Princess Madeleine & Chris O'Neill, Current Events 1: December 2012 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO it's something completely different if you decide for yourself to post a private picture of yourself or if someone else is secretly taking pictures of you and selling them to gossip magazines. I can fully understand that Madeleine and Chris are annoyed.
Jacknch said:
Princess Madeleine and her husband are entitled to their privacy if and when they want it - especially on their honeymoon!
The fact that she has posted her own photos of herself on Facebook has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the issue of privacy. She chose to do so and was comfortable with that. Clearly what she is not comfortable with is the idea of being photographed by other people at certain times, and for them to gain financial benefit from such photos.
I completely agree..

At first I thought that photo the press released of them in their swimwear had to be an old one since Madeleine's hair seemed lighter, shorter and less sleek than it's been looking recently. Ha, some conspiracy theorist I am.

Now that pictures have come out, the media's interest is naturally going to wane. It's usually about being the first to break a story. The paper that released the pictures now has a contest for a trip to The Seychelles, but the winner probably won't get to stay at the same resort.

Only a few people know where the couple went on their honeymoon or where they are going on their honeymoon. This is not something that the couple would share with everyone who is employed by the royal family.

They should have gone to Cuba. Great beaches and friendly people, and not much chance of being hounded by paps.

Now that pictures have come out, the media's interest is naturally going to wane. It's usually about being the first to break a story.

I'm guessing this is what Madeleine and Chris are hoping. I think releasing the photos is their way of fighting back, and I think it is a good idea. I hope it works.

More photos at today's Expressen
The cover
http://www.expressen.se/ImageHandle...nal&guid=bcc91f80-9630-4e1b-85e6-4ac0d49e7def
http://www.expressen.se/ImageHandle...umn&guid=207f9778-ad82-4beb-ab69-a98f7517fe3e

Madeleine and Chris have been photographed reading books, from quite close, since Expressen knows what books they are reading. Chris read ”Nemesis: The true story of Aristotle Onassis, Jackie O, and the love triangle that brought down the Kennedys” , and Madeleine read a book "Livet efter dig" (A Life after You), a rather dark and bitter history, where romance is lined with trauma and personal tragedies.
Unlike older sister Victoria the princess couple has been secretive with the trip. Victoria and Daniel celebrated their honeymoon on a paradise island in the South Pacific. They lined up at the interview and pictures.
- We have an amazing time, said the Crown Princess and her Prince to Expressen's reporter Malin Roos when they took a boat to a beach to meet her.
But although the court said that there would be interviews after the wedding Madeleine and Chris have stayed away. Only yesterday Expressen could publish beautiful outdoor pictures of how good they have it, but then the princess complained on tabloids on Facebook.
Den nya sidan av Madeleine och Chris Prinsessbröllopet Madde & Chris Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

Last edited:
Good grief. No one should have to give interviews while on their honeymoon or have to worry about being papped. Is one thing to have to open up your wedding to the media and the public, its an entirely different thing to be expected to open up your honeymoon to the media and the public. Is the public really served by knowing what they read on the beach? What else does the public feel they need to know now, what they eat, what they wear to bed, how often they have sex??? Where does it end?
I bet if any poster here was on the receiving end of this crap they would be screaming blue bloody murder!!!
So much for past claims by some posters that the Swedish media only cover their royals when they are on official duties but leave them to the lead their private lives in private. Total BS. Expressen is obviously just as bad and malicious as anything London tabs could dish out.

Last edited:
there are only so many 5 star super luxury resorts to go to in the Seychelles or fiji or Tahiti etc. so its really not hard to put camera man in these locales. the odds are one of them will be correct. unless Madeline or Chris actually knew someone that owned a private tropical island that no outsiders knew the comings and goings of of then youd have seclusion and privacy. but you go to one of these resorts and you will get spotted

So much for past claims by some posters that the Swedish media only cover their royals when they are on official duties but leave them to the lead their private lives in private. Total BS. Expressen is obviously just as bad and malicious as anything London tabs could dish out.

I actually think this marks a new trend. Expressen has been a bit sleezier than Aftonbladet in the past, but this time they crossed the line. Up until now, most tabloids didn't publish paparazzi pics.

For what it's worth, our other tabloid Aftonbladet didn't post any pics of the royal couple. They wrote about the trip (after the location has been disclosed) and posted pics of the hotel and so on.

It will be really interesting to see how this will affect the royal familys relationship with the tabloids.

They should have gone to Cuba. Great beaches and friendly people, and not much chance of being hounded by paps.

Not very comfortable in Cuba. Also, I can imagine the hubbub from some quarters of the kings daughter going to a communist country on her honeymoon.

Not very comfortable in Cuba. Also, I can imagine the hubbub from some quarters of the kings daughter going to a communist country on her honeymoon.

Actually the hotels and private villas one can rent are more than comfortable and the beaches are amongst the best. You will meet people from all over the world on holiday there including Swedes. I myself usually go once or twice a year. It is only the Americans who have a problem with Cuba, although I have met Americans on holiday there who have traveled through Mexico, The Bahamas or Canada to get there.

I doubt if they are there. I have no problem wherever they chose to be. Comfortable and luxurious are quite different. Cuba is still behind the times, some of it is our fault ( the U.S.), there are better places to spend a vacation and, certainly, a honeymoon, when your budget is non-existent.

Actually the hotels and private villas one can rent are more than comfortable and the beaches are amongst the best. You will meet people from all over the world on holiday there including Swedes. I myself usually go once or twice a year. It is only the Americans who have a problem with Cuba, although I have met Americans on holiday there who have traveled through Mexico, The Bahamas or Canada to get there.

I agree with Countess, whose post is below yours. My family still lives in Cuba, and it's ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL, but I'd expect the accommodations are not as nice as 99% of other places in the Caribbean.

I should sen you a private message to see where you've been ....

Madeleine should take a deep breath, count to ten and take it easy. Your options today are to struck a deal or to go to a pap-free place. That is not the location they chose of course. But expecting to be left alone in this situation, plus complaining but posting on facebook at the same time, on what planet is she living? Hard to understand because Madeleine has been part of the game all her life, she should have understood by now that with the press it has to be give and take or nothing.

Its like Kate & William, in an ideal world people should respect your privacy. But in in reality, they dont. Get over it or act accordingly and move on. If she didnt expect what just happened she is either too arrogant or too naive or the honeymoon plan was another masterpiece organised by Ternert.

Media expert Paul Ronge on TV4 about Madeleine being angry to Expressen.

Ronge understands Madeleine in a way but she should understand that the tabloids want private photos too. You shouldn't criticize the tabloids about that they managed to take the photos, and you shouldn't lose your temper with the journalists, they are doing their job. You can't choose that the media takes just photos that are good and positive for you. Madeleine is a little like a reality star, she is known about that she is a princess and not about her work unlike Victoria who is seen ashardworking and professional. Yes, there should be a line which is enough, but you have to self make that line, like Victoria and Daniel did, they were interviewed and let themselves to be photographed on their honeymoon and then asked that they wanted to have some privacy. They had thought about that and it was good. Ronge thinks that Madeleine has herself written to Facebook about the photos, it was unprofessional and private. Ronge says that some people think that Madeleine and Chris should have been left in peace, but he has also spoken with royalists, who think that it would be better if Madeleine would give up her title and the apanage and live happily with her billionaire in NY.
Prinsessan Madeleine reagerar starkt mot pressen - Nyhetsmorgon - tv4.se

Last edited:
Sounds like the media trying to justify their own behaviour. The tabs in London used to do that all the time with Diana saying they were only doing things because the people wanted these kinds of pics and if there wasn't a market for them they wouldnt go after pics..

Media expert Paul Ronge on TV4 about Madeleine being angry to Expressen.

Ronge understands Madeleine in a way but she should understand that the tabloids want private photos too. You shouldn't criticize the tabloids about that they managed to take the photos, and you shouldn't lose your temper with the journalists, they are doing their job. You can't choose that the media takes just photos that are good and positive for you. Madeleine is a little like a reality star, she is known about that she is a princess and not about her work unlike Victoria who is seen ashardworking and professional. Yes, there should be a line which is enough, but you have to self make that line, like Victoria and Daniel did, they were interviewed and let themselves to be photographed on their honeymoon and then asked that they wanted to have some privacy. They had thought about that and it was good. Ronge thinks that Madeleine has herself written to Facebook about the photos, it was unprofessional and private. Ronge says that some people think that Madeleine and Chris should have been left in peace, but he has also spoken with royalists, who think that it would be better if Madeleine would give up her title and the apanage and live happily with her billionaire in NY.
Prinsessan Madeleine reagerar starkt mot pressen - Nyhetsmorgon - tv4.se
Paul Ronge certainly got it right when he refers to Expressen as "tabloid". No serious journalist would consider it their job to find or take pictures of Madeleine and Chris on their honeymoon. He is confusing journalists with paparazzi.

Paul Ronge is a media expert, he is right at that the PR of the wedding wasn't especially good, not before or after. That Chris cancelled the promised interview to SVT's program "The Year with the Royal Family", wasn't a very good thing. The media got used to a good service before Victoria's and Daniel's wedding with many TV-interviews and two big interviews at the newspapers GD and SVD, which the tabloids could write about too. And Victoria and Daniel gave interviews on their honeymoon to both Aftonbladet and Expressen. The media got used to a good service from the Royal Family then and are now disappointed.

So basically if they would have given an interview they would have been left alone by the paparazzi's? Yeah right.... Why shouldn't we critisize tabloids for inviding their privacy? This article by Ronge doesn't make any sense at all! Instead of writing on facebook Madeleiene/the court should start a law suit IMO.

Last edited:
So basically if they would have given an interview they would have been left alone by the paparazzi's? Yeah right.... Why shouldn't you critisize tabloids for inviding your privacy? This article by Ronge doesn't make any sense at all! Instead of writing on facebook Madeleiene/the court should start a law suit IMO.

To what avail? They are public persons on a public beach. Victoria got annoyed with the paps in Spain, didnt start a lawsuit either.
Making a deal would have been the only option and Chris should have avoided to annoy the press by cancelling an interview, not a good start.

These lawsuits are a waste of money and energy, will take you nowhere.

So basically if they would have given an interview they would have been left alone by the paparazzi's? Yeah right.... Why shouldn't you critisize tabloids for inviding your privacy? This article by Ronge doesn't make any sense at all! Instead of writing on facebook Madeleiene/the court should start a law suit IMO.

Victoria and Daniel gave interviews from their honeymoon to Expressen and Aftonbladet. After that they continued their honeymoon for over a month and there wasn't any paparazzi photos published. Perhaps Madeleine is more interesting for the American press, but I think Paul Ronge has it right, royals or other public persons shouldn't criticize the reporters about that they have done their job and found the couple from a famous holiday resort.
Victoria and Daniel were annoyed by the photographers in Spain, and returned home two days earlier than they had planned. But I haven't read from anywhere that they had complained about the press to anyone, they just left home.
Starting a law suit against the press from paparazzi photos from a famous holiday resurt is a waste of time.

I think preemptively releasing a photograph or granting an interview usually works. For the press, it's usually a competition to be the first to publish. I can't imagine that anyone would be interested in publishing/seeing pictures everyday of a month-long vacation and I don't think any new pictures have come out since the ones from Expressen and the one Madeleine herself posted.

The press were asking Madeleine and Chris for a joint interview leading up to the wedding and they promised to do one after the wedding. I think it would have made more sense to either just say outright that they would not be granting any joint interview or that they would do an interview once they got back from their honeymoon or were home in NY. Right now, the press really wants that first joint interview and after that's done, their interest is naturally going to wane.

In some way, the attempts to be inaccessible and secretive actually end up drumming up interest. Curiosity is part of human nature. Like instead of sneaking out of the country, maybe you're better off getting interviewed at the airport and just saying "Yes, we're leaving for our honeymoon. Please respect our privacy." ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom