The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
But out of respect for your fiancee's country, and her family which happens to be it's royal family, wouldn't you? For many, it means embracing your future spouse's country and heritage.
I do think Chris has taken things too far in some instances; there is, after all, a difference between refusing to pander to the public, (a good thing), and not making any effort whatsoever. A couple of times I've gotten the impression that he's going out of his way to make sure people realize how negatively he sees the royal and public aspect of Madeleine's life.

IMO, if you agree to participate in something like a big royal wedding then you have an obligation to fake some enthusiasm for the whole thing.

That being said, he doesn't really matter, does he? If he was Victoria's future husband his attitude would be more concerning, but after the wedding tomorrow, IMO, Madeleine's days as a Swedish princess are essentially over. She and Chris will go back to their real lives as independently wealthy ex-pats in NY and I anticipate that Chris, especially, will very rarely be seen in Sweden.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Serene Highness

The bride and groom and the guests of honour will travel onboard S/S Stockholm tomorrow from Riddarholmen to Drottningholm Palace.

http://www.stromma.se/sv/Skargard/St.../SS-Stockholm/

The other guests will be travelling onboard M/S Gustafsberg VII and M/S Waxholm III

http://www.stromma.se/sv/Skargard/St...S-Waxholm-III/

http://www.stromma.se/sv/Skargard/St...stafsberg-VII/

I have traveled onboard all 3 in the Stockholm Archipelago where they are operating normally. They are very and comfortable boats.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
In the UK, I would sing "God Save the Queen." And then my father would shoot me.
You could always tell him you were singing "My Country Tis Of Thee". Same tune, different lyrics.

One thing is very obvious with this marriage. They want to be married to each other. This is what counts. Chris is an American. Madeleine is a Swedish princess. Of course she wants to be married in Sweden and have her father give her away. Chris feels uncomfortable singing the Swedish national anthem but as far as I know, he's not requested to have the US anthem also played (such as they do with sports teams from different countries). Perhaps he'll show his respects to Madeleine's parents but I can understand him not voicing (singing) a national anthem of somewhere he isn't actually involved with nor wants to be involved with. Maybe to him it would be hypocritical to do so. He doesn't want the royal life nor the royal trappings nor the fame and fortune that might come from that. To me, this kind of shows integrity and also shows me that he's marrying Madeleine because of who she is and not because of what she is.

Perhaps her relationship with Jonas was an intense, passionate one. Its not unusual for a grand passion to lose its flame and slowly die out. Perhaps in Chris she's found a relationship that fits on many other levels besides a grand passion. Only time will tell and I do wish the both of them health and happiness and that their troubles will all be little ones with the 2 am feedings, dirty diapers and sweet faces.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
That being said, he doesn't really matter, does he? If he was Victoria's future husband his attitude would be more concerning, but after the wedding tomorrow, IMO, Madeleine's days as a Swedish princess are essentially over. She and Chris will go back to their real lives as independently wealthy ex-pats in NY and I anticipate that Chris, especially, will very rarely be seen in Sweden.
I just remembered Madeleine once said she hoped to one day live a simple, normal life. I think she said that during her 18th birthday interview.

Well, if that's the case, so be it. But I agree that faking a little enthusiasm wouldn't hurt.

Is the King really funding all of this? Even the security? I would think some tax money will be helping a bit.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Courtier

Thank you Osipi! One of the best posts concerning M and Cs relationship ever IMO. Frankly I have never before read so many negative remarks about a Royal Wedding. Especially not about the groom. sigh
Old 06-08-2013, 02:15 AM
Courtier

Short interview with norwegian TV

German magazine BUNTE mentioned an interview of a Norwegian TV-Team with the groom:

Chris O'Neill: „Ich bin ein bisschen nervös!“ - BUNTE

And here is the link to the interview which unfortunately doesn't work for me as I do not have MS Silverlight on my Computer:

Maddes forlovede: - Er litt nervøs - TV 2 Play

Obviously he said that he's a bit nervous.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Nobility

It was not Jonas that grouped Madeleine's breast back 2001 in London, it was Erik Granath.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

I see Mr. Chris O'Neill has been named Knight Commander of The Royal Order of the Polar Star: The Order of the Polar Star - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

I like the other European royals award these honors right away.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Any news of where they are now???
Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wish them the best ! all the happiness in the world! and I imagine Jonas was crying in a corner!!! hahaha! I am happy she fund love and had a beautiful wedding after the the sadness of the relation with jonas
Old 06-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I wish them the best ! all the happiness in the world! and I imagine Jonas was crying in a corner!!! hahaha! I am happy she fund love and had a beautiful wedding after the the sadness of the relation with jonas
Jonas has also found a new love, he and Stephanie are getting married in August.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Jonas has also found a new love, he and Stephanie are getting married in August.
who is stepahanie? was she Madeleine friend?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
who is stepahanie? was she Madeleine friend?
Stephanie af Klercker was a good friend of Madde :)
Old 06-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Thank you Osipi! One of the best posts concerning M and Cs relationship ever IMO. Frankly I have never before read so many negative remarks about a Royal Wedding. Especially not about the groom. sigh
I agree with you Kit,it's a nice post from Osipi.
I am not a fan of Madeleine although I always thought she is one of the most beautiful princess around.All the negativity towards her couple and wedding is nauseating.
As for Christopher not singing the swedish national anthem why not having him or the swedish royal family singing La Marseillaise since the Bernadotte are of french descent
It's nice that he didn't renounce his british and american citizenship.The fact that he decided to stay in NY with Madeleine shows that he is willing to gain his own living.
Anyway,if both decided to stay in Sweden,they would have also been criticised for not working and living thanks to public taxes.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
I agree with you Kit,it's a nice post from Osipi.
I am not a fan of Madeleine although I always thought she is one of the most beautiful princess around.All the negativity towards her couple and wedding is nauseating.
As for Christopher not singing the swedish national anthem why not having him or the swedish royal family singing La Marseillaise since the Bernadotte are of french descent
It's nice that he didn't renounce his british and american citizenship.The fact that he decided to stay in NY with Madeleine shows that he is willing to gain his own living.
Anyway,if both decided to stay in Sweden,they would have also been criticised for not working and living thanks to public taxes.
I absolutely agree with you
Old 06-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
Any news of where they are now???
No, the swedish tabloids tell that they haven't been seen anywhere out in Stockholm. And no one knows if they have left to their honeymoon yet.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Serene Highness

If I may ask, someone had stated that if and when the happy couple decide to have children, the children will not be royal, is this a correct statement and if so is there a thread for this discussion? Im curious as to why children would not hold a title at all.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
If I may ask, someone had stated that if and when the happy couple decide to have children, the children will not be royal, is this a correct statement and if so is there a thread for this discussion? Im curious as to why children would not hold a title at all.
Svensk Damtidning has asked from the king's solicitor Axel Calissendorff will Madeleine's children be princes/princesses, he couldn't answer to that question. The king decides about the titles.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post

Is the King really funding all of this? Even the security? I would think some tax money will be helping a bit.
I remember hearing that the costs for the police and military would be covered by the state and the person interviewed likened it to how taxpayers shoulder the cost of the police for events like major football matches.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Hmmm, I was under the impression that she is only funded by the tax payer when undertaking official engagements on behalf of Sweden, and that her father was paying for her wedding.
As for the national anthems not a biggie for me. My sister is currently married to an American and living in the US. While she does stand for the US national anthem she does not sing it or place her hand over her heart. As she says she is not an American citizen and it is not her anthem. Her husband stands during God Save The Queen when in the Uk but he does not sing it because he is not a UK citizen. Neither seems to find it disprespectful to the others country. And yes, I know neither is a prince or a princess but the principle remains.
Seems, as is so often the case, that people are going out of their way to find something to be offended about.
I agree that it would be enough to show respect for the national anthem by standing still while it's played/sung. I didn't even note that Chris didn't sing along because I didn't expect him to.

Tags
chris o'neill, current events, princess madeleine