The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Thanks for your replies, LadyFinn and Lord Vimaranes (welcome to TRF, I see you're new here ). Kungahuset's explanation is very clear, this area of Swedish Royal titles makes sense to me now. At the time of the wedding, I did think that Chris not being given a royal title had something to do with him wanting to be a private citizen.
Do you mean, that Chris chose not to be a citizen and choosing to be a private, is because he was not getting a title when he married Madeline?

Old 11-19-2013, 01:13 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Chris chose to remain a private citizen, he did not apply for swedish citizenship what is necessary if a title would have been given to him.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCtrojan View Post
Do you mean, that Chris chose not to be a citizen and choosing to be a private, is because he was not getting a title when he married Madeline?
I don't fully understand your post, but I think it's something along the lines of "do you mean that because Chris married Madeleine he wanted to be a private citizen?"/"do you mean that Chris chose to be a private citizen because he didn't receive a title at the time of his wedding?"

What my thought meant was that Chris wanted to be a private citizen so that's why King Carl Gustaf didn't give him a title.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

The court says that it is not yet decided where Madeleine will give birth - USA or Sweden?
- No, there is no answer on that issue. We know no more now than before, says Annika Sönnerberg from the press department.
Madeleine plans to next week with Chris O'Neill come home to Sweden to attend the festivities surrounding mother Silvia's 70th birthday.
But it is far from certain that Madeleine can come because of that she will soon have less than two months away from giving birth. Then even the Christmas holidays with the royal family are in danger.
- There are clear recommendations on how close to giving birth a woman can fly. It depends of course on general health, but a maximum of one month before the expected date of delivery, says Annsofie Adolfsson, midwife and associate professor at Örebro University.
If Madeleines comes to Sweden next week, she must be clear on whether she will give birth in the U.S. within a short time to be able to fly back well before the birth.
- It's really nothing dangerous to fly pregnant. What everyone is afraid is to get a baby on a plane, says Annsofie Adolfsson.
Annika Sönnerberg thinks that things will become clearer when the princess is in place in Stockholm: When we know something, we will communicate about it.

Henrik Edström, press officer from SAS:
Just how close the estimated date of birth, a pregnant woman to travel with you?
- Four weeks. After that, you must have special permission.
Charlotte Holmbergh Jacobsson, Director of Communications at Norwegian:
Just how close the estimated date of birth, a pregnant woman to travel with you?
- We have a rule in the four weeks prior to estimated birth. It may be derogated from four to two weeks on trips that do not exceed four hours. You then need a medical certificate on how far along the pregnancy is. After week 38, it is completely impossible to travel with us.
Maddes graviditet kan stoppa flygresan hem Allt om resor Reseguider,*flygresor och*reportage om att resa Expressen
Translation
Old 01-11-2014, 05:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Marshal of the Realm tells at a press release, that Madeleine and Chris have made their decision, the baby will be born in New York. Madeleine and Chris kindly ask the media to respect their wish for privacy during this very special and joyous time.
Information regarding Princess Madeleine - Sveriges Kungahus

Madeleine föder i USA Nyheter Aftonbladet

Här väljer prinsessan Madeleine att föda Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation
Old 01-11-2014, 05:33 AM
Aristocracy

Well, we could expect that already, although I don't think this will be good for Madeleine's reputation in Sweden. She wasn't very popular already: now she's really choosing New York above Sweden.

In the press release is also: More information will be given in a due course.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Royal Highness

I don't know, it seems natural for her to give birth in New York as she lives there If I was Madeleine, I would probably have chosen to give birth in Sweden - the little one is going to be a Swedish Princess after all. But then again, being a Swedish Princess I would probably choose to live in Sweden. They live in New York, they work in New York, it seems perfectly logical that the girl should be born in New York as well. I think the real wrong decision is to give her a title.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen's royal expert Johan T Lindwall writes that it was far from obvious that Madeleine would give birth in New York.

Just as I have said. Madeleine has decided to give birth in New York. But it was far from obvious.
As late as the holiday season had the Princess not yet received approval by her parents to have a child on the other side of the Atlantic.
Mom Silvia and father the king were initially dead set against the idea that Madeleine would give birth in the United States.
There were several reasons for their opposition, but the premier was that they were afraid that the princess would then be subjected to criticism - a royal who choose to give birth to a princess outside her homeland. Crown Princess Victoria has been also worried that the little sister would be criticized if she gave birth outside Sweden - Madeleine carries anyway apanage, taxpayers' money, and has the title Her Royal Highness Princess Madeleine. With such a title comes a responsibility and certain obligations. One of the obligations would far drawn be to give birth in just his kingdom of Sweden.
The entire royal family celebrated Christmas together at Drottningholm and I know that as late as the day from Christmas to New Year it was still not decided where Madeleine would give birth. She wanted the United States. The parents wanted Sweden.

"After careful consideration and in consultation with Their Majesties, Princess Madeleine and Mr. Christopher O'Neill have decided that their child will be born in New York City". Writes the court on his website.
Careful consideration and consultation is really true. For the very end Madeleine with Chris have had to persuade the royal couple about to give birth in New York.
The other aspect, and perhaps the most important which Queen Silvia and King used to Madeleine if she would give birth in the U.S. was the distance. Now comes an entire ocean that separates them from their grandchild.
But on the other hand: Do I know Silvia right, it's she who sits on an SAS plane on the way over the Atlantic in late February. This is not something she plans to miss - whether it takes place in Sweden or the U.S..
Lindwall om födseln Långt från självklart Johan T Lindwall
Translation

The deputy director of the press department, Annika Sönnerberg, told to Aftonbladet about if the New York-born daughter will be the subject of succession, the Court cannot give an answer to as of yet.
– We'll come back with more details and information, we have no further information. Today, we can tell you that it will be in New York, then we'll come back with more information in connection with the birth, says Annika Sönnerberg.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I don't know, it seems natural for her to give birth in New York as she lives there If I was Madeleine, I would probably have chosen to give birth in Sweden - the little one is going to be a Swedish Princess after all. But then again, being a Swedish Princess I would probably choose to live in Sweden. They live in New York, they work in New York, it seems perfectly logical that the girl should be born in New York as well. I think the real wrong decision is to give her a title.
I couldnt agree more! It comes natural that she gives birth where the family has their centre. But in the long run, she can't have both. The girl shoudnt become HRH as Princess of Sweden. You cant be private in NY and public in Sweden. Its bound to create controversy, I can already hear Maddes complaints about the paps following her whenever she is outside with the kid. But its her decision and she will have to live with the consequences, I miss some serious reflections about her situation.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Nobility

its a wise decision imo ....seeing that chris's work is currently based in new york its the only way that the 2 could be together at all times especially in the last stages of pregnancy .....with regards to the media respecting them its not the swedish media they should worry about but the us media....this the first time ever in this century that a blood princess is being born in the us.....so there will be quite a lot of interest....in fact the story about the decision is already making headlines in countries outside sweden and europe such as canada, australia and the usa
Old 01-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Courtier

Is it true that maybe the girl won't have a title?
Old 01-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Royal expert Roger Lundgren said to SVT that the decision to give birth in USA makes many people in Sweden disappointed, they want their princess back home in Sweden, as part of the royal family. The fact that Madeleine will give birth abroad cementing a distance to her. Lundgren also claims that Madeleina has had a difficult pregnancy, she stood in banquette for example, and it is simply more convenient to give birth in USA than in Sweden.
Prinsessans barn föds i USA - Nyheter SVT.se
Translation

Yes, Madeleine cancelled the Nobels, but right after that she flew to Stockholm, then London, then Vienna and back to Stockholm. And she went to the family holiday in Cervinia in Italy and seemed to have a very good and easy holiday according to the photos.

Quite a lot negative comments on Aftonbladet when Lundgren answered to questions on Aftonbladet's website.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Is it true that maybe the girl won't have a title?
with regards to the title it is the king who decides and no one else , the fact that the child will not be born in sweden has little to do with what title she will receive
Old 01-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Courtier

Thank you. I have this doubt because the press release said also " More information will be given in due course".
Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Aristocracy

Is there a possibilty that Princess Madeleine has been put on bedrest until the birth after coming back to NYC ? That would explain why she "has to " give birth there.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Is there a possibilty that Princess Madeleine has been put on bedrest until the birth after coming back to NYC ? That would explain why she "has to " give birth there.
Madeleine has been this week still in Sweden, according to Twitter she was seen at NK department store in Stockholm yesterday. She doesn't "have to" give birth in New York, it is hers and Chris' decision.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you for the information LadyFinn
Old 01-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Why would Madeleine give birth anywhere else than the place where her life centers, her doctors are, her environment is, the husband works etc etc etc people create a kids room before the birth, afterwards they take their kid there and everyday life begins, its a feeling of home. None of this is in Sweden. Giving birth in Sweden makes only sense when the family plans to live there or use a home there on a permanent basis.

Having said that, Madeleine or the family should start bearing consequences to the fact that the center of her life is now the US. There is the freedom of decision, people will only continue to critizise the impossible try to live in both worlds, meaning to enjoy the privileges of both worlds, of course.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Serene Highness

maybe the hospital room where she will give birth will be declared Swedish soil for couple of hours. Wouldn't that be a solution? She would still give birth in "Sweden" yet in NYC.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Serene Highness

If that's how she feels then I don't know why they didn't marry in America as well. I feel she just used Stockholm to have all the trappings of a royal wedding and hasn't looked back since.

Tags
chris o'neill, pregnancy, pregnant, princess madeleine