Madeleine and Chris: Media and Public Opinion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maby happen something between chris and Madeleine or with someone else of the family and we don't know?

Chris won't join the rest of the family for CP and Sofias wedding banns tomorrow. He has "other commitments". To put it short and not so sweet: I'm getting really tired of his behavior.

Chris O'Neill nobbar prinsparets lysning | Nyheter | Expressen

And the court isn't helping them at all. First Margareta Thorgren says to Expressen that Chris will not attend and then to Aftonbladet "Of course, everything can change, but as it is now, he has other commitments and is unable to be with, says Margareta Thorgren."
Chris O'Neill missar prinsparets lysning _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

If the reason is that he wants to attend at his mother's birthday, I understand that. But aren't there coming evening/morning flights from London to Stockholm?

If the reason is that he wants to attend at his mother's birthday, I understand that. But aren't there coming evening/morning flights from London to Stockholm?

There are lots and lots of flights between London and Stockholm, so he could do both. And his mothers birthday (if that's the reason) is something he must have known about when the date for the marriage banns was discussed in the family.

There are lots and lots of flights between London and Stockholm, so he could do both. And his mothers birthday (if that's the reason) is something he must have known about when the date for the marriage banns was discussed in the family.

Yes, but there weren't many Sundays for the royal family to choose. 24th May wouldn't have been a good choice because queen Silvia attends at the traditional Childhood Day. And 31st May is the Mother's Day in Sweden (Victoria's banns were on Mother's Day, though). And 7th June is too close to the wedding.

Last edited:
Yes, but there weren't many Sundays for the royal family to choose. 24th May wouldn't have been a good choice because queen Silvia attends at the traditional Childhood Day. And 31st May is the Mother's Day in Sweden (Victoria's banns were on Mother's Day, though). And 7th June is too close to the wedding.

That's true, but I meant that Chris knew about both events early on, so he could have made travel arrangements to be there for both events. His mothers birthday is today. He could have taken the last flight to Stockholm tonight or the first one tomorrow morning, and attended both.

But, in the broader scheme of things, does it really matter if Chris is there for this formal announcement? It seems fairly trivial to me.

I agree who cares...why does it make any difference. Not like he's skipping the wedding.

LaRae

But, in the broader scheme of things, does it really matter if Chris is there for this formal announcement? It seems fairly trivial to me.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe it's just like everyone else's marriage.
The old family tug of war. "We are always doing stuff with your family my family's important too " how many homes is this being said in. Just cause one person is royal doesn't mean that they can't share their time between families. He might want to see his mother.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It is an important and traditional family event. And traditionally the whole family attends. At the reception take part the prime minister, speaker of the Parliament, governor of Värmland county, representatives of the diplomatic corps etc.

Last edited:
Maybe it's in itself a small thing, but as this is the "media negativity" thread and it's not the first small occasion where he didn't show, it's a discussion waiting to happen and it will just be added again and again if he continues to skip these occasions in the future..

We don't really know what's behind it; maybe the family discussed it and told Chris to go to his mothers birthday and don't worry about the banns, maybe it's a special birthday for his mother in some way etc. etc. all possibilities, but we can just react to the facts and the facts seem to be that he has a habit of skipping occasions that we, the general public, would have guessed that he'd attend

It is just a tiny little ceremony to inform to the parish of an impending marriage between two persons. No more, no less.

As the whole world already knows that Prince Carl Philip intends to marry Ms Sofia Hellqvist, all this is pretty trivial. If I was outside Sweden, I would not return either especially for this. It is not like he stays away from the wedding, or so....

Give Mr O'Neill a break...

It is just a tiny little ceremony to inform to the parish of an impending marriage between two persons. No more, no less.

As the whole world already knows that Prince Carl Philip intends to marry Ms Sofia Hellqvist, all this is pretty trivial. If I was outside Sweden, I would not return either especially for this. It is not like he stays away from the wedding, or so....

Give Mr O'Neill a break...

If you and Chris wouldn't bother, it just shows that you don't know the importance of the traditional ceremony of wedding banns here in Sweden.

It's also part of a pattern where Chris seems to show up when it suits him, not when he could be expected to do so. He's really not making it easy for us in Sweden to like him.

(responding to DeP's post)
Well, a little more than a tiny ceremony as there is also a reception for invited guests afterwards.

LadyFinn stated that for the Swedish Royal Family it's usually an important ceremony and she is very knowledgeable about this family so it wouldn't have been all that strange if mr. O'Neill had attended it.

We don't know that he just 'shows up when it suits him'. I am quite sure this was discussed within the family. If they aren't concerned with him not being there then neither should anyone else.

LaRae

We don't know that he just 'shows up when it suits him'. I am quite sure this was discussed within the family. If they aren't concerned with him not being there then neither should anyone else.

LaRae

The topic of this thread is "Media negativity and public opinion". I'm talking about how his behavior is reflected in media, and what that does to the public opinion about him. And trust me when I say that he really isn't doing himself any favors in this department.

Could it be that maybe his mother is feeling uwell? Maybe there are other reasons behind this choice..

Could it be that maybe his mother is feeling uwell? Maybe there are other reasons behind this choice..

The court updated the banns to the calendar on 5th May, and Chris wasn't listed to attend then. So he knew already then that he will not attend. He may have a good reason not to attend, we don't know that. But since the reason isn't told, his behaviour is reflected negatively at the media. People also register that his wife is heavily pregnant and goes to these events without her husband.

I don't know guys he miss the banns he miss the birthday of the King something happens :whistling:

The topic of this thread is "Media negativity and public opinion". I'm talking about how his behavior is reflected in media, and what that does to the public opinion about him. And trust me when I say that he really isn't doing himself any favors in this department.

I was unaware the Swedish public was upset about this? The media just tries to create a story...that doesn't mean it reflects reality.

LaRae

The court updated the banns to the calendar on 5th May, and Chris wasn't listed to attend then. So he knew already then that he will not attend. He may have a good reason not to attend, we don't know that. But since the reason isn't told, his behaviour is reflected negatively at the media. People also register that his wife is heavily pregnant and goes to these events without her husband.

Ah, thank you. I can only assume that Chris chose his mother over the banns party... Can't blame him... :whistling:

Was he being critisized by the media for not attending? He was not scheduled at all to attend and his mother's birthday was today and he might want to spend a longer time with his mum and sisters before the baby is born, so I see no problem with him not attending the Banns. So is the public so narrow-minded that he has to hurry back to Stockholm. Does anyone in Sweden ever feel bad for him when his brother-in-law, CP, announced his engagement on his 40th birthday,June 27? CP chose that date out of 365 days to get engaged, so did he ever think and care for brother-in-law and baby sis.

I don't think Chris is being petty or immature, but I think he must have told his wife and her family about his absence.

Btw, he is scheduled to attend the National Day and The Wedding next month. I wanted to applaud the RF for being open minded and big hearted for allowing him to join the Queen and Madde on the visit to the Pope in Vatican.

Last edited:
Was he being critisized by the media for not attending? He was not scheduled at all to attend and his mother's birthday was today and he might want to spend a longer time with his mum and sisters before the baby is born, so I see no problem with him not attending the Banns. So is the public so narrow-minded that he has to hurry back to Stockholm. Does anyone in Sweden ever feel bad for him when his brother-in-law, CP, announced his engagement on his 40th birthday,June 27? CP chose that date out of 365 days to get engaged, so did he ever think and care for brother-in-law and baby sis.

I don't think Chris is being petty or immature, but I think he must have told his wife and her family about his absence.

Exactly! Many posters dismissed that because they didn't consider Chris birthday as an important date! You know, he was a private person and many assumed he couldn't care less...:bang::whistling:

It is all just a media frenzy. I am sure the average Swede in Gävle, Örnsköldsvik or Tröllhattan couldn't care less or does not even know that there are wedding banns published tomorrow and that the British husband of a sister to the future groom is missing...

:whistling:

It is all just a media frenzy. I am sure the average Swede in Gävle, Örnsköldsvik or Tröllhattan couldn't care less or does not even know that there are wedding banns published tomorrow and that the British husband of a sister to the future groom is missing...

:whistling:

Did you ask the average Swede in Gävle, Örnsköldsvik or Tröllhattan? If not, how can you be sure;)

:flowers:

Last edited:
Feel free to think that it's just nothing and that people in Sweden don't care. I think you're very wrong. The future will tell.

And just as an indication: the article about Chris not attending the banns tomorrow is currently the fourth most read article today over at Expressen. But you're right, people don't care.... or perhaps they do?

He is the the husband of the King daughter is naturally the people care.

Well, why do they? What right do they have? Chris is a private citizen who does not owe Sweden anything at all.

The 4th best read article in my newspaper at the moment is an article about the censorship of breasts painted by Picasso in his 'Les femmes d'Alger' by the Amercian tv station FOX News. However I very much doubt that the content of the article is something that Dutch people care about passionately. News is entertainment. A gossipy article about Chris not attending CP's wedding banns... why on earth would anybody care except those whom it concerns?

If Chris' attendance was so important to the family or to the Swedish public, they might have considered to plan it on a different date than on his mothers birthday which has been on the same date for 73 years. TBH I would find my own mother more important than a newly acquired brother-in-laws pre-wedding registration.

Last edited:
Well, why do they? What right do they have? Chris is a private citizen who does not owe Sweden anything at all.

The 4th best read article in my newspaper at the moment is an article about American cencorship of breasts painted by Picasso. I very much doubt however that the content of the article is something that Dutch people care about passionately. News is entertainment. A gossipy article about Chris not attending CP's wedding banns... why on earth would anybody care except those whom it concerns?

TBH if Chris' attendance was so important to the family or to the Swedish public, they might have considered to plan it on a different date than on his mothers birthday which has been on the same date for 73 years. TBH I would find my own mother more important than a newly acquired brother-in-laws pre-wedding registration.
This. They are very good at picking dates that coincide with Chris personal life, don't they?;)

I agree with those who think that Chris picks and choses and that people do care.

Chris opted to remain a private person so he would not do work as a member of the SRF, yet sometimes he does, high profile, and he is even absent where people absolutely expect him, at important family events, like his FIL's birthday or these marriage banns. My family would expect me to attend, and I am not royal. The pictures taken there will be out in the press, with one notable absentee.

He may have something important to do, I don't think his mother's birthday is an excuse since its not on the same day. Of course we can not judge why he's busy, since he doesnt have a regular job like, say, a doctor who has to do his shift and people understand easily. Chris is self employed and could schedule his meetings in a way that they don't interfere with important events. A heavily pregnant wife on her own makes never a good picture so people will ask why he had to be absent and what his priorities are.

Unless there is a clear message about what can be expected from Chris and he fulfils these expectations, I think there will be negativity.

If Chris' attendance was so important to the family or to the Swedish public, they might have considered to plan it on a different date than on his mothers birthday which has been on the same date for 73 years. TBH I would find my own mother more important than a newly acquired brother-in-laws pre-wedding registration.

According to the Expressen, Eva O'Neill's birthday is today. So if Chris is there, he could have easily managed to get to Stockholm so that he would have attended at the church service on Sunday at 11.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom