Madeleine and Chris: Media and Public Opinion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand the Swedish people being dissatisfied with Madeleine's performance, but in my - foreigner's - mind, I distinguish between Madeleine and Chris and apply different tests. That's largely because one is royal and one is not, but also because I don't think of married couples as a single unit and I don't expect them to always go to events together.

Chris is not Royal, and obviously made a conscious decision to retain that status. I think that therefore he is free to live his life as he chooses without giving any explanations - public explanations, anyway - for why he is or is not at a certain public event. I suspect that being able to avoid having to turn up at all these sorts of things when they are not vitally important was one of the reasons he elected to remain a private citizen.

Chris runs a business and one which I imagine is demanding and time-consuming. I imagine he wants to be able to spend his treasured leisure time doing things he wants to do, and if his wife's family has some family thing on that is not something so important that he can't not go to it - like CP's wedding - and he doesn't really want to go to, preferring to give priority to his own mother's birthday, or even sitting around home watching TV or listening to music, whatever he chooses, I fully understand him declining it. There are going to be lots of things in the "I can't get out of it" category in his life, so he asserts his right to control what he does in his free time when he can. Maybe they have a list on the wall marking events in the Swedish royal calendar with category codes, from "can't miss at any cost" to "only if you really want to".

I really don't see how Chris can be criticised for this. I've been the first to say he and Madeline are wrong when I've felt they have been in the past. This time however...
Chris had a choice, attend the reading of banns for his brother in law (whos wedding he will be attending anyway) in Sweden where he has moved to allow his wife to be with her family
or
leave Sweden (the country he lives in so his wife can be close to her family) to be with his mother to celebrate her birthday - which has been on the same date for decades should CP/Sofia or the Royal Court have been bothered enough to check.

If her birthday was Saturday why should he rush back to Sweden the same day or the next morning? Most likely there was a party possibly to have gone late into the evening and then the next day family time, a change to catch up (doesn't Chris have a large and widely spread family whom probably don't always get change to catch up).
No one can expect Chris to simply give up his own life and his own family because Madeleine is Royal. Her family's events may also be important state events but they are still just family events for one side of the family and in most modern successful relationships there has to be give and take between the demands of both families.

Well, why do they? What right do they have? Chris is a private citizen who does not owe Sweden anything at all.

The 4th best read article in my newspaper at the moment is an article about the censorship of breasts painted by Picasso in his 'Les femmes d'Alger' by the Amercian tv station FOX News. However I very much doubt that the content of the article is something that Dutch people care about passionately. News is entertainment. A gossipy article about Chris not attending CP's wedding banns... why on earth would anybody care except those whom it concerns?

If Chris' attendance was so important to the family or to the Swedish public, they might have considered to plan it on a different date than on his mothers birthday which has been on the same date for 73 years. TBH I would find my own mother more important than a newly acquired brother-in-laws pre-wedding registration.

Hurray! You have saved lazy MM23 from having to post a comment!:D

Didn't Madde skip Victoria and Daniel's Banns? That was more serious IMO than Chris missing with his Mother's Birthday the same weekend.

What a lot of pressure this couple have, moving countries, 2 babies in 2 years, press looking into their business and money problems and everything they do seems to be wrong. I really hope they are strong enough as a couple to be able withstand it all.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

This is not a royal problem. It is a family (and in-law) problem. If Madeleine and her family are okay with it (and I wonder if they are), then there's no problem.

Didn't Madde skip Victoria and Daniel's Banns? That was more serious IMO than Chris missing with his Mother's Birthday the same weekend.

Madeleine had moved to New York with a broken heart. She was so heart broken at she couldn't do a scheduled work event in Seattle on 7th-8th May, Victoria flew from Sweden to replace her sister although she was busy at the wedding preparations. Madeleine came to be at Victoria's hen party in 11th May but not to the banns. She got negative press and people were wondering why she didn't attend. "She needs time", said the director of the press department. And there was more negative press and wondering because she cancelled other work events like Alma-prize delivery, which the queen did. Lucky for Madeleine, later we have found out that she was then on a holiday at the time of Victoria's banns and met Chris.

As for Eva O'Neill's birthday, which was yesterday according to Expressen, like xenobia has said, Chris could very well have been there and also at the banns. We don't know if that is the reason why he is absent. But if it is, Chris and Madeleine were spending according to Expressen about a week in London with Eva O'Neill less than month ago, they flew to Vatican straight from London.
And like xenobia said, there will be photos from the banns, where Madeleine is alone. Not goot PR. Those photos are published many times at the articles of the royal family during the years to come.

Last edited:
Madeleine and Chris: Media Negativity and Public Opinion

I wonder if the press will now do a witch hunt for Chris, trying to find out where he was and when he comes back to Sweden.

Edit: actually he can't make an 11am church service if he needs to fly from London to Stockholm this morning. Maybe he will join for the reception?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
According to Expressen's live reporting, Chris will arrive to the church. We will see.

I'm so glad he changed his mind and showed up after all.

Hope he makes it hear their names being said then all will be right with the world or at least Sweden

Chris O'Neill makes a total reversal and will show up in the Castle Church today.
- Yes. That's right, says Margareta Thorgren.
How is it that this reversal has been made?
- It is sometimes uncertain until the last if the representatives of the family will attend or not, because they have so many commitments. In this case, it has always been a hope that Chris will be with.
How did his presence become possible?
- He has managed to get it together with the logistics.
According to the court decision was made "in days".
Chris vändning – kommer på lysningen _ Nyheter _ Expressen

What a lot of pressure this couple have, moving countries, 2 babies in 2 years, press looking into their business and money problems and everything they do seems to be wrong. I really hope they are strong enough as a couple to be able withstand it all.
I just don't understand the constant picking at Madeleine and Chris. Chris chose to remain a private citizen and receive no royal support. For a man in that position it is good, admirable even, yet it is treated as if he threw the "gift of becoming royal" back in the faces of the SRF and Sweden itself. His entire life has been dissected and allegations made about financial misconduct, tax problems, etc.

The King's sister receives no such heckling, why then should Madeleine? As to Chris being present at any given event, perhaps his name is often omitted from the official list as he is a private citizen, not a royal. His presence at the Vatican seems a no-brainer that his Mother-in-Law and wife would be able to give him a very special gift by allowing him to accompany them.

In the event, today he was at his wife's side at his brother-in-law's Wedding Banns. I am sure there will be much discussion as to why. He clearly hadn't planned on it and, since his wife did not attend her sister's Banns, perhaps he was misled into thinking they were no big deal rather than Madeleine being unable to cope with being in the public eye after the hurt and humiliation of her break-up with her fiance.

I am sure there will be endless speculation as to why he was there. He was "shamed into it", "the King gave him a flea in his ear", "the Queen was not amused and wept buckets", "Carl Philip threatened to punch his lights out", "Daniel, as a new member of the Bernadotte family, gave him a heads up that he was wrong in thinking that this was not a very big deal", Madeleine gave him an ultimatum. You name it, we'll see it all speculated.

I really feel for this couple. They have not even been married for two years and Chris has resigned from the job he previously held, Madeleine has had their first child and their second is due in a matter of weeks. In effect, she has been pregnant most of her marriage and for everyone else, pregnancy is a big free pass. They made a life in NY and now, having relocated to Sweden, have to make a new life together. I don't know about anyone else, but if I were either of them I would feel like I was living my life on a rollercoaster with all the privacy of a fishbowl!

But couldn't/shouldn't the PR department of the Swedish RF have forseen this situation (private person affiliated with the royal family) and better have anticipated in their way to handle this with regards to the press and public announcements?

I have a feeling that a lot of the media negativity and (negative or doubting) public opinion could have been prevented and/or handled by more accurate (or clearer) PR...

(just MO ofcourse)

:previous: It seems to me (personal opinion) that the Swedish Royal Family are abysmal at appointing functional PR personnel. Really, every time something new is on the horizon we should lay bets on just how badly the Palace PR department spokesperson will s****s it up. And they do, every time a coconut.

Everyone assumed Chris would be there, the PR department thought we should all know he had other plans. First mistake. Then they tried to spin the reasons that he wouldn't be there. Second huge mistake. In the end, Chris was able to attend and the PR spokesperson could not resist trying to explain something, anything. Third big mistake trying to explain how they got one and two wrong and, in so doing, create the third big mistake. Now if they had just kept their mouths shut and held to "We don't comment on private citizens", there would not have been enough discussion to have felled a small forest had someone printed it all out.

There is an old saying worth remembering: It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Someone should paint it on the wall of every office in the PR department and carve it on the desk of the PR spokesperson. It should be their very own personal motto.

Whoever is in charge of hiring should be first out the door. :bang:

I agree that the PR is really bad, at this point. But I sense that Chris hoped to skip this event, and after another dose of negativy he gave up and showed up. JMO

Well, Chris is told to be wise and bright and a good businessman. A normal person with common sense would have understood oneself that staying away of this kind of event would not be good PR, and the press and royal experts would find it odd. One doesn't need court PR department for that.

So are we suggesting that before Chris schedules his business meetings, he needs to coordinate with the Swedish Royal Calendar:ermm: I would imagine that a majority of royal events are scheduled months in advance. Most business meeting [with the exception of big conferences] are not. So is Chris expected to cancel business meetings because of a potential conflict.

Considering that Chris is Catholic, and the Pope is the Head of the Catholic Church...I would imagine he want to be present when HIS daughter is presented to the Pope.

And again, we don't know if he was not present at the private family event to celebrate his father's birthday so I don't think its a fair commet to say that the King's birthday was not important enough for him to attend. Unless you know something we are not privy to.

I am sorry but I think some people [not you per se] are nitpicking and expecting a lot from someone who is not on the Swedish payroll. While I can certainly under the importance of attending events for his brother in law...it's his mother's birthday. HIS MOTHER. As someone pointed out, why did they schedule around his mother's birthday. Maybe someone neede to put the important dates that relates to Daniel, Chris and Sofia's families on the big Swedish Royal calendar, so that the SRF does not schedule events that conflict with their family members:ohmy:

There are legtimate reasons to question Madeline's work ethic as she is a member of the SRF and does receive some financial support. I wonder if Chris get's picked on because of his ambigous position. As a private citizen IMO he doesn't really owe any one an explanation for his presence or lack of presence at certain events.

He does,he owes it to the family he married into!He knew that before,and should act accordingly!No excuses,it is as it is.He should have thought about that before if he's such a smart alec...which he obviously isn't.Staying away at various events...or have that announced...in regard to celebrations of ones brother-in-law is lame,just lame...But thank goodnees,little Chris found ample time to show up in church today and at least pretent all is well in the family...No need to say I never ruled him fit to marry into the Bernadotte Family nor any other for that matter...Nor would I have ever thought Madde to be a Princess if I didn't know better...Oh well..life is full of surprises isn't it.

Chris is just as fit-if not more so-than any of the other commoner spouses in recent years. He has the benefit of a first rate, upper class education at the best institutions in Europe and the U.S. His familys' social connections are absolutely impeccable. He is wealthy, cosmopolitan, multi-lingual...and best of all does not have a background that needs to be cleaned up or obliterated by Palace PR flunkies.

I struggle to comprehend how a person like that is less fit to marry into the Bernadotte family than Daniel Westling or Sofia Hellqvist.

Last edited:
There's a big article in Aftonbladet about Chris. In short, it says that Chris changed his mind about attending because it was "the wish of the royal family" that made him show up at the last minute. (I'd say that royal family in this case means the king). The article also makes a list over some of the family events that Chris hasn't attended during the last years.

The court doesn't want (or can't?) comment on Chris' scheule during the last week. It is mentioned that it was his mothers birthday yesterday, but he wasn't in London - several people has seen him in Stockholm during the weekend.

I just want to add that I hope that Chris and Madeleine will hire someone to help them with their PR. It doesn't have to be an official arrangement, but they need help. And they need it now.

Hovet: Därför ändrade sig Chris O'Neill | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

It's also part of a pattern where Chris seems to show up when it suits him, not when he could be expected to do so.

Of course, he turned down a title, so he really doesn't have to do anything at all. Period. He does not have to please anyone besides his wife. That's it.

Jeez with PR people like the Royals have who needs enemies lol!
Seriously though, if there was a possibility of Chris attending the Court shouldn't have said he wasn't as surely a simpleton can see that if he does then turn up its a huge media story!
Yet again another PR disaster mainly brought about by the Court's own PR team. Seriously hope the couple decide to either leave the Court behind or get their own PR person.

How incompetent can one be!! First they comment that Chris is unable to attend due to prior commitments. Then the press asks questions. Obviously the King puts the foot down and Chris shows up last minute.

Other than than, I fully agree with lucien :flowers:
He does,he owes it to the family he married into!He knew that before,and should act accordingly!No excuses,it is as it is.He should have thought about that before if he's such a smart alec...which he obviously isn't.Staying away at various events...or have that announced...in regard to celebrations of ones brother-in-law is lame,just lame...But thank goodnees,little Chris found ample time to show up in church today and at least pretent all is well in the family...

Is there a reason people don't think Victoria and Daniel =will have any more children? Estelle is only 3. That's not a long time to wait before another pregnancy. Many people wait even longer. Was the first pregnancy difficult?

It's honestly just a feeling I have, based in part on Leonore getting the HRH. Also, Daniel has health issues and that might give them a pause or two.

It's honestly just a feeling I have, based in part on Leonore getting the HRH. Also, Daniel has health issues and that might give them a pause or two.

It's a feeling shared by many Swedes.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

There's a big article in Aftonbladet about Chris. In short, it says that Chris changed his mind about attending because it was "the wish of the royal family" that made him show up at the last minute. (I'd say that royal family in this case means the king). The article also makes a list over some of the family events that Chris hasn't attended during the last years.

The court doesn't want (or can't?) comment on Chris' scheule during the last week. It is mentioned that it was his mothers birthday yesterday, but he wasn't in London - several people has seen him in Stockholm during the weekend.

I just want to add that I hope that Chris and Madeleine will hire someone to help them with their PR. It doesn't have to be an official arrangement, but they need help. And they need it now.

Yay, I called it! It was a flea in the ear from the King and the Queen wept buckets! :whistling:

Jeez with PR people like the Royals have who needs enemies lol!
Seriously though, if there was a possibility of Chris attending the Court shouldn't have said he wasn't as surely a simpleton can see that if he does then turn up its a huge media story!
Yet again another PR disaster mainly brought about by the Court's own PR team. Seriously hope the couple decide to either leave the Court behind or get their own PR person.
Who needs enemes indeed! The court PR department are a joke and they act like an episode of the Keystone Cops!

As a private citizen (or is he designated an alien?) there is no necessity to hand his business diary to the Palace to ensure he is present for anything and everything that might, just might, be a special event.

That Madeleine never flew home for her sister's Banns sent entirely the wrong message. Chris is a British/American businessman who has no such tradition from his Roman Catholic upbringing.

His world has been that of high society and business, neither of which could have prepared him for the reality that is The Swedish Royal Family. He has been married for less than two years so, is it not time that someone gave him a break?

He does,he owes it to the family he married into! He knew that before,and should act accordingly! No excuses, it is as it is. He should have thought about that before if he's such a smart alec...which he obviously isn't. Staying away at various events...or have that announced...in regard to celebrations of ones brother-in-law is lame,just lame...But thank goodnees,little Chris found ample time to show up in church today and at least pretent all is well in the family...No need to say I never ruled him fit to marry into the Bernadotte Family nor any other for that matter...Nor would I have ever thought Madde to be a Princess if I didn't know better...Oh well..life is full of surprises isn't it.

Ouch! :ermm:

Chris is just as fit-if not more so-than any of the other commoner spouses in recent years. He has the benefit of a first rate, upper class education at the best institutions in Europe and the U.S. His familys' social connections are absolutely impeccable. He is wealthy, cosmopolitan, multi-lingual...and best of all does not have a background that needs to be cleaned up or obliterated by Palace PR flunkies.

I struggle to comprehend how a person like that is less fit to marry into the Bernadotte family than Daniel Westling or Sofia Hellqvist.

Here, here! :flowers:

Let's hope that Hänt Extra or Hänt i Veckan doesn't have photos of him in Stockholm on Saturday on their next issue. Probably some informants called to the royal reporters on Saturday that Chris is seen in Stockholm, the reporters called Margareta Thorgren, Thorgren told the king and the king ordered Chris to attend on Sunday.

I don't know that Chris is the sort of man that would enjoy being bossed about by anyone king or not. Hope they don't push him too far.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Let's hope that Hänt Extra or Hänt i Veckan doesn't have photos of him in Stockholm on Saturday on their next issue. Probably some informants called to the royal reporters on Saturday that Chris is seen in Stockholm, the reporters called Margareta Thorgren, Thorgren told the king and the king ordered Chris to attend on Sunday.

This is fact? The plot thickens. ;) Chris may not be keen on the newlyweds. Uh-oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom