Madeleine and Chris: Media and Public Opinion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, on that we agree then, Duke. As I mentioned earlier I think it is a healthy kind of risk managment to limit the group of royals to the core ones only, namely the king, queen, their children and the children of the eldest child. IMHO it would have been better if the children of both CP as Madeleine would be HH Prince(ss) Bernadotte. Belgium will be stuck with 50 princes and princesses of Belgium in the next generation under the present laws. But that is a whole other discussion I suppose.

I never said or thought that you did. I apologise if my post gave the wrong impression :flowers:.

:flowers::flowers:

My point was that we do not know why the king decided to make his grand daughter an HRH but there are a lot of possibilities, not necessarily selfish ones.

I agree with you. But I see it as a burden for everyone at this stage and later, what if Victoria has more kids or the family will move away from Sweden because life doesnt work out there, will Leonore give up her title or will it be taken from her? I find it unfair on her to expect her to work for Sweden as a fill-in in circumstances ask for it. I see this whole family caught between a rock and a hard place.

I think the press could ask how she maintains herself. I am sure CP does, since she does mostly charity work. They could dig up more about her charity project. We dont know how much she works. It's all very vague. A lot of people I know share the same questions. But they just question Chris' position.
As Duc_et_pair said Chris studied, built up his career, he might have enjoyed more opportunities, but still he worked.

My point the very same questions they ask C&M, they could ask CP&S.

Yes, but at the moment Leonore is the spare. The best compromise would be living in London and doing a llittle more.
I agree that the same questions could be asked. My point was only why in Sweden, having a "bad" past isn't as ugly (especially such a non-violent and hateful thing like in her youth being nude..) as many other cultures might think.

Swedish media seems to be too harsh on Madeleine.

Ah, on that we agree then, Duke. As I mentioned earlier I think it is a healthy kind of risk managment to limit the group of royals to the core ones only, namely the king, queen, their children and the children of the eldest child. IMHO it would have been better if the children of both CP as Madeleine would be HH Prince(ss) Bernadotte. Belgium will be stuck with 50 princes and princesses of Belgium in the next generation under the present laws. But that is a whole other discussion I suppose.

:flowers:.
But unlike the belgian King the swedish King can not create new noble titles. He can only decide about the title of the mbers of the royal Family. But i think they should have followed the example from Norway. That Madeleine's children get the surname of ther father but are in line of succession. If nneded they could stuill be created Prince/Princess later.

But unlike the belgian King the swedish King can not create new noble titles. He can only decide about the title of the mbers of the royal Family. But i think they should have followed the example from Norway. That Madeleine's children get the surname of ther father but are in line of succession. If nneded they could stuill be created Prince/Princess later.

I agree in principle, but looking at the RF of Sweden specifically, with Estelle and Leonore the only ones in their generation, it makes sense IMO to give Leonore the title of Princess of Sweden. :flowers:

I agree in principle, but looking at the RF of Sweden specifically, with Estelle and Leonore the only ones in their generation, it makes sense IMO to give Leonore the title of Princess of Sweden. :flowers:
You never know how much children CArl Philip will have and if and how many Victoria will have. In Norway when Maud Angelica was born she was the first grandchild of King Harald.

Being a Princess is no free ticket for paperazzi to infringe her right on a private lifesphere. The Princess of Hannover -and in her slipstream- the Dutch and Swedish Royal Houses have already won lawsuits about this.

I understand that some on the forum see a being Princess as "a career" but that is nonsense. Madeleine was born a Princess and will die as a Princess. It is absurd to nag about the costs of Rolex watches. Mr O'Neill and Princess Madeleine are well-to-do persons and when they like to buy a premium watch, they have every right to do so. It is their money.
I agree, the press have no right to be ferreting through every aspect of Chris's life . . . they've pretty well covered everything there is to know about Madeleine. And I am sorry for it.

The amount of media pressure being brought to bear on them is crushing and has crossed the line into downright harassment. I have my own feelings about Madeleine and her work eithic, but that does not give me the right to savage her online, so to with the media.

Rolex watches? What is the big deal about them? As Duc said, they are able to afford them so why not. It is none of our business if they have a different watch for every day of the week.

