Madeleine and Chris: Media and Public Opinion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the video of the Nobel Prize ceremony. The King's Song starts at 7.43 and Chris is shown there. Kungssången (The King's Song) is a Royal Anthem which is sung usually when the king attends the various ceremonies and visits, but sometimes also as a pure tribute to him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sy3Vp7DNpE

Saw the video and he looks very uncomfortable in his present situation. This particular "incident" is not really much of one at all - he didn't do anything inappropriate IMO. But many posters keep sating that Chris is just a "private citizen" well, he is not - he is low on the totem pole but nonetheless a member of the SRF. He is introduced with the official SRF - when he married Madeleine he became part of a royal family. If he wants to be a private citizen he should not attend these types of official SRF events.

He's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. If he didn't turn up at the Nobel events, he would be soundly criticised because this is apparently one of the big with a capital "B" events on the Swedish Royal calendar.

He's criticised for chewing gum and looking bored. I'll go for nonchalant rather than bored, because he seems to just be sitting quietly and impassively like everyone else, and I would have thought would be fine for these events. The main offence seems to be the gum chewing, but maybe he thought no-one would care what he was doing. Was he chewing gum all the time he was there or did they only post the footage of him chewing gum? If he chews all the time, he must have a serious nicotine addiction, but is chewing really such a terrible thing to do? At least he's there!

Agreed. Damn if he does and dam if he doesn't. What would he supposed to do? (This reminds me of the Carole's chewinggate, btw... a big deal fro some days) I guess it would be better for him to simply disappear and even then he would get blows.

:previous: I agree. This is much ado about nothing. He's there supporting his wife and that is commendable. He is well dressed and groomed. What more do people want. It is not as if he was unaware the cameras were on him, he looked right at them, so I am guessing nobody told him that chewing gum is deemed to be rude, offensive and disrespectful. (It isn't, merely a minor cultural difference).

Chris could be chewing gum to tighten his jaw and neck muscles. Right now he has a bit of a double-chin. Or it could be nicotine gum and he's trying to quit smoking. Or he could have been constipated, the sorbitol in a piece of sugar-free gum is equivalent to eating a prune. Or he could have been worried about meeting the Nobel laureates with bad breath.

There are plenty of good reasons people have for chewing gum.

Chris could be chewing gum to tighten his jaw and neck muscles. Right now he has a bit of a double-chin. Or it could be nicotine gum and he's trying to quit smoking. Or he could have been constipated, the sorbitol in a piece of sugar-free gum is equivalent to eating a prune. Or he could have been worried about meeting the Nobel laureates with bad breath.

There are plenty of good reasons people have for chewing gum.

But uh... Not ever in a publicly broadcast formal celebration.

I mean, it's not a national scandal but it's definitely a bit gauche.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Was he chewing gum all the time he was there or did they only post the footage of him chewing gum? If he chews all the time, he must have a serious nicotine addiction, but is chewing really such a terrible thing to do? At least he's there!

The video I posted is the official broadcast from SVT. Of course they are showing the members of the royal family, the honorary guests of the ceremony.
Since I have never smoked, I don't know if it is so hard for the smokers to be without smoking 1 hour 10 minutes that one has to chew a gum. Of course Chris knows that the royal family is filmed when The King's Song is sung. If he just could have been without chewing for that 45 seconds which the song lasted, it wouldn't have been so embarrassing. The song which is sung in honor of his father-in-law, the Head of State of Sweden.

Chewing gum, oh of all things, shame on him for disrespecting this father-in-law, hog wash I say. He is a smoker and knowing many who do that and I sure don't, I see how hard it is when going to the movies or a place that does not allow smoking. He was there to support the his wife and the royal family, what more can people expect of him. I applaud him for even going, and those long dinners can be very boring regardless of the event.:lol:

Chewing gum, oh of all things, shame on him for disrespecting this father-in-law, hog wash I say. He is a smoker and knowing many who do that and I sure don't, I see how hard it is when going to the movies or a place that does not allow smoking. He was there to support the his wife and the royal family, what more can people expect of him. I applaud him for even going, and those long dinners can be very boring regardless of the event.:lol:

He just should not have gone to the ceremony. I do not think he wants to be considered a member of the SRF, so why go to public SRF events? :what: His gum - chewing had nothing to do with him getting his nicotine fix (the ceremony was only 1 hour and 10 minutes), he had a bad case of nerves IMO. He definitely should not be beheaded (a la Marie-Antoinette), but still just a tad bit inappropriate for the situation. Chris needs to leave the idea of being "royal" to those willing to cooperate and be "royal." He should have been working in London instead...just sayin' (?) (????)

He just should not have gone to the ceremony. I do not think he wants to be considered a member of the SRF, so why go to public SRF events? :what: His gum - chewing had nothing to do with him getting his nicotine fix (the ceremony was only 1 hour and 10 minutes), he had a bad case of nerves IMO. He definitely should not be beheaded (a la Marie-Antoinette), but still just a tad bit inappropriate for the situation. Chris needs to leave the idea of being "royal" to those willing to cooperate and be "royal." He should have been working in London instead...just sayin' (?) (������?)

The ceremony might have only been one hour and 10 minutes long, but there was also the lead-up stuff and travelling and waiting around and then going home, all probably in places or vehicles that were declared "non-smoking". So we could be looking at 3 or more hours of expecting someone whose go-to response to an uncomfortable situation is to reach for a fag. I was a smoker for two decades, so I can relate.

But basically I just don't get the problem with the discreet chewing. He didn't have his mouth open; he wasn't looking around to gain attention, he wasn't blowing bubbles; he wasn't reaching forward to stash his gum underneath his neighbour's chair. He was sitting quietly, he just happened to be chewing something.

He's made it clear he doesn't want to be royal, and he's not trying to be royal, he's just gone to a function that's important to his wife's family to support her, and he's being crucified for the fact he was apparently chewing gum. I feel very sorry for him. If I were him, I would tell them all to ... go away ... but far less politely.

Last edited:
I didn't know he was a smoker, I hope he is giving it up for his young children's sake. Bringing an oxygen tank to the nobles in a couple of decades could be even more gauche

I agree, that's its no big deal. The media is always looking to bash Chris, probably because he is perceived to be an "American Wall Street Banker", no matter how inaccurate.

I hope he was chewing gum to control nicotine urges rather than get a nicotine fix - I hope he's quit.

The ceremony might have only been one hour and 10 minutes long, but there was also the lead-up stuff and travelling and waiting around and then going home, all probably in places or vehicles that were declared "non-smoking". So we could be looking at 3 or more hours of expecting someone whose go-to response to an uncomfortable situation is to reach for a fag. I was a smoker for two decades, so I can relate.

He should have worn a nicotine patch then to ease his cravings. Chewing gum was completely inappropriate and disrespectful.

How is Prince Harry, who seems to be heavily addicted to nicotine, able to cope in similar situations without having to chew gum ?

:previous:Two very different people and it is said, Different strokes for different people! Not all smokers are alike in their cravings. Besides it is not the end of the world, it is a small thing, so don't sweat the small stuff, way to many big things to deal with in life.

Most importantly he was there for Madeleine and her family, that says it all!

Storm in a teacup is all I can say about #gumgate.

:previous: I agree. This is much ado about nothing. He's there supporting his wife and that is commendable. He is well dressed and groomed. What more do people want. It is not as if he was unaware the cameras were on him, he looked right at them, so I am guessing nobody told him that chewing gum is deemed to be rude, offensive and disrespectful. (It isn't, merely a minor cultural difference).

Haven't you noticed that Chris is the scapegoat of the press? He is, apparently, the only member of the family (much more than Madeleine IMO) who can be harshly criticised...:whistling:

Haven't you noticed that Chris is the scapegoat of the press? He is, apparently, the only member of the family (much more than Madeleine IMO) who can be harshly criticised...:whistling:

Chris did that to himself - there are a few incidents of him being obnoxious to the press (not that they can't be also, but THEY do the reporting). A 41 year-old brat having a minor temper tantrum in front of the press (he has flipped them off several times) is just not a pretty site. :mad:

Isn't the press suppose to respect the boundaries of people, oh I guess not, anything for a story, true or made up is what the media is all about anymore. Common decency and respect have gone out the window with these people.

As for Chris even if he is married to a princess does not mean he has to kiss whatever they have, I sure in the heck wouldn't. People need to learn something about Boundaries in life, we just can't do as we please to other people and think it is okay for it is not Okay to overstep those boundaries. I like Chris, he stands up for his beliefs and who he is as a person, he ask nothing from *Anybody, not one single thing, my view of the media is that all they want is a darn story, true or not, just something to sell the people to make more money, it is all about greed with them and always will be.

He does not have to report to the media anything he does not want them to know, his life is His and his family. I so wish someone would turn the tables on the media and do to them what they do to others, turn about fair play I say. Wonder how the media reporters would take that if someone did...would be interesting indeed.:lol:

He should have worn a nicotine patch then to ease his cravings. Chewing gum was completely inappropriate and disrespectful.

How is Prince Harry, who seems to be heavily addicted to nicotine, able to cope in similar situations without having to chew gum ?
Prince Harry is born royal and has attended official events, (Trooping of the Colour) etc. since he was a small child and then, of course, he has the discipline as of Sandhurst and the Army behind him. He was born to royal protocol, Chris was not.

Chris did that to himself - there are a few incidents of him being obnoxious to the press (not that they can't be also, but THEY do the reporting). A 41 year-old brat having a minor temper tantrum in front of the press (he has flipped them off several times) is just not a pretty site. :mad:
Once again, I do not believe Chris had any idea of the media storm about to land on his head after dating a pretty princess that not a lot of people took any notice of in NY but the European press went nuts when they married.

Rationally, no one could have expected him to imagine the degree of intrusion into their personal lives let alone the vile and nasty press reports when he had somehow "displeased" them. So I should imagine the degree of frustration involved when the media got in his and Madeleine's face. Flipping them off is hardly surprising but calling him a 41-year-old brat certainly is. It shows a deep lack of empathy and tolerance which seems to be used all too often. It bugs me that they have indeed made a scapegoat of Chris and turned him into their very own whipping boy.

Prince Harry is born royal and has attended official events, (Trooping of the Colour) etc. since he was a small child and then, of course, he has the discipline as of Sandhurst and the Army behind him. He was born to royal protocol, Chris was not.

Once again, I do not believe Chris had any idea of the media storm about to land on his head after dating a pretty princess that not a lot of people took any notice of in NY but the European press went nuts when they married.

Rationally, no one could have expected him to imagine the degree of intrusion into their personal lives let alone the vile and nasty press reports when he had somehow "displeased" them. So I should imagine the degree of frustration involved when the media got in his and Madeleine's face. Flipping them off is hardly surprising but calling him a 41-year-old brat certainly is. It shows a deep lack of empathy and tolerance which seems to be used all too often. It bugs me that they have indeed made a scapegoat of Chris and turned him into their very own whipping boy.
You make several good points. Mostly that tabloid readers need to have a scapegoat. It makes me sick

But basically I just don't get the problem with the discreet chewing. He didn't have his mouth open; he wasn't looking around to gain attention, he wasn't blowing bubbles; he wasn't reaching forward to stash his gum underneath his neighbour's chair. He was sitting quietly, he just happened to be chewing something.

What fun had he been doing so! :flowers: Especially the snapping and crackling kind of chewing! ;) I see what i saw before: to me he looked pretty tired, maybe even not-well (cold, something) and with what looked like a scrub beard. When I am doing a long drive and am tired, the best thing to keep me awake is either munching on nibbles or chewing gum. Not saying that was what he was doing, only that the choice to do so could have several reasons behind it.

Anyway, were it not for the cameras, we would have known nothing about it and no one would have been the wiser.
Ah, for the olden days! :cool:

Royal behavior has always been a focus of discussion, critique and sometimes even ridicule since time immemorial. Chris O'Neill may have been chewing gum for reasons known only to him, but to be honest, this criticism can't hold a candle to the coverage HM, Queen Elizabeth II received from her presence at the opening games of the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

People sure like to put their own meaning behind what they see.

https://drlillianglassbodylanguageb...d-humiliation-at-olympics-opening-ceremonies/

Let's be honest, Madeleine and Chris bring some spark into this family. Now lots of people around the whole world are discussing about them. Without them, this royal family is kinda of boring. Victoria and Daniel is a very boring couple, sorry if I offend their fans.

Someone posted a comment in YouTube after watching their interview, let me quote:" I like Chris, What a shame he declined Royalty" This guy is right, Chris will make an awesome Prince.

Professor William Campbell gave the best speech that night, he mentioned that it's time to give respect to parasites. I was just very curious and have been wondering, was Professor Campbell trying to help and defend Mr Chris O'Neill, a parasite in the Finance World? Well, I believe there was an underlying message in his speech and was very touched that he wanted the world to show respect to PARASITES. Thank You, Professor Campbell!

I think the good professor was referring to parasites as they physically are. He won the Nobel Prize in medicine for his research work in the parasite field.

Us ordinary people just normally say we caught a "bug".

What fun had he been doing so! :flowers: Especially the snapping and crackling kind of chewing! ;) I see what i saw before: to me he looked pretty tired, maybe even not-well (cold, something) and with what looked like a scrub beard. When I am doing a long drive and am tired, the best thing to keep me awake is either munching on nibbles or chewing gum. Not saying that was what he was doing, only that the choice to do so could have several reasons behind it.

Anyway, were it not for the cameras, we would have known nothing about it and no one would have been the wiser.
Ah, for the olden days! :cool:

After reading your post I had another look at the footage of the controversial incident and you are right: there are other possibilities. I agree that he does look tired and maybe not well, and I thought that when I first saw the video. It's possible that he has a cold and a very sore throat and that instead of being bored he just wasn't feeling well, and rather than committing the heinous social crime of chewing gum, he was in fact just sucking/chewing on throat lozenges.

Last edited:
[...] Victoria and Daniel is a very boring couple, sorry if I offend their fans. [...]

What do you expect the future Queen of Sweden do differently than she does now? To make er less "boring" for you? Apparently she has to "entertain" you but that is not her duty neither the position she is into...

:whistling:

I'd say Victoria with the immense popularity she has amongst the Swedish people is just about as exciting as they want her to be.

Isn't the press suppose to respect the boundaries of people, oh I guess not, anything for a story, true or made up is what the media is all about anymore. Common decency and respect have gone out the window with these people.

As for Chris even if he is married to a princess does not mean he has to kiss whatever they have, I sure in the heck wouldn't. People need to learn something about Boundaries in life, we just can't do as we please to other people and think it is okay for it is not Okay to overstep those boundaries. I like Chris, he stands up for his beliefs and who he is as a person, he ask nothing from *Anybody, not one single thing, my view of the media is that all they want is a darn story, true or not, just something to sell the people to make more money, it is all about greed with them and always will be.

He does not have to report to the media anything he does not want them to know, his life is His and his family. I so wish someone would turn the tables on the media and do to them what they do to others, turn about fair play I say. Wonder how the media reporters would take that if someone did...would be interesting indeed.:lol:

Common decency has gone kaput with the press. So in the early days of Chris and Madeleine's relationship, when spotted by the press, he decides to be an @$$ and flip-off them off. Now why show your temper to the entourage of paparazzi who have no common decency to begin with? Makes no sense, he set the tone for the bad press he now gets. Some common decency from Chris in the beginning would have been the most appropriate thing to do. Chris also needs to realize there are boundaries in the world of royalty and he should not do as he pleases. He is 41 years old, married with 2 babies, and needs to grow up. Temper tantrums should be out at this stage in his life, and he needs to follow royal protocol or just stay home or working in London. IDNT he's a bad person, he just doesn't like the media following his every move and that is understandable. But his behavior toward the paps has only contributed to the bad press he receives. The rule he should know at this point in his life is - always be the better person - ALWAYS.

Several people have mentioned Prince Harry, who because of some of his past actions, could also be a scapegoat for the press but he is not. Harry knows he has to kind to the press in order to receive good media attention. Chris and Harry have different personalities, but Chris should take a cue from Harry and be sensable when the press is watching your every move.

Common decency has gone kaput with the press. So in the early days of Chris and Madeleine's relationship, when spotted by the press, he decides to be an @$$ and flip-off them off. Now why show your temper to the entourage of paparazzi who have no common decency to begin with? Makes no sense, he set the tone for the bad press he now gets. Some common decency from Chris in the beginning would have been the most appropriate thing to do. Chris also needs to realize there are boundaries in the world of royalty and he should not do as he pleases. He is 41 years old, married with 2 babies, and needs to grow up. Temper tantrums should be out at this stage in his life, and he needs to follow royal protocol or just stay home or working in London. IDNT he's a bad person, he just doesn't like the media following his every move and that is understandable. But his behavior toward the paps has only contributed to the bad press he receives. The rule he should know at this point in his life is - always be the better person - ALWAYS.

Exactly. The finger incident was shortly before their wedding, when the couple was already engaged.
Nu sågas Chris i prinsessboken | Bröllopet | Aftonbladet

And I don't get all this talk about Chris being a private person - he is not. He's married to a swedish princess and the son in law of the swedish king, he has to act accordingly.

And he would be the first private person who goes to a talk show and give the public intimate stories about his children's favourite toys etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom