The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I would like to see their children being Counts and Countesses O'Neill, not Princes and Princesses of Sweden. I think it would be more appropriate.
That would have been a great solution but it's not possible as the O'Neill family itself are not aristocratic and the swedish King can't bestow any noble titles. Just Prince/Princess titles to members of the royal family.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Since Maddy does not seem to keen on being a princess with all the restrictions that brings it seems odd that her children should be anything more than Mr or Miss O'Neill especially if their life is to be lived largely outside of Sweden.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Courtier

I thought they had said that they planned on moving back to Sweden. And Chris said he was trying to learn the language
Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Since they just bought an apartment in NYC it would appear that they intend for the immediate futire spending their time there.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Since they just bought an apartment in NYC it would appear that they intend for the immediate futire spending their time there.
Not necessarily as they will most likely maintain multiple residences.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe View Post
I would hope Madeleine would be in Sweden for the birth. As to a title, at first I thought no, but then I thought about the children of Princess Margriet of the Netherlands. Her husband is not royal or even aristocratic (as far as I know) but her children are princes/princesses. So maybe Madeleine's children would be HRHs. These marriages are all new ground for the Swedish royal family.
Will it have an Impact on the line of succession, if the children are Born in Sweden or NY? (i.e. only Swedish People can become in line of the throne)?
Bye Bine
Old 09-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post

Will it have an Impact on the line of succession, if the children are Born in Sweden or NY? (i.e. only Swedish People can become in line of the throne)?
Bye Bine
Yes, I think that I read here on the forum that only children born in Sweden are in line of the throne.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Bye Bine
Madeleine's and Chris' children will have swedish citizenship because their mother is swedish, it doesn't matter where the children are born.
http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/283_en.html
Old 09-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I wonder if the preganancy was a surprise to one or both of them. In this weeks Hello there is an interview with the couple in which they state they want to just enjoy being a couple and will put off having a child for awhile.
Yes, but I think they said that because they don't want paparazzi/tabloids speculating at every picture of a fuller belly.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
Yes, but I think they said that because they don't want paparazzi/tabloids speculating at every picture of a fuller belly.

LOL Yes, I'd thought the same thing. If I've been in their shoes, that's what I would have done.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Bye Bine
I don't think it matters where the children are born, but if I understand the text of the order of succession correctly they have to be brought up in Sweden to be in the line of succession, according to §4 in the Swedish Order of Succession, which also says that those in line of the succession have to be Lutheran.
Quote:
sålunda skola ock prinsar och prinsessor av det kungl. huset uppfödas i samma lära och inom riket.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Chris O'Neill to Svensk Damtidning about the child: "Thank you. I'm very happy and excited".
Old 09-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Serene Highness

I would think that one would want or at least give their child the option of succession rights and then when the child is an adult then they can make the decision of whether or not to be in succession to the throne. The decision then is in their hands and not others who made the decision for them.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
I would think that one would want or at least give their child the option of succession rights and then when the child is an adult then they can make the decision of whether or not to be in succession to the throne. The decision then is in their hands and not others who made the decision for them.
So in order to give their child the option of succession rights (to a throne that they will not inherit unless there is a catastrophe), Chris has to give up his job; move to Sweden; find fulfilling job; find somewhere to live; and (possibly??) change his religion??? All that for a maybe?

I think they would be mad to do that unless they wanted (for themselves) to be in Sweden.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
So in order to give their child the option of succession rights (to a throne that they will not inherit unless there is a catastrophe), Chris has to give up his job; move to Sweden; find fulfilling job; find somewhere to live; and (possibly??) change his religion??? All that for a maybe?

I think they would be mad to do that unless they wanted (for themselves) to be in Sweden.
I totally agree. Chris O'Neill is a man who has worked all his life and been extremely successful; he is proud to be a British/American with the freedom to do what he wants whenever he wants. Why on earth should he give up his freedom to become some sort of Prince of Sweden with no job and nothing to do but follow his wife around cutting ribbons and shaking hands? No real man would willingly do that just because his child MIGHT become King/Queen. Also, the child would not even have the O'Neill name and his line would end. I, in fact, applaud Mr. O'Neill for standing his ground and refusing to accept a title or give up his rights and refusing to learn Swedish. I think Mady should be proud that she has a real man and not someone who wants her for her money/title/position.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslewis View Post
I, in fact, applaud Mr. O'Neill for standing his ground and refusing to accept a title or give up his rights and refusing to learn Swedish.

Chris has already stated he in the process of learning Swedish. Doesn't mean he plans to move there but it sure would make it easier and more comfortable for those times when he is asked to participate in events.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I think learning Swedish is a good thing.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Serene Highness

I haven't read the succession rights but where would it say in the succession rights that Chris O'Neill would have to give up his job, his freedom or do what he wants to do. Does it say in the succession rights that the child they have would have to give up their name?

I don't know what the benefits of having succession rights would be versus not having them. Pros and cons for each and I'm no expert on the topic. I was thinking of succession rights as it relates to inheritance laws or other laws which would benefit this person as opposed to someone who didn't have these rights.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post

I think the pregnancy was not planned at all and was a honeymoon surprise. They very specifically mentioned wanting to wait for parenthood in at least two interviews.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think this child will be brought up in New York. What his/her rights to a throne, they will never inherit means, I cannot say. Only Chris and Madeleine can make that decision. When Chris remained his own man and not part of the palace process, by keeping his name and citizenship. He made this statement loud and clear.

Tags
chris o'neill, pregnancy, pregnant, princess madeleine