Pre-Wedding Information for Madeleine and Chris

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe some royal houses think that if they sent representants to Madeleine's wedding, they have to also send someone to Carl Philip's wedding, and are cautious with it.

I don't think that, at least, the dutch royal house is that stupid:whistling:
The Netherlands will not send representants because the new King and Queen will first have to present themselves officialy to the King and Queen of Sweden.

Princess Beatrix will attend, as always, the Bilderberg Conference at Watford (UK) from 6 till 9 June 2013
Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien have weekend appointments, made a long time ago already

Source: RVD/ dutch radio

Last edited:
I suppose they could have sent some of the van Vollenhovens, though the bride probably hardly knows them. It is a pity that -as far as we know- Belgium, The Netherlands and Spain won't attend, esp. since the Swedes are usually the ones who are the most faithful in sending high representations abroad.

Anyway, if the Dutch king and queen can't attend as they need to officially present themselves first, I hope that they wait with that until after CP and Sofia's probable wedding. It saves them from participating in such a charade.

Last edited:
I suppose they could have sent some of the van Vollenhovens, though the bride probably hardly knows them. It is a pity that -as far as we know- Belgium, The Netherlands and Spain won't attend, esp. since the Swedes are usually the ones who are the most faithful in sending high representations abroad.

Anyway, if the Dutch king and queen can't attend as they need to officially present themselves first, I hope that they wait with that until after CP and Sofia's probable wedding. It saves them from participating in such a charade.

What a pity! Madeleine attended the wedding of Laurent and Claire, so a attendence of them would be quite appropriate....

SVT's (Swedish Television, which broadcasts the wedding) wedding page
Prinsessbröllopet SVT.se

Madeleine will not take O'Neill as her last name. On her application to the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) made in middle May she decided not to add O'Neill to her name. When she leaves the chapel, she is still just Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine.
- It is her decision, I have no comment on that, said Bertil Ternert.
But isn't it very uncommon in royal contexts?
- I don't know history, so I can not answer that, said Ternert.
According to royal expert Sten Hedman it is unusual, both Princess Birgitta and Margaretha took their spouses surnames when they married.
- Maybe it's a way to highlight the presence of Sweden. She wants to show that she is a swedish princess and I think she marks it in a rather cute way, Hedman said.
Madeleines val Nobbar O'Neill Prinsessbröllopet Madde & Chris Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV

Last edited:
I don't think it's that strange that she doesn't take O'Neill. She will keep HRH title, hence no last name. The kings sisters who married commoners (or, at lest not princes) - Desire, Margareta and Christina - lost the HRH. Birgitta, who married a prince, kept the HRH title. She doesn't have her husbands last name, she's just HRH princess Birgitta, just like Madeleine will be. Of course, I don't know for sure, but I think that might be the reson behind it all.

I don't think it's that strange that she doesn't take O'Neill. She will keep HRH title, hence no last name. The kings sisters who married commoners (or, at lest not princes) - Desire, Margareta and Christina - lost the HRH. Birgitta, who married a prince, kept the HRH title. She doesn't have her husbands last name, she's just HRH princess Birgitta, just like Madeleine will be. Of course, I don't know for sure, but I think that might be the reson behind it all.

Brigitta baca me a HSH upon marriage. So, theoretical her title changed a bit!

Ah yes, you're correct. In swedish we usually don't make a difference between princes/princesses with the HRH or HSH (or none of them). Hence my mistake. But I still don't think that Birgitta took her husbands last name.

Maybe some royal houses think that if they sent representants to Madeleine's wedding, they have to also send someone to Carl Philip's wedding, and are cautious with it.
And why would they be cautious about attending Carl Philip's wedding?

So their children will be simply name(s) + O'Neill, no titles?

Princess Birgitta is still a HRH, not a HSH, as far as I know a royal princess who is born HRH will not loose her status as a HRH even when she marries a prince who is HSH or HH, the style of a princess can only be elvated by marriage, never demoted.
Yes! That is correct.
I haven't seen a official communication from the Swedish royal court about eventual titles for the children of Madeleine, and as it's the king who has the final say in what title, if any, the memebers of the royal family will have, I think we have to wait until the birth of a child to know that for certain. If the child(ren) are born in Sweden they will be Swedish citizens and as such there will be no legal obstacles for the king to give them a title if he wants to.

Last edited:
^^^^
You are correct. We see that today with HRH Sophie and HSH Alois of Liechtenstein.

Princess Birgitta stayed a HRH. Traditionally a princess could only be upgraded with a style upon marriage but not downgraded, unless they lose their style entirely or it is done in accordance with the person in question like Princess Märtha-Louise of Norway.

For example, Hereditary Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein stayed a HRH even though her husband's families are HSHs and lots of Austrian Archduchesses stayed HIRHs even though their husband's families were HRHs or less.

That's something that the King decides. My guess is that the children won't be princes/princesses. Chris doesn't seem interested at all in royal titles, and Madeleine has always been the one pf the three royal siblings that felt most uncomfortable with all the attention she's gotten over the years.

I think it's more likely that the children will become duke/duchesses or something similar.

I think it rather depends on where the children are raised. As I understand it if the children are primarily raised outside of Sweden their succession rights, even though distant, would be questionable so why give them any titles at all. Can the king even give a title to a non HRH Prince/Princess? All the Count Bernadotte titles came from Luxembourg so I doubt CG could give titles to his non HRH grandchildren.

Last edited:
I think it rather depends on where the children are raised. As I understand it if the children are primarily raised outside of Sweden their succession rights, even though distant, would be questionable so why give them any titles at all. Can the king even give a title to a non HRH Prince/Princess? All the Count Bernadotte titles came from Luxembourg so I doubt CG could give titles to his non HRH grandchildren.

The King granted Daniel titles, including his HRH Prince.

I don't know if CG can grant titles at will, but it seems that there's a trend to let the grandchildren of a monarch who aren't in the direct line of succession go without titles. If Chris was offered and refused any titles then it reasons to believe that he and Madeleine don't want any titles for their children. They don't expect to ever inherit, or to have their children inherit, and are making a life for themselves outside of the court.

Don't worry. Title or no title, those kids will be like all their Manhattanite peers; by three they'll know all the doormen in their building and be able to order their own takeout. If they're really precocious, they'll be able to read the menus pinned to the side of the fridge.

The King granted Daniel titles, including his HRH Prince.

Yes, but Daniel married the future Queen of Sweden. Chris isn't doing that so he doesn't have need of a title.

Is the wedding here (almost!) already? I remember last year when they announce their engagement in OCt/Nov, I thought June was so far away...wha? Must be some stress and nerves over in Sweden at the moment...

But anyway, I wanted to make a comment about names and title and place of residence...As a hypothetical situation, the kids grow up in New York, no titles, etc BUT they will be given names with a Swedish royal flavour, for example Astrid O'Neill or Oscar O'Neill...and yes, their titles won't be 'in use' in normal everyday life, but they will be there, because these kids will be in line to the Swedish throne, have 'royal' blood and will in effect be 'reserves' should anything happen to other members of the SRF ...

Madeleine's and Chris' children can also have Bernadotte as their last name, at least according to the swedish laws.

According to Expressen, the cortege route is 2 kilometers long, at Victoria's and Daniel's wedding it was 6,8 kilometers.

The Swedish Republican Association about Madeleine's wedding
Om Madeleine Bernadottes bröllop - Republikanska föreningen
Translation

According to Expressen's sources, Madeleine snobs the Swedish fashion houses and has chosen a wedding dress from Valentino.
This spring Madeleine turned to her best girlfriends - Louise Gottlieb, Emma Pernald, Katarina von Horn, Ellen Dinkelspiel and Charlotte Cederlund for help with the choice. Her friends have, reportedly to Expressen, been in both Milan and Paris for work on dress and representatives from Valentino have been in Stockholm. According to Expressen's knowledge the future sister in law Sofia Hellqvist is the only one in the circle of Madeleine who had not been involved in the process.
Madeleine's future mother in law, Chris's mother Eva O'Neill wore a dress by Valentino at the banns.
Madeleine har valt klänning till bröllopet Prinsessbröllopet Madde & Chris Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

Wow, that would be great. I personally would also prefer a Valentino gown. I predict something with a touch of lace

Expressen's royal reporter Johan T Lindwall, who is behind the article about that the wedding dress is from Valentino, chatted with Expressen's readers. He said that he thinks that if a Swedish princess gets married, she should also represent Sweden to the extent that she chooses a Swedish designer for the wedding dress. He finds it extremely odd that Madeleine chose to pass the swedish designers. Nowadays when the Royal House is often criticized, he thinks it would have been smarter by Madeleine to choose a swedish designer.

Aftonbladet writes that Madeleine wanted to have a totally private wedding. But according to Aftonbladet's source the king demanded the TV-coverage.
Six months before Victoria's wedding the agreement of the TV-coverage was made. Only two months before the wedding came the decision about that Madeleine's wedding will be shown on TV. Madeleine didn't want TV-cameras to her wedding. They were discussing about that already before the engagement was published.
Håkan Pettersson, who was the wedding coordinator for Victoria and Daniel, arranges also this wedding. The king and the queen make all the comprehensive decisions, and Håkan Pettersson puts them into practise, says Bertil Ternert.
Madeleine is afraid of criticism. She doesn't want anything in the wedding to cause wrong reactions or provocation. Sources close to the royal family tell that Madeleine has been hesitant. She tried a dress at a boutique in New York, she was going to use the dress in some wedding event. She called to her mother and described the dress before she was able to decide and didn't buy the dress, because the queen thought that the dress was too revealing.
When Madeleine and Chris should choose music which Peter Jöback will sing at the wedding, it was also difficult for Madeleine.
- It should be appropriate for the occasion and at the same time personal for the princess and Chris, says the source.
Madeleine asked help from her mother with the song.
- It is important for Madeleine to have the acceptance of the king and queen in everything, says Roger Lundgren, the chief editor of the "Kungliga magasinet".
Kungaparet styr Maddes bröllop Bröllopet Aftonbladet

Svensk Damtidning's article about the preparations at Drottningholm, they are almost ready. The party tent has been built.
Chris and Madeleine were seen driving from the Royal Palace, and the king and the queen at one car, Carl Philip at his car and Sofia at her car.
Bröllopsförberedelserna pågår för fullt… Svensk Damtidning
Translation

The wedding is at 16.00
The cortege leaves from the Royal Palace at 18.00.
Three ships take the bride and groom and the guests from Riddarholmen to Drottningholm Palace at approximately 18.30.
The arrival to Drottningholm about 19.30.
http://www.sgb.se/SGBFiles/2013/06/c11b40b5-6605-4880-9059-f184d68e7dd6_tb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Madeleine's and Chris' children can also have Bernadotte as their last name, at least according to the swedish laws.

According to Expressen, the cortege route is 2 kilometers long, at Victoria's and Daniel's wedding it was 6,8 kilometers.

The Swedish Republican Association about Madeleine's wedding
Om Madeleine Bernadottes bröllop - Republikanska föreningen
Translation

According to Expressen's sources, Madeleine snobs the Swedish fashion houses and has chosen a wedding dress from Valentino.
This spring Madeleine turned to her best girlfriends - Louise Gottlieb, Emma Pernald, Katarina von Horn, Ellen Dinkelspiel and Charlotte Cederlund for help with the choice. Her friends have, reportedly to Expressen, been in both Milan and Paris for work on dress and representatives from Valentino have been in Stockholm. According to Expressen's knowledge the future sister in law Sofia Hellqvist is the only one in the circle of Madeleine who had not been involved in the process.
Madeleine's future mother in law, Chris's mother Eva O'Neill wore a dress by Valentino at the banns.
Madeleine har valt klänning till bröllopet Prinsessbröllopet Madde & Chris Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

Eva Maria O´Neill wore this dress http://www.stylebop.com/de/product_details.php?menu1=designer&menu2=&menu3=148&id=472135

Aftonbladet has published a guest list which apparently they got from the royal court, the official guest will not be published until the morning of the 7th of June by the press department of the royal court and could be a bit different from aftonbladet's one, as guests may cancel or confirm their attendance in the near future. Their guest list includes Princess Charlene of Monaco and Princess Takamado of Japan,and Princess Nikolaos, princess Tatiana, Princess Theodora, Prince Philipos Crown Prince Pavlos, and Crown Princess Marie-Chantal from Greece

unfortunately not representatives from Belgium Spain and the Netherlands www.aftonbladet.se/brollopet/article16900679.ab - Translator

Aftonbladet has published a guest list which apparently they got from the royal court, the official guest will not be published until the morning of the 7th of June by the press department of the royal court and could be a bit different from aftonbladet's one, as guests may cancel or confirm their attendance in the near future. Their guest list includes Princess Charlene of Monaco and Princess Takamado of Japan,and Princess Nikolaos, princess Tatiana, Princess Theodora, Prince Philipos Crown Prince Pavlos, and Crown Princess Marie-Chantal from Greece

unfortunately not representatives from Belgium Spain and the Netherlands www.aftonbladet.se/brollopet/article16900679.ab - Translator

Mr Valentino Garavani and Mr Giancarlo Giametti are on this list... so it looks that Expressen's scoop of the dress was right.

Mr Valentino Garavani and Mr Giancarlo Giametti are on this list... so it looks that Expressen's scoop of the dress was right.
They might be right, some are criticising her for not choosing a Swedish designer, but i think that stuff like that should be the bride's decision as is after all her wedding not just a state event, and she did choose a swedish designer for the marriage banns and the official photographs with mr'oneill

What about Princess Lalla Salma?

What about Princess Lalla Salma?
The news papar said that this is not the final guest list and that some names may change, however, i dont know about Lalla Salma. I don't think the court will publish to which foreign courts the invitations were sent

Herr Patrick von Ribbentrop and Frau Valerie von Ribbentrop resp
Mr Sebastian von Ribbentrop and Mrs Isabelle vin Ribbentrop

Patrick von Ribbentrops dad was named Rudolf and Hauptsturmführer i Waffen-SS and Patricks granddad Joachim was the architecht of the Ribbentorp-Molotov pact.

It has to be the first time in a long time anyone with this close connection to the inner circle of the nazi party was invited to something like this?

King Charles XVI Gustavs father was married in Germany and iirc there were som top ranking nazis present.

Among the people in Sweden the general feeling is: "Meh" towards Madeleins wedding compared to Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom