Madeleine & Chris's Wedding: Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think that today's announcement in the UK will effect the date of Madeline's wedding?
As Catherine is not yet 12 weeks pregnant, I would guess it's only 6-8 weeks as that's usually when morning sickness hits, so the British baby won't probably be born until the end of July or in August, and I think that Madeleine and Chris will have a May or June wedding, so there shouldn't be any reason for it to affect a wedding date.

I personally don't think that the Cambridge-baby's birth will anyhow "disturb" the wedding of Madeleine and Chris.

I wonder if Madeleine and Chris will walk down the aisle together or, with her father. As some of you know, there was some debate when Victoria wanted to walk down the aisle with her father.

I wonder if Madeleine and Chris will walk down the aisle together or, with her father. As some of you know, there was some debate when Victoria wanted to walk down the aisle with her father.

I think they will do it like Victoria and Daniel. During the time Madeleine will walk down the aisle half way will Chris waiting together with Carl Philip.

My suggestions for wedding gifts will be a special wedding fond which will donate to the World Childhood Foundation or to Min Stora Dag.

Expressen "reveals" that yesterday a "family council" has agreed about the wedding. Bertil Ternert says that they will inform when they are ready. Expressen writes that soon after the engagement Madeleine got to know that the wedding couldn't be in August, because the king has much trips due to his 40 years at the throne. The king wants that the wedding will be at the Royal Chapel, the Stockholm Cathedral, where Victoria and Daniel got married, has never been an alternative. The three available dates are 1, 8 and 15th June.
To the question if the church and date are agreed, Ternert answered:
- That is something I don't know.
Efter familjerådet Här blir Madeleines bröllop Nyheter Expressen
Translation

On the other hand, today's Aftonbladet writes that Chris will come to Sweden for Christmas and they will decide then about the wedding when all are gathered.

On the other hand, today's Aftonbladet writes that Chris will come to Sweden for Christmas and they will decide then about the wedding when all are gathered.
Well, there are three possible dates mentioned in Expressen, perhaps when Chris gets to Stockholm the family will make the final decision.

Expressen "reveals" that yesterday a "family council" has agreed about the wedding. Bertil Ternert says that they will inform when they are ready. Expressen writes that soon after the engagement Madeleine got to know that the wedding couldn't be in August, because the king has much trips due to his 40 years at the throne. The king wants that the wedding will be at the Royal Chapel, the Stockholm Cathedral, where Victoria and Daniel got married, has never been an alternative. The three available dates are 1, 8 and 15th June.
To the question if the church and date are agreed, Ternert answered:
- That is something I don't know.
Efter familjerådet Här blir Madeleines bröllop Nyheter Expressen
Translation

The chapel and the cathedral are 2 different places. Victoria and Daniel were married at the cathedral. Estelle was christened at the royal chapel at Stockholm Palace.

The chapel and the cathedral are 2 different places. Victoria and Daniel were married at the cathedral. Estelle was christened at the royal chapel at Stockholm Palace.

i read it as wedding will be at the royal chapel... not the stockholm cathedral (where Victoria was married), that was not alternative.....?

I know that they are two different churches. I wrote that in a hurry and should have made two different sentences, but I never thought that someone would read that so that they are one church.
I should have written:
The king wants that the wedding will be at the Royal Chapel. The Stockholm Cathedral, where Victoria and Daniel got married, has never been an alternative

i read it as wedding will be at the royal chapel... not the stockholm cathedral (where Victoria was married), that was not alternative.....?

oops, my bad.

The Royal Chapel would be a dream. The atmosphere there was so wonderful at Princess Estelle's christening. So familiar.

I have pictures in my eyes now showing a wonderful bride walking down the aisle at the side of her father halfway, halfway by her bridegroom, smiling, her bridegroom is looking so naturally happy and you can feel the special feeling between Madeleine and Chris.

I have pictures in my eyes now showing a wonderful bride walking down the aisle at the side of her father halfway, halfway by her bridegroom, smiling, her bridegroom is looking so naturally happy and you can feel the special feeling between Madeleine and Chris.

I have a feeling Chris is going to be too nervous to be smiling much. We've all seen that already, that he doesn't smile much. And I've heard so many gripe and complain about that. But what about the king? Looking at the Nobel events pictures I only saw one SMALL sign of a smile while the rest of the family smiled alot.

So Madeleine and Chris won´t walk down the aisle together? Or do Scandinavian Royals do how they like it? Maybe he will be less nervous if he has her at his side.

I remember it was quite controversial when CG wanted to walk Victoria down the aisle. The Church of Sweden did not like the idea so they compromised and he only walked her half way down before handing her off to Daniel.

I remember the huge fuss it created when Victoria wanted her father to walk her down the aisle. Scandinavian countries are way ahead of the rest of the world in gender equality and apparently the accepted way now is for the bride and groom to approach the altar together to signify they are equal partners going to the marriage. The old, and widely used custom in a lot of the world, is for the father to take the bride to the altar. But this smacks of "chauvinism" or of the father "giving" the bride to the groom. I remember one of the clergy in Victoria's wedding saying they would refuse to participate in the wedding if CG took Victoria all the way to the altar.

Personally I'd like to see it done again like Victoria did it.

By the way, did I explain it right for you Scandinavians?

I remember the huge fuss it created when Victoria wanted her father to walk her down the aisle. Scandinavian countries are way ahead of the rest of the world in gender equality and apparently the accepted way now is for the bride and groom to approach the altar together to signify they are equal partners going to the marriage. The old, and widely used custom in a lot of the world, is for the father to take the bride to the altar. But this smacks of "chauvinism" or of the father "giving" the bride to the groom. I remember one of the clergy in Victoria's wedding saying they would refuse to participate in the wedding if CG took Victoria all the way to the altar.

Not sure if that extends to all of Scandinavia. At Frederiks wedding and both of Joachims the fathers of the brdie walked their daughters down the aisle. I believe Harold walked Martha Louise down the aisle as well.

Not sure if that extends to all of Scandinavia. At Frederiks wedding and both of Joachims the fathers of the brdie walked their daughters down the aisle. I believe Harold walked Martha Louise down the aisle as well.

Yes he did. However, Mette Marit and Haakon walked down the aisle together. The King and Queen of Sweden also walked down the aisle together.

The Swedish tradition have for a long time been that bride and groom walks to the altar together, as far as I know there have never been common in Sweden that the father of the bride leads his daughter to the altar, that is an Anglo-Saxon and possibly Continental tradition. The idea of the bride being lead to the altar by her father is something that has begun here in the last 10-15 years or so, probably inspired by American movies and by royal weddings. There are those here in Sweden who think that those brides who wants their fathers to lead them to the altar are "bridezillas" for whom it's more important to be the star/princess of the day and not think of the significance of walking to the altar together with the man who is to become their partner for life.
When it comes to the Danish weddings the brides have all come from countries with the Anglo-Saxon/Continental tradition that the father of the bride leads his daughter to the altar. As for the Norwegian royals, there seems to have been a British tradition in the family when it comes to weddings, as at least princess Ragnhild was lead to the altar by her father and the then Sonja Haraldsen was lead to the altar by her father-in-law to be, as well as Märtha Louise by her father, while Mette-Marit and Haakon chose the Scandinavian tradition, perhaps because that was what Mette-Marit as a Norwegian wanted. The bride chooses the tradition she is used to depending where she comes from or a family tradition.

Last edited:
The Swedish tradition have for a long time been that bride and groom walks to the altar together, as far as I know there have never been common in Sweden that the father of the bride leads his daughter to the altar, that is an Anglo-Saxon and possibly Continental tradition. The idea of the bride being lead to the altar by her father is something that has begun here in the last 10-15 years or so, probably inspired by American movies and by royal weddings. There are those here in Sweden who think that those brides who wants their fathers to lead them to the altar are "bridezillas" for whom it's more important to be the star/princess of the day and not think of the significance of walking to the altar together with the man who is to become their partner for life.

When it comes to the Danish weddings the brides have all come from countries with the Anglo-Saxon/Continental tradition that the father of the bride leads his daughter to the altar. As for the Norwegian royals, there seems to have been a British tradition in the family when it comes to weddings, as at least princess Ragnhild was lead to the altar by her father and the then Sonja Haraldsen was lead to the altar by her father-in-law to be, as well as Märtha Louise by her father, while Mette-Marit and Haakon chose the Scandinavian tradition, perhaps because that was what Mette-Marit as a Norwegian wanted. The bride chooses the tradition she is used to depending where she comes from or a family tradition.

But in Denmark this was also done when Queen Margrethe and her sisters married that they where accompanied to the Altar by King Frederik IX.
And in Norway it was new that Haakon and Mette-Marit walked together. In 1968 when King Harald and Queen Sonja married she was even accompanied by her future father-in-law King Olaf V. as her father had already passed away and not by her future husband.

But in Denmark this was also done when Queen Margrethe and her sisters married that they where accompanied to the Altar by King Frederik IX.
And in Norway it was new that Haakon and Mette-Marit walked together. In 1968 when King Harald and Queen Sonja married she was even accompanied by her future father-in-law King Olaf V. as her father had already passed away and not by her future husband.
As I mentioned, maybe it's a family tradition in the Danish and Norwegian royal families that the father walks the bride to the altar, but it's not a tradition in general in those countries or in Sweden that the father of the bride walks his daughter to the altar. As for king Olav walking Sonja Haraldsen to the altar could also be seen as showing the world that he (finally) accepted her as his daughter-in-law.

Last edited:
Well Madeleine doing a repeat of Victoria and having her father walk her half way would be a tribute the Chris's culture I guess. I think in Victoria's case there was a lot of symbolism in that format because it seemed that the King really did release his daughter to walk with her husband to be almost like acknowledging her as not only an adult and as his heir. There really seems to be a totally different dynamic in the family since the wedding. Victoria really does seem to be her own woman, a totally independent personality who is sharing a wonderful marriage with the man she loves.

Madeleine may not feel the necessity to have a "public" separation of Father and Child but then, she could just as easily go the other way and have her father give her away at the altar as a real live fairytale bride, or, just to be different, she could actually go Swedish tradition all the way to the altar with Chris at her side. It will be interesting to see . . .

Last edited:
Wedding in Royal Chapel, in June.
Going to the altar - like her sister and brother in law did.
Bridal children:
Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway
Princess Isabella of Denmark
Baroness Estelle of Finspang
Sebastien von Dincklage
some Chris' nephews/nieces
some Sommerlath relatives
Godchildren (?)

"Sure" Guests:
Earl & Countess of Wessex
Crown Prince & Princess of Norway
Crown Prince & Princess of Denmark
Prince Joachim & Princess Marie of Denmark
King Konstantin & Queen Anne-Marie of Greece
Princess Benedikte & Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein Berleburg with their children
Princess Martha Louise & Ari Behn of Norway
Prince Andreas of Sachsen Coburg Gotha with his family

Wedding in Royal Chapel, in June.
Going to the altar - like her sister and brother in law did.
Bridal children:
Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway
Princess Isabella of Denmark
Baroness Estelle of Finspang
Sebastien von Dincklage
some Chris' nephews/nieces
some Sommerlath relatives
Godchildren (?)

"Sure" Guests:
Earl & Countess of Wessex
Crown Prince & Princess of Norway
Crown Prince & Princess of Denmark
Prince Joachim & Princess Marie of Denmark
King Konstantin & Queen Anne-Marie of Greece
Princess Benedikte & Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein Berleburg with their children
Princess Martha Louise & Ari Behn of Norway
Prince Andreas of Sachsen Coburg Gotha with his family

I'd love to see Prince Sverre Magnus and Princess Isabella in the bridal party. It would be cute to see photos of them together!

Do you think there will be a concert or a dinner at the evening before the wedding will take place?

She picked an interesting date to get married. Two days after National Day and two days before her birthday! I'm glad she chose the Royal Chapel. It's so beautiful!

Last edited:
No, it´s a tradition in Denmark for the bride to walk down the aisle with either her father or in case if he´s dead, by her mother or another dear/near familymember/familyfriend.
When it comes to the Danish weddings the brides have all come from countries with the Anglo-Saxon/Continental tradition that the father of the bride leads his daughter to the altar.
Again: It´s a danish tradition that the FOB walks the bride to the altar.
Yes, out of tradition :flowers:
As I mentioned, maybe it's a family tradition in the Danish and Norwegian royal families that the father walks the bride to the altar, but it's not a tradition in general in those countries or in Sweden that the father of the bride walks his daughter to the altar.
It certainly is a tradition in Denmark that the father walks the bride to the altar. That´s why King Frederik IX did it with his three daughters and that´s why CPss Mary walked to the altar by the arm of her father.

It certainly is a tradition in Denmark that the father walks the bride to the altar. That´s why King Frederik IX did it with his three daughters and that´s why CPss Mary walked to the altar by the arm of her father.
Sorry, I didn't know that the Danish wedding customs differ that much from the Swedish ones, as it's not a Swedish tradition that the bride of the father walks his daughter to the altar. It seems as if the Danish wedding traditions are closer to the Anglo-Saxon and Continental traditions than the Swedish, Finnish and, as I presume, the Norwegian ones.

Where do you think will the "wedding kiss" take place?

On the balcony of Royal Palace, like Victoria and Daniel's one.

I think her wedding gown will modern and simple. I expect it will be nothing like Victoria's gown. I also don't think I will like her gown but I hope she will suprise me. I think she will wear the Cameo tiara with the family veil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom