The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I don't know, it seems natural for her to give birth in New York as she lives there If I was Madeleine, I would probably have chosen to give birth in Sweden - the little one is going to be a Swedish Princess after all. But then again, being a Swedish Princess I would probably choose to live in Sweden. They live in New York, they work in New York, it seems perfectly logical that the girl should be born in New York as well. I think the real wrong decision is to give her a title.
I completely agree with all your points I highlighted, particularly the last one. I think the little one should've stayed as "Miss X O'Neill", since Chris doesn't have a title and chose to be a private citizen. If he had a Dukedom, then I could understand why their child has a title.

I find it logical that Madeleine has decided to give birth in New York, even though I was hoping that she'd give birth in Sweden. I would imagine that Madeleine has already booked the hospital room, so she couldn't make a last minute decision and choose to give birth in Sweden instead.

"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
maybe the hospital room where she will give birth will be declared Swedish soil for couple of hours. Wouldn't that be a solution? She would still give birth in "Sweden" yet in NYC.
No. The U.S. government has far more pressing issues, and if Congress and the President takes even five minutes to do this there will be outrage from the American people.

I can't believe Madde has apanage, as someone said above, with all Chris's money. I don't blame the Swedish people for being annoyed here. And the paps will follow this baby everywhere in NY, as they are allowed to do. She'll be followed around like she's Angelina Jolie with her brood.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Majesty

I like that a member of the Swedish royal family will be born here in America. I'm not sure if The King and Queen are disappointed in Madeleine deciding to have the baby in New York. I think they know that Madeleine's new life is split between New York and Sweden and more focused on the baby being born safetly.

I think the Swedish people must understand Madeleine's situation and the way of her new life. Princess Madeleine hasn't abandoned her country at all.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Why would Madeleine give birth anywhere else than the place where her life centers, her doctors are, her environment is, the husband works etc etc etc people create a kids room before the birth, afterwards they take their kid there and everyday life begins, its a feeling of home. None of this is in Sweden. Giving birth in Sweden makes only sense when the family plans to live there or use a home there on a permanent basis.

Having said that, Madeleine or the family should start bearing consequences to the fact that the center of her life is now the US. There is the freedom of decision, people will only continue to critizise the impossible try to live in both worlds, meaning to enjoy the privileges of both worlds, of course.
Exactly. It's a practical decision. If that baby is going to be raised in the US, it might as well be born there.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Courtier

I like Madeleine, but it seems she is torn between two models and it´s time to decide now what she wants, she is no 20something anymore.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Royal Highness

I think it is more practical for them as a family to have the baby in New York however I think the baby should not receive a title. When Madeleine married and Chris took no title she should have become just Princess Madeleine, Mrs O'Neil. There was no reason for her to keep HRH and in my opinion it is ridiculous if they expect their daughter to also be HRH. None of the Kings sisters were afforded these privileges.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I like that a member of the Swedish royal family will be born here in America. I'm not sure if The King and Queen are disappointed in Madeleine deciding to have the baby in New York. I think they know that Madeleine's new life is split between New York and Sweden and more focused on the baby being born safetly.

I think the Swedish people must understand Madeleine's situation and the way of her new life. Princess Madeleine hasn't abandoned her country at all.
When you have read various swedish columns, forums, Facebook and boards after Madeleine decided to live in the United States, many people thought and said that she should give up her title, if she isn't interested to work more in Sweden and for Sweden. Madeleine doesn't attend at the "normal" work events in Sweden at all. And she doesn't meet common Swedes at all and doesn't visit her duchies. Even Carl Philip has some work events around Sweden and he meets common swedish people. Carl Philip also has a couple of work events a year at his duchy.
And now after this announcement of giving birth in Sweden, many think that the child should not have right to the throne because Madeleine chooses not to give birth in Sweden. And again many people write that Madeleine should finally give up her title. The ordinary swedish people think that Madeleine gets a part of the apanage and therefore she has got responsibilities. And like the court has told, Madeleine's trips to Sweden because of her royal duties and the expenses from her royal duties are paid from the apanage, which is given to the king and he shares it to other members of the royal family.

Most of the swedish people understand Madeleine's decision and her desire to have an own life, but they don't necessarily understand that she wants to retain her title and all the privileges without working for Sweden.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Aristocracy

Princess Madeleine of Sweden will give birth to her baby girl in New York - hellomagazine.com
Old 01-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Aristocracy

I think Madeleine should give birth where she wants to give birth. I can understand the disappointment from some of the Swedish public for her decision to give birth in New York and I agree with some of the posters here that it would better for the baby to not receive a title, even though it is ultimately the King's decision.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

i get the impression that following this, the girl will not be princess of sweden but simply "miss O neill". i get the impression that's what her parents want - just like chris decided he didn't really want a title and preferred to remain a private citizen. i guess that way they can have the best of both worlds - a private life but some public exposure to any events they judge convenient.

one thing that caught my attention was how madeleine said in an interview that she planned to take the baby to work at her mom's childhood foundation's meetings, in NY. I found this funny. surely madeleine's role in it is rather leisurely then, i doubt very many women would be allowed to take their kids to meetings without a frown. meetings are a place to work, not kindergardens. i'd very much prefer people working with NGOs are there because they believe the work they do is valuable and want to have as much impact as possible in their activities, and her believing she could bring baby in, this means she probably has a rather uninvolved concept of working for a charity.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 01-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

'Many will be disappointed': Princess Madeline of Sweden makes controversial decision to give birth to her first baby with American husband in New York Mail Online
Old 01-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i get the impression that following this, the girl will not be princess of sweden but simply "miss O neill".
But didn't the court confirm that she would be titled some months ago? Or was that just a rumour?

Old 01-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
its a wise decision imo ....seeing that chris's work is currently based in new york its the only way that the 2 could be together at all times especially in the last stages of pregnancy .....with regards to the media respecting them its not the swedish media they should worry about but the us media....this the first time ever in this century that a blood princess is being born in the us.....so there will be quite a lot of interest....in fact the story about the decision is already making headlines in countries outside sweden and europe such as canada, australia and the usa
It hasn't made any headlines in Australia. Princess Madeline's choice to where she gives birth isn't of any importance here. If it was CP Mary, it would make headlines.

It will be interesting to see whether the King will give the title of HRH Princess of Sweden, or if the delivery room will be regarded as Swedish soil....
Old 01-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
It hasn't made any headlines in Australia. Princess Madeline's choice to where she gives birth isn't of any importance here. If it was CP Mary, it would make headlines.
I agree Madeleine is a non-entity in Australia. I was surprised to see that the announcement was on the homepage for news.com.au today - not as a top story, but headlining the entertainment section with a pic.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I know people are angry at Madeleine and, if some of the links and even posts here are to be believed, feel she should be punished for living with her husband outside of Sweden. That she should be figuratively "Cast out of the Kingdom" so to speak, stripped of her title if not her citizenship!

I am confused. What has Madeleine's title got to do with getting married? She was born a Princess and an HRH to boot. Does getting married to Chris somehow negate the circumstances of her own birth?

If HRH Princess Madeleine has a child then unlike the BRF, Sweden doesn't have the "Lady" option and the child is born either a Princess or a Miss at the King's will, regardless of where she is born.

To me it all comes down to money and specifically the belief that the Swedish people are paying her for being a "Princess" and she isn't turning up for work. Do we know if, like the Windor-Mountbatten's and the Wales men, Madeleine has a trust fund? Would we be terribly surprised if she did? More like stunned if she didn't!

So, if she is living off her husband's and her own money who cares if she doesn't live in Sweden. It is irrelevant, as is all the bile streaming out about where Madeleine married (from home like most brides) and where she gives birth (in her new home where her husband lives). The whole situation is getting really ugly and the average expectant mother would rather shut out as much "ugly" as she possibly can. What makes Madeleine different? Nothing and, she has the ability to move intercontinentally to achieve it.

Go Madeleine! And good luck and best wishes on a healthy baby.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

When Madeleine and Chris got married I bought a copy of "Hello" with them on the cover and showed it to my husband. He'd never heard of her and knows nothing about any of the Swedish royals.

I think the only royals most Australians know much about are our own, and I use that term loosely since technically we don't have a Royal Family, just a Queen or King. People also know about the Danish RF, but only because Mary is one of us. The other monarchies are irrelevant and their members of no interest unless one of them comes here or does something scandalous.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
But didn't the court confirm that she would be titled some months ago? Or was that just a rumour?
The court has't confirmed anything on a press release, but the King's solicitor told in September to Svensk Damtidning, that because Madeleine is a HRH, the child will also be a HRH and a prince/princess. We will soon see if the solicitor told something which will not happen. Maybe he is as bad on his job as Bertil Ternert was.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Courtier

Madeline is now 4th in line to the Swedish throne. There is Victoria, Estelle and CP ahead of her. The chance of her ever being needed is very remote. I think she is wise to build her own life instead of being a hanger on royal. I hope she has married for love and enjoys her life.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
its a wise decision imo ....seeing that chris's work is currently based in new york its the only way that the 2 could be together at all times especially in the last stages of pregnancy .....with regards to the media respecting them its not the swedish media they should worry about but the us media....this the first time ever in this century that a blood princess is being born in the us.....so there will be quite a lot of interest....in fact the story about the decision is already making headlines in countries outside sweden and europe such as canada, australia and the usa
I actually haven't heard any news of this here in Canada. It would surprise me, too - We have our own Royal Family.
Anyway, I can see both sides. Madde and Chris live in New York, so it would make sense for her to deliver in the states. At such a time you want to make things as easy for yourself as possible. On the other hand, it seems a bit wrong that a princess, a daughter of the king at that, would not give birth in her homeland.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Most of the swedish people understand Madeleine's decision and her desire to have an own life, but they don't necessarily understand that she wants to retain her title and all the privileges without working for Sweden.
It sounds a bit as though she wants to have her cake and eat it too, and I can understand why people would be unhappy about that.

I think the appanages make a difference, too. They provide a tangible benefit to the RF and she owes a duty to the people living in those territories but she lives in another country and is going to have her children in that other country and raise them there so they will not be in the line of succession. Perhaps she should forfeit the HRH and become Princess Madeleine, Mrs O'Neill.

Tags
chris o'neill, pregnancy, pregnant, princess madeleine