Madeleine and Chris: Media and Public Opinion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG..who cares why Chris was absent?! It's his and Madeleine's business and no one else's. And Madeleine looked perfectly content to me.

Why doesn't the press just back off and leave this man the heck alone??:bang:

Last edited:
Goodness there is a lot of bad will for this couple.
It's like a lot of people are willing a marriage breakdown. I wonder if the person on the street is feeling this way

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Well, I've critizised a lot the inconsistency about Chris attending or not. But it was clear that he would not attend last night. He moved to the UK, so I expect him to be out of the picture in the future unless his attendance is announced.

Madeleine wants to be a princess so she will attend events alone, pregnant or not. Its her choice. I dont get why a husband has to be around her, just because she is pregnant? Obviously she is well enough to attend, no need for somebody to hold her hand for the sake of it.

:previous: Exactly. She's pregnant, not ill.

I suspect Chris may be catching up on work to make sure that he is able to be at Madeleine's side when she goes into labor.

I suspect Chris may be catching up on work to make sure that he is able to be at Madeleine's side when she goes into labor.

Good point. :flowers: There may be some length of time he wants to be with her and Lenore once the new baby is born, so they made a choice: he would be gone either before or after the birth. They chose after. We'll see, anyway. Clearly Madeleine is fine with whatever decision they have made. She looks very good with this pregnancy. I'm hoping for a boy for them, just for fun. But, of course, really hope the babe is healthy and happy.

Good point. :flowers: There may be some length of time he wants to be with her and Lenore once the new baby is born, so they made a choice: he would be gone either before or after the birth. They chose after. We'll see, anyway. Clearly Madeleine is fine with whatever decision they have made. She looks very good with this pregnancy. I'm hoping for a boy for them, just for fun. But, of course, really hope the babe is healthy and happy.

Also I think it is more important for Madeleine that he shows up for their wedding anniversary tomorrow and her birthday on the 10th, than for an official function which he is not obligated to attend

Also I think it is more important for Madeleine that he shows up for their wedding anniversary tomorrow and her birthday on the 10th, than for an official function which he is not obligated to attend

Bingo! It's a question of priorities.

I really feel sad for Madie!!! She looks sad, had however the courage to participate partly in the national day celebrations.
Chris has left for London for various reason said the Court press officer, probably but the timing is not appropriate!! Has life in Stockholm become so unbearable to him? or has he been so naive to believe he could live with a princess as an outsider, not doing any effort to attract sympathy, and still not be critised in the press, in addition to questions about his current job.
The royal family is indeed a family business, showing interest in participating and learning Swedish are a must... Couldn´t he at least have some patience, a few months until the baby is born? to avoid bad rumors, and support his wife pregnant.
He appeared to me as being nice on one single occasion: in the January video (year with the royal family) in the part filmed in Solliden. He obviously has difficulties to stand the pressure from paps, who tend to exagerate.
I wish them the best!

Well, I've critizised a lot the inconsistency about Chris attending or not. But it was clear that he would not attend last night. He moved to the UK, so I expect him to be out of the picture in the future unless his attendance is announced.

Madeleine wants to be a princess so she will attend events alone, pregnant or not. Its her choice. I dont get why a husband has to be around her, just because she is pregnant? Obviously she is well enough to attend, no need for somebody to hold her hand for the sake of it.

I agree 100%. A pregnant woman does not require her husband around her all the time. Many husbands are overseas while wife even delivers. She seems a big healthy girl. He has a very nice job. Madeleine knew exactly what her life was going to be like when she married Chris. A good marriage is always give and take. Chris is not insisting that Mattie is with him in UK constantly, but apparently he must be for many good reasons. Just setting up his business in another country permanently is a huge undertaking. Hiring proper staff alone stressful.

I don't believe that there is any great problem with their marriage. It is all just other people that demand their critique of someone else's time. I am getting the strong feeling that many selfish people really want this new marriage to fail. The media most of all. I thought Spain was bad, now I am revising my opinion.

Mattie does not give me the feelings that I should ever feel sorry for her. She can always run back to the palace if her husband has to work late or is involved in a complicated business deal. Not that long via air. Life is not the same for everyone. They are working out theirs together. And if done right and together, it could be a brilliant union. Hope so.

OMG..who cares why Chris was absent?! It's his and Madeleine's business and no one else's. And Madeleine looked perfectly content to me.

Why doesn't the press just back off and leave this man the heck alone??:bang:

I agree! I really can't see what is the big deal! Chris isn't there. So what! This is a non-discussion.

Yeah I really cannot understand what the big deal is. Not exactly uncommon in this day and age for a pregnant woman to attend events without their husbands.

LaRae

Yeah I really cannot understand what the big deal is. Not exactly uncommon in this day and age for a pregnant woman to attend events without their husbands.

LaRae

Not to mention the fact that maybe he had to choose which big event to miss in order to have things in the UK at least firmly on stable footing before the birth of their child. Now just which event his absence at would create more fuss over? Missing out on attending Sweden's National Day Celebrations or not attending his Brother in Law's Wedding?

