Princess Madeleine & Chris O'Neill, Current Events 1: December 2012 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
It looks like one to me as well.

:previous: No doubt we have all seen many pictures of joints and can identify them :innocent:.

Can't say I have seen many joints but I have seen many cigarettes (unfortunately, most members of my family are heavy smokers), and it doesn't look like one to me. Besides, it's highly unusual to share a cigarette with anyone else; why not just light your own one?

I don't know, I've been around smokers my whole life and I have seen many people share one. It's pretty normal to me.

Well News (which is in my opinion more a rag magazine than a serious journal) claims that they are smoking a self-made cigarette. Do not know the exact term for that in English but you can buy tobacco and cigarette paper in shops in Austria and then make yourself a cigarette. And by that I mean a cigarette and not a joint. The difference between a Marlboro for example and a self-made cigarette is that you can use as much tobacco as you want for your cigarette. In the end it appears to be cheaper too for heavy smokers. At least that's what my friends claim.
And sharing cigarettes among friends is in fact quite common here too. Personally I also think it is a self-made cigarette and not a joint.

Can't say I have seen many joints but I have seen many cigarettes (unfortunately, most members of my family are heavy smokers), and it doesn't look like one to me. Besides, it's highly unusual to share a cigarette with anyone else; why not just light your own one?

It does seem like a cigarette in 2 of the 3 pictures. As many noticed in the two pictures it is too thick and regular to be a joint.
It is common to pass a cigarette if you don't feel like smoking a whole cigarette by yourself.
I'm not a weed smoker, but i don't think it would be the best idea to smoke a joint before skiing!
Also if it looks like a joint, it doesn't mean it is as it could be a self made cigarette

Joint or cigarette, does it really matter one way or the other? No one was arrested. No one was hurt. No big deal. Slow news day.

From view you won't necessarily be able to tell the difference between a regular self-rolled cigarette (shag tobacco) and one that has a bit of weed rolled into it...
You need to smoke it to spot the difference.
Sharing is also done with regular ciggies (some people are sharers, some aren't :) )

But i agree: slow news day, time for some births or something :)

I may have missed a number of posts about Princess Madeleine and Mr O'Neill. But I have seen suggestions that he will be made a Swedish Duke and should be obliged to become Swedish and undertake official engagements here. None of these things seems very likely to me. Princess Margaretha (the Swedish King's elder sister) for example was married to an English commoner, John Ambler, but although he visited the Swedish Royal Family at their Summer home on Öland and participated in Autumn hunts with the King, as far as I am aware he was never (or very seldom)involved in official events in Sweden, and of course was never given a Swedish title or made to become a Swedish citizen.

Of course things were different with the Haga 'sessor. They lost their royal status when they married non-royals. Princess Madeleine will not. But that does not mean that Mr O'Neill will necessarily become Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.

I haven't seen that many pictures of the two of them together in Sweden (or did i miss it?), my feeling is that if they were interested in an 'active royal' life there, they would have already started to make some effort?
(not that i think they should.. as long as they are happy, that's plenty :) )

I do not think it is a joint if only because skiing and smoking a joint do not go very well together. :)

Exactly...

Sure does look like a joint to me. Not just the "cigarette" but the way they are treating it and handling it. they sure are stupid.

Sure does look like a joint to me. Not just the "cigarette" but the way they are treating it and handling it. they sure are stupid.

Royals constantly have to bear in mind, what are the expectations of citizens towards them, and re-think their attitude, if needed. While they used to enjoy a lot of tolerance from citizens, there are now greater demands towards them. They should be examples of reasonable and recommendable behavior in all circumstances, public or private. Are they willing to accept to sacrifice their habits, addictions etc..? Of course they will argue that when being on private activities, paps should not be there to report about them, and respect their privacy. Daniel touched upon that in the recent video about the year 2012, if I understood him correctly.

Looks like a normal cigarette to me. Sweethearts sharing a cigarette is hardly a novelty.

Anyway, smoking giggle-weed in a public area in a resort where it's crawling with photographers and nosey people ready to inform the press of anything, would be monumentally stupid.

I think it is pretty obvious that Madeleine has and is making a very obvious statement . . . "I was born a Princess and that is an accident of birth. I did not make any promises to be a sterling role model when I was born, my baby footprint is on no contract . . . so back off!"

She is merely the cosseted daughter of very wealthy parents, probably has a trust fund courtesy of her parents, grandparents, etc. In this she is hardly alone as there are thousands of women in the same position. The fact that her father is a king and her sister a future queen is irrelevant. She, like Princess Stephanie, has obviously decided what she wants for her future and it is not cutting endless ribbons or merely becoming an ageing decoration.

Who is to say she has not made the right choice. Not all of her choices will be wise but then, whose are?

I agree with this; Madeleine has never seemed overly interested in taking an active role in official Swedish royal life. Given her position in the royal family I think it's probably a good thing that she wants to go off and make an independent life for herself. What's the alternative, after all? Hang around Sweden and try to carve out a place for herself while listening to constant and increasing amounts of complaining about "taxpayers' money?" She's young, well off and healthy, (although that will probably change at some point with the smoking). IMO she doesn't owe the public anything. If she wants to live the life of a wealthy socialite that's up to her.

That looks like a joint to me. Especially with the way they're holding it and passing it around the group.

What if it's a cigarette/joint... Mind blown ...you're welcome

But it´s not even lit when Chris gets the cigarette.

And hereby I mean cigarette, not a joint.

You're correct, it is not a joint! It is a cigarette! I can't see Maddy being a pot smoker first off and secondly, it's too fat and has too much ash to be a joint.

NO I DO NOT PUFF! I have been around and seen many people who do, and my brother did. This is simply a rolled up cigarette from papers and tobacco.

Finnish MTV3 quoting the story in Expressen
Madeleine comments the photo where she and Chris are smoking to Johan T Lindwall from Expressen. She tells that they have been trying to stop smoking, but it isn't easy.
- We are at the photos with our friends. We don't carry cigarrettes with us, we want to quit, Madeleine assures.
The photos have got a lot of disapproval.
- The situation may look bad, but it has an explanation. At this lunch a friend of the couple had cigarrettes. Swiss people are rolling their own cigarrettes, it is very common in Switzerland, Director of the press, Bertil Ternert commented to Expressen.
Madeleine thinks that she should stop smoking because of her status. She has once managed to stop, but started again. Madeleine and Chris have together promised to stop smoking after the skiing holiday.
- I have spoken about this with Madeleine many times. Both she and Chris want to stop smoking, says Ternert.
Madeleine has during the last days represented in Sweden with Childhood Foundation. At the weekend she left Sweden to New York to Chris.
Madeleine selventää paheksuttua kuvaa tupakoinnistaan - Uutiset - Viihde - MTV3.fi

These explanations are a little odd, when there are other photos from the ski trip with Madeleine a cigarrette and cigarrette box in her hand.
http://s02.imageupper.com/1/1/Q13579238821466947_2.jpg
http://s02.imageupper.com/1/1/Q13579238821466947_3.jpg
http://imageupper.com/s04/1/5/W1357999127146221_1.jpg

A spokesperson from the swedish royal court contacted yesterday austrian newspage Heute and told that it was a normal cigarrette Madeleine was smoking, not a joint.
Schwedisches Königshaus Prinzessin Madeleine rauchte doch keinen Joint! Heute.at

Last edited:
I get that Madeleine should stop smoking for her own health, but I don't see why the royal court has to comment on it.

I get that Madeleine should stop smoking for her own health, but I don't see why the royal court has to comment on it.

Probably because smoking a joint is a crime in most places, and most likely where they were skiing. I get that marijuana is harmless, but I don't think royals should knowingly break the laws of the jurisdiction they are in.

It's a roll your own cigarette. I had a friend who use to roll his own because he was too cheap to buy a pack

^^^Probably because there's been a lot of comment and controversy over whether it's a joint or cigarette and the palace felt it had to step in and clarify the matter.

Last edited:
Does anyone know which languages Chris O'Neill speaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom