The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

http://hcd-1.imgbox.com/abuDBqYS.jpg...g&e=1370621840
strange photo!!!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
Yes, where did you find it? When has it been taken?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

yes, where? scanpix?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Courtier

it could be too that he is uncomfortable with his new language, not understanding what is going on and/or being said about him. I know that would make me feel uncomfortable and unsure.
He just looks like an extremely reserved person who does not wear his emotions on his sleeve, so to speak.
I know that I used to get criticised a lot when I was younger cause I never went around smiling or "looking" happy. But that did not mean that I was unhappy. Even to this day, I don't around smiling. I have what people call a poker face, but it's my attitude that reflects my mood. you can tell when I'm happy, mad, ect. maybe this is the same with him?
Also, to this day, my aunts and uncles speak in spanish around me "thinking" I know what they are saying, and it still makes me feel uncomfortable, even thou I get the jest of what is being said.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Courtier

Can't see the pic unfortunately. Access forbidden :-( Can somebody upload it?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Here ya go: http://i41.tinypic.com/nbxg10.jpg
Old 06-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Courtier

Thank you! Now I can see it. :-) Personally I think both are glad when the wedding fuss is over.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Thank you! Now I can see it. :-) Personally I think both are glad when the wedding fuss is over.
Me too. Probably counting the hours until the royal circus is over and praying for a honeymoon without being bothered by paps and then a normal life in NYC.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe he's Irish (half Irish anyway). Maybe he got the Irish melancholy gene. The melancholy Irish do, however, laugh uproariously when you get them started, so he may laugh in private, and photos don't capture it.

On my mother's side, a long line of 100% Irish. I've got their number, and mine.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Aristocracy

I think that Chris is being over-analysed too much.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:08 PM

I got a bad impression from Chris when he flipped the finger last November at photographers. That showed being bad tempered and not being ready to be in the spotlight, or not even caring how he came across to the Swedish people. Granted, he could've been having a bad day, but that was not a wise move.

I hope Madeleine isn't making a bad choice again. Supposedly, she and Jonas had a rocky relationship and they only got engaged just to save the relationship, which is not a good idea. A previous boyfriend was said to be a jerk. I think he was the one who groped her in a London park.

And I agree that Madeleine should've married in NYC. It's not right for Swedish taxpayers to pay for her wedding when she hardly spends any time there, or does any sort of work for Sweden. She does come across like a kept woman, living off taxpayers while shopping and partying without a care in the world. Her WCF "work" seems more like a PR stunt to me. Not to be cynical, but she comes across as aimless to me.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with Lucien, Sonjapearl and Vee. All have echoed my own thoughts about Chris and Madeleine. And just to put my 2 cents in, him not singing the national anthem yesterday was terrible. He's had a "few" months to learn it or learn how to fake it. No excuses. I believe in fact that his Swedish vocabulary will never progress beyond a few short sentences. I do however love seeing all the great dresses the ladies are wearing to this wedding.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

So when you go to other countries, you sing their national anthem?

I don't. And I don't know any Americans that do either.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-07-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

But out of respect for your fiancee's country, and her family which happens to be it's royal family, wouldn't you? For many, it means embracing your future spouse's country and heritage.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
But out of respect for your fiancee's country, and her family which happens to be it's royal family, wouldn't you? For many, it means embracing your future spouse's country and heritage.
Why should he "embrace her country"? She has decided not to live there, she has decided to, in effect, take on the American life with some Swedish charitable work in the US.

She isn't embracing it, it seems to me.

I feel for him. He doesnt seem to enjoy all the hoopla (good for him); he's going through it because she's a princess but he isnt interested in being part of that. He isnt after her status or money - he wants to be with her. Its the marriage he wants, not the wedding stuff.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
I don't think anyone can say Chris is an unhappy person just because he doesn't smile.

Chris was smiling and looked happy yesterday. Lets be real he is having to go from having a private life to having press follow and take pictures of him that can't be easy
Taken from my previous post:

"Since the first pics of them started to pop up after the announcement of their engagement, one thing I've noticed about him is that he doesn't seem to be a happy person. He HARDLY EVER smiles in ANY pic I've seen of him, so far."

Sorry, but I don't believe what I said indicated that I thought Chris IS an unhappy person. What I said --- to me, at least --- boils down to: Since their pictures have popped up since their engagement announcement, he hardly ever smiles, therefore he SEEMS to be unhappy, to me.

That was, and is, my observation and opinion.

As for Chris smiling and looking happy yesterday . . .

Sure, I've seen one or two pictures of Chris smiling and looking relaxed and happy since his engagement announcement, and I acknowledged that, too, in my post:

"If he's as shy/unhappy about getting married as 95% (at least) of his pics with and WITHOUT Maddie indicate, to me . . ."

I didn't say 100% of his pics. MOST of them are what I meant, and that's what I thought I said by indicating 95%.

And yes, I do think I am and can be real . . .

Sure:

" . . . he is having to go from having a private life to having press follow and take pictures of him that can't be easy."

No, it CAN'T be easy, and no reasonable person would ever think that it would be, I believe.

But to me, the OTHER side of that coin is that Chris is a grown man. He KNEW before he proposed that he wasn't going to be marrying Jane from across the street that he'd known since they were both still in high chairs.

It's the same difference as a reality TV show cast member complaining about the paps, etc., after their show has aired. THEY were the ones who decided to jump into that particular pool, knowing full well before they did so that the water might possibly be ice-cold before they jumped in.

So, whose fault IS it when they DO jump in and find that the water's 35/40 degrees, or even colder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Let's not forget that Chris is pretty much new to the royal scene. He and Madeleine didn't date for years so he could get a good feel of what life would be like in this new world he's about to enter.

I think everyone should get a chance to know him, instead of judging him right away.
I haven't forgotten.

See my statement, above, that begins with: "No, it CAN'T be easy . . .".

Then, see the paragraph that follows it, which begins with: "But, to me, the OTHER side of that coin . . .".

And --- just an observation ---if he and Maddie didn't date for years so he could get a good feel of what life would be like in this new world he's about to enter, seems to me as though he might be able to have been adjusted to it a bit better than he appears to be, at present.

Regarding: "I think everyone should get a chance to know him, instead of judging him right away."

See my paragraph, above, that begins with:

"It's the same difference . . .".

Just like reality TV stars (which I don't think very many of us know personally, either), nobody told Chris to jump into the Swedish Royal Family pool. By deciding to do so, he put himself out there TO be "judged", if you will. OR have people freely express their opinions regarding how he comes across to or is perceived to be by them.

To me, this is much the same way in which we remark about a royal's outfit: "Yes! I LIKE THAT!", or "My GOD! What she/he had on was HIDEOUS!"

Are we to be judged as "judging" them when we remark on an outfit being worn by one of them that may not be to our taste, and we state that?

Quote:
I got a bad impression from Chris when he flipped the finger last November at photographers. That showed being bad tempered and not being ready to be in the spotlight, or not even caring how he came across to the Swedish people. Granted, he could've been having a bad day, but that was not a wise move.
I addressed THIS in my post, as well:

"God KNOWS, he has no problem shooting a bird when he seems to be feeling beleaguered and set upon.

Which, to me, smacks of childishness.

I can understand shyness.

But give me a BREAK!"

This, coupled with the constant stream of pictures in which he looks so grim/unhappy, most times, is why my take on him is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
One of the great things about a major royal event is that all sorts of experts and people voice their opinion.
Yes, Muhler, they do.

And that's what makes life --- AND this board --- so lively and grand!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Why should he "embrace her country"? She has decided not to live there, she has decided to, in effect, take on the American life with some Swedish charitable work in the US.

She isn't embracing it, it seems to me.

I feel for him. He doesnt seem to enjoy all the hoopla (good for him); he's going through it because she's a princess but he isnt interested in being part of that. He isnt after her status or money - he wants to be with her. Its the marriage he wants, not the wedding stuff.
I'm sure you would have to admit it was rude and disrespectful of Chris not to sing the Swedish national anthem, not just to her family, but the whole country. He is marrying their princess - and it doesn't matter to Swedes if she doesn't care for her role anymore. She is living off their taxes and this wedding is being funded by their taxes. He can't show a little respect to the Swedish people by at least learning a little of their language? A few minutes of singing the anthem wouldn't have hurt much.

She's a princess from a country that actually has a monarchy - whether he, or even she, like it or not. Neither seem to care about the responsibility of that (ie, she lives off of taxpayer money). That is disrespectful.

I'll also add that by not singing the anthem, Chris was basically insulting his soon to be father-in-law. Carl Gustaf is a King, a figurehead of a nation. His job is to be the face of Sweden. And Chris refuses to honor that. Not good at all. I really would like to know what the King thinks of this.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

In the UK, I would sing "God Save the Queen." And then my father would shoot me.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'm sure you would have to admit it was rude and disrespectful of Chris not to sing the Swedish national anthem, not just to her family, but the whole country. He is marrying their princess - and it doesn't matter to Swedes if she doesn't care for her role anymore. She is living off their taxes and this wedding is being funded by their taxes. He can't show a little respect to the Swedish people by at least learning a little of their language? A few minutes of singing the anthem wouldn't have hurt much.

Hmmm, I was under the impression that she is only funded by the tax payer when undertaking official engagements on behalf of Sweden, and that her father was paying for her wedding.
As for the national anthems not a biggie for me. My sister is currently married to an American and living in the US. While she does stand for the US national anthem she does not sing it or place her hand over her heart. As she says she is not an American citizen and it is not her anthem. Her husband stands during God Save The Queen when in the Uk but he does not sing it because he is not a UK citizen. Neither seems to find it disprespectful to the others country. And yes, I know neither is a prince or a princess but the principle remains.
Seems, as is so often the case, that people are going out of their way to find something to be offended about.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
In the UK, I would sing "God Save the Queen." And then my father would shoot me.
literally. I love the Us national anthem, and find it really moving but I dont sing it and I'm there a lot.

It isnt just another song its about saying that you love your country and agree with what it stands for. So no, Chris shouldn't have to sing it.

Tags
chris o'neill, current events, princess madeleine