Then again, all of that is plain common sense thinking. Something that is sadly disappearing in this World of ours..

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Not to mention the fact that maybe he had to choose which big event to miss in order to have things in the UK at least firmly on stable footing before the birth of their child. Now just which event his absence at would create more fuss over? Missing out on attending Sweden's National Day Celebrations or not attending his Brother in Law's Wedding?

Then again, all of that is plain common sense thinking. Something that is sadly disappearing in this World of ours..

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Yeah cause like most of us he works a 'regular' type of job ...you can't just come and go as you please and if you own a business you really have even less freedom in some ways. Lots more things to keep watch over.

Common sense is not PC nowdays.

LaRae

Madeleine and Chris: Media Negativity and Public Opinion

He's an uber privileged investment banker, let's not go making him a Man Of The People.

I don't know if this is a symptom that something is wrong with them privately, but I do think they need to get it together on messaging and PR, especially if they intend to again take a royal title for their next child who will be born soon.

Missing royal family events is well and good if they intend to live privately, but if they want to raise their children as Swedish princesses/princes then probably they should get it together and have him there for any occasion when the whole family appears together.

Madeleine could do other engagements by herself, but it's bad optics not to have him there when the rest of the family is present in a public capacity- especially if they intend to have another child christened as a Prince/princess in a few months. The mixed messaging is what opens them up to criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Just because he's rich doesn't mean he doesn't work hard...and I have gotten the impression he is not a trust fund baby...he has to work.

I don't know why anyone would think there is anything wrong with them privately. He's not a royal, he didn't take the titles, he doesn't have to attend all the events. He's not paid by the SRF from what I understand.

There's no reason why it should look bad because she's there sans husband....Sweden is supposed to be a progressive country, feminism and everything equal etc etc. Seems rather contrary for them to then turn around and think something of it because she's not got her husband with her while she's at these events.

LaRae

Just because he's rich doesn't mean he doesn't work hard...and I have gotten the impression he is not a trust fund baby...he has to work.

I don't know why anyone would think there is anything wrong with them privately. He's not a royal, he didn't take the titles, he doesn't have to attend all the events. He's not paid by the SRF from what I understand.

There's no reason why it should look bad because she's there sans husband....Sweden is supposed to be a progressive country, feminism and everything equal etc etc. Seems rather contrary for them to then turn around and think something of it because she's not got her husband with her while she's at these events.

LaRae

Great post ?

We don't know how rich he is in terms of substance. People finance a lot on loan and the papers said they they will move into a house in London that is owned by his mother.

I have no problem with Chris not appearing, as long as it stays that way and he doesnt turn up at some other nice event. They need consistency not going back and forth.

He's an uber privileged investment banker, let's not go making him a Man Of The People.

I don't know if this is a symptom that something is wrong with them privately, but I do think they need to get it together on messaging and PR, especially if they intend to again take a royal title for their next child who will be born soon.

Missing royal family events is well and good if they intend to live privately, but if they want to raise their children as Swedish princesses/princes then probably they should get it together and have him there for any occasion when the whole family appears together.

Madeleine could do other engagements by herself, but it's bad optics not to have him there when the rest of the family is present in a public capacity- especially if they intend to have another child christened as a Prince/princess in a few months. The mixed messaging is what opens them up to criticism.

I am not sure I agree. Chris is a private individual, and time permitting, carries out some engagements in support of his wife, or his wife's family. IMO, he can come and go as he pleases. He is usually present for the key "family" events, though rarely for the state events. This is probably the right mix. The press will eventually get used to it.

I agree.

He did marry a princess, who has at least a semi-active role within the SRF.
And even though Chris O'Neil has opted not to become a member of the SRF with all that entails, there are times when it is "good form" to show up at the side of your royal spouse. Sorry, Chris, that part of the game.
Even though he can he forgiven for occasionally not showing up at high profile events, (the National Day and the Nobel Prize ceremony being two of the most obvious) he shouldn't make a habit of it.
Otherwise he can IMO and justifiable so, be blamed for indifference and lack of respect for his wife's status, the SRF and ultimately Sweden.

Just as Madeleine doesn't seem to have realized that her dynasty continues with the O'Neil line, Chris doesn't seem to have realized that he married a princess and that means he is part of the royal show to some extent, whether he likes it or not.
And that is IMO the core of the criticism they are getting. They are in a kind of "status-limbo".

Goodness there is a lot of bad will for this couple.
It's like a lot of people are willing a marriage breakdown. I wonder if the person on the street is feeling this way

Your comment is well said, I was pretty much thinking the same thing myself. Plus it is only Madeleine and Chris's business as to why he did not attend.

Believe me, when a person owns his own company, he is a very hard worker and it is not a 9 to 5 job. My first husband was even on phone with company business at home into the small hours of the night. Everything is on their backs even if competent employees are hired. I am also quite sure that he is not a poor man [can't picture daddy permitting] which is even a greater stress on owner.

A far as his own time, that is between he and his wife. If he wants to join a family do, fine, if not and wife ok with that, it is absolutely no one else's business. No one is paying him a "salary" to do otherwise. People who think they have the right to even criticize this procedure really have a problem, especially if they are not from that country. It would be like me constantly finding fault with Andy and Fergie living together. Being divorced for years it looks pathetic. Not my business, not my country and not my family even though media constantly finds it demeaning and absurd. We should all really step back and look at our voiced opinions on someone else life. Does it actually change our own life or do we just like to find fault with someone else all the time because we [for whatever reason] don't like or are jealous of their upper-class position. I for one fell into the first area of jealousy in my early 20s. Thank God that passed but I do remember. It was rather ignorant of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone thinks he shouldn't work or live privately if that's what he wants, but they just can't have it both ways. If Madeleine is to remain a working member of the Swedish Royal family and receive an allowance and bring their children up as Swedish princesses/princes, then the family should live in Sweden and he should attend the big events.

If they want to live privately in London, then they should be raising their kids as O'Neills and Madeleine should give up her allowance and only appear at the big royal events. But they should present a unified front, rather than Chris trying to live as a private citizen while his wife and children live as royalty.

I am not sure I agree. Chris is a private individual, and time permitting, carries out some engagements in support of his wife, or his wife's family. IMO, he can come and go as he pleases. He is usually present for the key "family" events, though rarely for the state events. This is probably the right mix. The press will eventually get used to it.

This. Since he is not receiving money from the King or the taxpayer, I see no reason why he has to attend every event and I even think he can pick and choose.

As for the fact that his children are titled, I strongly suspect that is something his wife and his father-in-law insisted upon. I think given a choice Chris would not have wanted titles for his children any more than he wanted one for himself.

I think he should be left alone. The resentment(and perhaps envy?) of this guy by the Swedish press because he refuses to kowtow to them is simply amazing.

I don't think anyone thinks he shouldn't work or live privately if that's what he wants, but they just can't have it both ways. If Madeleine is to remain a working member of the Swedish Royal family and receive an allowance and bring their children up as Swedish princesses/princes, then the family should live in Sweden and he should attend the big events.

If they want to live privately in London, then they should be raising their kids as O'Neills and Madeleine should give up her allowance and only appear at the big royal events. But they should present a unified front, rather than Chris trying to live as a private citizen while his wife and children live as royalty.

Madeleine is royal, Chris is not. Madeleine can (and should) keep up with regular engagements in Sweden, and live there a part of the time. Chris is a private individual, and did not accept a title, as he did not want to pursue a royal career. IMO, he is free to pursue his own commercial interests, and does not need to appear at state events. Clearly, he should, and does, attend key family events. I think it is important the distinction between the roles of Madeleine and Chris is understood. Once they are established in London, I am sure these things will become clearer and accepted by all.

As for the fact that his children are titled, I strongly suspect that is something his wife and his father-in-law insisted upon. I think given a choice Chris would not have wanted titles for his children any more than he wanted one for himself.

I think you're probably right about that and I think that's why it all strikes some people as problematic: he and Madeleine seem to want two totally different lives. I have no doubt that they love each other but what she wants for herself and her children and the kind of life he seems to want for himself and his family don't go together very well.

So people wondering how it will go long term, like myself, are wondering how they're going to reconcile that. Because it's probably not going to get any easier.

I don't think anyone thinks he shouldn't work or live privately if that's what he wants, but they just can't have it both ways.

Why can't they have it both ways. If the King is fine with the situation, who are we to object? Who made these rules that people can't live the way they want? We have no authority to tell someone how to run their country and their lives. Would it have been better for them to fall in love but not marry? She could have then turned into a Princess Margaret of UK, never really happy in personal life. If the king wants his grandchildren to have a title, then so be it, no matter who the father is or what he does for a living. It is not as if he and his family live on government hand-outs. He takes no money, she is a trust fund child. Know many. They are good people. People should be able to have it all ways as long as no laws are broken and no other people are physically harmed.

Why can't they have it both ways. If the King is fine with the situation, who are we to object? Who made these rules that people can't live the way they want? We have no authority to tell someone how to run their country and their lives. Would it have been better for them to fall in love but not marry? She could have then turned into a Princess Margaret of UK, never really happy in personal life. If the king wants his grandchildren to have a title, then so be it, no matter who the father is or what he does for a living. It is not as if he and his family live on government hand-outs. He takes no money, she is a trust fund child. Know many. They are good people. People should be able to have it all ways as long as no laws are broken and no other people are physically harmed.

If the people of Sweden have no objection, they can live how they'd like, but I think they're going to continue to generate a lot of negative press and be very unpopular because of it.

If the people of Sweden have no objection, they can live how they'd like, but I think they're going to continue to generate a lot of negative press and be very unpopular because of it
And that might very well be......but once again it is the media that stirs the pot to cause a bit of trouble [they have nothing better to do]. All media tries to tell people what they should think. Our American one is the worse. They tell us who to vote for and why. What shows are best, etc. Most have it 75% wrong and it shows. Our own fault for following like sheep. I would just once like to see a sitting monarch take a firm public stand for his family instead of being another king JC and let the media belittle his relative by marriage. Why are these men wimps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom