Potential Names and Godparents for Madeleine and Chris's First Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice was the 127th most common name for newborn American girls in 2012, making it rather popular actually. It's been on its way up for some years now. ;)
Well, that's very interesting. I'm not sure where you got your information but I checked the information taken from the Social Security website, it's kind of fun View & Compare Popular Baby Names Trends of the 20th Century - FamilyEducation
You can type in a name and see it's popularity on a graph. Alice was huge in the 1920's..

Well, that's very interesting. I'm not sure where you got your information but I checked the information taken from the Social Security website, it's kind of fun View & Compare Popular Baby Names Trends of the 20th Century - FamilyEducation
You can type in a name and see it's popularity on a graph. Alice was huge in the 1920's..

Behindthename.com lists Alice as being the 127th most popular name in the US, the 34th most popular name in the UK, and the most popular name in Sweden. The site also has a graph which shows that the name's popularity is on the rise (no doubt in part due to its use in the Twilight books).

I like Alice because it is to honor the Queen. I loved the Fact that Victoria chose a name that was not what people expected as well. I hope they choose a name that is one that if nothing else has meaning to Madeleine and Chris.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using The Royals Community mobile app

What is strange is how many posts seem to totally ignore Chris's family - they are totally SRF orientated. And this is for a child that will never inherit the Swedish throne.

I had the same thought has you on Christina. Nice tribute to Daddy as well as being pretty.

I have seen a few Josephine's in the suggestions and that happens to be Chris's grandmothers name on his father's side.

Last edited:
I must say you are correct. They live in the states to be average people and to not let her being the daughter of a King overshadow them. Name the baby what they wish and be happy as they wish to be Happy. Honor who they wish.

The Duke

Maria is the most common name in Sweden, it's boring rather than upsetting. ;)

Quite a lot of people seem to be suggesting some very very royal sounding names, that sound unlikely to me - she's not from the 18th century! My bet for the first name would be something that's classy enough for a princess but also fashionable enough both in the US and in Sweden. Alice, Bianca, Clara, Eloise, Elsa, Lilian, Matilda, Norah ... And then some family middle names, such as Maria.

These names could always be resurrected - if you look at other Royal Families, most of the royal children have royal names (e.g. Prince Christian of Denmark, Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Lady Louise Windsor and Infanta Leonor of Spain, just to name a few). I personally hope that Madeleine and Chris won't give their daughter a modern name such as Maddison, because "Princess Maddison" sounds a bit odd. Then again, I thought the same thing when I heard Estelle's name, and "Princess Estelle" sounds normal to me now. Perhaps Madeleine and Chris will pull a Victoria and Daniel and surprise us with a modern, American name.

Estelle is not exactly modern, and the name was not out of thin air. It is a family name, for Folke's wife. It was just surprising as for the future heir to the throne, a more mainstream royal name was expected. Estelle was more likely a name for CP or Maddie's kids. The spares often chose more uncommon names for their children, think Joachim's children for instance.

The former Marshal of the court, Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, who was Victoria's mentor and who still visits Haga Palace sometimes, said twice yesterday on TV4, that Victoria and Daniel chose Estelle as the same because they liked it very much and thought it was a beautiful name, the main factor on choosing wasn't that it was the name of Folke Bernadotte's wife.

I would like Madeleine and Chris choose a modern name for their daughter. I just hope that they don't choose Alice as the first name. And that at least one of the names would come from the O'Neill family.

Last edited:
While it may not have been the main factor, Folke's wife was a factor. Of course they would choose a name they thought was beautiful and liked a lot. There are hundreds of names in the family tree. How would they choose which one? They could have picked a family name that would be most fitting for a queen like Christina, or they could pick a family name that was beautiful and they both approved of. The reality is Estelle is not some random modern name, it is a family name, just one unexpected.

My only real question is . . . when will they announce it? Tic Toc, time is passing and I am aging as I type. As to what the actual name is? I would not dare to venture a guess. Remember the announcement of Princess Estelle? Who knew? (Certainly not the "inside" sources, the pundits, the tabloids, etc. BTW do they bet on names in Sweden?). Better yet, the announcement was followed by gasps of shock, horror, surprise, confusion and surprisingly little delight.

Look at little Princess Estelle now, can anyone imagine another name would suit her half so well? She has claimed it and made it her own. My guess is the Chris and Madeline's little girl will do the same. But could they hurry with her name please, it's odd referring to "her", "she", "it"!

Last edited:
Is it common in Sweden to use Carla as the feminine of Carl? I could see something like Carla Eva Louise or Carla Eva Victoria.

I hope they don't use trendy names or something made up, like Brooklyn or Tiffany. I mean, if they do that, they might as well make it Swedish and name her Ikea or Volvo or Abba.

And on godparents: What about Daniel?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that they've probably chosen names that will work well in English and Swedish and that aren't too common/popular. I was thinking Beatrice (but then there's Princess Beatrice of York), but maybe Katarina or Kristina.

I think they might also add a name that is Swedish but easy to pronounce for English speakers, namely Astrid or Ingrid.

ETA: I saw that some people had suggested Renate and that would be a pretty name and a nice way to honor Silvia.

Last edited:
Astrid is one of my favorite names and I'd love to see a little Princess Astrid. Or an Annika, but that's unlikely.

Is it common in Sweden to use Carla as the feminine of Carl? I could see something like Carla Eva Louise or Carla Eva Victoria.

I hope they don't use trendy names or something made up, like Brooklyn or Tiffany. I mean, if they do that, they might as well make it Swedish and name her Ikea or Volvo or Abba.

Love because names have become so popular, they are considered to be 'modern' or 'made up'. Tiffany is an old name for children born on the epiphany. Not that I am advocating for it.

If they were going for a female of Carla, I'd think Caroline (both are forms of Charles). Definitely sounds more royal, Princes Caroline over Princess Carla.

I can't begin to imagine what this baby will be named. It's one thing to predict the name of Prince George because they were very limited in names choices. But the possibilities for this baby run the gambit. I remember being stunned when I head Estelle and Athena, and I never would have guessed Mia Grace Tindall.

My only real question is . . . when will they announce it? Tic Toc, time is passing and I aging as I type.

Calm dear, it could be worse... She could be Danish and we would have to wait until the christening to know her name.:lol:

I think we'll know the name by next friday.:)

:previous: Well that's a drag since everyone else is way behind NZ and I'm guessing it's still Saturday or maybe very early Sunday . . . I can just see me getting up on Friday morning and thinking "could you hurry please". As you can guess I was not one to wait patiently for Christmas or birthdays. :sad:

Last edited:
My only real question is . . . when will they announce it? Tic Toc, time is passing and I am aging as I type. As to what the actual name is? I would not dare to venture a guess. Remember the announcement of Princess Estelle? Who knew? (Certainly not the "inside" sources, the pundits, the tabloids, etc. BTW do they bet on names in Sweden?). Better yet, the announcement was followed by gasps of shock, horror, surprise, confusion and surprisingly little delight.

Look at little Princess Estelle now, can anyone imagine another name would suit her half so well? She has claimed it and made it her own. My guess is the Chris and Madeline's little girl will do the same. But could they hurry with her name please, it's odd referring to "her", "she", "it"!

Since it is weekend now, it may be that the court announces only on Monday when the cabinet meeting will be held. And it will be held only when the king is back in Sweden. So we will have to wait for the name.
I agree, I just can't think any other name for Estelle than Estelle. It is just impossible to think that her name would be something else.

Liljana to honor Princess Lilian and to go with the Eastern European names of Chris' sisters and nieces?

Chris has five sisters, and only his maternal sisters have Eastern European names, and Natasha is becoming common else where. Tatjana is the daughter from her mother's first marriage. Eva was still living in Austria and her husband Walter was German, so such a name was likely. Annoushka is the only one of her three kids with an Eastern European name, the others are Celina and Jasper. Natasha has a daughter Milana but her husband is Austrian so the name is not out there.

Chris has spent most of his life in the US and London, and is married to a Swede. I'd think if the name was not English it would be Swedish. I suspect Eva will be part of the baby's name, is a nod to his family.

Chris has five sisters, and only his maternal sisters have Eastern European names, and Natasha is becoming common else where. Tatjana is the daughter from her mother's first marriage. Eva was still living in Austria and her husband Walter was German, so such a name was likely. Annoushka is the only one of her three kids with an Eastern European name, the others are Celina and Jasper. Natasha has a daughter Milana but her husband is Austrian so the name is not out there.

Chris has spent most of his life in the US and London, and is married to a Swede. I'd think if the name was not English it would be Swedish. I suspect Eva will be part of the baby's name, is a nod to his family.

My reasoning is:
Chris seems to be closer to his maternal sisters.
Eva was born in Czechoslovakia. As Sudeten Germans, her family had to leave, and yet...
They seem to have a theme going with the names of the women in their family. Celina is also used in Eastern Europe. Of course it could all be a coincidence or just me reading too much into it.
Anyway, if they were to incorporate an Eastern European name, it wouldn't be the main name.

Estelle is not exactly modern, and the name was not out of thin air. It is a family name, for Folke's wife. It was just surprising as for the future heir to the throne, a more mainstream royal name was expected. Estelle was more likely a name for CP or Maddie's kids. The spares often chose more uncommon names for their children, think Joachim's children for instance.

Yes, my post may have sounded like I said that Estelle was a modern name, but that isn't what I intended to say - what I meant was that they could surprise us with an unusual name like Victoria and Daniel did with Estelle. And I knew that Victoria and Daniel didn't just pick the name Estelle at random and that she was named after Countess Estelle. Also, I think Estelle is considered modern where I am. (Don't forget that an old fashioned name in one country may be considered modern in another country.)

I guess I didn't phrase that sentence in the way that I intended to.

My last minute bets on the first name are:

Annabelle
Natalie
Josephine
Alexandra

And then a few of this names as middle names:

Maria
Eva
Silvia
Lilian
Lovisa

Last edited:
My last bet:
Alice,
Paula,
Lilian
April.
Marylin,
Desirèe

My last minute bets on the first name are:

Annabelle
Natalie
Josephine
Alexandra

And then a few of this names as middle names:

Maria
Eva
Silvia
Lilian
Lovisa

For some reason Natalia/Natalie popped into my head last night when I said I could not possibly come up with this name. Let's see if we both hit it! :D

Last bet: Alice Maria Silvia Eva Lilian - Chris has said that the little girl has 5 names and that he can pronounce all of them, so that's my last suggestion.

For some reason Natalia/Natalie popped into my head last night when I said I could not possibly come up with this name. Let's see if we both hit it! :D

What do you think of Natalie Lillian Maria or Natalie Maria Lovisa? I think both names have a nice ring to it.

What do you think of Natalie Lillian Maria or Natalie Maria Lovisa? I think both names have a nice ring to it.

They both sound nice. I would be surprised if Lilian were not in the names, and then after both grandmothers.

Alice would be my fav.
I don´t think she will use Lilian, that would be reserved for CP and his kids imo.
No idea about godparents, maybe Victoria and one of her best friends?

Love because names have become so popular, they are considered to be 'modern' or 'made up'. Tiffany is an old name for children born on the epiphany. Not that I am advocating for it.

If they were going for a female of Carla, I'd think Caroline (both are forms of Charles). Definitely sounds more royal, Princes Caroline over Princess Carla.

Very interesting about the name Tiffany -- I'd always assumed it was a fad related to naming girls after the famous jewelry store, much as people name their daughters "Chanel."

Thanks for noting it!

I realize that both Caroline and Charlotte are the feminine of Charles (or Carl), but I was curious which is the traditional Swedish use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom