Madeleine and Chris: Media and Public Opinion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should Chris change his whole life for Maddie marrying her was a big change in it self. He has a career and it means he needs to be in London. I think Maddie is a wife and mother first and she is doing what she feels is best for her husband and children and their life together.

She simply needs to decide what royal engagements she will do and when and do them.

I also believe Chris and Maddie talked about their future well in advance of the wedding. They know what they are doing and how they want their lives.

Madeleine and Chris: Media Negativity and Public Opinion

I just think that had the family lived in Stockholm, it would much be better... Madeleine could do some engagements ( not many as Sofia has taken over her now, and she is a minor royal) and she would have the life that she wants: glam, few duties and society with upperclass friends, as well as support for her and her children, with her family closed to her. I have long suspected now that Chris wouldn't even make an effort and try to fit in Stockholm. I know it is hard for the language, his business, his lifestyle and all, but at least he could try. Besides, not much would be requested from him in terms of public appeareances.

In Sweden the royal house is to small to differentiate between minor royals, full time royals etc... like they do in the UK. If we did do so Sofia wouldn't be considered a minor royal at all - the amount of engagements she's had since coming back from her honeymoon shows, to me, that she's being groomed for a very central role in the royal family like the one that ,for instance, Sophie of Wessex has in the House of Windsor.

As has been said, part of the problem is how unbelievably inept the SRF PR Dept is when it comes to Madeleine and Chris. However, they don't seem to help their cause either when it comes to how the Public perceives them. It really is just sad all around, but I truly believe just giving the odd interview to the Press about what she does for Childhood or her Duchy behind the scenes, would make the World of Difference perception wise for Madeleine. JMO of course, but I do believe it would help.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree with you. The SRF has a very inept PR department to be putting it mildly. And I also agree that Madeleine and Chris and not helping themselves on bit. IMO, the family and PR department treat Madeleine with kid gloves, kind of like they don't want to rock the boat. It seems a very complicated situation.

Why should Chris change his whole life for Maddie marrying her was a big change in it self. He has a career and it means he needs to be in London. I think Maddie is a wife and mother first and she is doing what she feels is best for her husband and children and their life together.

She simply needs to decide what royal engagements she will do and when and do them.

I also believe Chris and Maddie talked about their future well in advance of the wedding. They know what they are doing and how they want their lives.
Great post. Totally agree with you.

Of course Madeleine and Chris should be able to live their lives their way but they are not living completely private lives and because of that they are subjecting themselves to significant scrutiny and judgement by the media and public.

Madeleine was born a princess and HRH, I can see Madeleine being able to have her cake and eat it too when it comes to not living in Sweden but keeping her HRH status, princess title and only doing a few engagements, however it may be a bit much to have a big, fat Swedish wedding, grand christenings for her children, princess/prince titles and HRH status for her children and all the while living outside of Sweden. If Madeleine wants to maintain her royal goodies and have royal goodies conferred on her children then more power to her, but with that comes controversy and vocal detractors. I don't think that there is a right or wrong answer, and there are plenty of people who are totally fine with Madeleine and Chris' choices, but at the same time there are those who think that Madeleine is taking much more than she is giving and are making that known.

In Sweden the royal house is to small to differentiate between minor royals, full time royals etc... like they do in the UK. If we did do so Sofia wouldn't be considered a minor royal at all - the amount of engagements she's had since coming back from her honeymoon shows, to me, that she's being groomed for a very central role in the royal family like the one that ,for instance, Sophie of Wessex has in the House of Windsor.

What I meant is that with the marriage of Carl Philip, Madeleine would be even more limited in her engagements, since her brother and his wife have a more prominent role and they have de facto, taken over as a helping couple to the crown princess and her husband. Madeleine wouldn't be really much "needed" now. (In terms of duties of course.)

There is no reason why Madeleine couldn't have as prominent role in royal work duties in Sweden as Carl Philip and Sofia, if Madeleine would live in Sweden and be interested in working as much as Carl Philip and Sofia.
In 2014 the royal family got 1641 invitations and request to attend events, and they attended at 877 events. Of course all the events aren't such that the king finds them appropriate a member of the royal family to attend, but there would be work to do for Madeleine too.
Of course one must think about the apanage, but the events in Stockholm/near it wouldn't be very expensive and now when Madeleine lives in London, her travel costs are obviously paid from the apanage.

Last edited:
I just think that had the family lived in Stockholm, it would much be better... Madeleine could do some engagements ( not many as Sofia has taken over her now, and she is a minor royal) and she would have the life that she wants: glam, few duties and society with upperclass friends, as well as support for her and her children, with her family closed to her. I have long suspected now that Chris wouldn't even make an effort and try to fit in Stockholm. I know it is hard for the language, his business, his lifestyle and all, but at least he could try. Besides, not much would be requested from him in terms of public appeareances.

Sofia is not a "minor royal". Even if CP falls next year to 4th in line to the throne, he's still the most likely regent of Sweden in the unlikely event that Estelle ascends the throne while still being a minor.

As for Madeleine, I think the situation is a little bit more complicated than being independent or building a life for herself. As the article said, she still attends the glamour events of the Swediish monarchy like weddings, baptisms, the Nobel ceremony and gala, or the state opening of parliament. But she doesn't do the "bread and butter" work of an HRH like visiting copper mines or locker factories as her siblings and siblings-in-law do. That looks bad on her.

Last edited:
There is no reason why Madeleine couldn't have as prominent role in royal work duties in Sweden as Carl Philip and Sofia, if Madeleine would live in Sweden and be interested in working as much as Carl Philip and Sofia.
In 2014 the royal family got 1641 invitations and request to attend events, and they attended at 877 events. Of course all the events aren't such that the king finds them appropriate a member of the royal family to attend, but there would be work to do for Madeleine too.
Of course one must think about the apanage, but the events in Stockholm/near it wouldn't be very expensive and now when Madeleine lives in London, her travel costs are obviously paid from the apanage.

So her travel expenses in and out of London to and from Sweden are being covered by the apanage and she still keeps the renovated Royal Mews apartment (under the right of disposal) while she is in Sweden. Not a bad deal for someone who attends only a few royal events per year !

Are their public opinion polls done on the popularity of the SRF and Madeleine in particular?

i know in Britain if people only paid attention to the press and tabloids you'd think the monarchy would be abolished but non-biased opinion polls show its popularity.

What's Madeleine's personal popularity as reflected in opinion polls and not just newspaper articles?

Sofia is not a "minor royal". Even if CP falls next year to 4th in line to the throne, he's still the most likely regent of Sweden in the unlikely event that Estelle ascends the throne while still being a minor.

As for Madeleine, I think the situation is a little bit more complicated than being independent or building a life for herself. As the article said, she still attends the glamour events of the Swediish monarchy like weddings, baptisms, the Nobel ceremony and gala, or the state opening of parliament. But she doesn't do the "bread and butter" work of an HRH like visiting copper mines or locker factories as her siblings and siblings-in-law do. That looks bad on her.

Well, to be fair both CP and Madeleine hadn't worked a lot before their wedding. Let's ba fair, CP didn't had many engagements before marrying. Actually, he has never worked harder than now! Now that he and Sofia are a couple, they are needed to support the crown prncely couple. But before that, he had always been a bit in the shadows. Same goes for Madeleine. To be honest, I don't think that much has changed for her. Maybe without young children she would do an engagment or two per month, but I seriously doubt Madeline would work harder than that. (Same for CP if he were still single).

Well, to be fair both CP and Madeleine hadn't worked a lot before their wedding. Let's ba fair, CP didn't had many engagements before marrying. Actually, he has never worked harder than now! Now that he and Sofia are a couple, they are needed to support the crown prncely couple. But before that, he had always been a bit in the shadows. Same goes for Madeleine. To be honest, I don't think that much has changed for her. Maybe without young children she would do an engagment or two per month, but I seriously doubt Madeline would work harder than that. (Same for CP if he were still single).

Carl Philip hasn't worked this year so far so much more than last year, maybe 5 work days more. But when Carl Philip worked alone, there was perhaps 1-2 reporters from the local media (not always even that), and 1-2 photographers (not always even that, just the court staff took photos). But now when he is working with Sofia, there are always many photographers and reporters from the national media and even abroad. On their visit to Värmland in the end of August there were 70 representatives from media, even many royal photographers from Europe. On their visit to Dalarna there was about 30 representatives from media, even a couple royal photographers from Europe. There is a lot of photos and lots of news articles, so it seems like they are working very much. Perhaps only the new year begins, we will see how much Carl Philip and Sofia work. And in 2014 Carl Philip was about 15 days at the Northern Coasts -military exercise, which were at the court calendar. So he was at work, although not seen so much, only at the press day.
So the difference between Carl Philip working alone and now with Sofia isn't in working load big, but now Carl Philip gets a lot of media coverage and it looks like he is working much more.
In September Carl Philip and Sofia had according to the court calendar both 7 work events (three of them at the Opening of the Parliament).

Last edited:
Sofia and CP are having a baby. This birth will fully secure the Swedish line of succession and will move Leonore and Nicolas further down the line.

I hope this birth will allow for Madeleine and Chris to make decisions that are best for their family, without having to consider the throne or SRF.

In other words: Madeleine is free to live where she wants and her children will eventually be moved out of the succession line if they stay in London.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Sofia and CP are having a baby. This birth will fully secure the Swedish line of succession and will move Leonore and Nicolas further down the line.

I hope this birth will allow for Madeleine and Chris to make decisions that are best for their family, without having to consider the throne or SRF.

In other words: Madeleine is free to live where she wants and her children will eventually be moved out of the succession line if they stay in London.

With the birth of Victoria's second child and Carl Philip's first child, Leonor and Nicolas will go down to 7th and 8th respectively in the line of succession. I agree they may stay in London and give up their sucession rights.

If Princess Leonore and Prince Nicolas lose their succession rights, will they also lose their titles?

Of course Madeleine and Chris should be able to live their lives their way but they are not living completely private lives and because of that they are subjecting themselves to significant scrutiny and judgement by the media and public.

Madeleine was born a princess and HRH, I can see Madeleine being able to have her cake and eat it too when it comes to not living in Sweden but keeping her HRH status, princess title and only doing a few engagements, however it may be a bit much to have a big, fat Swedish wedding, grand christenings for her children, princess/prince titles and HRH status for her children and all the while living outside of Sweden. If Madeleine wants to maintain her royal goodies and have royal goodies conferred on her children then more power to her, but with that comes controversy and vocal detractors. I don't think that there is a right or wrong answer, and there are plenty of people who are totally fine with Madeleine and Chris' choices, but at the same time there are those who think that Madeleine is taking much more than she is giving and are making that known.

Agree, P. Madeleine could still be HRH Princess of Sweden, Duchess of ----- and do a few engagements a year and still live a relatively private life. But now she has two children who are also prince/princess of Sweden and duke/duchess of -----. Have also read that both of them have their mom's last name - Bernadotte - and not their fathers. But she wants to live a mostly private life????? She probably feels left out now and will pop out another kid before next year's end. Seems many royals, as they fall further down the line of succession (think Madeleine, Caroline of Monaco, Antoinette of Monaco,the Duke of York) have a hard time accepting their fate of being less and less significant/relevant. Must sting a lot and underneath it all, and stir up very harsh, bitter feelings within themselves because they do not like feeling less entitled.

I don't see why Madeleine should ask her father to remove her children out of the line of succession while those of her brother and his wife will be in the line of succession. I certainly hope the princess will not give in to media hysteria and keep things as they are. Hypes are annoying but in the end they pass and new ones will start. Let's hope that the press will soon find another and more deserving topic to hype.

Last edited:
Hypes are annoying but in the end they pass and new ones will start.

Sooo true. Sad to think people make a living trying to spin tales to sell papers.
But let's enjoy the happy news today from CP and Sofia.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why Madeleine should ask her father to remove her children out of the line of succession while those of her brother and his wife will be in the line of succession.

I don't think it is about asking her father to remove the kids out of the line. It is about Madeleine choosing a different life than a life in Sweden. That has automatic consequences for her children's succession rights, so it is not about pro-actively removing them.

Since both Victoria and Sofia will give birth next Spring, I assume they will be on maternity leave for at least some months.
Can we expect, or will it be expected, that Madeleine come back to Sweden more often to man the fort so to speak. - After all the menfolks are not nearly as interesting to the public as the younger ladies...

I had read some time here that to be the children of the Madeleine in the line of succession must start school in sweden. That's true? Otherwise they lose the right to succession, or remember it all wrong;

Since both Victoria and Sofia will give birth next Spring, I assume they will be on maternity leave for at least some months.
Can we expect, or will it be expected, that Madeleine come back to Sweden more often to man the fort so to speak. - After all the menfolks are not nearly as interesting to the public as the younger ladies...

Madeleine has then still right to be on her maternity leave...

:previous: Wonder if she will exercise that right fully?

I can't remember how long Victoria had her maternity leave. The full time? Or did she do the odd event from time to time?

But do you think Madeleine will be expected by the general public to return and cover a number of events? I.e standing in for her sister and sister-in-law. Not least since her youngest will be some nine months when Sopfia and Victoria give birth.
- It would help her popularity IMO.

:previous: Wonder if she will exercise that right fully?

I can't remember how long Victoria had her maternity leave. The full time? Or did she do the odd event from time to time?

But do you think Madeleine will be expected by the general public to return and cover a number of events? I.e standing in for her sister and sister-in-law. Not least since her youngest will be some nine months when Sopfia and Victoria give birth.
- It would help her popularity IMO.

Estelle was born 23rd February. Victoria attended on 23th March at the reception and lunch when Charles and Camilla visited Sweden. Victoria attended also on two days at two events at the state visit of the Finnish president in April, and on King's birthday. In May she attended at the visit of the Federal President of Germany, delivered the Alma-Prize and attended at the meeting of the Friends of Nordiska Museet and Skansen. In June she had some events. And after the summer holiday she continued working, but of course less than normally. After Estelle was about a year old, Victoria returned to her normal work routine.

How long is maternity leave in Sweden?
In Sweden, parents are entitled to 480 days of paid parental leave when a child is born or adopted. In Sweden’s efforts to achieve gender equality, each parent is entitled to 240 of the 480 days of paid parental leave. Each parent has two months reserved exclusively for him or her. Should a father – or a mother for that matter – decide not to take them, they cannot be transferred to the partner.
The family-friendly Swedish society _ sweden.se

Last edited:
How long is maternity leave in Sweden?
There is no such thing as maternity leave in Sweden, per se. We have parental leave that is split up between the mother and the father for about 1,5 years of days you can take out until the kid reaches the age of 8 years. So there is no "normal" maternity leave since the parents decide how much time to take out per parent. But the general is probably 7-12 months for the mother, although some start much earlier or take the full time themselves. If I remember correctly Victoria started doing engagements about 3 months after the work but was on a lower frequensy until after about a year. Then Daniel took his paternity leave.

Then Daniel took his paternity leave.

Although the press wanted to write much about Daniel's paternity leave, he held it a week or two now and then. He had work events every month after Estelle was born in 2012. And in every month in 2013.

Carl Philip hasn't worked this year so far so much more than last year, maybe 5 work days more. But when Carl Philip worked alone, there was perhaps 1-2 reporters from the local media (not always even that), and 1-2 photographers (not always even that, just the court staff took photos). But now when he is working with Sofia, there are always many photographers and reporters from the national media and even abroad. On their visit to Värmland in the end of August there were 70 representatives from media, even many royal photographers from Europe. On their visit to Dalarna there was about 30 representatives from media, even a couple royal photographers from Europe. There is a lot of photos and lots of news articles, so it seems like they are working very much. Perhaps only the new year begins, we will see how much Carl Philip and Sofia work. And in 2014 Carl Philip was about 15 days at the Northern Coasts -military exercise, which were at the court calendar. So he was at work, although not seen so much, only at the press day.
So the difference between Carl Philip working alone and now with Sofia isn't in working load big, but now Carl Philip gets a lot of media coverage and it looks like he is working much more.
In September Carl Philip and Sofia had according to the court calendar both 7 work events (three of them at the Opening of the Parliament).

I've always had the impression that CP didn't work so much before the wedding, but maybe you're right and it is the press that spins it now with Sofia. Truth is that if Madeleine would work "more" there wouldn't be a big difference IMO.

Although the press wanted to write much about Daniel's paternity leave, he held it a week or two now and then. He had work events every month after Estelle was born in 2012. And in every month in 2013.
Hmm... I thought he did as Victoria did. She took her time to recuperate after the birth but when she got back she went down to a "part time" schedule, wich was her version of maternity leave. And when Daniel "took over" he did the same. Not full time paternal leave, but a paternal part time :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom