Princess Madeleine & Family Moving to Florida: August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyFinn

Imperial Majesty
City
Southwest
Country
Finland
Press release from the royal court

Princess Madeleine and Mr. Christopher O'Neill settle in the United States
Princess Madeleine and Mr. Christopher O'Neill are planning to move to Florida in the United States this autumn for some time to come.
The time and opportunity for the United States is good for the family when the children are still in pre-school age.
Princess Madeleine has a great commitment to children's rights and will continue working with the World Childhood Foundation and, through the move, be able to focus more on the activities in the United States.
Mr. Christopher O'Neill has previously been working in the United States but will continue his business also in Europe.
The family thus leaves the accommodation in London but has an apartment in Stockholm as before.
Prinsessan Madeleine och herr Christopher O'Neill bosätter sig i USA - Sveriges Kungahus

HQ version of the photo by Anna-Lena Ahlström
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...iden_FotoAnna_Lena_Ahlström_Kungahuset.se.jpg

Margareta Thorgren to Svensk Damtidning:
- The family has been planning this for some time, they are grateful and happy that it suits all family members to move right now.
Hovet meddelar_ Madeleine och Chris flyttar till USA _ Svensk Damtidning

In Expressen:
Madeleine and Chris move to Florida - left Sweden yesterday
Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill move to Florida.
The family is already in the United States.
- They move to Florida because it's a good starting point for Chris's business, and the children are still in pre-school age, says Margaret Thorgren.
How long the family will live in the United States is not yet decided.
- There is no time limit, says Thorgren.
Details of where in Florida the family settles, Thorgren does not want to give up for respect for their privacy.
- It is of course surprising for many, but at the same time quite natural that they move to Florida. Chris has a house there and they will probably live there. The hope is that they will have it quieter there. Chris has a job he can handle from anywhere in the world, says Karin Lennmor, Expressen's Royal Expert.
Madeleine och Chris flyttar till Florida –*lämnade Sverige i går _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Last edited:
I am starting to get a feeling that Madeleine won't be moving to Sweden permanently even when Leonore starts school. It'll be interesting to see how the king would handle that situation if it indeed happens (ie. Not moving).

Margareta Thogren to Svensk Damtidning:
- The move is underway and this has been planned for some time. The main reason is that it is a good time for the family because the children are still small. Chris has more or less grown up in the United States, so for him it's like coming home.
Chris, who has dual citizenship (American and British) has had his business there previously. For princess Madeleine, the move means she will have more time for World Childhood Foundation.
- Childhood is an organization that the princess has worked with earlier and through the move she will be able to focus more on the business in the US, said Margareta Thorgren.
Will the children go to a Swedish or English-speaking preschool?
- We don't have any information about that right now.
Därför flyttar Madeleine och Chris till USA _ Svensk Damtidning

Princess Madeleine and Mr. Christopher O'Neill are planning to move to Florida in the United States this autumn for some time to come.
The time and opportunity for the United States is good for the family when the children are still in pre-school age.
Princess Madeleine has a great commitment to children's rights and will continue working with the World Childhood Foundation and, through the move, be able to focus more on the activities in the United States.
Mr. Christopher O'Neill has previously been working in the United States but will continue his business also in Europe.
The family thus leaves the accommodation in London but has an apartment in Stockholm as before.
Prinsessan Madeleine och herr Christopher O'Neill bosätter sig i USA - Sveriges Kungahus

https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...iden_FotoAnna_Lena_Ahlström_Kungahuset.se.jpg

- The family has been planning this for some time, they are grateful and happy that it suits all family members to move right now.

In Expressen:
- They move to Florida because it's a good starting point for Chris's business, and the children are still in pre-school age, says Margaret Thorgren.
Details of where in Florida the family settles, Thorgren does not want to give up for respect for their privacy.
- It is of course surprising for many, but at the same time quite natural that they move to Florida. Chris has a house there and they will probably live there. The hope is that they will have it quieter there. Chris has a job he can handle from anywhere in the world, says Karin Lennmor, Expressen's Royal Expert.
Madeleine och Chris flyttar till Florida –*lämnade Sverige i går _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Well, that is certainly a setback to Madeleine’s plans to stay closer to Sweden and move permanently back to the country in a near future.

I guess we will see even less of Madeleine in official events in Sweden and that the Act of Succession will be ultimately enforced and her children will forefeit their succession rights to the throne. It remains to be seen though if they will be also stripped of their HRHs.

This is what, interesting a move to Florida of all places. I know Chris has a business and that he can do it just about anywhere, yet Florida is not the financial capital of the world to say the least. Wasn't the move to London to be closer to his work from New York City? I read he did not want to move to Sweden so that is why London was chosen yet now Florida? New York City it would seem would be the place to pick up his business or even Hong Kong but Florida.......okay, is he retiring now and wants the sand,sun and beaches, it is great for kids but people that are world wide citizens whom are out in society at events where they are seen and written about..........not sure that holds true for Florida.....:lol::ermm:

In Expressen:

Margareta Thogren to Svensk Damtidning:
- The move is underway and this has been planned for some time. The main reason is that it is a good time for the family because the children are still small. Chris has more or less grown up in the United States, so for him it's like coming home.
Chris, who has dual citizenship (American and British) has had his business there previously. For princess Madeleine, the move means she will have more time for World Childhood Foundation.
- Childhood is an organization that the princess has worked with earlier and through the move she will be able to focus more on the business in the US, said Margareta Thorgren.
Will the children go to a Swedish or English-speaking preschool?
- We don't have any information about that right now.
Därför flyttar Madeleine och Chris till USA _ Svensk Damtidning

It is somewhat unexpected given that Princess Leonore and Prince Nicolas had been attending a Swedish preschool and that Princess Madeleine told an interviewer last year that she missed Sweden and moving back was a matter of "when, not if". Based on Margareta Thorgren's statements "They move to Florida because it's a good starting point for Chris's business" and "Chris has more or less grown up in the United States, so for him it's like coming home", the decision seems to have been made because it was best for Chris O'Neill.

I wonder what Margareta Thorgren meant when she stated that it is a good time because the children are still of pre-school age.

This is what, interesting a move to Florida of all places. I know Chris has a business and that he can do it just about anywhere, yet Florida is not the financial capital of the world to say the least. Wasn't the move to London to be closer to his work from New York City? I read he did not want to move to Sweden so that is why London was chosen yet now Florida? New York City it would seem would be the place to pick up his business or even Hong Kong but Florida.......okay, is he retiring now and wants the sand,sun and beaches, it is great for kids but people that are world wide citizens whom are out in society at events where they are seen and written about..........not sure that holds true for Florida.....:lol::ermm:

Wilton Payments, where Chris works, has for years had offices in Palm Beach, Florida and in London. They had an office in Florida even then when Chris and Madeleine lived in USA.
Contact us - Wilton Payments

I would not be surprised if the press, especially the gossip press, now checks Chris's businesses again.

Last edited:
I was always under the impression that Chris worked for himself, not employed by another company so if I am wrong, my apologies. For whom did Chris work for when they lived in NYC, the same company? Yet also we know here that Madeline so wanted to move back to Sweden to be closer to her family and with children being close to school age that that was required to be in the line of succession. So now maybe they are thinking that maybe that is not what they want for the children? Yes there is lots of money in Florida with all the retired people there, I know Florida quite well yet even with family there would never consider moving there on a permanent basis, they drive so slow down there, really really slow.....:lol:

This move really comes as a surprise to me. I believed they were getting closer to moving to Sweden permanently, as Leonore and Nicolas both attended Swedish preschools, and Nicolas and Adrienne were both born in Sweden, and that it's always been a desire for Madeleine to move back there.

I know in order for the children to be in the line of succession they need to be primarily raised in Sweden (or is it attend school there)? I don't know at what point schooling starts in Sweden, but in the US, Leonore would be starting school not this summer, but next summer (Summer 2019). So would they need to move back to Sweden by then? I have heard many say that Chris has no desire to live in Sweden permanently, and that he would rather live in the UK, where he grew up, or the US, where's he had most of his working career.

I think we all know that's it's very unlikely for any of Madeleine's children to take the throne at this point, but I'm wondering what with these moves and raising the children outside of Sweden, will they keep their titles and places in the line of succession?

I was always under the impression that Chris worked for himself, not employed by another company so if I am wrong, my apologies. For whom did Chris work for when they lived in NYC, the same company? Yet also we know here that Madeline so wanted to move back to Sweden to be closer to her family and with children being close to school age that that was required to be in the line of succession. So now maybe they are thinking that maybe that is not what they want for the children? Yes there is lots of money in Florida with all the retired people there, I know Florida quite well yet even with family there would never consider moving there on a permanent basis, they drive so slow down there, really really slow.....:lol:

Chris worked for Wilton Payments already when he and Madeleine lived in New York.

In Britain the company is called Wilton Payments Limited.
Chris's brother-in-law Henry d'Abo and Chris are directors there. Chris started as a director on 30th July 2013. Henry and Chris are the main shareholders too. The swedish press has told how Henry d'Abo has put his own money during the years to the company to cover the losses.
Wilton Payments Limited CompanyCheck
"At the end of the year, the company owed 233 370 £ to d'Abo Development and Property Management Limited, a company controlled by J H E d'Abo", says the annual report. Link to my previous post:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...art-3-sep-2017-present-43151.html#post2058768

In USA the company is called Wilton Payments LLC. In some websites the company's address is the address of the villa Chris owns in Florida (he owns it with relatives)

The swedish press has told previously that Chris had another company too.
According to his Linkedin, he is MD at Wilton Payments.
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/christopher-o-neill-325176a2

Last edited:
I know in order for the children to be in the line of succession they need to be primarily raised in Sweden (or is it attend school there)? I don't know at what point schooling starts in Sweden, but in the US, Leonore would be starting school not this summer, but next summer (Summer 2019). So would they need to move back to Sweden by then? I have heard many say that Chris has no desire to live in Sweden permanently, and that he would rather live in the UK, where he grew up, or the US, where's he had most of his working career.

I think we all know that's it's very unlikely for any of Madeleine's children to take the throne at this point, but I'm wondering what with these moves and raising the children outside of Sweden, will they keep their titles and places in the line of succession?

When Leonore was born, being the king’s second grandchild I can see why it was important to make plans for securing her place in the line of succession-you need more than one in a generation, after all. But as she’s been bumped down the line and demonstrated a personality that chafes at the formality of even the kid-friendly Swedish style of royal events, I can see why Madeleine and Chris might be reevaluating how important it really is to preserve her (or her brothers’) succession rights.

We know that Madeleine struggled with being in the royal spotlight as a child; it can’t be easy to see that her daughter seems uncomfortable with it, too. And at some point, when it seems highly unlikely that these kids will need to take on royal duties as adults, it seems like overkill to make important decisions about their rearing be driven by that possibility. If I were them, the idea of raising the children someplace where they can be more anonymous would be something I’d at least want to explore at this point.

Johan T Lindwall, the editor-in-chief of Svensk Damtidning, was interviewed in Radio P4 Extra. Madeleine moving to the States wasn't a shock or surprise for Lindwall at all:

- No, we received this information already just over a month ago. It's quite logical actually that they choose to move there, they own a big house in Florida, Chris has grown up there and they have a floor left in New York. It will also be more anonymous for Madeleine to live in the United States.
Lindwall does not believe that the princess family will move home to Sweden for many, many years.
- Madeleine is too recognized here. She wants to live an anonymous life and she can really do that in Florida, where she becomes a commoner. I think Sweden as a base is far away for the family, he says, and continues:
- But they will still have their floor at the Royal Mews and will of course come home at events like Nobel and Christmas and so on. But now I think they will stay in the United States and live there for a long time to come.
In the interview in P4 extra, the distance between Sweden and Florida is also taken up. Visiting their grandchildren will not be easy for the king and the queen in the future.
- Madeleine has talked about earlier, how hard it was with the distance when she lived in New York. But today you fly smoothly between Sweden and the United States, today even direct flights are available.
Svensk Damtidnings chefredaktör Johan T. Lindwall om Madeleines flytt till USA _ Svensk Damtidning

This is what, interesting a move to Florida of all places. I know Chris has a business and that he can do it just about anywhere, yet Florida is not the financial capital of the world to say the least. Wasn't the move to London to be closer to his work from New York City? I read he did not want to move to Sweden so that is why London was chosen yet now Florida? New York City it would seem would be the place to pick up his business or even Hong Kong but Florida.......okay, is he retiring now and wants the sand,sun and beaches, it is great for kids but people that are world wide citizens whom are out in society at events where they are seen and written about..........not sure that holds true for Florida.....

Keep in mind, their home base in Florida is Palm Beach, which was put on the map by an ultra-exclusive resort back in the day. In addition to the usual retirement villages, it’s got a big concentration of retirement mansions lived in by some of the wealthiest people from all over the US. So it’s not quite the same scene as Tampa, say, or Ft. Lauderdale.

:previous:

Thanks for bringing that up, my family is on the other side of the state, Sarasota to be exact.....a very nice area, lots of money and lots of retirement communities.......great museums and art there and a world class butterfly museum of all things.......still would not want to retire there for me ever.....not a sand and beach bunny at all, give me a mountain top instead! Yet Madeline will fit right in with the Palm beach crowd......there is a wild history there .....when the Kennedy's were living there......in the news all the time.....

I wonder what Margareta Thorgren meant when she stated that it is a good time because the children are still of pre-school age.

I believe she was making an indirect reference to a statement by a previous Marshal of the Court that the clause in the Act of Succession which says that "princes and princesses of Sweden must be raised in the realm" should be interpreted as meaning that they must be living in Sweden by the time they are of "school age".

In other words, she was saying that, since the kids are still of preschool age, they can still live overseas without any adverse legal effect on their status as members of the Royal House.

Personally, I see it as wishful thinking on the part of the Court and, previously, of Madeleine herself. It seems clear to me that Chris has no interest in moving permanently to Sweden (not now, nor next year, nor anytime in the future when the children will be already of school age). Living in London was a good compromise for Madeleine because she and the kids were effectively living part-time in Sweden, at least for a few months in the year, and Leonore was even attending a Swedish preschool when she was in the country. That is gone now and Florida is even further (geographically) from Sweden than New York.

Johan T Lindwall, the editor-in-chief of Svensk Damtidning, was interviewed in Radio P4 Extra. Madeleine moving to the States wasn't a shock or surprise for Lindwall at all:

[...]
- Madeleine is too recognized here. She wants to live an anonymous life and she can really do that in Florida, where she becomes a commoner. I think Sweden as a base is far away for the family, he says, and continues:
- But they will still have their floor at the Royal Mews and will of course come home at events like Nobel and Christmas and so on.

Madeleine is perfectly entitled to live "an anonymous life" and "become a commoner", but. at the same time, she keeps a twitter account under the name "Princess Madeleine of Sweden" and insists that her children be "HRH Prince/Princess xxx of Sweden, Duke/Duchess of xxx" and in the line of succession to the throne. And she also shows up occasionally to morph into the glamorous princess decked in Bernadotte jewels when it is convenient for her to do so. I mean, she shouldn't cherry-pick to have it both ways, should she ?

Last edited:
From Svensk Damtidning:
Today, the court confirmed that princess Madeleine and husband Chris will move to the United States together with their three children, news that Svensk Damtidning has known for a long time.
From the beginning there was only a small group in the court who knew about the princess family's planned move to Florida, USA. The news was really only intended to be published later when the schools start again, but as the information had begun to leak, the court decided to give a press release.
Svensk Damtidning avslöjar_ spelet bakom Madeleines och Chris flytt till USA* _ Svensk Damtidning

EDIT: I wrote previously today that the press would start to look at Chris's businesses in connection of this move.
It only took a couple of hours:
Chris O'Neill has had enough - leaves everything because of USA
According to Stoppa Pressarna, the real reason to the move is Chris O'Neill's business. He has had enough of London where his business has not developed in the direction he wanted. The princess's husband's company Wilton Payments has been often rescued from bankruptcy by his brother-in-law, who has invested in more capital. It's about millions SEK.
- Chris is convinced he will be more successful in the United States where he has a well-developed network of contacts in business. With the princess on his side who takes the main responsibility for the children, he is convinced to make success, says an information provider.
In Palm Beach, the princess family will live in Chris's house with five large bedrooms and as many bathrooms. The property also features a spectacular garden, a garage and a swimming pool.
Chris has tried to get rid of the house for several years, but failed repeatedly. First it was out for SEK 44.5 million, but then it was reduced to SEK 33 million.
Chris O'Neill har fått nog_ lämnar allt _ Stoppa Pressarna

Last edited:
Thanks, LadyFinn.

Sometimes the Swedish press can be very provincial...

Florida is not just one big retirement village. The big cities have many businesses and working families with small children. However, I doubt there are enough Swedes for a Swedish school.
Now that Victoria had Oscar and CP two children, Madeleine's children do not seem integral to the succession as before. the King will decide

I know in order for the children to be in the line of succession they need to be primarily raised in Sweden (or is it attend school there)? I don't know at what point schooling starts in Sweden, but in the US, Leonore would be starting school not this summer, but next summer (Summer 2019). So would they need to move back to Sweden by then?

When Princess Leonore was born, the Marshal of the Realm announced that to remain in the line of succession, she must be raised in Sweden from when she is about six years of age, complete her entire education in Sweden, and speak Swedish fluently.

Eftersom den lilla familjen bor i USA kommer det att ställas krav på prinsessan Leonore om hon vill ingå i den svenska tronföljden.

– Det gäller att följa successionsordningen som kräver att hon döps i Sverige i Svenska kyrkan, protestantisk tro och att hon uppfostras inom riket, säger riksmarskalken Svante Lindqvist.

Enligt honom har hovet gjort tolkningen att prinsessan Leonore måste flytta hem till Sverige från och med att hon fyller sex år för att kunna stå kvar i successionsordningen.

– Hon ska uppfostras från ungefär sex års ålder och ha hela sin skolgång i Sverige. Hon ska bli svensk, tala svenska felfritt och ta en svensk studentexamen, säger Svante Lindqvist.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/gP49gJ/annars-kan-de-lika-garna-avga-direkt

Compulsory schooling starts in Sweden in the autumn of the year the child turns seven, but almost all children attend at least a year of preschool.

https://sweden.se/society/education-in-sweden/

This move really comes as a surprise to me. I believed they were getting closer to moving to Sweden permanently, as Leonore and Nicolas both attended Swedish preschools, and Nicolas and Adrienne were both born in Sweden, and that it's always been a desire for Madeleine to move back there.

[...] I have heard many say that Chris has no desire to live in Sweden permanently, and that he would rather live in the UK, where he grew up, or the US, where's he had most of his working career.

Yes, in interviews they have given, Princess Madeleine has said that she desires to move back to Sweden at an unspecified time, and she and Christopher O'Neill have both implied that Chris prefers to reside abroad. An interview in February 2017: http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/kungligt/madeleine-chris-far-ofortjant-mycket-kritik/

Expressen's royal expert Karin Lennmor writes at her chronicle among other things:

This quick royal move was quite surprising, I think. But probably it was a well-balanced decision, it's something you hardly decide on a weekend.
What makes Princess Madeleine to have such anxiety in her body? A little restless, Madeleine and Chris have changed continents three times during their five-year marriage. First, New York, then London and now back to USA and Florida.
When the couple's apartment at the Royal Mews was renovated and decorated, many people hoped that, at last, the family would move home for good. Both Leonore and Nicolas have had pre-school classes at Östermalm, an opportunity to go to kindergarten and have small Swedish friends the months they were in Sweden.
Now my sources say the family plans to stay in Florida for at least two years, until it's time for Leonore to start school.
Nobody knows where she starts school: Stockholm, Swedish School in London? Or maybe even in the Swedish school in Fort Lauderdale, there's actually one.
It's hard to believe it's Chris O'Neill's job that affected the move. As far as I understand, his business can be conducted anywhere.
Are there other economic reasons? The couple allegedly paid SEK 170,000 in monthly rent for the London floor they left last spring.
Their new home, the comfortable villa in Palm Beach, Chris has had a long time, long before he met Madeleine. But already in 2015, he tried to sell the house without success, even though the price had been reduced several times.
In May, the whole family traveled to the Florida villa on vacation. Was it maybe then, the decision was made to move there permanently?
I'm trying to understand how princess Madeleine thinks; probably she wants to take advantage of these years to every second and to be with her children as much as possible. She is still on a maternity leave.
A lovely climate all year round, a easy-going American life, pool on the plot and close to the beach, that sounds great.
De flesta vill nog ha Madeleine i Sverige _ Karin Lennmor _ Expressen

:previous: Well, to repeat myself, the Swedish press can be provincial, especially towards Madeleine.

Madeleine's children is so far down the Line of Succession that it is most unlikely they will ever live a life as anything resembling royals, apart from the rare attendance at major royal events back in Sweden. So why shouldn't they move to wherever they want to live and work?
And in this day and age it is far from unusual that people are stationed in various places abroad for a few years, depending on their jobs and careers.
Madeleine is Mrs. O'Neil who happens also to be Princess of Sweden, less so the other way around. - The press just seems to have a problem accepting that.

The logic being: Since Sweden of course is the best country in the world to live in and in particular raising your children, it is most odd and actually pretty resentful that she should choose to live abroad! :ermm:
- I can allow myself to say that because the same provincial snobbery also exists in my own country. ;)

:previous: Well, to repeat myself, the Swedish press can be provincial, especially towards Madeleine.

Madeleine's children is so far down the Line of Succession that it is most unlikely they will ever live a life as anything resembling royals, apart from the rare attendance at major royal events back in Sweden. So why shouldn't they move to wherever they want to live and work?
And in this day and age it is far from unusual that people are stationed in various places abroad for a few years, depending on their jobs and careers.
Madeleine is Mrs. O'Neil who happens also to be Princess of Sweden, less so the other way around. - The press just seems to have a problem accepting that.

The logic being: Since Sweden of course is the best country in the world to live in and in particular raising your children, it is most odd and actually pretty resentful that she should choose to live abroad! :ermm:
- I can allow myself to say that because the same provincial snobbery also exists in my own country. ;)

I can very well understand that many Swedes think like Lennmor - as long as Madeleine is HRH Princess Madeleine, Princess of Sweden, and her children are HRHs and princesses and prince of Sweden, they are all in the line of succession, Madeleine has a big apartment at the Royal Mews totally for free without rent and Madeleine is paid from the apanage when she works at court's official work events.

I also think that the move was more Chris's wish than Madeleine's.

:previous: It probably was.
I don't suppose royalty means much for Chris O'Neil in his work.
If he had a major export business it might be a different matter.

Yes, the old story about who Madeleine really is: Princess Madeleine, who happens also to be Mrs. O'Neil or Mrs. O'Neil who happens also to be Princess Madeleine.
Well, personally I don't think Madeleine owes Sweden and certainly not the Swedish press that much. She has been everybody's favorite prügelknabe for years. - Why should she care what a number of journalist and opinion makers with a sore bottom think of her?

And isn't the apanage at the discretion of the King? He can just strip her of the amount he dedicates to her, can't he?

Anyway, the problem will solve itself eventually. Madeleine will quietly fade away and eventually she may give up her princess-title and become duchess of... ?

Mr O' Neil shows that he does not like his Royal engagements.
He will move for his business and I hope he will be succesful , I may say honestly I am not sure !

Yes, the old story about who Madeleine really is: Princess Madeleine, who happens also to be Mrs. O'Neil or Mrs. O'Neil who happens also to be Princess Madeleine.

[...]

Anyway, the problem will solve itself eventually. Madeleine will quietly fade away and eventually she may give up her princess-title and become duchess of... ?

In a hypothetical situation wherein Princess Madeleine gave up her title(s), she would be Mrs. Bernadotte (if she kept her duchess title, Madeleine Bernadotte, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland) rather than Mrs. O'Neill, as she always uses "Bernadotte" when she chooses to use a last name. As an example, the organization she works for names her "HRH Princess Madeleine Bernadotte of Sweden".

But royalty in Europe seem to preserve their titles as a rule, even if they fade into anonymity, the king's sister HRH Princess Birgitta being an example.

A surprise but on the other hand not that unexpected. It is clear that Vhris was never serious about moving to Sweden. It makes you wonder about the real reason to suddenly leave the States a few years ago to go 'back' now.

At that point in time there were rumours about financial issues that Chris supposedly escaped from by leaving thd country (which didn't really make sense to me as he is sn American citizen). Given that evrn now they stste that Chris could do his job anywhere in the world, apparently they just like Florida (or their house there) and don't mind being a long way from Sweden eventhough Madeleine tried to convince the Swedes otherwise.

I always thought that Leonore would start school in Sweden, as I remember there were lots of discussions around last year suggesting that it was likely for this to happen; so I'm a little surprised by the move but as Chris is a dual American/British national, it's also not surprising that they're moving to Florida (but I did expect them to move to somewhere like New York or Boston if the US is the preferred location to move). It seems that Leonore and the children will be educated in Florida, unless the family decide to move abroad again sometime in the future.

I love the new family photo - the children are so precious and Adrienne is growing to be a beautiful baby! The fact that she was touching her little toes is adorable.

Last edited:
In a hypothetical situation wherein Princess Madeleine gave up her title(s), she would be Mrs. Bernadotte (if she kept her duchess title, Madeleine Bernadotte, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland) rather than Mrs. O'Neill, as she always uses "Bernadotte" when she chooses to use a last name. As an example, the organization she works for names her "HRH Princess Madeleine Bernadotte of Sweden".

But royalty in Europe seem to preserve their titles as a rule, even if they fade into anonymity, the king's sister HRH Princess Birgitta being an example.

Nicholas and Adrienne were registered in Sweden under the last name Bernadotte ( no mention of O’Neill in their birth certificates). Leonore’s US passport , however, alllegedly lists her as “ Bernadotte O’Neill”.

I don’t know how Madeleine’s name appears on her passport , but , on Adrienne’s and Nicholas’ Swedish birth certificates, no last name is given for their mother.

And isn't the apanage at the discretion of the King? He can just strip her of the amount he dedicates to her, can't he?

There is no amount to take away. Madeleine only receives appanage when she does work representing Sweden so basically no work = no money

A surprise but on the other hand not that unexpected. It is clear that Vhris was never serious about moving to Sweden. It makes you wonder about the real reason to suddenly leave the States a few years ago to go 'back' now.

At that point in time there were rumours about financial issues that Chris supposedly escaped from by leaving thd country (which didn't really make sense to me as he is sn American citizen). Given that evrn now they stste that Chris could do his job anywhere in the world, apparently they just like Florida (or their house there) and don't mind being a long way from Sweden eventhough Madeleine tried to convince the Swedes otherwise.

I suspect the reason for Chris to pick Florida may be that he simply coukd no longer afford living in London or in New York, where he had to pay rent.

Back
Top Bottom