Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill Expecting First Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This would have been so much easier if Madeleine at the day of her wedding gave up her "HRH" status and became just Princess Madeleine Mrs O'Neill like the way her aunt's are styled. Then their children would have been Ms and/or Mr Bernadotte-O'Neill .
I completely agree with you about her title. When I found out that Chris had turned down Swedish citizenship and a title I thought that Madeleine should give up her HRH. Although I know that she doesn't have to, but would have made more sense to me.
Now as far as her privacy goes, if she wants privacy then she needs to stop doing magazine shoots etc. That is only adding fuel to the media fire. Private means private, not when it suits you. You are either in the spotlight (ie, Beatrice and Eugenie) or you step back from it (ie, Zara and Peter). The occasional event for the family is fine. Maybe she forgot to take notes when she talked to her aunts, IMO, Christiana would have been a really good example to follow.

I am probably in the minority about this, but if a royal, an HRH royal, lives in another country, then they should be afforded the life of a private citizen. Especially if they live in the US which does not have a monarchy.

I completely agree with you about her title. When I found out that Chris had turned down Swedish citizenship and a title I thought that Madeleine should give up her HRH. Although I know that she doesn't have to, but would have made more sense to me.
Now as far as her privacy goes, if she wants privacy then she needs to stop doing magazine shoots etc. That is only adding fuel to the media fire. Private means private, not when it suits you. You are either in the spotlight (ie, Beatrice and Eugenie) or you step back from it (ie, Zara and Peter). The occasional event for the family is fine. Maybe she forgot to take notes when she talked to her aunts, IMO, Christiana would have been a really good example to follow.

I completely agree with everything you have said. To quote an old saying she is having her cake and eating it too!

I agree. To me she seems like an upper class lady who wants evertything and has lost contact with the real world. She wants fame, she wants titles, she wants her husbands money, she wants privacy, she wants respect etc etc. All this without having to do a lot and not wanting to accept criticism.

I guess we have to wait and see what happens but i don't like the way this is going and i doubt the royal family (except Madeleine) does.

Last edited:
I am probably in the minority about this, but if a royal, an HRH royal, lives in another country, then they should be afforded the life of a private citizen.specially if they live in the US which does not have a monarchy.
Quite right, they are private citizens and should be treated as such. That the US does not have a monarch is irrelevant. Princess Madeleine is not a citizen of the US.

However, I fail to understand why so many people have their knickers in a knot over Princess Madeleine retaining her HRH. That is who she is. That is what she was born as and has lived 30+ years as.. Why should she need, or be required, to totally reject her rank, her title let alone her family and citizenship?

That Chris declined a title is his choice. It is not who he is and he has not grown up with a title and perhaps he would have found it a little awkward having one. Good for him.

At present they reside in the US, so what? His job may take him to the Continent at any time . . . is he expected to give up his dual citizenship just because he is living somewhere other that the US or UK?

I agree. To me she seems like an upper class lady who wants evertything and has lost contact with the real world. She wants fame, she wants titles, she wants her husbands money, she wants privacy, she wants respect etc etc. All this without having to do a lot and not wanting to accept criticism.

I guess we have to wait and see what happens but i don't like the way this is going and i doubt the royal family (except Madeleine) does.

She is a born Princess, married to a wealthy man, and would like some degree of privacy but is doing royal work when needed. That is the real work in royals world. No need to expect her to live a middle class life. She never has and she never will. That does not make it wrong.

She has all the privacy to which she is be afforded under U.S. law. The paps can trail her everywhere here, and her child can be photographed as well. And she will be. Just ask Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.

As they are all (Madde, Chris, baby) clearly public figures under our legal system, they have almost zero protections against defamation here -and while they might have a right of privacy in theory, in practice they do not. The question here in the U.S. is not whether they are "private citizens" - the question is whether we are public or non-public figures. Public figures are essentially famous people, whether they ask for the fame or not.

She is certainly entitled to retain her title, her child is certainly entitled to a title, and while she is certainly entitled to give interviews to the press, the paps and public will continue to show a higher interest in them, and our laws are less likely to afford them protections. That is the material point.

Last edited:
She is a born Princess, married to a wealthy man, and would like some degree of privacy but is doing royal work when needed. That is the real work in royals world. No need to expect her to live a middle class life. She never has and she never will. That does not make it wrong.

I understand that and i partly agree. What i wanted to say was that members of the royal family can't live their private life like they belive they are "above the people" . If they do that then we will se Sweden become a republic in a not to distant future. Whatever they do they have to think of the public opinion and how the public would react. Many swedes are feeling that they don't want to pay for a royal Princess of HRH rank living abroad and working very rarely in Sweden. And today the popularity of the swedish royal house is just a little bit over 50 % in most polls since the last years controversies involving the king and Princess Madeleine is always ranked as the least popular family member since she moved to USA.
Their life duty is after all to secure the future of the monarchy and that's a matter for every family member.

I personally can live with the current situation even though i don't like it but i'm worried that the popularity of the swedish royal family will continue to drop.

Last edited:
It still doesn't eliminate her right to privacy. I could understand the double standards if she was having a reality show and fame-whored constantly while moaning about wanting privacy (like some *cough* celebrities). But that isn't what she's doing. She's a Swedish Princess who gave an interview to a Swedish magazine. Does that mean that she doesn't have the right to privacy like anyone else?