As to Lenore becoming HRH Princess Lenore of Sweden? As has been pointed out several times, as things stand, she and Princess Estelle are the only two of their generation and noone knows the future, nor can they rely on plans. King CG himself is living testament to that.

Article by Aftobladet journalist Kadhammar:
''Kadhammar: stop complaining about Madeleine
On Wednesday night Princess Madeleine attended the King's large state dinner. It was one of the Princess's appearances. Hope the food was good and the conversation pleasant.
If she talked.
Madeleine is the silent Princess. In one year she has answered seven questions from journalists and responses have not been trivial, they have been beyond the bland and emptied the meager language on all content. Merry Christmas. It feels amazing. Yes, Yes.
For this, she has been criticized.
The criticism is based on the mistaken assumption that we want to hear the Princess talk. There is no reason to believe that Madeleine has something to say. If she had, she would well let us know it by articulating a few words, communicate their observations, formulate thoughts.
Her father is forced to occasionally speak. It goes no further. He has obvious difficulty in expressing himself coherently and clearly, and most of those who listen to him feel sorry for Carl Gustaf. It must be torture to have difficulties dealing with the Swedish and on top of that he is expected to give general feedback on the other nice things and bland policies, forestry, business – everything! – words which, according to the basic law should not tip but still is expected to be worth listening to.
More rigid languages the King would fail.
Madeleine has taken consistency out of an impossible situation. She has reduced the language to a minimalist work of art which is more sound than letters placed together in a specific order to convey a message. She smiles and waves and says, Merry Christmas. It feels amazing. Yes, Yes.
It's no wonder. Just as the modern monarchy is expected to work, this is the only way it can work.
So stop complaining. We have the Government we elected to deal with.''
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/kolumnister/peterkadhammar/article20302997.ab

You never know how much children CArl Philip will have and if and how many Victoria will have. In Norway when Maud Angelica was born she was the first grandchild of King Harald.

Yes, you never know how much children CArl Philip will have and if and how many Victoria will have. In both cases it can be zero children.

I agree that the same questions could be asked. My point was only why in Sweden, having a "bad" past isn't as ugly (especially such a non-violent and hateful thing like in her youth being nude..) as many other cultures might think.

I didnt want to accuse you, sorry if it came out this way. I just meant that we know almost everything about M&C, nothing about CP&S that will work both for Sweden.

Thanks for the article. In a way I agree.

The gossip press attacks again, I saw an article "Ten photos where Chris looks like he is having a hangover".
And Stoppa pressarna quotes article in Hänt i Veckan, that some weeks ago Madeleine and Chris were arguing at the restaurant AG.
An eyewitness tells that Chris watched many times Madeleine with "strained eyes". Madeleine didn't sit next to Chris, and didn't smile during the whole evening.
- Chris gestured wildly with his hands. He looked really upset. The atmosphere was a little strange as they sat in the middle of the room and everyone could see and hear them.
Chris ilskeattack mot Madeleine på innekrog i Stockholm Stoppa Pressarna
The cover of Hänt i Veckan
http://www.allerbutiken.se/Global/Covers/SOH.jpg

It is sad, that many people read these gossip magazines, and believe them. Of course, if the press continues like this, Madeleine could get the people's sympathy. And there aren't any negative articles about Carl Philip and Sofia, and the articles about Victoria and Daniel are normally guessing if Victoria is pregnant again.

If Madeleine would have given a short interview in Gävle, she would have done a lot of good. Many people are waiting in a positive feeling the visit "oh my, she is really coming to our town and she will visit the company x". Madeleine could have given some positive comments about Gävle, by saying that it has been nice to see how the town has changed and that it was such an interesting visit to Esri and she learned a lot of new things. And meeting the children at the activity center was a memorable event. The local media would have got their interview, they would have had something to publish which Madeleine had said just to them. And everyone would have been happy. The local media wants to make their own news, they don't want to quote what a royal has said to Expressen or to some news agency in Stockholm.

Last edited:
Yes, you never know how much children CArl Philip will have and if and how many Victoria will have. In both cases it can be zero children.
If that would be the caseLeonorecould still be created a Princess.
In Spain the children of Elena and Cristina did not get titles but Felipe was not marred at that time. The same in the UK When Anne's children whre born none of her borhters was married and had children.

The gossip press attacks again, I saw an article "Ten photos where Chris looks like he is having a hangover".
And Stoppa pressarna quotes article in Hänt i Veckan, that some weeks ago Madeleine and Chris were arguing at the restaurant AG.
An eyewitness tells that Chris watched many times Madeleine with "strained eyes". Madeleine didn't sit next to Chris, and didn't smile during the whole evening.
- Chris gestured wildly with his hands. He looked really upset. The atmosphere was a little strange as they sat in the middle of the room and everyone could see and hear them.

It is sad, that many people read these gossip magazines, and believe them. Of course, if the press continues like this, Madeleine could get the people's sympathy. And there aren't any negative articles about Carl Philip and Sofia, and the articles about Victoria and Daniel are normally guessing if Victoria is pregnant again.

So no photographic evidence right? Just like the last alleged public fight.....it's going to be difficult for these magazines to render themselves credible without any kind of evidence....photos, videos, recordings etc for ex like the video the Spanish tourist took of the 2 in new York ....they could get sympathy points just like you said if theyre not true, they could be false and the public believes them or they could be true....people have arguments it's nothing unheard of.....but to continuously portray him as a drunk with no basis....it's not nice nor fair, since he isn't being funded by the state nor does he have any obligations towards the kingdom

Last edited:
So no photographic evidence right? Just like the last alleged public fight.....it's going to be difficult for these magazines to render themselves credible without any kind of evidence....photos, videos, recordings etc for ex like the video the Spanish tourist took of the 2 in new York ....they could get sympathy points just like you said if theyre not true, they could be false and the public believes them or they could be true....people have arguments it's nothing unheard of
Haha, Hänt Extra has no want to render itself credible. People read it anyway. But it is purely a gossip magazine!

Haha, Hänt Extra has no want to render itself credible. People read it anyway. But it is purely a gossip magazine!

Yes, it is a gossip magazine. But people read it, many believe at least a part of it's articles and people see the cover when they go shopping on a market. If there are negative stories on the cover of gossip magazines every week, it isn't a good thing. In fact, it isn't a good thing that the royals are written every week at the gossip magazines, even though it would be a positive news.

Yes, it is a gossip magazine. But people read it, many believe at least a part of it's articles and people see the cover when they go shopping on a market. If there are negative stories on the cover of gossip magazines every week, it isn't a good thing. In fact, it isn't a good thing that the royals are written every week at the gossip magazines, even though it would be a positive news.
I agree... Even I flip through it in the dentist's office. Annoys me to bits, but either way you wonder which of the stories might be true,...

I don't know enough about this RF to comment but I hope everyone gives them time and space to settle in and have their baby without any stress or upsets

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

In Spain the children of Elena and Cristina did not get titles but Felipe was not marred at that time. The same in the UK When Anne's children whre born none of her borhters was married and had children.

There is a little difference in the British case: it seems Captain Mark Phillips denied an offered peerage. So that was his own choice.

Elena/Cristina's children hold no titles but they are styled 'His/ Her Excellency Don/Doña ' and are Grandes de España,slightly different to the children of the Princess Royal.

If Madeleine and Chris are indeed having marital problems as the article implies, why would they have another child together ?

Having said that, I am not very optimistic about the long-term prospects of their marriage, not least because of the strain that the press is putting on it. Let's hope I'm wrong !

In the UK, only grandchildren of the monarch in male line (i.e. children of one of the monarch's sons) are given princely titles. That is why Anne's children are untitled, but Andrew's daughters are princesses. Applying the same rule, Edward's children should be HRHs too, but were styled instead and are referred to in court circulars as children of an earl in the peerage of the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
The King's Aunts (Desirée and Cristina )Husbands and Children are untitled.
There will be to much RHH in Sweden this year 2 more Sofia and Madeine second Child.

Madeleine and Jonas and had to wait I think Princess Victoria's Official Annoncement.

Their Engagment failed , Madeleine went to NY and met Chris.

Very quickly they annonced their Engagement....they married , had to quickly their first Child and now Problems before the birth of their second Child.

Never had a good Opinion about Madeleine , Cris and his Family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Urgh. So, is it something so dreadful if her first engagement failed and she got a familiy quickly afterwards? i don't understand this.

IMHO it would have been better if the children of both CP as Madeleine would be HH Prince(ss) Bernadotte.

But unlike the belgian King the swedish King can not create new noble titles. He can only decide about the title of the mbers of the royal Family.

Prince(ss) NN Bernadotte is possible, and there is a precedent. The style of Highness is, I believe, unprecedented in Sweden.

Andrew's daughters are princesses.

In addition, the children of Prince Joachim of Denmark, Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent of Belgium, Prince Félix and Prince Louis of Luxembourg, and Princes Max, Constantin, Philipp, and Nikolaus of Liechtenstein - some of whom were born after the heir to the throne had children - have royal titles.

Elena/Cristina's children hold no titles but they are styled 'His/ Her Excellency Don/Doña ' and are Grandes de España,slightly different to the children of the Princess Royal.

That is right:

Su Exelencia Don Felipe de Marichalar y Borbón, Grande de España, Caballero Divisero Hijodalgo del Ilustre Solar de Tejada

Su Excelencia Doña Victoria de Marichalar y Borbón, Grande de España

:flowers:

That I find strange. :ermm: Stranger than strange. Of course, it may be a 'honeymoon period'? The gossip mags will wait until after the wedding to plague them? Might be off-topic because not directly about Chris and Madeleine, but observation still holds.

I also agree about the lack of real evidence about these fights. Strange, too, that no one is spilling the beans about what they are suppose to be fighting about.

BTW I don't recall this kind of press before they decided to leave NYC. Has this always been so? Has Chris been the object of such negative press right along?

Urgh. So, is it something so dreadful if her first engagement failed and she got a familiy quickly afterwards? i don't understand this.

I agree. It wasnt' even that quick. They dated two years and before announcing their engagement, they have lived together for a year. Imo, you could see if something is working or not, especially if you are are around you thirties.

It's hard to say if they are having problems or not. They could have a stormy relationship, but good for them. Or their fights are just overblown. Or they have issues. One thing is sure, they are adjusting to many things, so it's not that easy.
But Madeleine seems happy in her appearences.

BTW I don't recall this kind of press before they decided to leave NYC. Has this always been so? Has Chris been the object of such negative press right along?
Not so strong, but it was there. Around the wedding they made a fuss about something like the Cayman island that is common in finance. They have never liked him.

Last edited:
I agree. It wasnt' even that quick. They dated two years and before announcing their engagement, they have lived together for a year. Imo, you could see if something is working or not, especially if you are are around you thirties.

It's hard to say if they are having problems or not. They could have a stormy relationship, but good for them. Or their fights are just overblown. Or they have issues. One thing is sure, they are adjusting to many things, so it's not that easy.

But Madeleine seems happy in her appearences.

She is pregnant. :flowers: Not always the most even-keeled time.

I agree, too, about having a stormy relationship! ;) Good for them (if that's the case!)

Chris was at first seen as a playboy in some articles. And the press, even financial press in Sweden, wrote negative articles about him when it was found out that he worked in a hedge fund, and had connections to Cayman Islands.
Just before the wedding Madeleine was caught of driving at the bus lane and there were big headlines.
After the wedding Chris and Madeleine were angry that their honeymoon photos were published. And the media was angry to them because they didn't give any interviews before the wedding and Madeleine published photos from their honeymoon at her Facebook, even though they claimed that they wanted to be private.

There has also been columns about Madeleine during the years, here is one after Leonore was born:
"Or her wedding which was garnished by young folk musicians from Hälsingland, whom she did not condescend to give a glance."
En sagolik hertiginna - helahalsingland.se

Where do these kind of opinions come? Does a columnist at a newspaper lie? I read this column last year and it has been in my mind ever since.

Last edited:
I am glad Mrs Eva Maria Walter did not receive a Swedish Royal Decoration as Mr and Mrs Westling and the Family Sommerlath!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom