The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The gossip press attacks again, I saw an article "Ten photos where Chris looks like he is having a hangover".
And Stoppa pressarna quotes article in Hänt i Veckan, that some weeks ago Madeleine and Chris were arguing at the restaurant AG.
An eyewitness tells that Chris watched many times Madeleine with "strained eyes". Madeleine didn't sit next to Chris, and didn't smile during the whole evening.
- Chris gestured wildly with his hands. He looked really upset. The atmosphere was a little strange as they sat in the middle of the room and everyone could see and hear them.
Chris ilskeattack mot Madeleine på innekrog i Stockholm Stoppa Pressarna
The cover of Hänt i Veckan
http://www.allerbutiken.se/Global/Covers/SOH.jpg
If Madeleine and Chris are indeed having marital problems as the article implies, why would they have another child together ?

Having said that, I am not very optimistic about the long-term prospects of their marriage, not least because of the strain that the press is putting on it. Let's hope I'm wrong !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
If that would be the caseLeonorecould still be created a Princess.
In Spain the children of Elena and Cristina did not get titles but Felipe was not marred at that time. The same in the UK When Anne's children whre born none of her borhters was married and had children.
In the UK, only grandchildren of the monarch in male line (i.e. children of one of the monarch's sons) are given princely titles. That is why Anne's children are untitled, but Andrew's daughters are princesses. Applying the same rule, Edward's children should be HRHs too, but were styled instead and are referred to in court circulars as children of an earl in the peerage of the UK.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent

The King's Aunts (Desirée and Cristina )Husbands and Children are untitled.
There will be to much RHH in Sweden this year 2 more Sofia and Madeine second Child.

Madeleine and Jonas and had to wait I think Princess Victoria's Official Annoncement.

Their Engagment failed , Madeleine went to NY and met Chris.

Very quickly they annonced their Engagement....they married , had to quickly their first Child and now Problems before the birth of their second Child.

Never had a good Opinion about Madeleine , Cris and his Family.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Urgh. So, is it something so dreadful if her first engagement failed and she got a familiy quickly afterwards? i don't understand this.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
IMHO it would have been better if the children of both CP as Madeleine would be HH Prince(ss) Bernadotte.
Quote:
But unlike the belgian King the swedish King can not create new noble titles. He can only decide about the title of the mbers of the royal Family.
Prince(ss) NN Bernadotte is possible, and there is a precedent. The style of Highness is, I believe, unprecedented in Sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Andrew's daughters are princesses.
In addition, the children of Prince Joachim of Denmark, Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent of Belgium, Prince Félix and Prince Louis of Luxembourg, and Princes Max, Constantin, Philipp, and Nikolaus of Liechtenstein - some of whom were born after the heir to the throne had children - have royal titles.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Elena/Cristina's children hold no titles but they are styled 'His/ Her Excellency Don/Doña ' and are Grandes de España,slightly different to the children of the Princess Royal.
That is right:

Su Exelencia Don Felipe de Marichalar y Borbón, Grande de España, Caballero Divisero Hijodalgo del Ilustre Solar de Tejada

Su Excelencia Doña Victoria de Marichalar y Borbón, Grande de España

Old 02-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It is sad, that many people read these gossip magazines, and believe them. Of course, if the press continues like this, Madeleine could get the people's sympathy. And there aren't any negative articles about Carl Philip and Sofia, and the articles about Victoria and Daniel are normally guessing if Victoria is pregnant again.
That I find strange. Stranger than strange. Of course, it may be a 'honeymoon period'? The gossip mags will wait until after the wedding to plague them? Might be off-topic because not directly about Chris and Madeleine, but observation still holds.

I also agree about the lack of real evidence about these fights. Strange, too, that no one is spilling the beans about what they are suppose to be fighting about.

BTW I don't recall this kind of press before they decided to leave NYC. Has this always been so? Has Chris been the object of such negative press right along?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:07 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Urgh. So, is it something so dreadful if her first engagement failed and she got a familiy quickly afterwards? i don't understand this.
I agree. It wasnt' even that quick. They dated two years and before announcing their engagement, they have lived together for a year. Imo, you could see if something is working or not, especially if you are are around you thirties.

It's hard to say if they are having problems or not. They could have a stormy relationship, but good for them. Or their fights are just overblown. Or they have issues. One thing is sure, they are adjusting to many things, so it's not that easy.
But Madeleine seems happy in her appearences.

Quote:
BTW I don't recall this kind of press before they decided to leave NYC. Has this always been so? Has Chris been the object of such negative press right along?
Not so strong, but it was there. Around the wedding they made a fuss about something like the Cayman island that is common in finance. They have never liked him.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fra85 View Post
I agree. It wasnt' even that quick. They dated two years and before announcing their engagement, they have lived together for a year. Imo, you could see if something is working or not, especially if you are are around you thirties.

It's hard to say if they are having problems or not. They could have a stormy relationship, but good for them. Or their fights are just overblown. Or they have issues. One thing is sure, they are adjusting to many things, so it's not that easy.

But Madeleine seems happy in her appearences.
She is pregnant. Not always the most even-keeled time.

I agree, too, about having a stormy relationship! Good for them (if that's the case!)
Old 02-12-2015, 10:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Chris was at first seen as a playboy in some articles. And the press, even financial press in Sweden, wrote negative articles about him when it was found out that he worked in a hedge fund, and had connections to Cayman Islands.
Just before the wedding Madeleine was caught of driving at the bus lane and there were big headlines.
After the wedding Chris and Madeleine were angry that their honeymoon photos were published. And the media was angry to them because they didn't give any interviews before the wedding and Madeleine published photos from their honeymoon at her Facebook, even though they claimed that they wanted to be private.

There has also been columns about Madeleine during the years, here is one after Leonore was born:
"Or her wedding which was garnished by young folk musicians from Hälsingland, whom she did not condescend to give a glance."
En sagolik hertiginna - helahalsingland.se

Where do these kind of opinions come? Does a columnist at a newspaper lie? I read this column last year and it has been in my mind ever since.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I am glad Mrs Eva Maria Walter did not receive a Swedish Royal Decoration as Mr and Mrs Westling and the Family Sommerlath!
Old 02-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
But unlike the belgian King the swedish King can not create new noble titles. He can only decide about the title of the mbers of the royal Family. But i think they should have followed the example from Norway. That Madeleine's children get the surname of ther father but are in line of succession. If nneded they could stuill be created Prince/Princess later.
Thanks for that information Stefan. So that is perhaps why some princes received the Bernadotte title from GDss Charlotte of Luxembourg?

In that case, I suppose gender equality means that if CP's children will be HRH Prince(ss) X, so should the children of Madeleine.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Majesty

I have glanced at this thread with considerable interest and the impression I get is that there is almost media campaign going on in, if not discrediting M&C then certainly being very critical indeed. But is that really the case?

There have been a number of examples of negative stories. But aren't there always an x number of negative stories over a given period?
What is the comparison in regards to negative/critical stories counted against the positive stories? Does the negative coverage far outweigh the positive press?
Who are writing the negative stories/columns? Are they predominantly by republicans or people who have a history of criticizing the SRF anyway?
How credible/influential/respected are the journalists or columnists writing negative stories about M&C?
Are we talking about the politically correct "opinion elite" (whom no one would listen to if the rest of the "opinion elite" didn't they were oh so interesting)?
How many of these articles would make you and Swedes in general sit up and listen? I.e which are most respectable and credible.

And last but by no means least: What is the word on the street in Sweden?

- A lot of questions, I know. But perhaps we should try and turn the issue around in this debate and have a critical look at the press. That would perhaps result in a more nuanced view.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

What I really dont understand is the trashing of M and C in the media, where as SH has had a free ride from the press, with a much deeper treasure trove of scandalous pics to mine.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
What I really dont understand is the trashing of M and C in the media, where as SH has had a free ride from the press, with a much deeper treasure trove of scandalous pics to mine.
Right-on! 'Tis a puzzle.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:30 AM
Courtier

I think Madeleine's main sin with the media is that she's a young, attractive woman who's not interested in playing their game. She's a potential goldmine if only she'd cooperate with them. They can try and dress things up with pompous articles about Swedish democracy and the apparently beleaguered Swedish taxpayer, but come on. If she was a bland middle aged man the press wouldn't care because bland middle aged men don't sell, no matter what they do, (or don't do).
Old 02-13-2015, 04:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

And what do you think that this makes for the public opinion?
"Chris's unknown fortune at a tax haven"
http://z.cdn-expressen.se/images/df/...822/502@70.jpg

I put the article to the O'Neill family thread, because his father founded the company in Liechtenstein and his sisters are involved.
The Family of Chris O'Neill

Many people see the cover of Expressen and read it. What does a common Swede who tries to get a long with a small salary, think of this? Even if this wasn't true, people have seen the cover (if it isn't true, Chris must deny it soon). And what it does to the royal family? Maybe people think that if Chris has/has had money at a tax haven, maybe the royal family has money there too?

I can confess that when I see the words "tax haven", I see red...
Old 02-13-2015, 04:22 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I have glanced at this thread with considerable interest and the impression I get is that there is almost media campaign going on in, if not discrediting M&C then certainly being very critical indeed. But is that really the case?

There have been a number of examples of negative stories. But aren't there always an x number of negative stories over a given period?
What is the comparison in regards to negative/critical stories counted against the positive stories? Does the negative coverage far outweigh the positive press?
Who are writing the negative stories/columns? Are they predominantly by republicans or people who have a history of criticizing the SRF anyway?
How credible/influential/respected are the journalists or columnists writing negative stories about M&C?
Are we talking about the politically correct "opinion elite" (whom no one would listen to if the rest of the "opinion elite" didn't they were oh so interesting)?
How many of these articles would make you and Swedes in general sit up and listen? I.e which are most respectable and credible.

And last but by no means least: What is the word on the street in Sweden?

- A lot of questions, I know. But perhaps we should try and turn the issue around in this debate and have a critical look at the press. That would perhaps result in a more nuanced view.
I can answer for myself and while I'm not from Sweden, I'm married to one. The people I meet don't really care about the royal family. And this is quite common in the younger generations. They don't think it's necessary.

About the positive stories, MC dont get any.
About the writers, it's both people that have always been critical and people that write well about the RF. i.e. Lindwall is really positive about Sofia.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fra85 View Post
About the positive stories, MC dont get any.
About the writers, it's both people that have always been critical and people that write well about the RF. i.e. Lindwall is really positive about Sofia.
But Lindwall wrote very positive articles about Chris at least until the wedding. He praised Chris very much when he met Chris, Madeleine and the queen at Childhood event in USA, when Chris had said "but Johan, of course I know who you are". And Lindwall praised Chris's speech at the wedding.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:23 AM
Commoner

Quote:
But Lindwall wrote very positive articles about Chris at least until the wedding. He praised Chris very much when he met Chris, Madeleine and the queen at Childhood event in USA, when Chris had said "but Johan, of course I know who you are". And Lindwall praised Chris's speech at the wedding.
You are right. I didnt remember.

What makes me curious is why they felt the need to bring back M&C. I don't think Chris was eager and Madeleine could have been happy in London.
While I do think they will move to London next year, it was a mistake to make them come back. This caused a mess and media are attacking them more than if they stayed in USA or UK.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:49 AM
Royal Highness

Maybe she was homesick and wanted to be with her family.
Especially as she's having another baby all girls need their mums at these times even if they have nannies etc there is no one like your mum.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine