princess leonore, princess madeleine