The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not following. Why is that so?
Like Zara Phillips the Swedish kid could do what he/she wants, enjoying all the freedom of 'commoners'. The chance of Madeleine's offspring on the throne is close to zero. If the kid makes the line of succession, it will be subject to scrutiny & critizism because it is supposed to serve Sweden somehow, plus the family wont even live in Sweden on a permanent basis.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Congratulations to Madeleine and Chris!

Old 09-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
I agree. I believe they will take the route Princess Christina took. No titles or HRH or HH. Just O'Neil.
We can't compare Madeleine with Princess Christina. Princess Christina had no choice, when she married Tord Magnuson. As a result of her unequal marriage, princess Christina lost her style of Royal Highness and received the courtesy title of Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnuson. Princess Madeleine is still HRH Princess Madeleine, Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Gentry

Congratulations to Madeleine and Christopher! What a beautiful news!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Aristocracy

What wonderful news: I'm very excited for them! I know they will make excellent parents!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
On the question of religion, I do think that the child will be brought up as a protestant. As far as I know, Chris isn't a very devout catholic (like some of the belgian Royals, for example). The marriage was also a protestant one. They didn't even have a catholic priest attending and assisting (which is possible here if you ask for it).

The question of where the child is raised could possibly be a trickier one. We'll have to wait and see. My guess is that they will move to Sweden eventuall, but perhaps not until a couple of years from now.
Thanks, Xenobia,
you answered a few questions on my mind.

I guess it will only be an issue in say ten years time, if it turns out that Victoria and Daniel for whatever reason don't have more children and Carl Phillip don't have children either. Then I guess it would be advisible if Madeleine and Chris moved to Sweden at least for a part of the year.
As it would be a big risk and not advisable only to have one young heir to the throne in Sweden in a generation from now.

So we can imagine (and hope) the child will become a just-in-case-the-royal-line-needs-to-be-preserved-spare, because I honestly doubt Chris O'Neil and perhaps Madeleine too, are particularly keen about moving to Sweden and take on the royal obligations with all that entails of both of them. (Madeleine can still perform duties more or less solo).
In that light, what title is the child most likely to get?
Old 09-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Such a wonderful news! Seems like they'll have a honeymoon baby. :)
Old 09-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

Congratulations to Her Royal Highness and to Mr. O'Neill!!!

Wow they were very fast, but not as fast as members of the Monegasque Princely Family!

I think they'll have a little girl (although I also predicted the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would have a girl).

Now I hope to see the Crown Princely couple announcing they'll have a second child, and Prince Carl Philip becoming engaged to Sofia Hellqvist.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

Now I hope to see the Crown Princely couple announcing they'll have a second child, and Prince Carl Philip becoming engaged to Sofia Hellqvist.
That are also my wishes. Maybe we have a real year of joy in Sweden.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Serene Highness

Can His Majesty The King grant the title of Count/Countess O'Neill to the children of Princess Madeleine?

Like the Counts and Countesses Bernadotte. It would be nice.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
We can't compare Madeleine with Princess Christina. Princess Christina had no choice, when she married Tord Magnuson. As a result of her unequal marriage, princess Christina lost her style of Royal Highness and received the courtesy title of Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnuson. Princess Madeleine is still HRH Princess Madeleine, Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.
True, but I think it matters that Chris doesn't have a title. It seems strange that his child would get one if he doesn't have one. But I guess that's a patriarchal view of things. Since Madeleine is a duchess in her own right, it makes sense that she would get to pass down the title, no? I don't know how titles work in Sweden ...whether Maddie's title is just hers for her lifetime without rights to pass it down or not.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
It's wise when older parents conceive right away. I think Guillaume and Stephanie should do the same. Stephanie is nearly thirty. Still young, but it's wise to have babies when young, if all is prepared for a good home. When I was pregnant at twenty-nine, the young girls in my pre-birth class wondered if I was "afraid" to have a baby at such an old age. Things have changed, twenty-nine is still young today, but still, mother nature has her schedule, which trumps our human designs.
I disagree. I think it's wise, when possible, to start a family only when you feel emotionally ready for the huge demands of parenthood. You can do that at the same time as being aware of the limitations of Mother Nature.

Stephanie only turned 29 this year. She is under no pressure whatsoever, but has(wisely) chosen to utilize her first year of marriage to become comfortable with her new role.

Kate and William did the same and I think it was smart of them.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Madeleine Pregnant With First Child 12 Weeks After Wedding

Congratulations to the couple! I am sure King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia will be delighted to have another grandchild.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 09-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
Wow they were very fast, but not as fast as members of the Monegasque Princely Family!

I laughed at your comment on the Monegasque family!

I think that the Swedish Royal Family can do better than Sofia Hellqvist
Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
I think that the Swedish Royal Family can do better than Sofia Hellqvist
Oh, I agree with you, but seems that Prince Carl Philip is in love with her. Crown Princess Mette-Marit was a surprise to us all, Sofia can be the same.

I think we are a bit off-topic now.

Lets wait and see.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Carl Philip about the pregnancy news:

Carl Philip: "Jag är jätteglad" | Kungligt | Kungligt
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Is this the shortest time between wedding and pregancy announcement?
No...far from it. The Gotha is rife with pregnancy announcements that came within a few months of the wedding ceremony.

In fact until recently it was the norm, not the exception. Chris and Madeleine are doing it the old-fashioned way which surprises me. They seem so very "modern" in every way I thought they would wait a few years before starting a family.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thanks, Xenobia,

In that light, what title is the child most likely to get?
I have a feeling that the child won't get a title for the moment. His/her father is not titled so I think the child will eventually get a title if, as you suggested, a "need" for more heirs will present itself in the future (which I think unlikely - I expect that CP Victoria will have at least one more child and Carl Phillip will become a father, too)

Am I the only one to think that they were awfully quick in announcing the pregnancy? I know an announcement is usually made during the third month of gestation and this is exactly 12 weeks after their wedding! Had there been speculations in the media I would have understood. Maybe they wanted to actually prevent the gossiping. Or maybe CP Victoria is pregnant, too...
Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Gentry

Congratulations to Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill with the wonderful news of expecting a baby early March 2014!! I wish the mom-to-be an easy pregnancy surrounded by much love!!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William (6/1982)came along pretty quickly after Charles and Diana (7/1981) were married so I don't see anything scandalous about Chris and Madeleine expecting so soon.

Tags
chris o'neill, pregnancy, pregnant, princess madeleine