She has as much right to privacy as any other public figure. She cannot exect the same amount of freedom as a private person because she isnt one. Madeleine invites the attraction by giving interviews etc. She isnt the first person who thinks who can dictate the press when she wants attention and when she doesnt want it - and fails - and she wont be the last. You cannot be a public figure when you attend events - and then take off the public coat and become a private person and expect the press to respect that. Its not going to work. Even for Chris, who chose to remain a private person but when you marry a public figure, you have to take in the attention that is related to your wife. It has its upsides, all the priviledges, and of course its downsides. Just accept it and move on, stop moaning. It will only make the press more aggressive.

I think the plan was always to move back to Sweden, it was just a matter of when. And now with being pregnant the move will likely happen sooner than later. Right now they are likely arranging things in NY.

As far as title for their child probably not necessary right now. It may seem necessary now but down the road probably not. The chances of this child seeing the throne are pretty slim (possible I suppose but highly unlikely) but kept in the line of succession.

Anyway, and I agree that they should just accept things, stop bellyaching and move on.

Many swedes are feeling that they don't want to pay for a royal Princess of HRH rank living abroad and working very rarely in Sweden. And today the popularity of the swedish royal house is just a little bit over 50 % in most polls since the last years controversies involving the king and Princess Madeleine is always ranked as the least popular family member since she moved to USA.
Their life duty is after all to secure the future of the monarchy and that's a matter for every family member.

I personally can live with the current situation even though i don't like it but i'm worried that the popularity of the swedish royal family will continue to drop.

I totally agree with you, and I'm also worried about the future of the swedish monarchy with Carl Philip's design scandals and controversial girlfriend, the king's controversies and Madeleine's lack of understanding her role in the royal court of Sweden. Perhaps it would be better if she would have given up her HRH since she clearly is happy in NYC.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you, and I'm also worried about the future of the swedish monarchy with Carl Philip's design scandals and controversial girlfriend, the king's controversies and Madeleine's lack of understanding her role in the royal court of Sweden. Perhaps it would be better if she would have given up her HRH since she clearly is happy in NYC.

I dont think she will ever give up her HRH and why would she, its who she is and even if she did, the paparazzi would not stop covering her. In case things go wrong with Chris, the HRH will be her fallback option. I dont think she is clearly happy in NY, maybe for the moment, but the past has proven that she needs both worlds what will make her future life - and her very own familys life - problematic I guess.

If the baby will be H(R)H Prince/ss of Sweden, would him or her also a dukedom given?

If the baby will be H(R)H Prince/ss of Sweden, would him or her also a dukedom given?

most probably, this is what has happened in the past, even with the children and grandchildren of the youngest children of the monarch

I already think that give the title of Princess to the little girl will be too much, let alone give her a Dukedom.

I hope she'll be "just" a Highness, not a Royal Highness.

My prediction is Her Highness Princess Lilian Victoria Eva of Sweden.

I hope The Crown Princess will have a baby soon. C'mon, it's time to give a grandson to Their Majesties.

Princess Lili, very nice, Brazillian.

most probably, this is what has happened in the past, even with the children and grandchildren of the youngest children of the monarch

But only grandchildren through sons not through daughters.

But only grandchildren through sons not through daughters.

True, but that was before women had equal succession rights as men,
for example Victoria and Madeleine are both duchesses in their own right, but their aunts, the kings sisters were never given dukedoms, even when they were still HRH's, because of male promigeniture, yet the current king was made duke of jamtland at birth......so im guessing should this child be made an HRH she would be made a duchess, just like Princess Estelle, because that's how things are usually done in sweden, with people in the line of succession

Last edited:
True, but that was before women had equal succession rights as men,
for example Victoria and Madeleine are both duchesses in their own right, but their aunts, the kings sisters were never given dukedoms, even when they were still HRH's, because of male promigeniture, yet the current king was made duke of jamtland at birth......so im guessing should this child be made an HRH she would be made a duchess, just like Princess Estelle, because that's how things are usually done in sweden, with people in the line of succession
I think a better solution for this child and also for Carl Philip's eventuell future children would be to make them only Highness like in Denmark and not Royal Highness if they would have them to have Titles.

Last edited:
So it is confirmed? A daughter for Madeleine?

So it is confirmed? A daughter for Madeleine?

Yes, the Deputy Director of the Information and Press Department, Annika Sönnerberg, confirmed it to Svensk Damtidning, which was behind the scoop that it will be a girl.

And Annika Sönnerberg has told to Aftonbladet that they will ll get back to details and further information, particularly where the birth will take place.
She states that the birth is expected at the end of February or early March.
Madeleine bekräftar Det blir en flicka Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Did Madeleine will give the Silvia name the baby?

I agree about Lilian. Silvia may be one the middle names though.

a honour to lilian would be great, although i don't think that will be the first name, but one of the other names they choose.

i'm surprised on the other hand they have confirmed the gender of the baby - as far as i remember, they didn't do it with victoria. wonder why they felt the need to confirm it for madeleine.

It's great she's having a girl. I'm all for a female take over in this family ala in the Dutch one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom