Madeleine and Chris: Media and Public Opinion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even their simular Rolex watches starting from 12.000 USD have been noticed. ...

Even their simular Rolex watches starting from 12.000 USD have been noticed. ...

And I think that this is exactly the problem for Chris. For someone who is a very private person, to have every single thing he does be noticed and commented on - usually negatively - this must be hell.

For myself, I absolutely dread entering a room full of people I do not know. If I were to enter a room full of people I do not know, and KNOW that they are all staring at me and/or my companion I would be paralytic. I sympathize with Chris.

Being a Princess and King's daughter 's husband, He knew he lost his freedom for ever.

Being a Princess and King's daughter 's husband, He knew he lost his freedom for ever.

Yeah, you'd assume he did, but to me it seems as if he didn't really know because he mainly experienced his wife in the US (up until now) and i'm sure her life there is very different than it is in Sweden.
A few short visits and holidays with the family have probably not really showed him what it is really like to be a member of a reigning royal family
(all imo ofcourse)

I don't think he did. I think he underestimated how much people would be interested in him or the media would generate this interest. And I don't think both expected all the scrutiny & critizism. I think he honestly wanted to stay Chris O'Neill, the working banker, nobody bothering because he declined a title, only showing up at must-attend events. Of course Madde would remain a princess but apart from her work for the royal house Chris thought they could have their privacy outside Sweden. But Madde is a princess and I don't think she was finally happy in NY, far away from family & recognition, critizised all the time, she can't change who she is so it's Chris who's paying the price.

I don't think he did. I think he underestimated how much people would be interested in him or the media would generate this interest. And I don't think both expected all the scrutiny & critizism. I think he honestly wanted to stay Chris O'Neill, the working banker, nobody bothering because he declined a title, only showing up at must-attend events. Of course Madde would remain a princess but apart from her work for the royal house Chris thought they could have their privacy outside Sweden. But Madde is a princess and I don't think she was finally happy in NY, far away from family & recognition, critizised all the time, she can't change who she is so it's Chris who's paying the price.
I think them planning to move to Europe (they haven't said Sweden, just Europe leading me to think they wont live in Sweden permanently) might be a very good compromise. She would be able to fast travel to and from Sweden and do her engagements in bunches. Like have 2 weeks "filled" with engagements and then go back or just fly there for a weekend. That way she fulfills her role as a princess but he get's the privacy of not living in our country.

Exactly. He got the beautiful princess but thier is a price to pay..

I don't think anyone fathoms what life in the spotlight it until they start living it.

I don't think anyone fathoms what life in the spotlight it until they start living it.

Quite right - and a lot of those who searched the spotlight, find it unbearable after some time; how much more difficult it must be for s.o. who didn't searched the limelight.

I think them planning to move to Europe (they haven't said Sweden, just Europe leading me to think they wont live in Sweden permanently) might be a very good compromise. She would be able to fast travel to and from Sweden and do her engagements in bunches. Like have 2 weeks "filled" with engagements and then go back or just fly there for a weekend. That way she fulfills her role as a princess but he get's the privacy of not living in our country.

Yes, a move to Europe but not Sweden sounds like an excellent compromise to me. Close enough to be able to get to Sweden and back quickly and easily, but far enough away so that Chris can live his own life and have his own identity and not be defined by his relationship to a Royal princess.

Expressen has interviewed watch expert Jesper Marchesini from Nymans Ur 1851, about Madeleine's and Chris's watches.
- Madeleine and Chris have chosen two different models of Daytona. Madeleine's, I would think is from 1997 or 1998. Today she would get between 65000 and 70 000 SEK if she sold the watch. A new one costs over 100 000 SEK (12000 USD, 10600 euros). It is a rarity given that it is an older model.
Jesper Marchesini is impressed by Chris O'Neill's choice of watch:
- Oh, yes. It is a vintage model. I would think from the late 60s or early 70s. There are ten different references on the model. The cost of SEK 100 000 and up.
How much the Daytona Chris has costs?
- If it is 100 percent original and he has the original box and certificate as it stands at over 500 000 SEK (60000 USD, 53000 euros). I would guess that he might have bought it in New York, where there are several vintage dealers who specialize in Rolex.
How common is it in Sweden that couples choose the same model of a luxury watch?
- Extremely unusual. However, it is very common in Asia.
So Madeleine and Chris might start a trend?
- Yes, why not? Their watches are complementary to each other fantastically, says Marchesini.
Madeleine och Chris – kopierar varandra Mode Expressen
Translation

I think that the media checks Chris's watches every time from now on, they will probably have more articles about luxury watches.

Last edited by a moderator:
P4 boss's criticism - in a protest letter to the court
Princess Madeleine visited on Monday Gävle with her ​​husband Christopher O'Neill. During the visit, she refused to give the media time for interviews and questions - which got the director of the Swedish Radio P4 Gävleborg angry.
In a letter to the court, he questions the princess's behavior.
Princess's visit in Gävle on Monday began with a lunch at Gävle Castle. Princess Madeleine and her husband also visited activity center Helges and one company.
But she didn't give some interviews - this time either.
The manager and the editor P4 Gävleborg, Leif Eriksson, says that Princess Madeleine - who is also the Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland - has been never heard in the channel.
In a letter to the court Eriksson says that Princess Madeleine "systematically refuses to give the media time for interviews and questions. Journalists and photographers are herded together in pens and can possibly shout a question when the princess passes them, smiling. Of course I don't know how the princess is brought up but I am convinced that she now as 33 years old, and being a public figure all her life realizes her role in the monarchy and that having a duchy means something in the real world. To constantly avoid interviews is not in line with the Swedish democracy and really not based on what the royal family claims to be: a monarchy in time."
He appeals to the court to think again.
"Already on the next visit Princess should rethink and give time to the county's media interviews so that readers, viewers and listeners get their legitimate interests of the princess's role and views illuminated."
Eriksson also reminds that Madeleine is paid by taxpayers.
"It is now time to change this. The show in Gävle now was unworthy for a modern monarchy and a stubborn Garbo demeanor is amateurish.
It is high time that Princess Madeleine realizes her responsibility and mission during an official visit".
The whole letter is at this article.
P4-chefens kritik – i protestbrev till hovet Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
I don't know how Swedish democracy works.....although I don't think it differs much from Maltese democracy or any other democracy but they should be reminded that to be forced to give interviews is also 'not in line with democracy'
Princess Madeleine is in a damned if she does damned if she doesn't situation....when she doesn't work a lot because she lives in a different continent she is criticized, now that she's back in Europe and out and about on official duties she's crisitzed....they question her income and the court declared that she's only paid when carrying out official engagements....she carried out official engagements and therefore has the right to some of the appanage like the King, Queen , Victoria, Daniel, and Carl Philip after all, but it's only her who is constantly reminded of it
The photos from her visit to Gavle show that she did interact with the people at the places she visited and journalist need to be reminded that the media does not represent the nation...there is nothing which forces any public figure to give interviews (although I think they should to improve their image) especially if they were not previously planned....if the media thinks that all of a sudden the Royal family is going to start speaking with every journalist they encounter, just because their forth coming new member does that, they should think again

Last edited:
^^^Cunningly disguised insult to Sofia.

I don't wish to go off topic, nor did I intend to disguise an insult, but it is commonly known that she does talk a lot to the media, whether one is her no 1 fan or no1 hater it is the truth, and it doesn't need to be a negative thing all I said was that if they're expecting the Royal family to be more talkative to the media just because they're newest addition does that, they'd be wrong to assume

I don't wish to go off topic, nor did I intend to disguise an insult, but it is commonly known that she does talk a lot to the media, whether one is her no 1 fan or no1 hater it is the truth, and it doesn't need to be a negative thing all I said was that if they're expecting the Royal family to be more talkative to the media just because they're newest addition does that, they'd be wrong to assume

Imo what the media assume has nothing to do with Sofia; the monarchy in Sweden (and several other european countries) has evolved and is much more "with the people" than "above the people".
A lot of royals understand this and give the media a few harmless linies and everybody's happy.
P.Madeleine, rightly or wrongly, seems to have the name that she only wants the fun and glamorous part of being a royal and not the working and obligated part... Not talking to the media, even if we can understand that she doesn't feel like it, just confirmes this image and the SRF can't use that.

In this day and age european royals aren't worshipped anymore (at least not by people who live in a monarchy ;) ), and the media is all part of the job these days

Last edited:
Well to be fair she did give a comment to svenskdam saying how fun the visit was....could be P4 is upset becaue THEY did not get an interview, again I'm not sure if they contacted the court about an interview in advanced or tried to get one on the spot....plus one must also take into consideration the time schedule if they went there using a prebooked train for example, I'm sure it's not going to wait at the station just because the princess hadnt arrived yet again we don't know every thing we're only hearing p4's version of the story

I think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion.....so she didn't give a big interview in Gavle, she does regular interviews....I think it's not a matter of bringing up some thing because it's 'outrageous' but bringing up some thing because Madeleine is involved......would they really have rathered her giving an interview about the place over her actually visiting it?

Last edited:
Well to be fair she did give a comment to svenskdam saying how fun the visit was....could be P4 is upset becaue THEY did not get an interview, again I'm not sure if they contacted the court about an interview in advanced or tried to get one on the spot....plus one must also take into consideration the time schedule if they went there using a prebooked train for example, I'm sure it's not going to wait at the station just because the princess hadnt arrived yet again we don't know every thing we're only hearing p4's version of the story

I think that the reporter of Svensk Damtidning shouted them a question and they answered. That is not an interview.

Leif Eriksson in Dagens Nyheter
- We don't have a single audio clip with the princess in our archive and it was now at the current visit as it always is usually said - the program is full, says Leif Eriksson.
But why is it so important that the princess is heard in SR Gävleborg?
- When she was born, she got Hälsingland and Gastrikland as duchies from her father and in addition, the court gets tax money to their business, says Eriksson.
He also adds that interest in the royal family is particularly big in the area given that Prince Daniel comes from the county.
Have you had any contact with the court after you wrote the letter?
- No, but I have asked the director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren to answer and I hope she does.
Margareta Thorgren examined during the day how the court should respond to the letter.
- I wish to return with an answer later, she says.
Radiochef attackerar prinsessan Madeleine - DN.SE
Translation

At SVT culture news
"Criticism to Madeleine: "She behaves like Garbo"
Kritiken mot Madeleine ”Hon beter sig som Garbo” - Kultur SVT.se
Translation

The original open letter at the website of Sveriges Radio P4 Gävleborg
Öppet brev till hovet - P4 Gävleborg Sveriges Radio
Translation

This seems to be a big crisis for the court. I have been waiting the court to update photos of today's events (the funeral, Victoria's and Daniel's meeting with Anna Felländer and Daniel's meeting with the representatives of the Swedish Sports Confederation) to their website but obviously the people at the press department are concentrating on this.

Last edited:
I think that the reporter of Svensk Damtidning shouted them a question and they answered. That is not an interview.

No it isn't that's why I referred to it as a comment and not an interview

The media has complained for a long time that the royals should give more interviews in their work events. Daniel gives a lot of interviews, always when he visits schools with Prince Daniel Fellowship and at the sports events. Carl Philip gives interviews in STCC races, he is often interviewed in them. And when he and Sofia arrive to somewhere, they normally talk to the media because Sofia loves the media. The king, queen and Victoria give less interviews due to what kind of work events they do. Victoria and Daniel, and the king and queen, have time to the media at the visits abroad.
Of course it depends on the work event, can a royal give an interview. Normally it is easier just on county visits like Madeleine's on Monday. Usually the royals arrive just before the event starts and they don't have time for an interview. Sometimes they give a short interview when they leave an event.
Margareta Thorgren has promised more openness to the court.
Today Margareta Thorgren has been in Finland to prepare the state visit so she hasn't answered yet.

Last edited:
The court about the letter:
'– The Princess and I have spoken to each other, she has read and seen the letter but we cannot communicate externally our communication, "said Margaret Thorgren, court press officer.
She says they will take the criticism and that there is always room for improvement. But also says that the policy of transparency and accessibility not only means to set up more interviews.
— In this case, it was a tight programme with many points emphasised within a short period of time and therefore there was no media meeting scheduled, "says Margaret Thorgren.
''She has just done a visit and think it's important to visit her province so this is a little surprising reaction, says Margaret Thorgren.''

www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article20268818.ab - Translator

It's almost like the media are pushing Madeleine until she gets to the point where she says "You know what? Stuff you all!", packs up her family and moves from Sweden permanently only to return for family occasions like her aunts do, hell be damned for any succession issues which may crop up in the future.

And to be honest, she wouldn't get any criticism from me if she and Chris choose to do so.

You know what. Swedish journalists does not like Madeleine and she does not like them. This is fact and not new and shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone ! And a huge part of me understand her !

Trust me that Madeleines tenture in Sweden will not be long ;)

What i actually find surprising is if the court hadn't scheduled any specific interview times at all. They always do it when the King and Queen is somewhere, they always do it when Victoria and Daniel is somewhere and they always do it when Carl Philip and Sofia is somewhere.

It's almost like the media are pushing Madeleine until she gets to the point where she says "You know what? Stuff you all!", packs up her family and moves from Sweden permanently only to return for family occasions like her aunts do, hell be damned for any succession issues which may crop up in the future.

And to be honest, she wouldn't get any criticism from me if she and Chris choose to do so.

700 % agree !

Last edited by a moderator:
The court about the letter:
'– The Princess and I have spoken to each other, she has read and seen the letter but we cannot communicate externally our communication, "said Margaret Thorgren, court press officer.
She says they will take the criticism and that there is always room for improvement. But also says that the policy of transparency and accessibility not only means to set up more interviews.
— In this case, it was a tight programme with many points emphasised within a short period of time and therefore there was no media meeting scheduled, "says Margaret Thorgren.
''She has just done a visit and think it's important to visit her province so this is a little surprising reaction, says Margaret Thorgren.''

www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article20268818.ab - Translator

Surprising reaction? Madeleine is the duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland. And if she hasn't given any interviews to the radio ever during her visits to her duchies, the reaction isn't surprising at all.
Reporter Christian Ploog from Sveriges Radio P4 Gävleborg in his Twitter, Margareta Thorgren has answered to them:
Thorgren said that it is probably due to the technique of Radio P4 Gävleborg, Madeleine should have given a special interview to them to make the interview possible. She also said that it is not totally impossible that Madeleine will give an exclusive interview to P4 Gävleborg.
https://twitter.com/christian_ploog/status/563075056516206592/photo/1

Thorgren isn't handling this situation very well. She messed already with the press with the question of nazism Victoria got in Auschwitz and this is another badly handled situation. Like some people wrote at their chronicles, Victoria handled the situation much better than the court's press department.

What i actually find surprising is if the court hadn't scheduled any specific interview times at all. They always do it when the King and Queen is somewhere, they always do it when Victoria and Daniel is somewhere and they always do it when Carl Philip and Sofia is somewhere.

I think that it isn't always a decision from the court. For instance, when Carl Philip and Sofia arrived to the prize ceremony in November, the press was waiting for them. They could have said "we don't have time for interviews" and went inside to the hall. But they stopped and talked with the press. Same goes for Victoria and Daniel.

Last edited:
From Arbetarbladet, a newspaper in Gästrikland

The Princess and the Pea
Leif Eriksson from P4 Gävleborg, is unhappy. Rightly so. Princess Madeleine has visited the county and there wasn't made any interviews. This time either.
Instead of answering questions the princess couple showed themselves to the county. It was enough. So Leif Eriksson wrote a letter to the court. A very, very good one.
The arrogance of power showed this way. Instead of answering questions, nice visits and empty smiles. The Duchess does this to her people, for the simple reason that she knows she can.
No other power institution in Sweden is as unexamined as the royal family. No other power department can avoid journalists' questions in the same way.
The royal family is a tax-funded activity. But despite this, and the fact that the royal family is a power department, perfectly reasonable questions are considered to be insolent. Like when knowledgeable and experienced SVT reporter Rolf Fredriksson made the relevant question to Victoria at the commemoration of the Holocaust on how she saw that her grandfather was a member of the Nazi party, while Folke Bernadotte organized the white buses.
A program "The Year with the Royal Family" would be unthinkable of the government. We would never accept a one-hour tribute about the great leader, Prime Minister, without any critical questions, and be content if the Prime Minister and the government's year was depicted with pictures of how Stefan Löfven jumps around outside Harpsund in the grass along with his ministers, sitting and cuddles with his wife Ulla and talks about how wonderful it is to be in love. It is unacceptable, because we live in a democracy, not a dictatorship.
If Princess Madeleine thinks that it is so insanely burdensome to answer journalists' questions, there is a very simple solution to it all. That is to renounce her privileges. If she doesn't choose to do it, then she should listen to Leif Eriksson and actually accept that privileges come with responsibilities.
It would be best, of course, if we jointly liberated royal house from the publicity they so obviously hate, by making Sweden a republic.
Prinsessan på ärten - arbetarbladet.se
Translation

This is getting to a far more bigger issue than Margareta Thorgren thought.

Margareta Thorgren to Expressen:
- Of course, we learn from the criticism, it is entirely accorcding to our information policy to be open and transparent. In this specific case in Gävle there was not promised any media meeting because it was a full program and tight on time. It is not true that the Princess has not given any interviews, there have been spontaneous interviews and she responded to questions even on Monday.
It was the Princess's visit in Gävle on Monday that broke the camel's back.
- As a publisher I have to point this out. She is part of the royal family and has duties. She is the Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland and Crown Princess's husband is from the county. This means that there is a great interest for us, says Leif Eriksson.
Even other newspapers that were at the place during the visit recognize themselves in the picture.
- It was very frustrating not to be able to ask some questions and not being able to do their job, says Sofia Öhlander, a reporter for Gefle Dagblad. Patrik Åkesson, Chairman of the Royalist association, believes that the princess has the right to be reserved when journalists ask questions.
- I do not know what questions P4 Gävleborg figured to ask, but one can suspect that it is not solely focused on issues of the duchy and what she thinks is important, he says.
P4-chefens kritik – i protestbrev till hovet Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Full program and tight on time, Thorgren? A four hour visit with a lunch in 12.00, visit to Esri 14.15 and to Activity center Helges in 15.00. Thorgren's comments seem arrogant and make the situation even worse.
It also seems that the court is totally unprepared to this situation, that someone really has the courage to criticize them in an open letter.
The world has changed and people don't bow to the royal family anymore.

Last edited:
Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill, Current Events Part 1: December 2012 -

Surprising reaction? Madeleine is the duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland. And if she hasn't given any interviews to the radio ever during her visits to her duchies, the reaction isn't surprising at all.
Reporter Christian Ploog from Sveriges Radio P4 Gävleborg in his Twitter, Margareta Thorgren has answered to them:
Thorgren said that it is probably due to the technique of Radio P4 Gävleborg, Madeleine should have given a special interview to them to make the interview possible. She also said that it is not totally impossible that Madeleine will give an exclusive interview to P4 Gävleborg.
https://twitter.com/christian_ploog/status/563075056516206592/photo/1

Thorgren isn't handling this situation very well. She messed already with the press with the question of nazism Victoria got in Auschwitz and this is another badly handled situation. Like some people wrote at their chronicles, Victoria handled the situation much better and the court's press department.

I think that it isn't always a decision from the court. For instance, when Carl Philip and Sofia arrived to the prize ceremony in November, the press was waiting for them. They could have said "we don't have time for interviews" and went inside to the hall. But they stopped and talked with the press. Same goes for Victoria and Daniel.

Maybe. The court can probably not decide the whole program for a local visit somewhere but they can certainly decide wether or not the royals should stay five or ten minutes longer outside the official program for interviews.

Last edited:

Madde already had the chance to do so, and she chose not to. It seems to me that this is all part of the 'a little bit of everything' that Madde seems to love. A princess yes, but privacy abroad as well. Getting married but the husband doesnt want to be part of the game. Smiling in public at high profile events but talking to the press, no.

It's neither fish nor flesh. This attitude is bound to fail.

I think too much a fuss is being made by this, the woman is on maternity leave and pregnant with her second child and yet she didn't mind traveling to another city because she was aware of the importance of such an event she could have easily not gone saying that she was not feeling well or that she is not obliged to work while on leave.
Now although giving an interview can be beneficial it's her choice whether to give one or not, I think visiting the place is waaay more important than talking about it
I think the biggest crime for the media is that Princess Madeleine is Princess Madeleine. They go after when things around her are uneventful- and rightly so because she is a representative of the country, but then they go after as well when she does work.....she is at a point where she cannot win and honestly I think she should stop giving a damn about the media and focus on what it is that the people want,her duty is to the nation and not to please a reporter after all she has given many interviews in her life ....just not in Gavle
I too like the court think that this is surprising and uncalled for, she had a tight shedule and there weren't any interviews planned before hand....I would of course understand criticism for not visiting the place or canceling the event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom