The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Spending 7 or more hours on board a flight, possibly with seatbelts required the entire way is not a good idea for a woman 7 months along. She was/is a regular smoker, at least up until the pregnancy. All of this combined puts her at risk for blood clots if she sits for extended periods of time without the ability to get up and get her blood circulating.

So she gets a pass from me until baby is born.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Its not that Madeleine is NOT taking a flight. Its that she takes one flight anyway, but not to attend the Nobles, but to attend her mother's birthday party a week later. There wouldn't be any discussion here if M had said that she wont come to Sweden at all because she doesnt want to fly at that stage of her pregnancy. Its about not attending the biggest event of the year for the SRF but to attend a private birthday party around the same time.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Madeleine is told to attend at the Queen's birthday celebrations:
- 18th December, reception at the Royal Palace (official event, not private)
- 19th December, concert at the Oscarsteatern (official event, lasts about 2 hours)
- 23th December, the Queen's birthday (private)

I think that all people, also the royals, have been raised to respect the hosts of the events they have confirmed to attend. Madeleine, the Princess of Sweden is one of the honour guests at the Nobel banquet. She is placed at the middle of the Table beside a Nobel Laureate. She is not just one guest at the table no 26. It is quite impolite to cancel her attendance only a couple of days before and put the hosts to think how they can reorganize the Table of Honour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Madeleine will not attend the Nobles - quote from her facebook page:
It saddens me that I won't be able to attend the Nobel Festivities this year. Due to the fact that I'm expecting a baby girl in February, it would be hard for me to participate in the lengthy program over the two days. My heart, however, will be in Stockholm.
This birthday schedule seems odd when considering Madeleine's FB post as it seems not only her heart will be in Stockholm the following week.

Essentially, the debate seems to be that Madeleine chooses to skip what is seen as an obligation while coming to Sweden for Mum's birthday celebrations. If she is coming to Sweden anyway her pregnancy is obviously not the issue when it comes to flying so her FB post seems a little disingenuous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I actually think you are making this sound harder for the event planners than it really is.

Madeleine is at the Table of Honour but she doesn't play a key role (unless I am missing something). Does she make any speeches, hand out any awards, etc. Or does she just sit on the stage and/or table?
If that is the case, than you remove a placesetting at the table and you take a chair off the stage.

Its an inconvenience and not a tragedy.

And according to posts you provided in the The Nobel Prize 2013, they have already reorganized the Table of Honour. And this from the planner.

So crisis averted!
No one is saying it is a "crisis" merely that it is inconsiderate to give a few days notice that you will not be attending . . . 'I'm having a baby in February and can't manage a 2 day event, don't you know' but the following week she'll be right for Mums 3 day birthday bash!

As to the sarcasm regarding the part she plays? Well she doesn't just "attend", she sits beside a Laureate and is expected to essentially act as a royal hostess. That is what she was brought up to do on behalf of her family and her Country. Now, with the unfortunate absence of CP Victoria and the Prime Minister, the gaps are getting harder to plug.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Courtier

From the 2013 Nobel prize, the winners and their work should (and will) be remembered, not which particular royal will play host at this evening

If she doesn't feel up to it, she shouldn't come, maybe she should also consider performing less princess duties all together

Old 12-10-2013, 05:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post

If she doesn't feel up to it, she shouldn't come, maybe she should also consider performing less princess duties all together
I think this is the general direction she is headed in...... until she decides she quite fancies putting on a expensive frock and some family jewels and she pops up again.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Annika Sönnerberg from the court press department told to Aftonbladet that Madeleine has her work at Childhood but she has no idea what Madeleine does at the time of the Nobels. Sönnerberg told also that Madeleine's pregnancy doesn't prevent her to fly to Sweden, she has planned to attend at the Queen's birthday and the court goes on information that she will attend.
Victoria flänger över halva världen | Nyheter | Aftonbladet
Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Nobility

We should remember that it is the director of the Nobel foundation and his wife who are the host and hostess for the award ceremony and the banquet and not the royal family. It is only the dinner at the Palace tomorrow the royal family are hosting. The only member of the royal family who has to attend todays events is the King himself as he is to hand over the Prize's
Old 12-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

KitKat2006; congratulations on the arrival of your little one!
I've been re-reading and thinking about this discussion and have made some changes to my opinion. Half of me sympathizes with Madeleine; I've heard that the Nobels is a fairly long event, so this might be difficult for a woman in her last months of pregnancy. As GracieGiraffe said, flying isn't great in the last months of pregnancy (I can't speak from experience, but I've read and heard this elsewhere). However the other half of me is still a bit unsure about this, as she said that she can attend her mother's birthday celebrations but not the Nobels. She still has to fly to her mother's birthday celebrations as they are in the same town and country.

However, she is pregnant, so I think I'll sympathize with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogpearl View Post
IMO: For a lot of people out there EVERY decision that Madeleine took/takes/will take is wrong. I find it presumptuous to judge about her - she's pregnant and she's a free person. She can decide by her own what she's going to do and nobody has the right to judge about or to compare with what was CP Victoria doing while her pregnancy.
I was simply saying that it was easier for Victoria to attend the Nobels as she lives in Sweden. That's all. IMO I wasn't comparing, but observing. IMO it's quite natural for siblings to be compared (think of William and Harry/HM and Princess Margaret in Britain). On the other hand, everyone's pregnancies are different, as others have pointed out.

Also, I respect how everyone has different opinions and points of views on things, but I believe that everyone has the right to compare/observe and share their ideas.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
KitKat2006; congratulations on the arrival of your little one!
Thank you. And also thank you to the other two or three users who congratulated. Our son was born four days after Madeleines and Chris wedding. I was afraid for month that I maybe couldn't watch the wedding. I already missed Victorias and Daniels wedding due to an event I absolutely couldn't cancel. I didn't want to miss this wedding to. And thankfully, my little one waited long enough to make his very own appereance.

But back to the topic, because I don't want to get a warning from the admins here:

Out of curiousity I watched the livestream of the nobel banket and parts of the nobel ceremony. What I see (not only from pictures but live) are hundreds of people in a room which might be big, but is not big right now with all those people in it. I can imagine it's very warm in there, the air is not good the longer the banket lasts and it's also very loud. Comparing it with my very recent pregnancy-experience I can absolutely understand Madeleine for not attending. My godson had confirmation when I was 8 month pregnant and that was hard enough for me. Attending an event as big as the nobel ceremony and the nobel banket would have killed me.

Edit: Also imagine wearing those shoes if you have water in your feet. Not something I want to expierence.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I've never been pregnant so I can't comment on that side of things but if Madeleine is feeling well enough and able to make the exact same journey from New York to Sweden for her mothers birthday in a few days time, then the fact she's not making the journey a few days earlier to attend the biggest event in the royal swedish calendar shows a lot about her commitment to her "job" in my opinion.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I've never been pregnant so I can't comment on that side of things but if Madeleine is feeling well enough and able to make the exact same journey from New York to Sweden for her mothers birthday in a few days time, then the fact she's not making the journey a few days earlier to attend the biggest event in the royal swedish calendar shows a lot about her commitment to her "job" in my opinion.
I don't think the journey is the issue, I think the numerous functions she would have to attend for the Nobel is the issue.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I don't think the journey is the issue, I think the numerous functions she would have to attend for the Nobel is the issue.
I agree with that. On a plane she can rest, sleep for a while, walk up and down for a while, going to the loo every 5 minutes and receive some massages from her husband. She also doesn't have to smile for hours, make conversation and trying her hardest not to faint. It's a very big difference to the nobels. And maybe she's not even attending the official events of her mothers brithday. Maybe she or the court just hasn't / haven't announced it yet. And maybe there was a little problem and her doctor said she should wait a few days for safety reasons to make the big flight over to Sweden. We simply don't know why exactly she canceled her attendence at the nobels, but we shouldn't hold it against a heavily pregnant woman.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
I agree with that. On a plane she can rest, sleep for a while, walk up and down for a while, going to the loo every 5 minutes and receive some massages from her husband. She also doesn't have to smile for hours, make conversation and trying her hardest not to faint. It's a very big difference to the nobels. And maybe she's not even attending the official events of her mothers brithday. Maybe she or the court just hasn't / haven't announced it yet. And maybe there was a little problem and her doctor said she should wait a few days for safety reasons to make the big flight over to Sweden. We simply don't know why exactly she canceled her attendence at the nobels, but we shouldn't hold it against a heavily pregnant woman.
I completely agree with the statement I bolded. I have never been pregnant but I can only imagine how difficult it is for a woman who is very pregnant.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Courtier

Would it not have been better for the royal court to have not said one way or another if she was going then none of this would have happened as she'd never have officialy been going. If, as has happened, she wasn't well enough to attend they could have said she wasn't ever going to and if she was well enough they could have said she was always going to go.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Would it not have been better for the royal court to have not said one way or another if she was going then none of this would have happened as she'd never have officialy been going. If, as has happened, she wasn't well enough to attend they could have said she wasn't ever going to and if she was well enough they could have said she was always going to go.
This thought also crossed my mind a few times. That would have been best.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Courtier

People just have to stop looking for the negative in everything. Such negative outlooks seem to me to be an indication of a very sour person.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Being heavily pregnant is not fun. I finished up work in both my pregnancies at 37 weeks. And believe me, it was a struggle to get to work. I would have hated travelling on a plane in the last three months.

In those last months, you're tired and sore. If she's suffering from sciatica, then she would have been ordered to rest. If I had to chose between the Nobels and my mother's birthday celebrations, it would be a no-brainer!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:29 AM
Courtier

Again, she shouldn't come if she doesn't feel up to it, people who haven't been pregnant cannot imagine what it is like and should not judge, but...
people who have been pregnant shouldn't judge based on their own experience
as mentioned it's different for everybody, and we should also note that we think we can relate to 'mothers birthday' but in her case that's quite different from our own mother's birthdays
plus: the Nobel ceremony is not 'some party' where you attend or don't, if you don't feel like it, it's a work-obligation in a job where you cannot always do as you would like.

The Princess business comes with lots of obligations, more than most of us can relate to based on our own line of business

I agree however that this (not the first time) is an example of bad communication by the PR-people of the SRF
Old 12-11-2013, 07:00 AM
Serene Highness

http://www.aftonbladet.se...yheter/article17997392.ab
Accodin to Aftonbladet she has Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction (almost every woman during pregnancy suffers it)
Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Accodin to Aftonbladet she has Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction (almost every woman during pregnancy suffers it)
Not every woman suffers it.
You can have it in a mild way, but it can affect you so seriously, that you even have to stay in bed
Old 12-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Madeleine's are exactly where they should be. There will be Nobel ceremonies next year and the year after and forever after. Her mother will on turn 70 once. I think her decision shows her as a member of a royal family. IMO that shows a woman who's priority is family. I'd be disappointed is she chose the other way around.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Yes, I had it to (I just didn't know how it was called in english). And it's no fun. That much I can tell you. No wonder she wasn't there yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Again, she shouldn't come if she doesn't feel up to it, people who haven't been pregnant cannot imagine what it is like and should not judge, but...
people who have been pregnant shouldn't judge based on their own experience
as mentioned it's different for everybody, and we should also note that we think we can relate to 'mothers birthday' but in her case that's quite different from our own mother's birthdays
plus: the Nobel ceremony is not 'some party' where you attend or don't, if you don't feel like it, it's a work-obligation in a job where you cannot always do as you would like.

The Princess business comes with lots of obligations, more than most of us can relate to based on our own line of business

I agree however that this (not the first time) is an example of bad communication by the PR-people of the SRF
If you don't feel well when your pregnant you go to your doctor. And if your doctor decides you should slow down and don't do big events like the nobels, you simply don't go to the nobels. No matter if you are a princess or a commoner.

Tags
chris o'neill, current events, princess madeleine