The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent

How often did Jonas accompany Madeleine on her official engagements when they were engaged? They were both living in Sweden and she was a full time working royal so there must have been plenty of times when he could have been there with her, even though he did have his own full time career.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Do they plan to live and raise their children in USA?

Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I actually find it kinda odd that he will not attend these official engagements. I think it would be nice for Chris to accompany Madeleine as Daniel accompany Victoria. Daniel was we enough to attend official engagements after his surgery, he was there beside Victoria.
Its an apples to oranges comparison IMO. Daniel married the Crown Princess of Sweden and the future Queen, he has a lifetime of engagements in front of him. Madeline is 4th in line to the throne, and if Victoria (not to be mention Carl Phillip) have more children she will fall further down the line of succession. She is preparing for a life out of the limelight. Something her husband to be seems to be okay with (and Sofia should emulate).

Yes, Chris should be seen out and about in Sweden when he visits and a couple of engagements a year but thats about it. I mean really, how often does one see the King's sisters....not a lot.

Just because we (and by we I mean Royal watchers) enjoy watching and keeping up with Madeline doesn't mean she wants a life in the spotlight. Not everyone does. Especially if you were born in a fishbowl. IMO Madeline is smart, she recognizes she has a small public role in Sweden and she is okay with it.

In reference's to Chris's work schedule, who knows what time of agreement he has about time off. But yes, Americans typically get at least 2 weeks of vacation, and an additional weeks if you are long term employee. Considering his type of job, I would imagine he has more than 2 weeks but not a lot of free time. So he needs to use his free time sparingly.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps he won't attend it because he can't speak swedish!
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Majesty

I guess we will see Chris a bit more during the King's Jubilee celebrations next year.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Ok, it's just getting weird now. I understand him not attending events with her when he has work and is in a different country, but not going when he's in Sweden with her and she's attending? Does this strike anyone else as quite odd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I actually find it kinda odd that he will not attend these official engagements. I think it would be nice for Chris to accompany Madeleine as Daniel accompany Victoria. Daniel was we enough to attend official engagements after his surgery, he was there beside Victoria.
Unless Chris understand Swedish completely, I understand why he won't attend the meeting at the Swedish Academy, it can't be neither interesting nor give him any understanding of the Swedes to sit through a couple of hours listening to speeches in a language he doesn't understand.

I would think that Chris is going to follow in the footsteps of the two non-Swedes that married Swedish princesses in the 1960ies (John Ambler and Hansi Hohenzollern), and not take part as much in Madeleine's royal duties here in Sweden, attending family events but not accompany her in her official duties as a princess. If he chooses that path my opinion is that he makes a good decision, as he doesn't live in Sweden and there is no reason for him to take on any royal duties.

(Sorry to all those here who wants to see both Carl Philip's and Madeleine's future spouses as working members of the Royal Family, Sweden is a small country and I think it's enough to have four full-time working royals and two additional part-time royals (without their spouses) in the next decades until the child(ren) of Victoria are old enough to take up their royal duties.)
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Since Madeleine isn't a full time working Royal in Sweden I don't think anyone has any notion that she's suddenly going to hit the ground running with Chris in tow. But, on those few occasions when she does put in an official appearance, such as the Nobel's, where the recipients speak the languages of the world, it would have been nice to see him at her side.

Personally I think accepting such an invitation and then cancelling "for work" at the last moment, incredibly rude, especially when he was up for a very long weekend+ of wedding fun and frolics in the snow. It is not as if he was required to do any more than any other member of Madeleine's family . . . show up, look good, act appropriately and smile! The again, to be honest, he has been struggling somewhat with that last bit . . .
Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Gentry

I can't wait for that wedding
Old 12-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Aristocracy

I just saw a picture of princess madeleine when she was seen skiing a few days ago and Jonas was with them. I understand at the wedding, but that was weird. However, it's good if Jonas presence doesn't bother her
Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wok_kym View Post
I just saw a picture of princess madeleine when she was seen skiing a few days ago and Jonas was with them. I understand at the wedding, but that was weird. However, it's good if Jonas presence doesn't bother her
Maybe she forgave him already?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Maybe she forgave him already?
They were all four together at a wedding already in August 2011. According to the swedish media Madeleine doesn't want to talk with Jonas at all.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
They were all four together at a wedding already in August 2011. According to the swedish media Madeleine doesn't want to talk with Jonas at all.
And i understand them at weddings because they have friends in common, but going to ski? weird!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

For that i ask if she forgave him.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Courtier

The only thing I find strange is that a couple of times now it's been announced Chris would accompany Madeleine to an event and then he hasn't wound up going. They, (Chris, Madeleine, the SRF and their PR team), need to get their acts together on this because it does look rude to cancel like that, especially when talking about high profile events.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
The only thing I find strange is that a couple of times now it's been announced Chris would accompany Madeleine to an event and then he hasn't wound up going. They, (Chris, Madeleine, the SRF and their PR team), need to get their acts together on this because it does look rude to cancel like that, especially when talking about high profile events.
According to Ternert Chris will attend today at the Swedish Academy's formal gathering, even though Ternert said on Monday that Chris will not attend. The court has changed it's policy, I don't remember Nina Eldh constantly commenting where Daniel and Jonas will attend or will they not attend.

It seems that the common friends of Madeleine and Jonas have stayed neutral after they broke their engagement, since they have been inviting both to their weddings and other celebrations.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:19 PM

Hi all, I'm new to the Royal Forums. I'm very fascinated by royalty and nobility, but I don't know all of their "rules". I was wondering if Princess Madeline could choose to keep her given name and title as opposed to take up her husband's names. Same question goes for other royal/noble brides, can they keep their given names and titles, instead of taking their husband's names and titles (if they have any). Also, what if they have a higher (?) title than their husband?

I know that for the rest of us "normal" people we can keep our maiden names, my mum kept hers when she married my dad. Or some people hyphen it.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mllegdec View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the Royal Forums. I'm very fascinated by royalty and nobility, but I don't know all of their "rules". I was wondering if Princess Madeline could choose to keep her given name and title as opposed to take up her husband's names. Same question goes for other royal/noble brides, can they keep their given names and titles, instead of taking their husband's names and titles (if they have any). Also, what if they have a higher (?) title than their husband?

I know that for the rest of us "normal" people we can keep our maiden names, my mum kept hers when she married my dad. Or some people hyphen it.
Welcome abroad, Mllegdec!

Princess Madeleine will keep her title. Chris may or may not become a Duke jure uxoris (by right of the wife), depending on whether it's intended for him to become a Swedish citizen and working member of the Royal Family, or not. When Madeleine's first engagement to Jonas was announced, it was also clarified that Jonas would be Duke of Halsingland and Gastrikland (male forms of Madeleine's titles). As for the surname, most countries offer the woman the choice to keep her maiden name, or take her husband's family name. Sweden is no exception.

Traditionally, a woman uses the highest of her available titles. For instance, when Princess Alexandra of Kent married Angus Ogilvy, she kept her title Princess and her style of Royal Highness, becoming Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Mrs Angus Ogilvy (after her husband was knighted she became Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy). Similarly, when Duchess Sophie in Bavaria married Alois, Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein, she retain the use of her style of Royal Highness (members of the Princely Family of Liechtenstein are Serene Highnesses), becoming Her Royal Highness The Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein.

Of course, rules differ from country to country. In Japan, if an Imperial Princess marries a commoner, she automatically relinquishes all her styles, titles and position in the Imperial Family, and becomes an untitled commoner herself. For instance, when Her Imperial Highness Princess Sayako married Yoshiki Kuroda, she became just a plain Mrs. Yoshiki Kuroda.

Have a look at these threads which should give you a better idea how styles, titles and precedence work:

Questions about Swedish Titles
Question about Norwegian titles
Precedence - Who Outranks Who?
Questions About British Styles and Titles
Questions About non-British Styles and Titles

Royal Dukes, Royal Duchies and Royal Ducal Titles
Royal, Princely and Comital Titles
Nobility, Aristocracy and Titles
British Order of Precedence
Styles and Titles
Old 12-23-2012, 02:28 PM

Thank you so much Artemsia =)
Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Madeleine and Chris have been skiing in Gstaad. They were with friends. Madeleine, Chris and Louise Gottlieb stayed more independently in a chalet rather than hotel where other friends stayed.
Bertil Ternert says that he never comments on Princess Madeleine's holidays - precisely because they are private.
- In addition, I do not know what she has done, he says.
Här visar Madde och Chris sin kärlek öppet Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation
Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Madeleine and Chris are having a nice holiday in Gstaad with Louise Gottlieb and other friends. They seem to be on a good mood and have been seen hugging while skiing.
But Expressen writes: Here they smoke together
The organization A Non Smoking Generation reacts over that the princess appears at the photos with a cigarette in her hand, the chairman Ann-Therese Enarsson says:
- It's sad when role models, especially those with such an impact at the young women like she has, choose to smoke because it is so dangerous to your health.
Här ryker de ihop Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

The finnish press writes widely about Madeleine and Chris smoking together
Röökipari - Madeleine ja Chris sauhuttelivat yhdessä - todella ikävää - Kuninkaalliset - Ilta-Sanomat
Madeleine ja Chris sauhuttelivat Alpeilla – katso kuva - Uutiset - Viihde - MTV3.fi

Tags
chris o'neill, current events, princess madeleine