Princess Madeleine & Chris O'Neill, Current Events 1: December 2012 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madeleine will not attend the Nobles - quote from her facebook page:
It saddens me that I won't be able to attend the Nobel Festivities this year. Due to the fact that I'm expecting a baby girl in February, it would be hard for me to participate in the lengthy program over the two days. My heart, however, will be in Stockholm.

Madeleine will not attend the Nobles - quote from her facebook page:
It saddens me that I won't be able to attend the Nobel Festivities this year. Due to the fact that I'm expecting a baby girl in February, it would be hard for me to participate in the lengthy program over the two days. My heart, however, will be in Stockholm.

Quite dramatic. The royal family are just as the honour guests at the Nobel ceremony, and Madeleine isn't the most important person there. So she can't participate at the lengthy program on two days while she is pregnant. But millions of women work for eight hours a day when they are 7 months pregnant. And Madeleine says nothing about that flying to Sweden would be tough, obviously because she and Chris are planning to fly to Sweden a week later.

Last edited:
I agree Lady Finn.

But maybe Madeleine is very uncomfortable or simply not having an easy pregnancy. I will try to give her the benefit of the doubt here.

Quite dramatic. The royal family are just as the honour guests at the Nobel ceremony, and Madeleine isn't the most important person there. So she can't participate at the lengthy program on two days while she is pregnant. But millions of women work for eight hours a day when they are 7 months pregnant. And Madeleine says nothing about that flying to Sweden would be tough, obviously because she and Chris are planning to fly to Sweden a week later.

I agree as well, I said it in another thread, although pregnant women have kind of a card blache, it looks a bit like nitpicking to me: nobels without Chris no thanks, mom's birthday a week later with Chris sure thing. We are talking about a swedish princess here whose duty it is to attend such events. To skip the most high profile event of the year of the SRF and attend a private one a week later leaves a bad taste. I would have understood if she had said, sorry guys, I cant fly anymore, thats it for me. I am curious if Madde goes back to NY after Silvia's birthday.

:ermm:Sometimes I get the impression that M is a bit spoiled, like she wants to have her cake and eat it tooooo. Over the years of viewing her, it seems that she like to *have it my way or the else*. I think being a royal you have a huge responsibility to your position and your country, it would have been better for her to go to the Nobles and done some small event without a lot of standing or sitting (say put in an appearance for the family) and stayed in Sweden for her mother's birthday. That would have made things look a lot better for her and still would have made the family look more on a positive side then negative. Her being this way does not make her look like she really wants to do the job, just to have the perks and be called a princess. Some non-royal women that have married crown princes of Europe have really taken on the role and done the job with flying colors, say now Queen Max whom I just adore. M really should decide how she wants to play the role of princess and wife, she can do both but not one just when she feels like it.

And sometimes I think people just like nitpicking with Madeleine.

Every woman's pregnancy is different and we don't how the specifics of her pregnancy. What wrong with wanting to fly to Sweden once instead of twice within a short time period and in the company of her husband? How awful is that? Maybe she has an appointment of some sort in NY between the Nobels and her mother's birthday and can't fly back and forth. And she actually prefer to fly with her husband Did anyone think about that?

As previously stated Madeleine isn't the most important person there, so really it shouldn't matter if she doesn't attend. All you really need is the King, Queen, Victoria and the person being honoured.

Last edited:

I am a bit dissappointed now, too.
Why does she not fly to Stockholm and stays until after Christmas? She wanted to fly anyway..... being too stressful, gosh, why then just attending the first day, Dec 10th? And leaving out the other activities?
Victoria did the same 2 years ago....

Seems not to be a valid reason to me missing the most important Event of the year, sorry. And yes, this is a duty of a princess. Looking like spoiled to me, too.
BYe Bine

I am a bit dissappointed now, too.
Why does she not fly to Stockholm and stays until after Christmas? She wanted to fly anyway..... being too stressful, gosh, why then just attending the first day, Dec 10th? And leaving out the other activities?
Victoria did the same 2 years ago....

Seems not to be a valid reason to me missing the most important Event of the year, sorry. And yes, this is a duty of a princess. Looking like spoiled to me, too.
BYe Bine

Some airlines don't allow pregnant women to fly for safety reasons, and Madeleine is quite far along now, so perhaps that's why she isn't attending. Victoria lived in Stockholm during her pregnancy so it was "easier" for her.

However I do agree with you on some points, it's quite disappointing not to see Madeleine attend. Now that we know that Victoria won't be in attendance either, we'll be seeing less tiaras and gowns. :sad:

One does wonder...are we disappointed that Madeleine isn't attending because she isn't fulfilling one of her responsibilities as a Princess of Sweden or are disappointed because we won't be seeing her in a dress and tiara?!

And yes, there is a noticeable difference between Madeleine and Victoria. As previously noted, Victoria is based on Sweden and she is the heir to the throne whereas Madeleine is based in NYC and is what...number 4?

One does wonder...are we disappointed that Madeleine isn't attending because she isn't fulfilling one of her responsibilities as a Princess of Sweden or are disappointed because we won't be seeing her in a dress and tiara?!

And yes, there is a noticeable difference between Madeleine and Victoria. As previously noted, Victoria is based on Sweden and she is the heir to the throne whereas Madeleine is based in NYC and is what...number 4?

I tend to think it´s this one. Of course some are not very happy about Madeleine, but I doubt people would discuss this now, if CP canceled. IMO:

In my opinion (and just that, could be very much mistaken): the disappointment comes from a longer-lingering feeling that P.Madeleine doesn't commit to the Princess-work as much as some would like or as much as some would think she should.
It's perfectly understandable that she doesn't want to fly; but then she shouldn't come to her mother's 70th birthday either..
If P.Carl-Philip would cancel the Nobel-appointment, people would also critize, possible dragging the Sofia-feelings into it again..

However, if CP.Victoria or P.Daniel would cancel a thing like this, we would assume that they had a legitimit reason

Just a feeling of limited interest in royal life by the younger two siblings...

do we know for certain that she's going to sweden for her mum's birthday? if that's the case, then i guess it's not nice to say that she's not going to an official event happening only a week before.
if she's not going to the birthday, then i don't think it's such a big deal: while it's almost her duty, she's by far not the most important member of the family to be there and it's not like we are missing the king and queen, so i don't see it as a big deal.

do we know for certain that she's going to sweden for her mum's birthday? if that's the case, then i guess it's not nice to say that she's not going to an official event happening only a week before.
if she's not going to the birthday, then i don't think it's such a big deal: while it's almost her duty, she's by far not the most important member of the family to be there and it's not like we are missing the king and queen, so i don't see it as a big deal.

It was said in the announcement that she would not attend Nobel that she still plans to attend her mothers birthday celebrations.

I love Maddie, but this just doesn't make sense. I could perfectly understand that a woman who is 7 months pregnant doesn't want to make an intercontinental flight. However, it doesn't make sense when she won't travel this week for the Nobel ceremonies, but will travel in a few weeks for her mother's birthday. She could just stay in Sweden for the month of December, no?! She needs to be a good advisor.

I love Maddie, but this just doesn't make sense. I could perfectly understand that a woman who is 7 months pregnant doesn't want to make an intercontinental flight. However, it doesn't make sense when she won't travel this week for the Nobel ceremonies, but will travel in a few weeks for her mother's birthday. She could just stay in Sweden for the month of December, no?! She needs to be a good advisor.

I really don't care if I see Madde in a tiara and gown or not, but I can see her deciding not to stay for a prolongued period in Sweden (esp. at this time of year - burr, cold and dark). She's pregnant and she has reached her final trimester. Even in an uneventful pregnancy her doctor visits will be ramping up now. And maybe, just maybe, she doesn't want a long separation from her husband.

She could just stay in Sweden for the month of December, no?

Could be Chris can't be away that long, she want's to be near her own doctors and she is not up to all the fancy dress and tiara fuss just now-feeling unwell and huge. But I think her announcement was a bit much.

And sometimes I think people just like nitpicking with Madeleine.

Every woman's pregnancy is different and we don't how the specifics of her pregnancy. What wrong with wanting to fly to Sweden once instead of twice within a short time period and in the company of her husband? How awful is that? Maybe she has an appointment of some sort in NY between the Nobels and her mother's birthday and can't fly back and forth. And she actually prefer to fly with her husband Did anyone think about that?

As previously stated Madeleine isn't the most important person there, so really it shouldn't matter if she doesn't attend. All you really need is the King, Queen, Victoria and the person being honoured.

I agree with you, Zonk. We just don't know. When I was pregnant this year (I gave birth in june) I wouldn'z have been able to attend an event like the noble event. Simply because I had serious problems with my tailbone. I couldn't sit in one position for a longer period of time. It was really painful. Not even on a comfy couch. Maybe Madeleine has a similiar problem and that's why she won't attend the nobels. If thats the case I can totally understand her. But maybe she has another problem that won't allow her to attend. Because if she attends everyone would expect her to be all smiles and 100% there. If she feels like she can't give 100% it's absolutely okay that she won't attend.

And if she feels like she can attend whatever is planned fpr her mothers birthday, it's also okay. She is the pregnant one. She can decide best what she is capable of. And maybe she isn't even attending the official events of her mothers birthday but just comes over to congratulate and celebrate her mothers birthday in privat. Maybe the announcement that she won't attend the official events of her mothers birthday weill just be made after the nobles.

And maybe it's not even Madeleine who calls the shots here. Maybe Chris simply said "Darling, I don't want you to attend the nobles. I know you want to but you're overestimating yourself here. You know you have problems with this and that. Whatever the people say, our baby is 1st priority. Don't overdo it. It's not worth it." I'm absolutely sure that my husband would have stopped me from an event like that if I were in Madeleines place and would have had the problemes I had in my own pregnancy. And that would have been absolutely okay, because I'm not only myself anymore but also the mother of his unborn child. He would have had the right to stop me from doing something that wouldn't be good for me and the baby.

We simply don't know anything about how Madeleine feels, how the pregnancy really is going and what she is capable of right know. She is pregnant, she and Chris decide what is okay and what isn't. And no-one has the right to criticize her or him for it.

I agree with you, Zonk. We just don't know. When I was pregnant this year (I gave birth in june) I wouldn'z have been able to attend an event like the noble event. Simply because I had serious problems with my tailbone. I couldn't sit in one position for a longer period of time. It was really painful. Not even on a comfy couch. Maybe Madeleine has a similiar problem and that's why she won't attend the nobels. If thats the case I can totally understand her. But maybe she has another problem that won't allow her to attend. Because if she attends everyone would expect her to be all smiles and 100% there. If she feels like she can't give 100% it's absolutely okay that she won't attend.

And if she feels like she can attend whatever is planned fpr her mothers birthday, it's also okay. She is the pregnant one. She can decide best what she is capable of. And maybe she isn't even attending the official events of her mothers birthday but just comes over to congratulate and celebrate her mothers birthday in privat. Maybe the announcement that she won't attend the official events of her mothers birthday weill just be made after the nobles.

And maybe it's not even Madeleine who calls the shots here. Maybe Chris simply said "Darling, I don't want you to attend the nobles. I know you want to but you're overestimating yourself here. You know you have problems with this and that. Whatever the people say, our baby is 1st priority. Don't overdo it. It's not worth it." I'm absolutely sure that my husband would have stopped me from an event like that if I were in Madeleines place and would have had the problemes I had in my own pregnancy. And that would have been absolutely okay, because I'm not only myself anymore but also the mother of his unborn child. He would have had the right to stop me from doing something that wouldn't be good for me and the baby.

We simply don't know anything about how Madeleine feels, how the pregnancy really is going and what she is capable of right know. She is pregnant, she and Chris decide what is okay and what isn't. And no-one has the right to criticize her or him for it.
congratulations on your baby! And your points are very well taken. Isn't it true that their names were not included in the concert for her mother? I would assume if she is coming over for her mother's birthday, it would be for private time.
She will be entering her 8th month around her mothers birthday, many doctors do not advise long flights for the last 2 months, mine didn't.

IMO: For a lot of people out there EVERY decision that Madeleine took/takes/will take is wrong. I find it presumptuous to judge about her - she's pregnant and she's a free person. She can decide by her own what she's going to do and nobody has the right to judge about or to compare with what was CP Victoria doing while her pregnancy.

You cannot compare sisters pregnancies. My older sister had 9 children. Was never sick, worked until the baby was due. I had 4 and was sick ever single day of all 4 pregnancies. I was hospitalized every time. You just can't compare sisters.

Could be Chris can't be away that long, she want's to be near her own doctors and she is not up to all the fancy dress and tiara fuss just now-feeling unwell and huge. But I think her announcement was a bit much.

I agree with you. She didn't help herself by calling attention to what appears to be an inconsistent decision.

Oh, heck ... she certainly can do whatever she wants. Unfortunately, calling attention to an inconsistent decision just doesn't help her. Having said that .... I still like Maddie!

I am not so disappointed not to see Madeleine's dress or tiara, I am disappointed that she cancelled her attendance in the most important event of the year and especially since she does so few work duties for the royal family. Since she wants to hold her title as the Princess of Sweden she should work more. During the wedding some common people said that Madeleine should come out of the Palace for 10 minutes and meet the swedish people. Even Carl Philip has events around Sweden and he meets common people.

Last edited:
I don't understand the criticism of Madeleine over this Nobel thing. She's very pregnant and she lives in the US. It seems she's decided it's more important to be in Sweden for her mother's birthday than for the Nobel event. Or maybe she and her husband have another important event at home that week. She's not the heir or the spare. She's only No. 4. She might have been born a princess but she chose to marry a man who has a career in another country and that has consequences. Her life is now in that other country and she can't be at every Royal event in Sweden.

I don't understand the criticism of Madeleine over this Nobel thing. She's very pregnant and she lives in the US. It seems she's decided it's more important to be in Sweden for her mother's birthday than for the Nobel event. Or maybe she and her husband have another important event at home that week. She's not the heir or the spare. She's only No. 4. She might have been born a princess but she chose to marry a man who has a career in another country and that has consequences. Her life is now in that other country and she can't be at every Royal event in Sweden.
:previous:
Absolutely agree.

You cannot compare sisters pregnancies. My older sister had 9 children. Was never sick, worked until the baby was due. I had 4 and was sick ever single day of all 4 pregnancies. I was hospitalized every time. You just can't compare sisters.

That is true...but it seems, she is not sick, she has been seen several times during the last days visiting/Walking in Central Park....
Bye Bine

That is true...but it seems, she is not sick, she has been seen several times during the last days visiting/Walking in Central Park....
Bye Bine

How do you know she is not sick? Are you privy to some medical information that the general public isn't?

Any I am sorry...walking your dog for ten to twenty minutes a day isn't the same as flight over from NYC to Sweden plus an agenda of Nobel activities. Personally I am uncomfortable on a two hour flight... I couldn't imagine being 7 to 8 months pregnant on a transatlantic flight. Perhaps she only wants to do it once...and decided to come from her mother's birthday.

As previously stated every pregnancy is different so we don't know what Madeleine is experiencing and frankly is none of our business. Honestly I think the Cambridge's announced Kate's condition because of the relentless British press.

Kitkat2006....congratulations on the birth of your baby!:ROFLMAO::flowers:

So everything abou the gender of her baby and the due date was true! :) A baby girl and the date switched from " early March" to february! I think it was right the 25 th February then

Perhaps she only wants to do it once...and decided to come from her mother's birthday.

Madeleine would have done one flight only anyway, she would not have flown back and forth between Nobles and birthday. I see it this way, she is a swedish princess and she should let her work (duties she has as a princess of sweden) do the talking, not her facebook site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom